• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
sRXlh71.jpg

Game Title: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Nov 11, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 11, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 11, 2021)
  • PC (Nov 11, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Nov 11, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 11, 2021)
Trailer:
Publisher: Rockstar Games

Review Aggregator:

Critic Reviews

Gameblog - Joniwan - French - 7 / 10

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Definitive Edition is a good way to (re)discover three legendary titles of the PS2 era. They're the same and yet very different in terms of visuals. But it's not really 100% good and even on PS5, it struggles to deliver a totally smooth experience. Not to mention that they feel a bit old if you talk about gameplay. Still effective, but be prepared.
Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 4 / 10

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition on Switch delivers three of gaming's true greats in a shockingly rough package that manages to suck pretty much all of the fun out of Rockstar's stellar crime epics. This is a poor port, a shoddy, stuttery, low resolution mess full of bugs, glitches, audio problems and more besides. If can grab this one on any other platform, we'd advise you do so or, at the very least, hold off until it's been patched and hopefully improved in the future. As things stand, this is a very, very long way from 'definitive' - this isn't the way we want to remember these games.
Press Start - Adam Mathew - 8 / 10

At this point, I’d be comfortable recommending a purchase if you grew up with any of these titles. If you’re out of era, I’d maybe hold off until the final verdict. The things we boomers can forgive out of nostalgia could well be the things that make you scratch your head and question your car-thieving forebears.
The Outerhaven Productions - Karl Smart - 3 / 5 stars

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: The Definitive Edition is one of those "Be careful what you wish for" games. While it has all the improvements that would be considered the bare minimum for Rockstar to put into something, it also exposes the ages of the titles, making the cheapness appear worse than it is. Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: The Definitive Edition is barely worth it for returning players, but is perfect for first-timers to this trilogy of games.
VGC - Jordan Middler - 2 / 5 stars/4.0/10.0

If somehow, inexplicably, you can overlook all of its issues then the three games in GTA Trilogy are undisputed classics. But if you want to revisit them properly, right now you’re far better off doing so on another platform.
The Click GG - David Coulson - 6 / 10

If Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy – Definitive Edition was $30 and on Steam I could perhaps justify buying into the hype and being excited about these games. But, $60 on Rockstar’s own launcher that you will forget even exists and never turn this game on? No, I can’t recommend this game with good conscience.
GameReactor EU - Petter Hegevall - 4 / 10

It feels boring to be the grumpy guy here, but it can not be helped. To release something called "Definitive Edition", charge £60 for something this lackluster and buggy, is embarrassing and Rockstar should definitely know better. Instead, a dedicated 100-man team should have been set aside here, which for a number of years should have been allowed to build one game at a time, from scratch - as Capcoms did with Resident Evil 2 Remake or Hangar 13 with Mafia: Definitive Edition. Because there is nothing "Definitive" here, except the fact that I definitely will not carry on

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't understand why this was rushed. Like, of all the games, a rerelease of 15-20 year old evergreen titles that are still selling isn't exactly time sensitive...

Flutta

Banned
If R really respected their fans or even their IP’s they would’ve chosen to remake their legacy titles. Instead we got a cheaply made remaster that is broken.

These pubs are basically competing with eachother on winning the shitties gaming company of the year prize at this point.

rhino pooping GIF

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
This is an elaborate plot to devalue the License and T2 so Phillipe Spencer can scoop them up for the low low prove me wrong.
T2 is 3.5x Ubisoft, seems everyone but 2 or 3 are making more money than ever.

Saibberprank did not affect much.

$300 billion loss for 10SENT

$20 billion loss for Act.

Last edited:

Deerock71

If R really respected their fans or even their IP’s they would’ve chosen to remake their legacy titles. Instead we got a cheaply made remaster that is broken.

These pubs are basically competing with eachother on winning the shitties gaming company of the year prize at this point.

rhino pooping GIF
I was expecting Jim Carey coming out, and I was right.

Fitzchiv

I was a gnats bollock away from buying this today, just assumed it'd be a good set of versions.

I'll wait until they iron out the shite.

GametimeUK

This is one of those instances where I am having such an amazing time with San Andreas because it was on Gamepass, but also I acknowledge the remaster itself is absolute garbage and wouldn't be worthy of my purchase.

This trilogy is so important to gaming and deserved to be brought to new audiences and modernised for returning players. It deserves to have heart, soul and care poured into it and treated with respect.

Instead we get a half assed lick of paint. A rush job just shoved out the door to make a few bucks and to keep R* in the headlines. Don't get me wrong this is expected practice for many studios, but I would have loved this trilogy to be treated with the respect it deserves.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Those scores are too generous.
Especially the bad ones. How do you give scathing reviews like that and give it a 4/10? One of those reviews was a 3, one was a 2.

MAX PAYMENT

I know this goes against the NeoGAF hate hivemind, but I'm having a good time with it. I haven't encountered any crazy glitches, just the usual jank that was in the originals.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Scores are to generous. Reviews giving it 8 or higher are crazy. You cant take them seriously anymore
I imagine Rockstar are one of the cunty studios that write letters to reviewers who don’t give a 10 picking apart the review with the lovely threat of blacklisting them for future review copies.

rhino pooping GIF
The Cheez-it I just bit into while scrolling this feed tasted different for some reason.

Top Bottom