• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

To be fair, the thing you are talking about applies to almost all development teams. We've seen development take longer and be more expensive on all fronts.

Even to say "relaunch GTAV for the 3rd time" is irrelevant as you could argue they fucking did that with all their other titles, that isn't new to then be like "what happened" lol That is the norm for them tbh. That would be like seeing Capcom port a Resident Evil and be like "what happened" lol

Putting out 1 game a generation and condensing their teams has also allowed them to avoid the issues you even see currently from Ubisoft and other publishers in the first place. Those same fucking teams are attacked for this um "copy and paste" or "reskin" claim that people love throwing around.

So I'd say....8 to 9 years to put out a solid open world title with free MP, in a large world with really good NPC etc might REALLY be what it takes to actually do that concept properly.

So...Rockstar can put out more titles like you listed, but how the fuck do we know you wouldn't then just start attacking them and say something like "Rockstar is trying hard to be more annoying than Ubisoft" =)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They can afford to wait, I say let them take their time, you already know what the alternative is to doing that btw, many publishers cut corners this gen to then attack the one team that really put time in a open world title vs shitting one out lol
really-word.gif

Rival

Gold Member
A 970 being recommended gives me hope these will look decent since the old versions could run on a toaster.

stn

Word is they are making the controls to be like GTA V. Assuming they don't mess this up, I am really looking forward to this now.

I also wonder what work they are doing audio wise, especially with the voice acting. Gtaiii in particular is rough to listen to these days. Sounds like they recorded it on an iPhone in someone's pocket or something.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I have yet to play any of these games. The mobile version is rather tempting.

amigastar

Honestly, i'm curious how the GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition will turn out. I hope it will deliver a modern and fresh experience.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can someone please remove Trailer from the tags

Eveytime I see this thread it gets me coming in expecting a damn trailer!

bitbydeath

Looking at the specs, I think we seriously underestimated how big of an upgrade this is going to be.

UE5 is scalable which is how this can reach as low as mobiles. I think it’s classed as a remaster because of the porting between engines but in the end it will look as good as a remake.

Looking at the specs, I think we seriously underestimated how big of an upgrade this is going to be.

UE5 is scalable which is how this can reach as low as mobiles. I think it’s classed as a remaster because of the porting between engines but in the end it will look as good as a remake.
Replaying GTA San Andreas on a modern graphics engine would be a dream come true.

SliChillax

I think it's UE4 not 5

I am slightly interested in this now I know they've hopefully sorted out the controls for the games, I still wouldn't pay full price for this collection though as I'm certainly not that interested in it. It will be interesting to see how much of a polish the graphics have had too, I know they mention a few improvements but with parts of this anthology being twenty years old it doesn't necessarily mean that much.
Hopefully the games will at least be able to hold a stable 1080/60 as a minimum on the newer consoles, I don't think that's a lot to expect on PS5 and Series X.

Banned
People complain about the physics in the new games but the old ones feel terrible to play now, so stiff and just not fun. I would much rather these remasters feel more like the modern games.

so a game that feels a bit stiff vs. games that are almost not controllable due to all the input delay, animation delay, animation AI doing what it wants and shitty aim controls?

no thx. GTA 3-SA on PC played perfectly fine, just convert those KB&M controls to controller and be done with it
Hell, GTA Vice City on fucking Android using touch controls plays better than GTA5

Last edited:

bitbydeath

GTA5 style controls? so basically they will ruin the games? got it!

there's almost nothing worse than modern Rockstar games controls... GTA5 and RDR2 are such terrible games in big part exactly because of the controls
Been a while since I played GTAV but I don’t remember it ever being RDR2 bad.

Banned
Been a while since I played GTAV but I don’t remember it ever being RDR2 bad.

not quite, but close. it happens a lot that the euphoria engine takes over and just ruins a jump or going into cover.

often when you try to jump over a small gap between buildings your character will just go into some sort of free fall mode, basically becoming a ragdoll for no apparent reason.

either way, Vice City on PC has way better controls than any modern Rockstar game

so a game that feels a bit stiff vs. games that are almost not controllable due to all the input delay, animation delay, animation AI doing what it wants and shitty aim controls?

no thx. GTA 3-SA on PC played perfectly fine, just convert those KB&M controls to controller and be done with it
Hell, GTA Vice City on fucking Android using touch controls plays better than GTA5

Millions and millions of people seem to get by just fine with the controls? This seems like a you issue if anything?

Banned
Millions and millions of people seem to get by just fine with the controls? This seems like a you issue if anything?

millions and millions of people were fine with 240ms of input latency in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

millions and millions of people love the music of Justin Bieber.

Millions and millions also play Fortnite with touch controls at 15-20fps on a mid range phone.

doesn't mean that all of these things aren't pure, bottom of the barrel trash tho. Just like the controls of RDR2 and GTA5

Last edited:

bitbydeath

not quite, but close. it happens a lot that the euphoria engine takes over and just ruins a jump or going into cover.

often when you try to jump over a small gap between buildings your character will just go into some sort of free fall mode, basically becoming a ragdoll for no apparent reason.

either way, Vice City on PC has way better controls than any modern Rockstar game
Hopefully Unreal will work out some of those kinks.

Banned
Hopefully Unreal will work out some of those kinks.

I just hope they don't implement Euphoria into it... that is the main culprit... and whoever at Rockstar thought it was appropriate to implement that into the player controls should never work in the field again.

the The Force Unleashed devs were sane enough ton only use it on enemies, which is what that engine was actually meant for

unless it was a remaster or remake of GTA 1, 2 and London '69.. im not buying.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread as it’s only appropriate to remaster those titles too and release another collection. Though I’m doubtful people will buy that one as much as this.

millions and millions of people were fine with 240ms of input latency in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

millions and millions of people love the music of Justin Bieber.

Millions and millions also play Fortnite with touch controls at 15-20fps on a mid range phone.

doesn't mean that all of these things aren't pure, bottom of the barrel trash tho. Just like the controls of RDR2 and GTA5

AngelicNegativeAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

EDMIX

GTA5 style controls? so basically they will ruin the games? got it!

there's almost nothing worse than modern Rockstar games controls... GTA5 and RDR2 are such terrible games in big part exactly because of the controls

Let me start off by saying I love the GTA series, GTA III, VC and SA are amazing titles and nothing can ever take away from that, but sir.....lets not pretend that they didn't make advancements in controls with GTAIV or V, its just silly.

The controls in GTAV imho are completely fine and just as good if not better then IV or the games prior. RDR2's controls are fine, I'd say its the odd animations and strange delay with certain things that make it a weird game to play at the start, but once you pick up on them you are able to do many things, keep in mind, I'd even say GTAV's controls could have helped RDR2 GREATLY, as why the fuck would I need to hold down several buttons to pick some shit up? Its 1 button in GTAV, getting the weapons on the wheel is easier to do in GTAV and should not have been messed with in RDR2 as I don't even know why they made it to where it reset all the time which is odd asf.

Either way, RDR2's has some issues in that regard, but I would never go as far as to say "terrible" and GTAV simply doesn't fit that shit, as you are talking about one of the most accessible open world games ever created.

They have a solid reason why the industry chases after GTA V right now. You just don't have much if any open world titles that manage to get all those elements done correctly in terms of shooting, driving cars, boats, planes, helicopter etc

Keep in mind, the argument of a game moving over 100 million units is a testament to its accessibility, I don't fucking see 100 million people just randomly buying a game they can't control or feels sluggish etc.

Out of all the major series, Watchdogs, Mafia, Just Cause etc, GTA V gets all those elements done right. Those other titles do many great things btw, they also don't fucking do ALL the elements as well as GTA V, so it makes sense that they would make the remakes have updated controls, why would you ignore 100 million?

So all of them are just lying and really fucking hate the game? Dear god man, you can't really be this desperate to pretend everyone must hate what you hate.

Last edited:
basically you have no rebuttle because you now see how dumb it is to use "millions like it therefore good" as an argument...

got it
you got it GIF by Dancing with the Stars

either that or you still think this is an intelligent argument and you then agree to this being among the best TV shows ever made
R.b529a4c760c3de0111db6adc9de367a6

Me bringing up millions of people had nothing to do with it being good or bad, it was a direct "rebuttal" to you essentially saying these games are unplayable. That the controls are so horrific they are "almost not controllable". Meanwhile millions upon millions manage to get by just fine with the controls, hence me saying this sounds like a you problem. You can't just ignore the fact that millions and millions of players are the greatest testament to the accessibility of the game, and if the controls were "almost not controllable" I doubt it would have gotten so mainstream and went on to sell 150,000,000+ copies.

Beyond your flagrant display of completely misunderstanding and misrepresenting what was a very basic and clear response to something you said...this is your opinion. Your opinion is obviously based upon subjective parameters that you are incredibly passionate about and your frothy style of posting makes it very clear any sort of discussion with you on this topic would be akin to having a conversation with a barn wall.

Last edited:

They aren't just a bit stiff they feel awful and I have no real problem controlling the modern games at all, I love what the physics adds especially when knocking other people around lol.

Marty-McFly

Banned
So this is better for Switch owners than GTA V

Welcome home Rockstar

"Three iconic cities, three epic stories. Play the genre-defining classics of the original Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas updated for a new generation, now with across-the-board enhancements including brilliant new lighting and environmental upgrades, high-resolution textures, increased draw distances, Grand Theft Auto V-style controls and targeting, and much more, bringing these beloved worlds to life with all new levels of detail."

nahcir

Neo Member
You can trigger this yourself at any time. On the PlayStation you jump using the square button, if you press the circle button while in mid-air, you become a ragdoll. My guess would be that you pressed that button? Or you just straight up jumped up against a wall with your face, in which case you may also become a ragdoll ;-)

GriffinCorp

Is it unrealistic to think we might have a chance of this dropping next week for the 20th Anniversary of GTAIII?

I cannot begin to tell you how much these game impacted my childhood, countless hours of entrainment going into high school and counting down the hours until I could get back to Liberty City. So nostalgic just listening to the music which I'm expecting some changes, but hoping they really tried to get most of the music rights for these releases. Either way I've been asking for this years and it's almost here. I'm like a kid at Christmas time.

Top Bottom