• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

saintjules

FBL8J3hXEAITnY8

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Imagine you had an artist work on a painting for you for literal years and then at the last minute you said:

"Oh yeah btw I'm going to take what you deliver to me and then take a photo on a shitty camera and then print that picture out on some cheap A4 paper I have laying around and then burn the original, that cool?"

Obviously a proper artist who serves customer will say yes/do what you want with it, but they will still be a bit upset inside I'm sure. Like the artists who made this little ditty thats been destroyed by Twitter encoding quality.

Thanks for reading my weekly blogpost: Complaining about how artists are getting shafted by modern media delivery methods.

Join me next week for: Why spend millions on a 4K CGI trailer if you are just going to compress it into oblivion anyway and not even allow outlets access to the direct feed version.

Neilg

Imagine you had an artist work on a painting for you for literal years and then at the last minute you said:

"Oh yeah btw I'm going to take what you deliver to me and then take a photo on a shitty camera and then print that picture out on some cheap A4 paper I have laying around and then burn the original, that cool?"

Obviously a proper artist who serves customer will say yes/do what you want with it, but they will still be a bit upset inside I'm sure. Like the artists who made this little ditty thats been destroyed by Twitter encoding quality.

Thanks for reading my weekly blogpost: Complaining about how artists are getting shafted by modern media delivery methods.

Join me next week for: Why spend millions on a 4K CGI trailer if you are just going to compress it into oblivion anyway and not even allow outlets access to the direct feed version.

What in the fuck are you on about. the artists are salaried and in-house, they created the work FOR the delivery method. It will have been tested and refined with the exact compression in mind.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy — The Definitive Edition is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows PC (via the Rockstar Games Launcher), Xbox One, and Xbox Series X in 2021. The collection is also coming to Android and iOS devices in 2022.
The release of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy — The Definitive Edition is timed with the 20th anniversary of Grand Theft Auto 3's original release on PlayStation 2. Rockstar said on its website that it plans to celebrate the anniversary in Grand Theft Auto Online, promising commemorative clothing and liveries, and teasing "some unusual activity occurring in and around Southern San Andreas."

A lot of PC users are getting mad.

This coming to basically every platform confirms this is a mild upgrade.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's probably going to updated codebase of the old ones, I don't think this will be some remake or something. Renderware, etc...

MiguelItUp

I'm not getting excited until I see it in action. At this point, it sounds like they're just HD remakes without any other real adjustments. Higher resolution, better textures, etc. I was hoping for a LITTLE bit more than that. Just a LITTLE.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

What in the fuck are you on about. the artists are salaried and in-house, they created the work FOR the delivery method. It will have been tested and refined with the exact compression in mind.

How can you know that? Do you think marketing staff care about preserving the quality of the source video? Not in my experience working at the customer level in different fields where I'd often get versions of videos I can find in better quality on youtube. It wasn't limited by the space on the medium they delivered it to me on, I'd guess more by the level of expertise of the marketing staff, or how much time they had to prepare the content from the artists to give to the customer facing staff.

Its noticeablly affected by the compression, even though its pretty simple imagery. I'm only bringing it up because it wasn't like this even a few years back and you can see plenty of examples of videos on youtube where they know how to maintain the quality even though the re-encode. They could easily make it look better than that.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Here is the official blogpost :https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...ogy-the-definitive-edition-and-more-coming-so

Later this month marks a very special anniversary for Rockstar Games: 20 years since the original release of Grand Theft Auto III — the game that set players loose in the sprawling, three-dimensional metropolis of Liberty City with a new and unprecedented sense of freedom and immersion. In addition to carving a new path for the open world genre, Grand Theft Auto III established Grand Theft Auto as a cultural phenomenon, alongside its two subsequent — and equally legendary — entries in the series, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

We’d like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all the Grand Theft Auto fans who have supported the games over the past two decades. Your love and appreciation for these games has helped push the Grand Theft Auto series forward with every iteration.
Images Need Alt Text

In honor of the upcoming anniversary, today we are excited to announce that all three games will be coming to current generation platforms later this year in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and the Rockstar Games Launcher on PC. Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will feature across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements for all three titles, while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals. We’re extremely excited to share more about these groundbreaking titles in the coming weeks — stay tuned!

To prepare for launch, we will begin removing existing versions of the classic titles from digital retailers next week. For more information, please visit Rockstar Games Support. In addition, Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will be coming to iOS and Android in the first half of 2022.

Plus, as part of the 20th anniversary celebration for GTAIII, look for a cavalcade of special gear to collect in Grand Theft Auto Online throughout upcoming events this Fall, including commemorative clothing and liveries.

Images Need Alt Text

We’ll have more details on how to acquire these in the weeks ahead as part of our ongoing events in GTA Online. This month’s GTA Online events will also have some special surprises — including the upcoming possibility of some unusual activity occurring in and around Southern San Andreas...

We are also continuing to improve and evolve GTA Online. As you may have noticed, we recently began cycling select Adversary Modes and Player Jobs in and out of the game. GTA Online offers a hugely diverse array of gameplay, hosting over 1,000 Rockstar-created Jobs and tens of millions more player-created Jobs since launch. By beginning to cycle the Rockstar-created Jobs in and out of the game over time, not only will we be freeing up space for new missions and modes in the future, but we are also improving the game’s matchmaking by focusing the community on a more streamlined list of Jobs from week-to-week.

This will also allow us to bring back Jobs at various times for special or seasonal events and help reduce some of the lesser-liked Jobs, as well as helping surface some of our slept-on classics or the community’s quirkier favorites alongside special bonuses, like this past week’s return of Offense Defense, Sumo, and more.

We are also looking at ways to improve the GTA Online experience for new and returning players in the upcoming release of GTA Online for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S next March – stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for details on this and more information about the expanded and enhanced releases of GTAV and GTA Online in the months to come.

And later this year, get ready to go on an exciting new adventure in GTA Online as some well-known contacts and familiar friends need your help in expanding their “legit business” — with many more surprises soon to be revealed!

Top Bottom