• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto VI Will Have Female Main Character for First Time In Series' History (scheduled for FY 2024/2023, taking place in Vice City)

The potential this game has in terms of parody for today's society is HUGE, yet bending the knee to the mob means they more than likely wont go down that path. Picking on pronouns, woke culture etc would be awesome to see. Once upon a time Rockstar would do that. Today's Rockstar though I'm not too sure.
Dream on. They even removed "Transphobic" Content from the GTAV Reremaster.

Old Rockstar is long gone.

MacReady13

Moses85

Sounds

Never Again Ew GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The potential this game has in terms of parody for today's society is HUGE, yet bending the knee to the mob means they more than likely wont go down that path. Picking on pronouns, woke culture etc would be awesome to see. Once upon a time Rockstar would do that. Today's Rockstar though I'm not too sure.
The problem with modern day’s culture is that it is getting divided across very harsh lines. What companies are afraid of is standing in the middle and showing the absurdity of what were the extreme fringes and are now the main warring camps. Picking on the whole far left cultural debate without taking the far right stance would get both slamming you and your the games and a loss in sales… or so they fear.

Well… yeah… they are not putting social justice values above profits, what corps do tends to be for profit or hoped profits, so they think they will make more and safer money this way…

Sigh 😔

Last edited:

yamaci17

for some reason i have a feeling they will nail this one
when done right, female protagonists are a fresh take on stories/games/experiences

Dr.Morris79

- After a public controversy four years ago, Rockstar, the maker of Grand Theft Auto, is reinventing itself as a kinder, gentler company. But employees aren’t sure it can still produce the chart-topping caliber of game the studio has become known for.

Annnnd we're done here 👍

For evidence see..

Lord of the Rings
Marvel (Films/Comics)
Netflix
Most new Hollywood films
The education system

Another giant fell to woke bullshit.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I wouldn't mind if the stronk wahmen protag is modeled after jade Cargill instead of a fat blue haired landwhale.

Rockstar had a golden opportunity to make fun of how ridiculous the world became in the past 10 years (social justice, PC culture, cryptocurrency, COVID, vaccines, war, stronkwahmen, the alphabet gestapo, sleepy Joe and more)

I hope they are trying to fool us MGS2 style. I mean, what's more safe than releasing an AAA woke videogame in 2024.

If they do release it, I hope it backfires. Maybe woke culture is not as fashionable by 2024. I'm waiting for a return to the attitude era in culture and gaming.

manfestival

for some reason, I just can't shake the feeling that part of the reason(outside of the copious amounts of money from GTAO) that they have pushed this back an entire generation is because they have had a hard time rekindling the magic was was present in the previous titles. Just can't help but think that this one is just going to miss the mark by far compared to GTA5.

Saber

Gold Member
for some reason, I just can't shake the feeling that part of the reason(outside of the copious amounts of money from GTAO) that they have pushed this back an entire generation is because they have had a hard time rekindling the magic was was present in the previous titles. Just can't help but think that this one is just going to miss the mark by far compared to GTA5.

I was thinking the same. They could redo the game with different protagonists and different settings, called gta6 or whatever and be done with it.
The reason they keep milking the shit out of gta5 is probably because internally they know they won't be delivering the same experience or are way too scared to release something their avid fans will be totally against, and thus are preparing for damage control. Gta is still absurdly popular on Brazil, I can't imagine the damage done if they go to the tame route.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ive always loved that girl from GTA3, cant remember her name but she was a thorn in claudes backside. Catalina I think.

There were 5 years between gta 5 and rdr 2.

If gta 6 comes out 2024 it will have been 6 years with several being hit by covid.

Doesn't seem unreasonable in the slightest

Houser and Benz are gone so how can they recreate that magic?
From my understanding benzies was the one pushing for gtao so hard (look at the game he's working on now) and wasn't there for nearly all of rdr 2 development which turned out fine.

Losing houser and lazlow is worrisome though

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would give a shit. We've been playing as female protagonists for decades, now, so this isn't exactly brave and bold. However, coupled with the "kinder company" and "won't punch down" garbage, we know exactly what we'll get. A woman with little to no flaws, who is the best at everything, especially when it comes to things a man was doing before she was involved. Hollywood, and I guess the gaming industry, now, needs to realize this doesn't make your female characters strong, it makes them boring.

And people think there will be a sequel to Bully . . .
There will be. It will be called Anti-Bully. You'll be a college student looking for cases of cultural appropriation and instances of silence is violence, aka minding your own business, and aggressively making those bullies aware of their violations against humanity. You will usually do this in groups vs one bully.

Ironically, the protagonist, and the game developers, don't realize they are, in fact, the real bully.

It's funny that besides GTA Series not having female protagonists to this day, and having some controversial jokes, GTA SA, GTA IV, and GTV V are probably some of the most representative games ever made.

ESPECIALLY GTA SA, with a black protagonist (also my favorite GTA), released almost 20 years ago. It's incredible how diverse the cast of GTA SA is.

I'm down for a female protagonist in GTA VI... fucking finally!

manfestival

There were 5 years between gta 5 and rdr 2.

If gta 6 comes out 2024 it will have been 6 years with several being hit by covid.

Doesn't seem unreasonable in the slightest
There is far more nuance going into why RDR 2 is a success. Especially for the production cycle. GTA 6 is far different in this case. Plus the point is being missed here that GTA6 missed an entire generation. However, I guess if you want to go off on that tangent. Then think of it more like this. RDR 1 and GTA 5 came out in the same generation.

There is far more nuance going into why RDR 2 is a success. Especially for the production cycle. GTA 6 is far different in this case. Plus the point is being missed here that GTA6 missed an entire generation. However, I guess if you want to go off on that tangent. Then think of it more like this. RDR 1 and GTA 5 came out in the same generation.
Who cares about generations? The time between the two is very comparable.

If gta 5 had been released literally 2 months later and been an Xbox one/ps4 release title you suddenly wouldn't have cared since gta 5 and rdr 2 were the same generation?

This will likely be another game I either buy for $20 or skip entirely. Hope it turns out good but if the initial announcement is more focused on garbage like character gender, inclusivity and diversity I'm betting the game will not be like past GTA entries.

There will be. It will be called Anti-Bully. You'll be a college student looking for cases of cultural appropriation and instances of silence is violence, aka minding your own business, and aggressively making those bullies aware of their violations against humanity. You will usually do this in groups vs one bully.

Ironically, the protagonist, and the game developers, don't realize they are, in fact, the real bully.
Howie Mandel Good Job GIF by America's Got Talent

I guess it is possible. Thank you for taking time out of your day to educate me on this matter, I have a lot to learn. I forgot the rest . . . . LINE?!?!?! It would have been worse if I wasn't vaxxed?

Nico_D

I don't care what sex or race any protagonist is as long as that character doesn't just exist to represent/promote some ideology.

I find it funny how some people who say race/sex doesn't matter care and talk and think about it faaaar more than I do.

Raven117

Gold Member
No issues with a female protagonist but they're gonna fuck this up and make it boring.
Yeah, I have absolutely no issue with a female protagonist. Lots of opportunity to explore different themes.

But the rest of it.....I mean...the whole concept is satire...To be effective satire, it does in fact, have to be edgy.....We will just see what they come up with, but it seems Rockstar is sanding down their edges.

Maybe they can pull it off? Who knows?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Female payable character? No problem. Who cares.

Rockstar being more caring and doing less "punching down", which I assume is less edgy, controversial and more PC?

If this is true, then what the fuck happened?

MMaRsu

Banned
Female payable character? No problem. Who cares.

Rockstar being more caring and doing less "punching down", which I assume is less edgy, controversial and more PC?

If this is true, then what the fuck happened?
One of the housers left, Leslie Benzies left, Lazlow left.

Top Bottom