• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto VI Will Have Female Main Character for First Time In Series' History (scheduled for FY 2024/2023, taking place in Vice City)

Fake

IDK what is worst, people whining because will be a female protagonist or male feminists defending the female protagonist just because 'woman' and ignoring everything else in the article that kill the franchise. I guess both are equally annoying.

This thread is the definition of toxic gaming culture. Day 1 for GTA 6
Some of you make me feel ashamed to be here
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Stafford

Well thats what the leak says

Who Knows Idk GIF

True.

If we have a complete experience at launch, so lots of story missions and side missions and with a end to the story. And on top of that come updates with new missions, locations, weapons, vehicles etc…i would love that. It’s more than what V got. But I just don’t see how this is going to work when GTA Online 2 will absolutely happen too. And Rockstar is not Santa, they won’t give those story mode updates for free, cannot imagine that.

So it should be interesting to see how that is gonna go down.

Catphish

I’ve probably said this half a dozen times, but I’ll go ahead and say it again.

GTA V was a technical marvel, and the gameplay was fun, but that’s about all it had going for it. The main characters were completely unlikeable to me, the story was depressing as hell, and the “satire” was some of the weakest I’ve seen in any medium.

I don’t think it can get much worse, to be honest. So I have no expectations for VI. And I don’t see any point in getting twisted over news for a new GTA game that’s still two years out.

Seeing how R* has conducted themselves over the last few years, I can’t feel anything other than indifference leading up to VI’s release.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the lead character is going to be Latino woman and she can wreck havoc killing people, shooting cops, hijacking cars, drugs, booze, stealing cash.

Awesome.

Women need to be represented in games as reckless protagonists too!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Cool. Give us a pretty butt to look at.
Eh fucking vice City again...

Does this fucking company have any creativity at all. Now watch this game have the exact same gameplay and dated controls and then get 95+ on metacritic.

Screw rockstar
"Now watch this game have worse gameplay and dated controls and then get 95+ on metacritic."
Ftfy.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The next game is going to be built focused on GTA Online anyways.

Whatever story they come up with will be without the talent that ran this franchise and will be corporate safe and toned down to check a box. GTA V didn’t receive a single piece of story content the whole time it was out, so they don’t care about those players. They’ll get a pr bump for a female protagonist or changing their culture while still selling shark cards to kids.

Last edited:

Stafford

They will gladly follow the LBGT agenda if it means earning profit.

But does it? I mean will these people even buy the game, let alone play it?
I think it was a fun DLC too, but...how the fuck would you know what is "forced" or not? I've read this tons of times and laughed a bit when I'd read shit like the character being a female is forced, when GTA had female characters before and this or that is forced, ohhhh but ONLY with this game, lets ignore the past ones where such things occurred?

nahhhh you guys need to fucking objectively come up with what is or isn't "forced" instead of this funny ass guessing game as using this loose logic, anything can be argued is "Forced", which even then is a odd thing to say as do we have footage of someone putting a gun to a developer to make that character or storyline?

So lets say I tell you Gay Tony was FORCED, how the fuck would one prove that? actually give facts on this one lol So even though I agree that I don't see anything to argue it was forced in some game or something, I also feel the weird logic of trying to cherry pick that is funny as hell as the same argument literally can be made about any damn game.

Example.

Arthur Morgan in RDR2, his character is forced...want to know how?

I mean, can we say he made fun of everyone including his gender and didn't pick sides? hmmmmmm sounds like a forced right wing agenda to me and he better make fun of a side for us to figure this one out. Only way I'm buying that game btw /s

Unless someone is reading someone else mind or has footage of a gun being put to a developers back being forced to add something in, maybe we should be playing games based on what they are making vs what we believe they openly did or didn't do with some "force".

Nowhere, not once did I say I meant having female protagonist in the game is forced, I didn't mean that at all.

Stafford

The next game is going to be built focused on GTA Online anyways.

Whatever story they come up with will be without the talent that ran this franchise and will be a corporate safe and toned down afterthought to check a box. GTA V didn’t receive a single piece of story content the whole time it was out so they don’t care about those players.

We'll have to wait and see. Dan Houser was always the one that said he wanted to tell stories, he was in favor of story modes. But this stuff about evolving world, things added later is unusual for a story mode for GTA. That's usually the Online portion. Guess it could be like how AC is nowadays, that gets stuff added too. Only difference is that AC doesn't have a Online component.

GTA1 had a selectable female protagonist, and your GTA Online protagonist can be female. And yes, GTA Online counts.

But anyway, if a character mutters the word "latinx" in this game, I am going to murder that character a thousand times over.

Bragr

Banned
GTA is such a strange series. To claim that it's somehow losing what made it GTA is odd. GTA's bread and butter isn't being non-woke or anything like that. GTA's bread and butter is violence and mayhem. Everything else is kind of variable depending on the title. The early games had a lot of silly humor that doesn't really translate well with more realistic graphics and much of it was lost when we got to GTAIV.
  • GTAIV plays things far more seriously than previous titles and, if it had been made today, would get all sorts of "woke" comments. It's an anti-war anti-revenge immigrant story that essentially punishes Niko for choosing his destructive life of crime.
  • Lost and the Damned is dour and serious as hell. None of that trademark silliness.
  • Ballad of Gay Tony is a title that brought back a lot of silliness but also featured a latino protagonist and his homosexual father figure. It don't get much more woke than that, amirite?
  • Then we get to GTA V which keeps a lot of the craziness, but also has a multi-ethnic trio and gets to offload a lot of it's nastiness behind a character that it presents to us as being deranged.
I guess my point is that in this post-gamer-gate world, with volumes turned up, it's easy to forget that GTA has always been pretty firmly woke. The irreverence has been toned down for a while now and the bread and butter, the mayhem and violence, is still front and center. This new title, unless it's less violent or chaotic, will not move the needle much in any regard.
Having a gay character or colored people in a game is not woke. That's normal life.

Woke is when both the parents of the lead character are transgender, half the cast got pink spiked hair, and when every storyline ties back to women being held back, colored people being oppressed, or something to do with the climate or republicans.

Woke is when you feel the writer's obsession with politically correct politics seep through the game. It's when you log into resetera and get banned for being a racist because you can't speak Spanish.

Woke is when you play GTA VI and the Latina lead jumps the fence, saying: "We come here with the promise of a new tomorrow, a better life!" and then some old guy looks into the ground, saying: "No chica, this land does not accept our color, we can only get jobs as maids." And then they make some comments about kids in cages while the border patrol hunts them, as an oil drilling redneck tries to shoot them with a shotgun. That's woke. When it feels like a forced dumb political statement rather than a proper story.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with a female protagonist, infact I welcome it. Me purchasing GTA6 will ultimately be dependent on Rockstar's classic dark humour and well written story that previous Rockstar games have had. I'm not expecting anything anymore from this franchise so I won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I think that if it follows the structure of GTAV the more diverse the protagonists are among themselves the better it is for the game, so yea a female protagonist if done right would benefit the game. Male, female, rich, poor, cop, criminal, fat, jacked, black, white, Mexican, Asian, it should all work on GTA and most of it has already worked before.

I guess everyone just forgot the first game had female protags?
Most people forgot the first game existed at this point or were never aware of it in the first place.

Last edited:

Aenima

Model the character based on Sofia Vergara and we have a deal.
Im more concerned about this: "Game will evolve over time, adding new cities". Rockstar track record in suporting single player content is pretty bad, im betting the story will be told in the smaller initial map, and any expansion will be to be used online.

I might actually wait untill the game has more content before getting it. With them trying to be more family friendly, i really dont know what to expect from the GTA games moving forward.

Even though Grand Theft Auto games have never been my type of game, I'm sure this entry will more than please fans of the series. It doesn't hurt the game to make one of the playable characters a chick, especially if you get to choose between playing as either the Bonnie or Clyde character. And besides, women and all the other genders in the world can be ruthless criminals, same as men.
With that said, it’s usually men.

ACESHIGH

Banned
As a South American I... couldn't give a rats ass about this "representation" stuff. Just mod a bald space marine in GTAVI once released.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
ITT

A lot of people who seemingly hate GAF and “most posters”, but still keep their account.

Feel free to head out.

* This isn’t commentary on the game itself, as I don’t play GTA. Just saying that I’m tired of seeing the same edge lords talk about their dislike for GAF. Make like a fetus and head out.

ITT

A lot of people who seemingly hate GAF and “most posters”, but still keep their account.

Feel free to head out.

* This isn’t commentary on the game itself, as I don’t play GTA. Just saying that I’m tired of seeing the same edge lords talk about their dislike for GAF. Make like a fetus and head out.
They left GAF for Resetera, got banned from Resetera, then came crawling back to GAF, having learned nothing from their Resetera experience.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
They left GAF for Resetera, got banned from Resetera, then came crawling back to GAF, having learned nothing from their Resetera experience.

I just don’t understand people dissing something but volunteering to stay on it. Your life is so boring you’d rather stay somewhere you hate? Can’t make real friends? Crazy. Also, not really fair to Evilore and what he has built.

Anyone know what this was?

I believe it’s referencing the workers that complained about long hours during crunch and work treatment. Like… every studio.

GTA 3 had a woman robbing a bank within the first few seconds of the game, but let's pretend that Rockstar were a bunch of misogynists and only now are women being shown as capable in the series.

This game will likely be garbage, but it won't have anything to do with a female protagonist. It'll have everything to do with losing the team who made GTA into what it was for decades, which was groundbreaking storytelling mixed well-written satire that refused to compromise.

By the time this comes out, it wouldn't even surprise me if it's not as good as the most recent Saint's Row. Again, everyone responsible for the writing, satire, and overall direction of this brilliant series is gone.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
The hopeful part of me see's that the game will add more cities over time and reads that as single player story expansion.
But after GTA Online's success : NOPE

Top Bottom