• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Artists: I am in need of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I'm making a Zelda-esque 2D overhead adventure game for school/fun. While I'm a rather capable programmer, I lack any real artistic ability.

This is where your help comes in!

I could really use help from anyone interested in making tiles/characters for me.

Tiles need to be 40x40, and characters/enemied can either be 40x40 or 40x60.

Anyone seriously interested in helping can feel free to post their pictures in here. If I happen to put anything of yours in the game, I'll contact you, and you'll be credited accordingly.

Here's a like to all the graphics I've been able to work on myself. As you can see, I need help: http://www.nformant.net/game/

Thanks guys!

RiZ III

I made a similar request here a looong time ago. Got no responses really. My advice to you would be to google "sprite sheet"(s), "sprite rip"(s), "sprite edit"(s). Of course this wouldnt really work if anything you do belongs to the school which is how it is in my case. I could probably give you some of my shitty sprites i did for my beat em up game last semester but I dont think they would suit ur game.

Saturnman

Banned
Sort of. It's just freelance stuff.

This time, it's a Flash-based game. I can't say much because it is still confidential. But the workload is heavier than I had imagined.

I'd be tempted to help but I am already involved in the development of a game... and a comic strip.

This time, it's a Flash-based game. I can't say much because it is still confidential. But the workload is heavier than I had imagined.

:D

Technically it's Shockwave3D, but yeah...

When its finished, you guys will be impressed with what Saturnman did.

Saturnman

Banned
If I can give you some advice, do plenty of art and post it in the forums. You'll have fun, you'll improve your skills and possibly get noticed. I wouldn't restrict the art to only forums of course: You need more than that to increase your exposure, to be taken seriously, but it doesn't hurt to casually show off.

I don't know if they post here anymore but Jiggle and Emeraldz (sp?) at GA had some mad skills. If I were a producer/director/programmer and was looking for some people to help me develop a game (for cheap), I would be tempted to contact those GA posters and see if they would be interested.

XS+

Banned
Saturnman said:
If I can give you some advice, do plenty of art and post it in the forums. You'll have fun, you'll improve your skills and possibly get noticed. I wouldn't restrict the art to only forums of course: You need more than that to increase your exposure, to be taken seriously, but it doesn't hurt to casually show off.

I don't know if they post here anymore but Jiggle and Emeraldz (sp?) at GA had some mad skills. If I were a producer/director/programmer and was looking for some people to help me develop a game (for cheap), I would be tempted to contact those GA posters and see if they would be interested.
This is RENOVATION you're talking to Batty :)

And nobody paid attention to my work when I posted it online so I quit. I'd draw more but my current PC doesn't have the resources to handle PS and Painter at the same time, gotta buy a replacement comp soon.

Saturnman

Banned
LOL!

Then get cracking and post some drawings! Was Gum from JSR the last thing you showed off? Or was it the thing about SF Alpha? That was all 18 months ago, right?

One other thing that probably helped me is that I've dealt with numerous people who asked me stuff and then I tried to deliver the art as best as I could. It not only helps you design stuff for other people, it makes draw stuff you wouldn't normally draw on your own.

XS+

Banned
Last thing I posted online was a Capcom vs SNK (Joe vs Adon) pic. I did the 'request' thing a long time ago on another forum, but too many people made requests at once (even though I said I could only do so many at a time), so it ruined my rep on that site when I didn't make do on everyone's order. Not like that experience would stop me from trying that again (albeit cautiously).

I'll try to post another batch of artwork on GA before the year is out, depends on how my PC behaves.

Saturnman

Banned
Now that's better.

I was impressed by the enthusiasm shown by Rush(more). He did so many drawings at GA and he kept on improving. I just wish he had a clearer sense of direction in everything he did: he tended to do strict fan art and not much else. I think he could have done much, much more. I haven't seen him in a while though.

Is Alien Polak still around?

Saturnman

Banned
lol

That was Alien Polak. But when he decided to make fun of Tecmo and DOA games, I thought he showed promise. He only did it twice though. :)

Reno, when you start up again make sure you post your artwork on a website as well. The website doesn't have to be elaborate or anything, it can be simple. But that way if someone is actually seriously interested in your art, they can easily see the collection of your work. For example, when I saw Saturnman's website, it was interesting see all the different styles he experimented with.

To the original poster:

If you're just doing the game for fun or as a hobby, keep the art requirements down. If your art requirements are low, you might be able to find an up and coming artist who's willing to work a few weeks on your game. However, if your art requirements are high, then you'll need to consider paying your artist. Developing games can VERY easily drag on for months (for the more ambitious even years). If you don't have the proper incentives, you'll find team members either losing interest or real life concerns will get in the way.

But since you said you're doing the game for school/fun, make sure your art requirements are low so people can help you out without making a huge commitment, especially since there mostly likely won't be a financial benefit.

Good luck!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I might be able to contribut some stuff. No promises on if you will like it etc. and I certainly don't have time to do all of the art, but let me know what you need. It could be fun!

You took some of my advice to your advantage on this project before so maybe I can be of assistance again ;).

If PMs work now well keep talking.

Ecrofirt

Yes, your advice on the one monster really helped.

And I could use pretty much any kind of 40x40 scenery, or whatever devilish monsters you can think up.

RiZ III

Ur probably being judged on your code not art. If you want to move around pretty pictures, theres always the art dept. Plus, programmer art rocks
jam.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom