• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition - PS5 Gameplay (Game out in NZ Storefront)

rubhen925

NZ version out today. Got a chance to check out all 3 games on both Fidelity and Performance modes. Here's some info:

- Each game has a separate game app on the PS5.
- GTA San Andreas Def Edition size is 22.97 GB with update 1.01
- GTA 3 Def Edition size is 5.44 GB with update 1.01
- GTA Vice City Def Edition size is 11.31 with update 1.01
- the remastered versions of these games come with new lighting and environment upgrades, high res textures, and GTA 5 style controls and gunplay.
- Game has Fidelity mode and Performance mode
- Fidelity runs at 4K but FPS is not 60. It's 30+ uncapped. Not consistent. Not 60, nor is it 30. somewhere in the middle there.
- Performance mode is upscaled 4K and 60FPS
- has options for draw distance, bloom, lens flare, and motion blur to be turned off
- No in game HDR settings, just using the PS5 one.
- I noticed pop in and vehicles spawning out of thin air and despawning. Fences and building randomly appearing etc. This happens a lot more in Performance mode than it does in Fidelity.
- Noticed some drops in fps even in performance mode while in tight alleys and really fast driving moments.
- When driving really quickly and making a hard turn and swiveling the camera you can notice some screen tears. Only time I noticed it but this is an extreme case.
- No real improvements to the audio. Felt the same. Wish they cleaned this up a bit for 2021
- rain effects look great imo, and I'm digging the color and lighting.
- Someone asked me about save transfer so you can auto pop trophies. No dice. There isn't an option for this sorry.
- I had one issue with Vice City. I would be playing and randomly the game would boot me back to dashboard and it won't let me play the game. Had to reinstall it for it to work. It seems to be a bug or some issue with Sony's back end.

If there's any other questions do let me know. I'll do my best to answer them. I'll update the post with fidelity and performance clips. There's a lot of music claims and blocks to fight through as usual with these games.

GTA San Andreas - Definitive Edition - PS5 Fidelity Mode Gameplay:

GTA San Andreas - Definitive Edition - PS5 Performance Mode Gameplay:

GTA 3 - Definitive Edition - PS5 Fidelity Mode Gameplay:

GTA 3 - Definitive Edition - PS5 Performance Mode Gameplay:

GTA Vice City - Definitive Edition - PS5 Performance Mode Gameplay:

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

How the fuck are near 20 year old games not struggling to maintain 60fps on console?
Coding Monkey Business GIF by Checkmate Digital

These were the devs

ClosBSAS

How the fuck are near 20 year old games not struggling to maintain 60fps on console?
just like crysis cant be played at 60fps due to the coding and the cpu issues. same shit here most likely. gta 4 on pc is still unplayable at 60fps to this day cause its so badly optimized.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Audio quality fucking sucks, was it like that with PC version back in the day? I don't remember it like that.

TheMan

Were any change made to mission structure or perhaps extra activities for 3? I imagine the game is going to feel pretty outdated even with better controls

Also, anyone know if I can change my location to NZ and dl san andreas on gamepass?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Audio quality fucking sucks, was it like that with PC version back in the day? I don't remember it like that.

I'm sure San Andreas at least had EAX on PC that did DSP on sound effects when you were in tunnels and the like. Not sure that was on consoles though.

This looks a bit wank really. I hate the way light sources from explosions look at night, it looks like an unreal engine demo that was thrown together in an afternoon. Its because the environment doesn't have much geometry, like the original, but if they were adding new lighting they should've made sure it gels with the environment.

The framerate not being locked is kind of baffling. Like... what the hell was their target HW?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm sure San Andreas at least had EAX on PC that did DSP on sound effects when you were in tunnels and the like. Not sure that was on consoles though.

This looks a bit wank really. I hate the way light sources from explosions look at night, it looks like an unreal engine demo that was thrown together in an afternoon. Its because the environment doesn't have much geometry, like the original, but if they were adding new lighting they should've made sure it gels with the environment.

The framerate not being locked is kind of baffling. Like... what the hell was their target HW?
I was buying Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS just for the game.

just like crysis cant be played at 60fps due to the coding and the cpu issues. same shit here most likely. gta 4 on pc is still unplayable at 60fps to this day cause its so badly optimized.
wasn't there a similar thing with Watch Dogs 2 and Saints Row 2 on PC. like ppl with high end PCs still coudn't get 60fps constant

It sucks how Rockstar is treating video game royalty. These games should get Mafia 1 type remakes, that is how important they are. Or at least better than android based, still buggy ports with slightly better graphics.
I agree. Lazy remasters at full price. Maybe if enough people complain they will release GTA 6 footage to appease fans. Since these are so dissapointing. My guess is that they ride that GTA 5 cash cow as long as possible.

stn

How do you like the new shooting controls? If you've played the original games, how do the new controls compare to the old controls???

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's not a PS5 native game, it's PS4 game in BC mode.
That's what I thought at first, but someone mentioned there being seperate PS5 and PS4 versions to download when they initially pre ordered. So now I'm confused. Although this would explain why there's no PS5 physical copy available to pre order

Top Bottom