• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Only because of RT GI a next gen feature thats able to be added to last gen games...Rift Apart looks better in everyway..except global GI...
But whos is to say which looks suprior overall? Its really a matter of preference at this point, there is not an obvious winner.

Ok, well, every PlayStation that has ever released had lower lifetime sales than its predecessor one year into its life. That said, PS5 is doing better for the same period than any of them ever have. So, acting like this is some new unusual reason that forces publishers hands is silly.

Fact is it's really easy to do cross gen because the architecture of both systems is the same and it's cheaper/more profitable to tap that existing install base.

But it's not like this is some new problem with install bass of PS5. PS5 actually has the smallest problem with install base of any PS ever at one year. I don't get how/why people don't get this. PS5 "shortage" has nothing to do with this issue. It's a choice that can be argued to make sense but you just can't back it up by saying it's because nobody can buy PS5. A lot more ps1 systems were out there than PS2s at one year in...but PS2 was getting tons of exclusive games despite having a much smaller base.

This is the same pattern every time a new system comes out and people act like PS5 is the only system that ever had a smaller install base than it's predecessor at one year. Bizarre.
I don't understand either the mentality of gamers today. It's like their natural inclination is to go along with the narrative most beneficial to game companies and in many cases defend the company even when it's something objectively worse than what we used to have in past years.

Very bizarre but it's true. Don't question these decisions, don't ask for 'more' from them lest you be labeled as entitled.

i stand by my statements.

covid impacted global production hugely in this area, when they were making decisions on exclusivity they were doing it in an environment of uncertainty about future ps5 sales numbers, market access, whatever businessheads would call it, they made the decision to ask for the first batch of games coming for ps5 to also be able to run on the previous generaiton, because the previous generation sold 115m units and there was no guarantee the ps5 would be a huge success, or able to be produced in quantities. do you think GT7 started development after PS5 had a record breaking first year? No, of course it didn't.

Saying 'hey, the ps5 had a good first year so gt7 shoulda been a next gen exclusive' is about as convenient a warping of time as is possible in this physical universe, seems to me
Gt7 shoulda been a next gen exclusives cause the fuckers were advertising it as one, officially in all their trailers, for over a year prior to Sony's infamous about face. You can go back and watch the trailers and at the end it will say "playstation 5 exclusive".

EDMIX

Gt7 shoulda been a next gen exclusives cause the fuckers were advertising it as one, officially in all their trailers, for over a year prior to Sony's infamous about face. You can go back and watch the trailers and at the end it will say "playstation 5 exclusive".

Business is a dynamic thing, things change over time.

So even if you say something like GT7 was going to be a PS5 exclusive, being on PS4 doesn't mean PS5 lost anything, in fact it suggest making it on PS4 WAS THE CHANGE, as in...you are getting a next gen version of GT7, that was suppose to ONLY be on PS5, thus its development favored that system and nothing is hurting you having a PS4 version, if you buy it on PS5.

Its silly and just doesn't make sense to get upset as something like this. I can see if it impacted development in a negative way, but if the fucking game is being stated as a "PS5 exclusive" clearly that was its main platform and if anything its PS4 owners who are getting the lessor that was never even going to exist otherwise.

I don't see any of this as a bad thing and I don't get how it would benefit you to have less people play it when even the team likely working on the PS4 version isn't hurting the PS5 version. If it was made from the start as cross gen then I can see the cause for concern, but what you are bringing up, how you are stating it just doesn't sound like a bad thing for anyone.

How does it not coming out on PS4 help you, if PS5 was its main focus of development to the point of "watch the trailers and at the end it will say "playstation 5 exclusive"? =)

Banned

I still don't understand what people think can be done dramatically different in a track based racing game if it was only on next gen?

of course it was a shit move by Sony to (maybe) lie about it being only on PS5 in order to boost console sales, but there is no way anything will hold it back on PS4

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This looks clearly far from real so it's far to early to celebrate, but hey maybe in a gen or 2.
It literally runs the engine in real time on a Series S….

Rendering is about to have a massive change because developers have always been limited by how many polygons they could display on screen at any one time. UE5 completely removes this massive limitation aswell as offering a real time, ray traced accelerated lighting and shadow system.

For developers it also removes the need for multiple LODs, normal maps and baked lighting. UE5 will speed up development by at least 20% so it’s good for us all.

Sony and MS have their own development rendering pipeline similar to UE5.

If you play this demo down then you’re a dumbass or maybe just jealous it’s not out yet for PC so it’s making consoles look extremely powerful. You’ll get it on PC at 8k/144fps early next year 😝

Banned

Rendering is about to have a massive change because developers have always been limited by how many polygons they could display on screen at any one time. UE5 completely removes this massive limitation aswell as offering a real time, ray traced accelerated lighting and shadow system.

For developers it also removes the need for multiple LODs, normal maps and baked lighting. UE5 will speed up development by at least 20% so it’s good for us all.

If you play this demo down then you’re a dumbass or maybe just jealous it’s not out yet for PC so it’s making consoles look extremely powerful. You’ll get it on PC at 8k/144fps early next year 😝

big asterisk here! Nanite only works on objects that have no parts that animate. as soon as you have a character for example that needs to move his arm, or a tree that moves in the wind... grass... stuff like that, nanite will not work with that.

in the Matrix demo, as soon as you crash into a car it is replaced with a traditional model of a car that does not use nanite, which is why the framerate dips dramatically whenever you crash

Last edited:

Lethal01

I've played down nothing, it exactly because it's so impressive that I think we might be able to achieve true photorealism in just a gen or 2, it's a huge leap but we still got a long way to go.

Seems more like you are playing down real life.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I think i even cite what you just said as a justification for saying that a lot of the cross gen decisions were made because of the pandemic.

Sosokrates

I still don't understand what people think can be done dramatically different in a track based racing game if it was only on next gen?

of course it was a shit move by Sony to (maybe) lie about it being only on PS5 in order to boost console sales, but there is no way anything will hold it back on PS4

Then might as well have GT cross gen for the next 7yrs

Sosokrates

And? Ratchet is not last gen with more geometry and RT...those elements make a game next gen...so what are you talking about?

More geometry and RT make rift apart "next gen" no more so then RT Gi makes metro "next gen"

Its hilarious you think that more geometry + RT makes a game next gen but RT Gi does not.

Whats makes somthing "next gen" from a visual standpoint is not some strict perametres. But this is the first time enhanced last gen games can trade blows with full current gen exclusives. Its just the way technology is at the moment, combined with diminishing returns.

Last edited:

What if they decide to make it crossplay with ps4? I don't see why they wouldn't considering that is the trend these days. What would that do to loading times for ps5 owners? It would cause them to be A LOT longer during online races for obvious reasons. There are ALWAYS drawbacks to cross gen.

More geometry and RT make rift apart "next gen" no more so then RT Gi makes metro "next gen"

Its hilarious you think that more geometry + RT makes a game next gen but RT Gi does not.

Whats makes somthing "next gen" from a visual standpoint is not some strict perametres. But this is the first time enhanced last gen games can trade blows with full current gen exclusives. Its just the way technology is at the moment, combined with diminishing returns.
In ONE aspect. Lol Rift apart vanilla could never be done on last gen consoles...Metro vanilla can...

xPikYx

What makes a game next gen is geometry then you add illumination,texture etc.

zm8vUbZ3EFDE1f4XA

zm8vUbZ3EFDE1f4XA

Sosokrates

In ONE aspect. Lol Rift apart vanilla could never be done on last gen consoles...Metro vanilla can...
But we are talking about visuals here, not ssd enabled things..ffs.

Weather rift aparts higher geometry and RT reflections is the suprior visuals compared to RT Gi is really a matter of opinion.
Its not like last gen where a game like killzone Shadow fall had several significant improvements compared to something like bioshock infinite remastered, however diminishing returns plays a part here. The move to a more uniform material based lighting was pretty huge generational improvement last gen.

Sosokrates

What makes a game next gen is geometry then you add illumination,texture etc.

zm8vUbZ3EFDE1f4XA

zm8vUbZ3EFDE1f4XA

I disagree, a game could have Equal geometry and still have significant improvements over last gen.

What is "next gen" is not as clear this gen as it was last gen. This gen really does feel like an evolution of last gen rather then a new leaf, from a visual perspective.

xPikYx

What makes a game next gen is geometry then you add illumination,texture etc

With baked lightning

maxresdefault-6.jpeg

MGS2_1.jpg

ps3_mgs4_118.1.jpg

MGSV-The-Phantom-Pain-TGS-2014-Screen-Quiet-African-Jungle-Gameplay-2.jpg

With Ray tracing

quake-ii-rtx-05.jpg

metro-exodus-caspian-desert.jpg

matrix-awakens-unreal-engine-5-demo-9-14.png

But we are talking about visuals here, not ssd enabled things..ffs.

Weather rift aparts higher geometry and RT reflections is the suprior visuals compared to RT Gi is really a matter of opinion.
Its not like last gen where a game like killzone Shadow fall had several significant improvements compared to something like bioshock infinite remastered, however diminishing returns plays a part here. The move to a more uniform material based lighting was pretty huge generational improvement last gen.
I disagree, a game could have Equal geometry and still have significant improvements over last gen.

What is "next gen" is not as clear this gen as it was last gen. This gen really does feel like an evolution of last gen rather then a new leaf, from a visual perspective.

Its quite clear. Geometric density, FPS, Textures...RT.. Resolution etc...and many other things... The Matrix Awakens is next gen...

Sosokrates

What makes a game next gen is geometry then you add illumination,texture etc

With baked lightning

maxresdefault-6.jpeg

MGS2_1.jpg

ps3_mgs4_118.1.jpg

MGSV-The-Phantom-Pain-TGS-2014-Screen-Quiet-African-Jungle-Gameplay-2.jpg

With Ray tracing

quake-ii-rtx-05.jpg

metro-exodus-caspian-desert.jpg

matrix-awakens-unreal-engine-5-demo-9-14.png

A next gen leap can be many things from a visual perspective.
Aa cerny said hes excited to see what devs do with the tool he created.

Sosokrates

Its quite clear. Geometric density, FPS, Textures...RT.. Resolution etc...and many other things... The Matrix Awakens is next gen...

There are no set rules to it though

True I mean as far as fidelity...Metro looks last gen with RT slapped on and Rift apart can't be done on PS4 or Xbox One...

Here u imply that theres some generational differental in terms of visuals between rift apart and metro. While you may prefer the direction insomniac went that does not mean metros visuals are a "generation" apart. The difference is the games use different technologies and approaches, one is not obviously superior to the other when looked as a whole.
Its the first time an enhanced last gen game trades blows with a next gen exclusive, which is interesting.

xPikYx

In the contex of the conversation I was referring to the geometry level of last gen AAAs not gens prior.
And what that means? How can you make such a statement if you have nothing more advanced to compare despite something more in the past?

Sosokrates

And what that means? How can you make such a statement if you have nothing more advanced to compare despite something more in the past?

Well, we are comparing already out current gen exclusives with metro enhanced and Forza H5

Piggoro

Come on people! Aren't you too old to salivate that much about bull shots?
The game's gonna look great but as much as I wish so not that great. Although I'd be happy to be out wrong.

Piggoro

I’ll pre cook some crow for you.
I'll be happy to eat it. As I said I hope the game looks amazing and totally like in this shot.
I'm still skeptical of bullshots as I think we all should be by now.
HZD is in top 5 of my favorite games and my PS5 is super ready for the new one.

Top Bottom