• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: The Definitive Trilogy Reveal Trailer

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It's remade in Unreal Engine 4. The old trilogy used RenderWare. Look at the comparison pictures - it's clearly remade.

Not much of a difference (SotC Vs. GTA).

Just because R* went for the 'classic look', it's still a remake.

Arh ok, although To me SOTC remakes looks like it got a greater visual improvement.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Arh ok, although To me SOTC remakes looks like it got a greater visual improvement.
Absolutely. Remakes are not an indication of quality - everyone can make a remake. Change engine (not compatible with original) or (re)make everything from the ground up in the same engine.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The originals were a bit cartoony but I don't think they intended the characters to look like this. I wish Tommy looked more accurate.

Have they mentioned HDR?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
-- "Rockstar is totally going to do less than the bare minimum because they are lazy"

>>> Rockstar releases a trailer showing that the remasters are much more than bare minimum

-- "this looks like garbage, why do the characters look like Fortnite. Fuck Rockstar"

Mt-Z9-N-1.gif
So doing more than the bare minimum but doing it poorly is now ok “hey, we did not do just the bare minimum, shut up” ?!?

I do not think it looks like shit, but I see this logic often and it does not sound as sound as you make it look like here IMHO.

Vae_Victis

Banned
-- "Rockstar is totally going to do less than the bare minimum because they are lazy"

>>> Rockstar releases a trailer showing that the remasters are much more than bare minimum

-- "this looks like garbage, why do the characters look like Fortnite. Fuck Rockstar"

Mt-Z9-N-1.gif
You know you can put effort into things and the result can still be bad, right?

"Well they tried, so now you have to like it and buy it!"

Mt-Z9-N-1.gif

i did expect the bare minimum from rockstar but i'm quite happy with what i've seen so far. i've learned not to have unrealistic expectations but expect the worst. too many times people set high expectations and then get pissed off when it doesn't work out that way.

i'm a bit pissed that it's not on steam but i'll be there day 1.

cormack12

Gold Member
Reminds me a bit of the telltale art style on iOS for GoT. I think we're seeing the limitation of how far they could push different elements based on the hardware they are supporting. I mean look at Avery, wtf. I'm sure it will look better in actual gameplay though.

balt1kr1s

I’m having some laugh at this.
Seen this trailer like 15 mins after it has been uploaded and thought: “this is going to get shit load of downvotes”.
And how wrong I was! This is an absolute minimum effort garbage, so fellow gamers? Where are the petitions? Plans for review bombing? Death threats to devs? ROFL
But realised that Nintendo is getting away the same shit on daily basis so should not be that surprised?
Cant wait for Switch port with 20 fps for everyone go get excited.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Based on the trailer, there are original voices and if you listen closely quality is terrible for some of them.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I thought this would be a low effort remaster, but it looks nice? Interested in the Switch version if it doesn't run like crap

Excess

I swear to god I'm just gonna suck it up and buy some Take-Two stock because I know there's enough idiots out there who will buy this. I may as well benefit from it.

The most important question that nobody is asking: Are the cheat codes still in all these games or has the inclusion of achievements forced them out?

dotnotbot

The most important question that nobody is asking: Are the cheat codes still in all these games or has the inclusion of achievements forced them out?

PS4 versions had achievements (trophies) and cheats. Using some of the cheats would block you from earning anymore trophies and that's it.

Last edited:
This comparison is eye opening.

I imagine a lot of us growing up with these games always remember it looking like the below picture. When you see them next to each other, you really start to notice all the extra details and colour that has been added in to it.

Thanks to your posts I'm even more excited for this now. Just seeing it right there in front of you and how blurry the original was. It's crazy how the mind fills in the blanks for you.

This comparison is eye opening.

I imagine a lot of us growing up with these games always remember it looking like the below picture. When you see them next to each other, you really start to notice all the extra details and colour that has been added in to it.

Thanks to your posts I'm even more excited for this now. Just seeing it right there in front of you and how blurry the original was. It's crazy how the mind fills in the blanks for you.
The comparison is crap.
First picture shows the shitty lod system.

In reality the buildings never looked that pixelated even on the ps2.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: The Definitive Edition is a remaster and update of the original beloved games for PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S/One, Nintendo Switch, and mobile. Here's everything we know from Rockstar Games' announcement, from release date to graphics.

I'm tempted to buy this. I just expected the games to release upscaled with some basic gameplay adjustments. I didn't expect characters and objects to be remade, lighting and shadows to be redone and environments to be tweaked. This is so much more meaningful that what I had expected.

Wasn't excited before, but pretty hyped now. San Andreas just being dumped into Game Pass took it from likely pass territory to would be crazy not to try cause of the memories, and I may end up buying the whole thing now.

Yeah, i didn't expect anything, and this is a pleasant surprise. The graphics do look cartoony, but whatever, i'll take it because of the improved controls and gameplay.

Cannot wait to play these games again.

I'm tempted to buy this. I just expected the games to release upscaled with some basic gameplay adjustments. I didn't expect characters and objects to be remade, lighting and shadows to be redone and environments to be tweaked. This is so much more meaningful that what I had expected.

The updated controls and improved gunplay is what sold me.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It will be interesting to try and gauge if SA being on Game Pass gives people a reason to go and buy the trilogy. There's a lot of skepticism so if the most liked title in the series can land well it might actually lead to a lot more purchases. I'm sure there is some sort of clause about this in the contract because there will be an upgrade button in the game I'm sure.

Romulus

My problem is the general movement in these games hasn't aged well at all. RDR2 and GTA5 didn't feel good compared to most other 3rd person games either so I'm guessing this will be more of the same.

The best comparison I've seen so far. Really shows how great of an improvement the Definitive Editions are.

IgRt1oq.png

yYpnRn9.png

Also, I wouldn't worry about character models just yet. Could be that they used different, older builds in trailer/screenshots.

imgonline-com-ua-2to1-3-Cr9fwk-G8-Wgf.png

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

The best comparison I've seen so far. Really shows how great of an improvement the Definitive Editions are.

Also, I wouldn't worry about character models just yet. Could be that they used different, older builds in trailer/screenshots.

imgonline-com-ua-2to1-3-Cr9fwk-G8-Wgf.png

improvement ?!
Other models? Nope. It is ready and done. Probably seeing cutscene and gameplay models differences
It really looks worse the more I look at it

Top Bottom