• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

mortal

Gold Member
Capture.jpg

Looking forward to this updated sign.
This will be indicative of how much care and attention to detail went into the remaster.

Last edited:
Is it unrealistic to think we might have a chance of this dropping next week for the 20th Anniversary of GTAIII?

I cannot begin to tell you how much these game impacted my childhood, countless hours of entrainment going into high school and counting down the hours until I could get back to Liberty City. So nostalgic just listening to the music which I'm expecting some changes, but hoping they really tried to get most of the music rights for these releases. Either way I've been asking for this years and it's almost here. I'm like a kid at Christmas time.

It’s heavily rumoured to launch in November.

We may get a trailer and release date next week though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If I wanted to be stupidly optimistic I could assume that Rockstar is keeping everything quiet so that they can surprise us when these end up being decent upgrades.

Realistically speaking as long as the controls are modernized somewhat, I think these will be OK.

GTA 3 is the one I have no interest in replaying though.

amigastar

Is it unrealistic to think we might have a chance of this dropping next week for the 20th Anniversary of GTAIII?

I cannot begin to tell you how much these game impacted my childhood, countless hours of entrainment going into high school and counting down the hours until I could get back to Liberty City. So nostalgic just listening to the music which I'm expecting some changes, but hoping they really tried to get most of the music rights for these releases. Either way I've been asking for this years and it's almost here. I'm like a kid at Christmas time.
Yeah, me too man. I love these GTA games especially 3.
I've read somewhere they will introduce and show gameplay of the Trilogy on the 20th October or somewhere around that date.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Rumored for a november release.
- and how dare you be excited for anything from Rockstar?! Haven't you heard why you're supposed to hate them?
You need to be more angry in this thread!

Right?
😉

GriffinCorp

Rumored for a november release.
- and how dare you be excited for anything from Rockstar?! Haven't you heard why you're supposed to hate them?
You need to be more angry in this thread!

Right?
😉
I know but I can't, these GTA's are in my top ten games of all time. They define my childhood.

I have been disappointed with Rockstar and their shitty trailers, starting with the 2020 PS5 show... Next gen starts on PS5 and they showed off PS3 footage mixed with PS4 - Kind of killed the mood. I didn't think it improved with the latest trailer for GTA V E&E either.

It's going to be pretty nice getting the trilogy and then in less than 6 months have access to GTAV for the 3rd time. I've pretty much purchased all the releases for all the consoles/PC.

I wasn't expecting a trilogy release for Switch so I will probably get it on Xbox/Switch first.

Fingers crossed for a trailer drop next week.

Falc67

I know but I can't, these GTA's are in my top ten games of all time. They define my childhood.

I have been disappointed with Rockstar and their shitty trailers, starting with the 2020 PS5 show... Next gen starts on PS5 and they showed off PS3 footage mixed with PS4 - Kind of killed the mood. I didn't think it improved with the latest trailer for GTA V E&E either.

It's going to be pretty nice getting the trilogy and then in less than 6 months have access to GTAV for the 3rd time. I've pretty much purchased all the releases for all the consoles/PC.

I wasn't expecting a trilogy release for Switch so I will probably get it on Xbox/Switch first.

Fingers crossed for a trailer drop next week.
You’ve purchased the console and PC versions? Have you played it modded as well?

Dont waste your money. Just wait until GTA 6 comes out man.

I can relate to this is some sense, although my experience was mostly unique to San Andreas.

The amount of hours, evenings and days that went into it was a lot, doing the most random shit like spawning jet packs, flying cars and even the CJ muscle cheat, also wasting hours trying to find Leatherface on my PS2 game (years later I realised it was a PC mod lol).

I could go on, but yeahh I’m really excited for this.

Soodanim

I can relate to this is some sense, although my experience was mostly unique to San Andreas.

The amount of hours, evenings and days that went into it was a lot, doing the most random shit like spawning jet packs, flying cars and even the CJ muscle cheat, also wasting hours trying to find Leatherface on my PS2 game (years later I realised it was a PC mod lol).

I could go on, but yeahh I’m really excited for this.
Speaking of which, San Andreas better have all 96 (or whatever the final number was) cheats in, all sorts of fun can be had there.

Banned
Me bringing up millions of people had nothing to do with it being good or bad, it was a direct "rebuttal" to you essentially saying these games are unplayable. That the controls are so horrific they are "almost not controllable". Meanwhile millions upon millions manage to get by just fine with the controls, hence me saying this sounds like a you problem. You can't just ignore the fact that millions and millions of players are the greatest testament to the accessibility of the game, and if the controls were "almost not controllable" I doubt it would have gotten so mainstream and went on to sell 150,000,000+ copies.

Beyond your flagrant display of completely misunderstanding and misrepresenting what was a very basic and clear response to something you said...this is your opinion. Your opinion is obviously based upon subjective parameters that you are incredibly passionate about and your frothy style of posting makes it very clear any sort of discussion with you on this topic would be akin to having a conversation with a barn wall.

there are literally people who unironically love Sonic 06 and think it's a good game.
I don't give half a fuck what other people think. I have hard data at hand that shows that the controls in RDR2 and GTA5 (to a lesser degree) are ridiculously unresponsive, that the aiming in these games is so bad that you have no other choice but to use a full on lock-on system and that the euphoria engine is so badly programmed and implemented into the game that the simply act of jumping across a gap between 2 buildings can randomly result in your character turning into a ragdoll, because the terribly implemented euphoria engine thinks "hey I'm above a big drop... TIME TO TURN ON RAGDOLL PHYSICS!"

this is all verifiable and backed up by facts.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I don't give a shit that we are still at a point where millions of people just accept terrible controls in videogames because 90% of "GAMERS" don't actually care about gameplay, gamedesign or anything that has to do with the basics of gaming, but rather only care about graphics and """"well written characters"""" (can't put enough quotation marks here because these well written characters would in any other medium be laughed at)

that's why millions play it and don't complain, because they don't give a shit that the games feel like ass to play, same reason why barely anyone ever mentioned the ungodly amount of input lag in games like Killzone 2 or Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One S) CUZ graphics are nice and that's all that matters to them.

sorry that my standards haven't sunk that low by now... 🙃
so my examples make total sense. other people like shitty things, that doesn't mean I won't shit on these shitty things, and among those shitty things is Rockstar Games' gamedesign and controls in the past 2 generations.

just because millions of people are totally fine playing PUBG or Fortnite on a fucking phone screen doesn't mean that it doesn't suck playing those games on a fucking phone screen, all it means is that the vast amount of people have very low standards

Last edited:
there are literally people who unironically love Sonic 06 and think it's a good game.
I don't give half a fuck what other people think. I have hard data at hand that shows that the controls in RDR2 and GTA5 (to a lesser degree) are ridiculously unresponsive, that the aiming in these games is so bad that you have no other choice but to use a full on lock-on system and that the euphoria engine is so badly programmed and implemented into the game that the simply act of jumping across a gap between 2 buildings can randomly result in your character turning into a ragdoll, because the terribly implemented euphoria engine thinks "hey I'm above a big drop... TIME TO TURN ON RAGDOLL PHYSICS!"

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I don't give a shit that we are still at a point where millions of people just accept terrible controls in videogames because 90% of "GAMERS" don't actually care about gameplay, gamedesign or anything that has to do with the basics of gaming, but rather only care about graphics and """"well written characters"""" (can't put enough quotation marks here because these well written characters would in any other medium be laughed at)

that's why millions play it and don't complain, because they don't give a shit that the games feel like ass to play, same reason why barely anyone ever mentioned the ungodly amount of input lag in games like Killzone 2 or Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One S) CUZ graphics are nice and that's all that matters to them.

so my examples make total sense. other people like shitty things, that doesn't mean I won't shit on these shitty things, and among those shitty things is Rockstar Games' gamedesign and controls in the past 2 generations.

just because millions of people are totally fine playing PUBG or Fortnite on a fucking phone screen doesn't mean that it doesn't suck playing those games on a fucking phone screen, all it means is that the vast amount of people have very low standards

Hey......hey remember when I said this...

Your opinion is obviously based upon subjective parameters that you are incredibly passionate about and your frothy style of posting makes it very clear any sort of discussion with you on this topic would be akin to having a conversation with a barn wall.

Haha, I nailed it. You still don't get it. Dude, you literally said that gtav was "almost not controllable". Regardless of your concerningly passionate feelings on the subject, the fact that the game is firmly entrenched in the cultural mainstream after selling 150,000,000+ copies kinda tells a different story.

If the game was "almost not controllable" there is no way it would've reached the heights that it has. It just couldn't happen. This, sir, is why this is a you problem. You can't manage to wrap your head around the controls and that's ok. You need to come to terms with this for your own mental wellbeing. I mean shit, look at your responses, I read this latest reply and imagined spittle flying as you said whatever all...that was.

It's alright, gtav isn't for you, the controls are beyond you. Just move on bro, but move on in an honest manner. Stop lying to yourself! Stop forcing yourself to believe this and just accept reality.

Stop being this...

5qt10c.jpg

..and free yourself!

Last edited:

engstra

I would kind of hope that they at least make possible to play with the old school controls. I don't necessarily think they're the best controls but it's still how they were meant to be played and it worked fine back then.

GriffinCorp

You’ve purchased the console and PC versions? Have you played it modded as well?

Dont waste your money. Just wait until GTA 6 comes out man.
Yes, I've played them modded too. Still a day one purchase for me.

GTA VI is years away, I'll have to pick these up to "Hold Me Over" until the next game releases.

Patrick S.

Banned

Haha, I nailed it. You still don't get it. Dude, you literally said that gtav was "almost not controllable". Regardless of your concerningly passionate feelings on the subject, the fact that the game is firmly entrenched in the cultural mainstream after selling 150,000,000+ copies kinda tells a different story.

If the game was "almost not controllable" there is no way it would've reached the heights that it has. It just couldn't happen. This, sir, is why this is a you problem. You can't manage to wrap your head around the controls and that's ok. You need to come to terms with this for your own mental wellbeing. I mean shit, look at your responses, I read this latest reply and imagined spittle flying as you said whatever all...that was.

It's alright, gtav isn't for you, the controls are beyond you. Just move on bro, but move on in an honest manner. Stop lying to yourself! Stop forcing yourself to believe this and just accept reality.

Stop being this...

5qt10c.jpg

..and free yourself!
Nah, I'm with Mr. Binary on this one. These games sell gangbusters despite their bad controls because they do so many other things really well. But the controls in Rockstar games were always bad. Heck, back in GTA IV it was a challenge to get up from the bed in your appartment, turn right towards the door, walk along the hallway and turn left to go down the stairs to exit the house without bumping into the walls twenty seven times. Now in GTA V the controls are better, but still not *good*.

Last edited:

Twinblade

Wouldn't be surprised to hear that many GTA fans were introduced to the series with GTAIII. Myself on the other hand was there with the original top-down games and then moved onto 3D.

Same here, the move to 3d was the reason GTA became popular.

Which is probably why rockstar will never remake GTA 1, 2 and London 1969.

Swift_Star

Banned

Stop being this...

5qt10c.jpg

..and free yourself!
I never had a problem with GTA V and RDR2 myself. Both games feel good and responsive to play. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed! TBH, I've gotten used to the controls in Gta 5 but there are many things that are annoying to deal with..like free aiming responsively, trying to navigate certain obstacles and what not..& don't even get me started on the clunky ass controls on RDR 2! It is sooo fucking annoying trying to aim and shoot and the screen is swaying like crazy and the fact that there is a bullshit delay to aim accurately..just NO Thank You!!!

Agreed! TBH, I've gotten used to the controls in Gta 5 but there are many things that are annoying to deal with..like free aiming responsively, trying to navigate certain obstacles and what not..& don't even get me started on the clunky ass controls on RDR 2! It is sooo fucking annoying trying to aim and shoot and the screen is swaying like crazy and the fact that there is a bullshit delay to aim accurately..just NO Thank You!!!
Yeah .. and it's disgusting thar Rockstar won't patch Rdr2 for 60 fps on console knowing that the controls are the way they are. No respect for their fans as far as I'm concerned. They are the biggest and richest developer there is, they have RdR2 Online still actively making them money and still won't try to give their fans who now have hardware powerful enough to run it at 60 a patch to enjoy the game properly.

The sad thing also is gamers rarely protest this fact because it's almost a bygone conclusion that Rockstar won't patch and will sell us an overpriced remaster YEARS after the game has had its hey day.

Two more days for the trailer of GTA III I guess.

Will be a disgrace for Rockstar If modders deliver better results than Rockstars remaster.

SZips

Two more days for the trailer of GTA III I guess.

Will be a disgrace for Rockstar If modders deliver better results than Rockstars remaster.
I'm expecting the absolute bare minimum from Rockstar. Widescreen support, better controller support on PC, probably some form of AA.

I would love to be proven wrong here, but I'm going to keep the expectations very much in check.

the only thing i would accept is for them just to look tolerable on a modern TV, leave all music intact and fix the controls.

or them fully making them in the current GTA engine.

what im expecting is just the crappy mobile ports where they ruin the look of the game and the music

I'm hoping for GTA V controls.

Seems like you may be in luck

The now-deleted text stated the trilogy will feature "brilliant new lighting", "environmental upgrades", "high-resolution textures", and "increase draw distances".

In addition, the control system will be renewed to match GTA V, including the combat targeting system.

spons

Gold Member
About to play GTA IV on my Series S. The original 360 version had an unlocked frame rate, which means it hits a flat 60 FPS through Microsoft's backwards compatibility tech.

Unfortunately, I think that's all we get for that game in the coming ten years. I also can't imagine they're doing more than the bare minimum for this trilogy, which is a bloody shame. I'd love to be proven wrong on that, but I have zero faith in most of the video game industry at this point.

Futaleufu

Buildings are rendered in 3D, everything else (cars, effects, people) is represented by a 2D sprite. Let's be real it's a 2D game locked to a top-down perspective. It doesn't fit a definition of a 3D game.

Next time you play GTA try looking up or down and see how that works.

Your definition of 3D game doesnt fit games like Doom 64 or Mario Kart 64.
GTA2 in PC wont run without a 3D card.

I'm expecting a straight up low effort upres but I'm hoping Rockstar surprises us. Especially if they plan on charging 50 bucks for it.

Your opinion is similar to many I’ve read and if anything it says a lot about the industry.

When you consider how old these games are I find it rather telling expectations are low. With all the money they make , a significant reinvestment into a project like this I don’t think is unreasonable.

There is a notable shift in thinking between the consumer and business in which social media plays a part, the influencers, the YouTubers are now a part of the business and a consumer wanting better for their money is seen as the moaner , the hater, the ungrateful and so on. If you notice the reaction to GTA V next gen, a few publications will report on what the fans think but not what they themselves think. “Fan response is negative” ...well what do they , the website or the article writer think? Silence.

And it creates this, a growing cynicism with the consumer.

I’m like you in that they surprise us in a good way , I really do but I understand the skepticism also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom