• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets announced for 3DS (UbiArt)

CazTGG

I know next to nothing about this show (other than it's fairly popular with kids and adults) but it's apparently it's utilizing UbiArt so consider me intrig-

VvLu4Lg.jpg

I withdraw my intrigue.

Just rewatched the teaser on a higher-res screen... yeah, that's definitely segmented scale-and-rotate animation and not hand-drawn. It'd be more conspicuous on an HD platform, to be fair, but UbiArt was the wrong choice for this one. :(

KHlover

Banned
*Takes away the grappling hook*

Hello I'm part of the super secret and scary video game government, based on this information I can assure you that *ahem* It is all that bad, and you should run away because of TERROR.

*Ahem*

As part of our jurisdiction, we will allow this game to be called good only if it receives fair review scores only then will we pressure you to buy this game. Thank you for you're time for reading this today, and remember. NO ONE SHOULD KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CONVERSATION WE HAVE, not even you!

neuralizer.png
Dude how can you post MiB in a Gravity Falls thread. Do it right ffs

latest

BedBison

Neo Member
UbiArt has me bought. Never seen the show either but I like to suport UbiArt stuff. Developers behind this makes me worried though.

CamHostage

If anything, Ubi Osaka assisted, but not designed the games. This may be their rare solo game.

And it'll probably turn out fine. I really don't understand why people are panicking because it's Ubisoft Osaka. It's not like they're a bad development team for making a bunch of Petz games, they're just workhorses given what the company calls for. People get snooty about developer pedigree, but it's the 1% of working, professional game developers who can choose their projects and make what they want. Most are your regular jobber team trying to make something worthwhile within the schedule and budget they have, and Ubisoft's got a million of these kinds of teams. (These Ubi teams BTW have a history of being pretty solid as far as B-grade work goes. It's rarely anything special, but even going back to GBC projects, I can't think of too many bargain-bin Ubisoft internal team projects that have been outright turds.)

I mean, maybe there are Gravity Falls fans actually suspecting something ace-caliber here, but to me this is exactly the type of who-cares license (maybe the show's good, but the brand means nothing to games yet) that you give to a perky team looking to break out a little and put an engine through some unexpected paces.

I'm not sure why Rayman Origins 3DS went bad or why Ubisoft pulled UbiArt projects from 3DS for so long (even if it were just its licensed stuff, the engine at least looks nice on it, and maybe if a game were made custom for 3DS it would have fewer technical hitches?,) but I'm hopeful that this bodes well for Ubi's relationship with the platform.

wrowa

I don't know what Gravity Falls is, but it's nice to see that Ubisoft starts using UbiArt for licensed software now. Even if this game ends up being a turd, it at least looks nice. :p

And it'll probably turn out fine. I really don't understand why people are panicking because it's Ubisoft Osaka. It's not like they're a bad development team for making a bunch of Petz games, they're just workhorses given what the company calls for. People get snooty about developer pedigree, but it's the 1% of working, professional game developers who can choose their projects and make what they want. Most are your regular jobber team trying to make something worthwhile within the schedule and budget they have, and Ubisoft's got a million of these kinds of teams. (These Ubi teams BTW have a history of being pretty solid as far as B-grade work goes. It's rarely anything special, but even going back to GBC projects, I can't think of too many bargain-bin Ubisoft internal team projects that have been outright turds.)

I mean, maybe there are Gravity Falls fans actually suspecting something ace-caliber here, but to me this is exactly the type of who-cares license (maybe the show's good, but the brand means nothing to games yet) that you give to a perky team looking to break out a little and put an engine through some unexpected paces.

I'm not sure why Rayman Origins 3DS went bad or why Ubisoft pulled UbiArt projects from 3DS for so long (even if it were just its licensed stuff, the engine at least looks nice on it, and maybe if a game were made custom for 3DS it would have fewer technical hitches?,) but I'm hopeful that this bodes well for Ubi's relationship with the platform.

Yeah I'm shocked that Ubisoft never attempted at another Rayman on 3DS. It is nice to see them come back after so long, they also just put out a proper Smurfs 3DS game in EU (not sure if it's coming to NA), no clue which team was on that.

But yeah, how did we go four years without a Rayman on 3DS? After the billionth port of Rayman 2 as a launch title, and Origins, that was it. Rabbids had actual original games on it, the Travel in Time game was custom-made for it, and they got Headstrong to create Rabbids Rumble on it, which by the way, was designed by the one and only Steve Malpass of ex-Rare fame (and voice of Fox in SFA!).

Shaanyboi

Banned
...okay. I'll buy this.

BUT STILL... Gravity Falls would be far better served as an adventure game, rather than just a platformer with a bunch of references

Pehesse

...okay. I'll buy this.

BUT STILL... Gravity Falls would be far better served as an adventure game, rather than just a platformer with a bunch of references

Agreed. This is what I'd have like to see back when I discovered the show:

..but I'll still give this one a fair chance!

Just rewatched the teaser on a higher-res screen... yeah, that's definitely segmented scale-and-rotate animation and not hand-drawn. It'd be more conspicuous on an HD platform, to be fair, but UbiArt was the wrong choice for this one. :(

Wondering what you mean by that? I'd love more info about this. As far as I know, UbiArt is scale and rotate animation as well, it just has segment swapping in addition to the basic tricks. Having its base sprite hand drawn has no bearing on the animation style itself, and UbiArt definitely doesn't use a hand drawn frame by frame traditional animation style, unless it massively changed from when I saw the tools (which is admittedly quite a few years back)...?

Release date is October 20, price is $29.99

Players will play as both Dipper and Mabel Pines in dual character gameplay switching between characters at any time to use their unique powers and abilities given through the power of Gnome magic. Dipper is bestowed with Gnome Battle Cuffs which deliver powerful punches at close range, and keeps his trusty flashlight by his side to shed light on the many mysteries in Gravity Falls. Mabel wields the Fleece of Bezazzlementthat lets her whip her sweater sleeves to attack monsters from afar, and her grappling hook is at the ready to help access areas otherwise out of reach. Dipper and Mabel will complement one another as they will unravel a mystery to learn more about the inhabitants of Gravity Falls and unlock secrets of the town’s past.

Top Bottom