• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto VI Will Have Female Main Character for First Time In Series' History (scheduled for FY 2024/2023, taking place in Vice City)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I am quite interested to see how many people dismissing a game they haven't seen one frame of will still pick up the game around release anyway. The old mw2_boycot.png again.

I'm not immune to this criticism, I think GTA VI will be the worst in a long time for GAAS reasons, but I'm not gonna pretend I won't be taking a day off to play it at midnight. It's fucking GTA VI.

Heylon

“Rockstar’s next game, Grand Theft Auto VI, will include a playable female protagonist… Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups…. Rockstar has attempted to reinvent itself as a more progressive and compassionate workplace.”

so a Resetera friendly GTA, got it. Wonder what they’ll replace the prostitutes with…?

Last edited:
GTA's whole bread and butter is being edgy and crass.

For the development team to claim the older games "punched down" is ridiculous. Everyone was a target. That's sort of the point. A lens held up to highlight the ridiculousness of American culture and the extremes of both the left and right. The games were never about being racist or whatever flavour of phobia is trendy. Everyone got both barrels.

What will we be left with now? Tired "capitalism bad" jokes?

I sincerely hope they don't sterilise the series with tired, over played memes like orange man bad.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I was just joking. I already knew how most would react on this thread. I was looking to get more of an LOL reaction, but thats not whats happening lol.

I personally dont care if its a female or male protagonist. As long as the game is good and enjoyable, I'll play it.

Fair play mate.the thing is round here its something people would say seriously lol

Bragr

Banned
Please don't become some liberal vehicle. The modern American culture is riper than ever to make fun of.

I am sure they are gonna play it safer than before, but as long as I don't feel it, it's fine. Meaning if there are scenes where there should be race jokes or sexual jokes, I expect them to be there. Parody the right, parody abortion, parody the woke, parody everything. If this is gonna be some anti-republican shit, where they make a story about how hard it is to cross the border and how hard it is to be colored and stuff like that, they better not show up. They already did a great immigrant story with Niko, nobody wanna see some watered-down braindead commentary about race and the modern republican hardline.

Either way, gonna be multiple protagonists, and they would be dumb to not have at least one woman. That's cool.

This is still gonna sell beyond anything we have seen before. It could hit 60 on Metacritic and still sell 15 million units in a day.

Bragr

Banned
I hope they make her really obese and ugly. The uglier the better.
They are way ahead of you.

The-GTA-Trilogy-Update-fixes-a-few-character-models.jpeg

radewagon

GTA is such a strange series. To claim that it's somehow losing what made it GTA is odd. GTA's bread and butter isn't being non-woke or anything like that. GTA's bread and butter is violence and mayhem. Everything else is kind of variable depending on the title. The early games had a lot of silly humor that doesn't really translate well with more realistic graphics and much of it was lost when we got to GTAIV.
  • GTAIV plays things far more seriously than previous titles and, if it had been made today, would get all sorts of "woke" comments. It's an anti-war anti-revenge immigrant story that essentially punishes Niko for choosing his destructive life of crime.
  • Lost and the Damned is dour and serious as hell. None of that trademark silliness.
  • Ballad of Gay Tony is a title that brought back a lot of silliness but also featured a latino protagonist and his homosexual father figure. It don't get much more woke than that, amirite?
  • Then we get to GTA V which keeps a lot of the craziness, but also has a multi-ethnic trio and gets to offload a lot of it's nastiness behind a character that it presents to us as being deranged.
I guess my point is that in this post-gamer-gate world, with volumes turned up, it's easy to forget that GTA has always been pretty firmly woke. The irreverence has been toned down for a while now and the bread and butter, the mayhem and violence, is still front and center. This new title, unless it's less violent or chaotic, will not move the needle much in any regard.

Last edited:

Stafford

GTA IV had the ingame TV where on one channel they made fun of anime with Master Hentai, I thought it was funny as shit. V had this washed up action hero with the sock, I loved it.

Hopefully people with a sense of humour are still there.

Stafford

GTA is such a strange series. To claim that it's somehow losing what made it GTA is odd. GTA's bread and butter isn't being non-woke or anything like that. GTA's bread and butter is violence and mayhem. Everything else is kind of variable depending on the title. The early games had a lot of silly humor that doesn't really translate well with more realistic graphics and much of it was lost when we got to GTAIV.
  • GTAIV plays things far more seriously than previous titles and, if it had been made today, would get all sorts of "woke" comments. It's an anti-war anti-revenge immigrant story that essentially punishes Niko for choosing his destructive life of crime.
  • Lost and the Damned is dour and serious as hell. None of that trademark silliness.
  • Ballad of Gay Tony is a title that brought back a lot of silliness but also featured a latino protagonist and his homosexual father figure. It don't get much more woke than that, amirite?
  • Then we get to GTA V which keeps a lot of the craziness, but also has a multi-ethnic trio and gets to offload a lot of it's nastiness behind a character that it presents to us as being deranged.
I guess my point is that in this post-gamer-gate world, with volumes turned up, it's easy to forget that GTA has always been pretty firmly woke. The irreverence has been toned down for a while now and the bread and butter, the mayhem and violence, is still front and center. This new title, unless it's less violent or chaotic, will not move the needle much in any regard.

Gay Tony was brilliant, loved it. But that was not forced, it made fun of everyone, it didn't pick sides. The LGBTQ movement and probably even MeToo to be honest are absolutely perfect targets to go after too and make jokes about, just like how they could mock Biden, and so much more.

But in today's world where fucking everything seems too much, always someone crying and being offended about something.....it's clearly out of the question. Very sad. Doesn't mean it can be a brilliant game. I think it will be really good. Their last game is RDR2 and it's a masterpiece.

levyjl1988

Banned
The character model better not be fucking ugly like Bioware's Mass Effect Andromeda. If she's not an attractive model to look at for the 60+ hours I'm gonna skip this game purchase.

Kev Kev

I don’t really care about all the woke/gender politics and SJW posturing, so none of this really bothers me

That being said, I didn’t think GTAV was all that great. I enjoyed my time with it but it had a ton of issues, and just controlled like shit, imo. The planes were annoying to fly, the character movement was clunky, the cover system and shooting wasn’t very good, etc. the driving and racing was great however. Really enjoyed that part. But there just wasn’t enough in there to keep me going. I probably put 50 hours into it and then just never went back.

After my lackluster GTAV experience, I recalled that I felt kind of the same about GTAIV and RDR. So 🤷‍♂️ maybe I’ll give RDR2 a shot and see if it feels any better. If I like it a lot, I’ll give GTAVI a try, regardless of whatever stupid political games they play.

I just want to play fun games, I don’t care what gender/sexual orientation the character is. We have a big PS5 game where you play as a cat for Christ sake lol playing as a woman and skipping through some woke cut scenes isn’t a big deal to me

kiphalfton

As long as the character isn't the equivalent of Michelle Rodriguez in every movie/TV show she's ever been in (i.e. acts like she's "hard") or the equivalent of every female comedian (who has dumb quips and relies heavily on female humor), I don't see an issue. Pretty much what I'm getting at is as long as the character isn't obnoxious, it shouldn't really matter if the lead is a female or male.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Not wanting to punch down means you view yourself superior to those you don't want to make fun about.

Wanting to punch up means you view yourself inferior to those you want to make fun about.

Who does the new Rockstar view as inferior and superior in comparison to themselves?

Yes. People can be superior without trying to be. The President of the United States is superior to nearly every citizen in the country despite not intentionally trying to use the superiority. Surely you understand this.

. . .or do you think unstructured class systems do not exist?

I think the super detailed cities, fantastic soundtracks (well, other than 4) and the open world design with loads of neatly designed and emergent gameplay had a little something to do with it too, or it would have fallen by the wayside like loads of other "edgy" series did in the past,

No no, it was the dick-and-fart jokes you emailed to your friends in the early 2000's that REALLY is what has made GTA the billion dollar franchise it is, not the stupidly detailed worlds, where you can go full on West World while listening to a radio talk channel skewer and mock Group X for something other than their membership in Group X. If only executives would listen to internet drive-by posters more.

MiguelItUp

Grand Theft Auto thrives on edginess and satire. I feel like we're going to see something that's going to feel like what South Park would feel like if it had the same things removed.

mortal

Gold Member
Game will evolve over time, adding new cities
Aside from the whole not "punching down" part, most of this sounds fine. Although post-GTA Online, this point, in particular, is making me uneasy.
I'm surprised people are more concerned with the female protagonist than this, given present-day Rockstar's questionable track record.

I'll need to see the base game in action before I get excited about anything.

Last edited:

Stafford

Didn't Rockstar years ago say something like....we dare do the things others don't? Something like that.

I find it sad to see it change. Better studio for the people is great news, them pandering to some lunatics is not.

You couldn't even engage with the prostitutes in RDR2 past some dialogue despite the setting having a more normalized proustite culture than any other R* game. It's likely that GTA V will be the last R* game where you can pay prostitutes.
I totally forgot about that. Cabaret culture (and prostitution) is something so iconic to the wild west that it baffles they left that out (probably intentionally). Rockstar really isn't more the brave and irreverent company they used to be. They've become everything they used to make fun of.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Didn't Rockstar years ago say something like....we dare do the things others don't? Something like that.

I find it sad to see it change. Better studio for the people is great news, them pandering to some lunatics is not.

They will gladly follow the LBGT agenda if it means earning profit.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Same thing, but now you have male prostitutes in the street - because man also prostitute themselves :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

You guys should wait until they drop the bomb that main lead is a female powerful latina but also a single mom.

And she needs to dive into Vice City's underworld to provide for her young son.

Single mom by day, latina assassin by night. Experience female emancipation like never before.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It won’t take much for her to be more interesting than the GTAV trio. They were a charisma vacuum outside some Trevor scenes.

Having one gay character or serious story doesn't automatically make it "woke".

But if they go down the path of a masculine woman, gay characters, censoring things that were satire in other games like the confederate flag in the "definitive edition".... thats going woke.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

EDMIX

Gay Tony was brilliant, loved it. But that was not forced

I think it was a fun DLC too, but...how the fuck would you know what is "forced" or not? I've read this tons of times and laughed a bit when I'd read shit like the character being a female is forced, when GTA had female characters before and this or that is forced, ohhhh but ONLY with this game, lets ignore the past ones where such things occurred?

nahhhh you guys need to fucking objectively come up with what is or isn't "forced" instead of this funny ass guessing game as using this loose logic, anything can be argued is "Forced", which even then is a odd thing to say as do we have footage of someone putting a gun to a developer to make that character or storyline?

So lets say I tell you Gay Tony was FORCED, how the fuck would one prove that? actually give facts on this one lol So even though I agree that I don't see anything to argue it was forced in some game or something, I also feel the weird logic of trying to cherry pick that is funny as hell as the same argument literally can be made about any damn game.

Example.

Arthur Morgan in RDR2, his character is forced...want to know how?

made fun of everyone, it didn't pick sides

I mean, can we say he made fun of everyone including his gender and didn't pick sides? hmmmmmm sounds like a forced right wing agenda to me and he better make fun of a side for us to figure this one out. Only way I'm buying that game btw /s

Unless someone is reading someone else mind or has footage of a gun being put to a developers back being forced to add something in, maybe we should be playing games based on what they are making vs what we believe they openly did or didn't do with some "force".

John Bilbo

Yes. People can be superior without trying to be. The President of the United States is superior to nearly every citizen in the country despite not intentionally trying to use the superiority. Surely you understand this.

. . .or do you think unstructured class systems do not exist?
Yeah you misunderstood me. Whether it was your intention or not is up yours, not for me to say.

To be able to joke and poke fun is to form comradery and establish yourselves as peers.

Now if I could joke around a president and the president could joke around me, that president would be MY president, MY MAN.

Now if Rockstar sees some group of people as so pitiful and inferior to themselves they can't even joke about them... well that's quite telling about their values don't you think?

Droxcy

Confirmed what we already been knowing thanks Jason. Just want the official reveal already and the duo concept boy/girl story sounds fun honestly also cleaning up the work place it's good in the sense where you get rid of the real assholes that do believe that some humans are lesser than others due to what they call themselves, but on the other hand will it make GTA too clean we shall see I don't think it'll be as drastic as everyone is putting it out to be.

Elysion

Banned
They should go full libtard – have characters refer to each other with weird pronouns, make it hard to tell if they’re male or female, have them use a nasal voice and annoying up-talk when they speak, give your character stat bonuses every time you go to an in-game therapist, allow characters to have gender transitions, and make them constantly apologize to each other during dialogue for accidentally using harmful words. But the important part is that they should play it totally straight; don’t go too over the top like South Park.

This way, Rockstar might actually please everyone: most people will interpret the game as hilarious satire (if anything, the fact that it’s played straight will make it even funnier), while libtards will have no choice but to praise it as a stunning and brave masterpiece. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Its like no one watched The Boys over here. That shows cynicism is basically gta. Both sides get the heat and is generally well regarded in the affirmative action era. #bravemaeve

Last edited:
Top Bottom