• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls: LOTGG (3DS) |OT| Well, who wants a lamby, lamby, lamby...in 3D?

LWAK51v.jpg

uAfA2xT.png

Release Date: 10/20/15 - United States - 10/23/15 - Europe
Publisher - Ubisoft
Developer - Ubisoft Osaka/Ubisoft San Francisco
Platform - Nintendo 3DS
Price - $29.99/£17.99
waUATQZ.png

Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemults is the first "traditional" video game based off the Disney Channel/XD animated series of the same name. Powered by the UbiArt Framework engine that other Ubisoft games such as Rayman Legends, Child of Light, and Valiant Hearts: The Great War used, Gravity Falls is presented as an adventure/platformer that retrains the fluid, hand-drawn art style as that of the show itself.

For the uninitiated, Gravity Falls tells the story of twins Dipper and Mabel Pines, who are sent unwillingly from their comfy California home to spend the summer out in the middle of nowhere in the Oregon Wilderness with their Great-Uncle Stan (called "Grunkle" for short)

At first, things seem boring and low-key until Dipper finds an old journal hidden away in the woods. The tome tells the kids about the strange and supernatural side of the mountain town, including horrifying monsters, warped oddities, evil clones, ghosts, goblins, shape-shifters, and dream demons. As Dipper and Mabel make friends and become more familiar with their surroundings, they learn that in Gravity Falls, nothing is what it appears to be; their most important lesson being:

nxm956B.png

At the same time, the overall story is presented with an unique sense of charm and heart not seen on television since the early days of the Simpsons. The ideology of "growing up" and what comes with it, rings as true in this series just as much as its sci-fi structuring.

So, TL;DR: Think Tween-friendly X-Files mixed with a sprinkle of classic Simpsons = best thing Disney's done in years (Frozen, my ass!)

The game's story revolves around the gnome creatures introduced early in the first season of the series. The tribe's leader, Jeff, seeks out the Pines twins' aid when the Gnome Gemluts are stolen from their resting place. Without the presence of the Gemluts, he claims that all of the magic in the Gravity Falls Forest will wither and die!

Reluctant to help their one-time foe at first, Dipper and Mabel are bribed with promises of Gnome gold and magic in order to take on the journey across town in an effort to discover the true culprit.
tadRb0t.png

Gravity Falls: LOTGG is an original story created for the 3DS in conjunction with the series creator, Alex Hirsch. Hirsch helped Ubisoft with nearly every aspect including:

-artwork and new character design
-story and script creation

although it is unclear where the game sits in the series' chronological order as of yet...

In this game, you can play as either of the Pines twins, Dipper and Mabel, switching between the two at any given time (think Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)

Using the special weapons given by the gnome people, each character has unique abilities required to progress in the game.

Dipper uses a flashlight that is meant to uncover hidden items and messages tucked away in the various areas of Gravity Falls:
SEsbul7.gif

...as well as "Gnome Battle Cuffs" to give a wallop to any monsters, or even be used as a defensive tool:
6S6PmkZ.gif

Mabel, on the other end, is given a "Fleece of Bedazzlement" that is able to strike enemies from a distance...
FvM7WG6.png

...plus, she is gifted with the fan-favorite
tumblr_nglysmmOZx1sq4rm7o1_500.gif

which allows her to cross large gaps both far and beyond.
CDrH4k3.gif

As the twins progress further in their quest, finding secret items, accomplishing quests, and taking on massive bosses, more of Gravity Falls will become unlocked, including numerous show locations such as:

-Grunkle Stan's Mystery Shack
-Wendy's Gift Shop counter
-Gravity Falls Forest
-Mountainside
-Man-cave
-Lake Gravity Falls/Scuttlebutt Island
-Old Man McGucket's Junkyard Hideout
-The Gnome hideaway
kUp3uKA.png

s4smFD6.png

Dipper and Mabel Pines are the twelve-year-old twins forced to spend their summer vacation with their great-uncle in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Dipper is an intelligent and curious child, yet having an incredibly anxious side (think of a tiny Fox Mulder without the charisma) while Mabel is the complete opposite, finding delight and joy in life as she views the world through a goofy, yet sweet perspective. Despite their differences, the siblings are tight-knit, depending on one another as they encounter all of the weirdness that the quaint town has to offer.
toPWmRF.png

"Grunkle" Stan
ley
Pines
is a naturally born shyster and salesman at heart. The elder runs the Mystery Shack tourist trap deep in the Gravity Falls Woods in order to make an buck or two. In spite of his rough exterior, Stan does have a soft spot for his extended family, especially the twins. In the game, Stan seems to serve as quest giver in the Shack as well as out in the field.
2JWrayi.png

Jesus "Soos" Ramirez is the Mystery Shack's handyman. A stout-hearted man-child, Soos is gifted with the ability to fix nearly anything, considering his natural dim-wittedness. What Soos lacks in intelligence, he makes up for in heart, as he would do anything for his family and friends. In the game, Soos is able to upgrade the twins' weaponry.
q2mSE9X.png

Arguably the best character on the show,
Wendy Corduroy is a super-tall, yet incredibly lethargic high-schooler that runs the Gift Shop of the Mystery Shack. Originally serving as Dipper's on-and-off-again crush, Wendy has come into her own in newer episodes of the show, showing an interest in the supernatural events plaguing her hometown, while displaying an invaluable athleticism and inner strength. as well as a somewhat nerve-wrecked demeanor beneath her "cool" facade. In the game, Wendy works the counter of the Mystery Shack
where she'll probably stay as under-appreciated/unused in the game as she is in the show - consider ourselves lucky if she ends up a damsel in distress by game's end
0s90VQ9.png

Fiddleford H. McGucket is said to be the town "kook," but behind his fragile mind lies a tragic past as well as a brilliant creative intelligence. His role in the game is unknown as of the moment...
P6NIgOm.png

Jeff the Gnome King is the leader of the tribe of Gnomes living in the Gravity Falls Forest. Originally presented as an foe in the first episode,
as he kidnaps Mabel in hopes of making her his child bride,
Jeff charges the Pines twins with the mission to return the Gnome Gemluts in order to preserve the magical state of the woodland area.
cVSY0gC.png

TBA
QDDrvAJ.png

3dot3AQ.jpg

pOMtR5T.jpg

LK0l20F.jpg

yCHO3kN.jpg

830ndAS.jpg

AkynbPv.jpg

hdqfvPz.jpg

TgXfmuI.jpg

Msunwru.jpg

08RGKFy.jpg

d6bp7cL.jpg

LcTfhgu.jpg

Announcement trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vSV3F7P40

Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxHBj5ovrhE
i7iDVnE.png

Alex Hirsch and the Gravity Falls Team
Mysteryofgf/Gravity Falls Cipher (thanks anyways for the help)
Gravity Falls Wiki
And last, but not least, the excellent GF community here on NeoGAF!

ucN.gif

MVUcUNw.gif

Tizoc

EDIT: Amazon UK has it for 18 Pounds now heh ^^;
And they changed the price in the order I made months ago, cool :D

I have a feeling this might be an Amazon black Friday sale game like TMNT on 3DS was last year (half off). Not to say it doesn't look fun. I'm glad Gravity Falls finally got a game and I'll certainly play it eventually.

EBreda

Cant wait for reviews.
Love the show and the UbiArt platform. Hopefully they can make it work, despite the horrible track record (Petz, Smurfs? damn).

fernoca

Disney doesn't add them to their own Disney Infinity (aside Toy Box level, weapons and customizations), why some are asking for amiibo/the competition? XD

Getting this anyway this week. :p

Psxphile

Out today, right? Hope to see some impressions soon.

Keep in mind, this was made by the guys that made this.

Nwd77Wz.jpg

AND this.
Feels like this post prematurely killed this thread. I mean, you're not wrong to be concerned...

How have they not made a Zombies Ate My Neighbors-y game with this license yet?
Wow, that would work surprisingly well. Goddamn, now I'm mad it's not this. What have you done!?

No playable Stan no sale.

"I'm slower, but I jump higher."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Disney doesn't add them to their own Disney Infinity (aside Toy Box level, weapons and customizations), why some are asking for amiibo/the competition? XD

Getting this anyway this week. :p

She's also in Toybox Takeover as a sidekick choice!

The_Kid

:p

Nope. Since preorders opened in July, Amazon listed the game like that. Maybe there was ond planned back then. Since back then they were quite silent about the game.

Ah. Disappointing.

I honestly have little hope for this game. I asked Hirsch at Comic Con what sort of influence he'd have in the game (after J.G. Quintel repeatedly said he had a lot of hands on time with his 3DS game), and well, he said not as much as he'd like. He seemed disappointed almost. But I could only ask him so much in the 30 seconds during the signing.

fernoca

miiverse community only has one comment, I think this one bombed.
Well, it was just released today, some stores opened a few hours ago, and a good chunk of this game users might receive this game later today/this week/month/year, or just never use it online.

It was kind of a stealth release, so who knows. Though if the game is bad, then it better bomb. :p

Vanillalite

miiverse community only has one comment, I think this one bombed.

Well, it was just released today, some stores opened a few hours ago, and a good chunk of this game users might receive this game later today/this week/month/year, or just never use it online.

It was kind of a stealth release, so who knows. Though if the game is bad, then it better bomb. :p

This!

Game release was never hyped even by Ubi. The game also got moved up so the release date changed. They also only had one copy when I ran out to pick up mine. I got the only copy my local GS got.

I'll post impressions after I play along with my kiddos impressions. We love the TV show!

Portman

I'm looking forward to playing it but I goofed up and had the wrong release date in my head. For some reason I was thinking it was Friday and that I had plenty of time to order it for release date delivery. Got it ordered yesterday so I should have it by Thursday and will dive into it once I'm home from work.

Vanillalite

Haven't personally played yet, but I'm watching the girl child play. Seems really cool and totally faithful to the show.

She just went in the Mystery Shack to see Soos and said this is cool while typing this.

Not sure about the gameplay, but fanservice + graphics are winrar for me.

So I played a little more than an hour of this and I'm actually having a good bit of fun. The game looks pretty good, though characters can look a little blurry especially when the camera zooms out. As a huge fan of the show I'm loving all of the detail in the environments. Lots of throwbacks to certain episodes (Gobblewonker, dinosaurs in the tree sap, etc)

Story is pretty basic. Find the four gemulets to ensure the gnome forest doesn't die. Writing is great and very self aware. Soos keeps mentioning how he'll be that character that 'stands there and waits for the adventurers to come back'.

I'm two gemulets in and the level design seems fine. There's a handful of side areas that you'll have to return to later on with new abilities to access to collect secret items and such. Mabel has her grapple hook and Dipper has the flashlight which can be used to shrink down which is pretty cool. You can switch on the fly between characters. Just did a section where I had to split them up and go through two different sections of the level with each character. The controls feel okay for the most part. The one boss fight I've done so far was pretty interesting too and required switching between Dipper and Mabel.

You can go into a town square where a lot of characters from the show are and they each have their own quest. Pacifica, Robbie, Candy, Grenda, etc. All of them are just getting you to collect a set number of things that they've lost. Not sure what happens when you complete them. Old Man McGucket upgrades your gear in exchange for the game's currency.

It's not going to blow people away, but I think for what it is it's a neat little platformer. It's looking like it'll be pretty short, little more than an hour and I've only got two other areas I haven't explored. Hopefully 100% collectibles will add a bit more time to the game. I think the amount of detail and fanservice helps though. I bought this at full price because I wanted to support the show, but I'm pleased with how the game turned out.

Also I haven't seen any hint or mention of Bill, Lil Gideon, or certain other major things that have happened in season two. Not sure if any of that will pop up later though I'm guessing not.

RK128

So I played a little more than an hour of this and I'm actually having a good bit of fun. The game looks pretty good, though characters can look a little blurry especially when the camera zooms out. As a huge fan of the show I'm loving all of the detail in the environments. Lots of throwbacks to certain episodes (Gobblewonker, dinosaurs in the tree sap, etc)

Story is pretty basic. Find the four gemulets to ensure the gnome forest doesn't die. Writing is great and very self aware. Soos keeps mentioning how he'll be that character that 'stands there and waits for the adventurers to come back'.

I'm two gemulets in and the level design seems fine. There's a handful of side areas that you'll have to return to later on with new abilities to access to collect secret items and such. Mabel has her grapple hook and Dipper has the flashlight which can be used to shrink down which is pretty cool. You can switch on the fly between characters. Just did a section where I had to split them up and go through two different sections of the level with each character. The controls feel okay for the most part. The one boss fight I've done so far was pretty interesting too and required switching between Dipper and Mabel.

You can go into a town square where a lot of characters from the show are and they each have their own quest. Pacifica, Robbie, Candy, Grenda, etc. All of them are just getting you to collect a set number of things that they've lost. Not sure what happens when you complete them. Old Man McGucket upgrades your gear in exchange for the game's currency.

It's not going to blow people away, but I think for what it is it's a neat little platformer. It's looking like it'll be pretty short, little more than an hour and I've only got two other areas I haven't explored. Hopefully 100% collectibles will add a bit more time to the game. I think the amount of detail and fanservice helps though. I bought this at full price because I wanted to support the show, but I'm pleased with how the game turned out.

Also I haven't seen any hint or mention of Bill, Lil Gideon, or certain other major things that have happened in season two. Not sure if any of that will pop up later though I'm guessing not.

Thank you for sharing those impressions :D!

It sounds like its a good game that while nothing outstanding, is true to the show and offers a fun experience that has a level of polish that doesn't touch the 2D Raymans, but it is somewhat close to it (thanks to the Ubi Art Engine making the game look/play well).

Will give this a shot at a lower price down the line for sure now :).

It's a good game with great personality and fun writing, great graphics with nice depth to the 3d, and some nice tunes. There are only like 5 stages, but they are quite big. I'm halfway through the last "palette swapped" stage (one of the characters snarks that developers do that to stretch a game out) and it looks like I'll be beating it with the vast majority of the collectibles at about 4 hours. I was expecting shorter honestly, most 3ds licensed games are in the 1 to 2 hour range (Olaf's Quest, Big Hero 6) So worth it at 10 bucks I'd say, or if you love the show it's probably worth it now. I've never seen the show and I find the game charming.

Blues1990

I find it funny that the game has to justify Dipper's flaming fist thingies, given (for the most part) that he's physically pathetic.

So...I just finished the game 100%...

To be honest, it's quite a short game (about 6-7 hours) for $29.99 (technically $23, thank you GCU discount!), but I was happy with the gameplay overall.

Think of GF as "Rayman Lite" with a sprinkle of Metroidvania tossed in for good measure. The game does take place in the first half of season two (since Robbie and Stan mention the events of "The Love God,") and easily fits into the show's canon, unlike the AT or newer TMNT games.

The livid, well animated graphics have to be my favorite part of the game. The amount of detail given to the Pines twins and their world is incredible. It reminds me of the classic Sonic games where both Dipper and Mabel have special animations depending on the situation, like a teetering-over pose (a la Sonic and Tails) or watching them grow anxious as one twin waits for another during the "split path" segments. With that said, the 3DS display does give off a fuzziness at times, and the 3D effect doesn't really work as well as it should (the best example of a cool effect is Dipper's final ability). It makes me wish for a Vita/HD port in the future to see everything crystal clear.

The writing is top notch (considering that Ubisoft says Hirsch contributed to it), though I'd guess that the Brothers Chapman might have lended a hand, as some lines made me think of Telltale's Strong Bad series. The majority of other GF characters have been reduced to NPC roles (to where only Soos is self aware of this) where you have to find a quantity of a certain item to appease them (e.g. Wendy wants 7 of her missing hipster-esque cassettes and Grenda is missing her Dumbbells, etc). Disaapointly, you aren't given anything beneficial in the game for doing so, save for the characters adding a bit to the series's lore. A note to add is that when item searching, DO NOT quit in level after finding a missing item as the game will not save it! You have to finish the whole friggin stage for it to record it...(how many times I had to beat the Gnome Forest over and over...)

The living backgrounds are a great touch, as you explore nearly every GF landmark mentioned in the show. Not since "Stimpy's Invention" on the Genesis/Mega Drive have I seen so many references added to each level of a licensed game. And while every stage is different, the formula almost never changes:

-Explore a new area
-Find 4 "new attractions" for Stan
-solve a puzzle to enter the boss room
-fight the boss, who changes pattern slightly each time.

It's only during the final stages that the difficulty jumps a bit (fuckin' evil
Wendy clone
) but I wouldn't call it hard as long as you pay attention. Due to the changing enemy patterns, you do have to rely on Mabel a bit more in the end...

Still, I wouldn't call Gravity Falls a bad game. It's pretty decent for a first attempt, though it has nothing on the classic Disney-Capcom games of yore. If you can get it around the $15-$20 mark, I'd say it was worth it, especially if you are a big GF fan like myself. I'd peg it at 7.5-8.0/10 (if my jank-ass review wasn't enough to go by)

And now, a few spoilers for the GF fan who probably won't play through this:

-Surprisingly,
out of all the NPC characters, Wendy is the most talkative, given more lines than any other character. Ditto when you complete the game, where she hints at already making plans to visit Dipper and Mabel in California...
-And speaking of
our favorite ginger, I guess I totally jinxed her in the OT. Wendy doesn't move her ass from the Gift Shop until endgame where she is kidnapped by the main bad guy (along with the rest of the Mystery Shack crew, to be fair). Still, I was only fucking around, Ubi...
-Pacifica
goes back to treating the Pines like shit, although both she and Mabel reference the events of "Northwest Mansion Mystery," much to Dipper's dismay (Salty Dipper is best Dipper...)
-Now that I mentioned that,
when you finish Jeff's quest, you learn from his diary that the gnomes are planning to make Pacifica their new queen (totally dodged a bullet there, Dipper...)
-Stan
pops in and out of the game using the smoke bombs from the opening. Of course, he leaves you to do all of the hard work. Fucking lazy ass...
-Nothing really exciting with
Soos, besides confirming that he and Melody are still dating.
-Ditto for
Robbie, Candy, and Grenda (still a wiener and weirdos...)
-Gamewise, if you are missing any of the collectibles,
always make sure you check the left of the starting point of every stage. Plus, kill every creature you can as they hold some of the items.
-Once you unlocked the
Bottomless Pit at the end of the game, make sure you go back after the credits to power up your weapons.
-No
Gideon in the game, but Bill Cipher is referenced during the final level as well as hidden in the cavern's background.
-Last, but not least, the ending is
Stan starting to tell the kids about the day they were born, making reference to their Grandpa Shermie (as mentioned in "Tale of Two Stans")

Hope you guys dig it! Will update the OP when I get a chance.

EBreda

So...I just finished the game 100%...

To be honest, it's quite a short game (about 6-7 hours) for $29.99 (technically $23, thank you GCU discount!), but I was happy with the gameplay overall.

Think of GF as "Rayman Lite" with a sprinkle of Metroidvania tossed in for good measure. The game does take place in the first half of season two (since Robbie and Stan mention the events of "The Love God,") and easily fits into the show's canon, unlike the AT or newer TMNT games.

The livid, well animated graphics have to be my favorite part of the game. The amount of detail given to the Pines twins and their world is incredible. It reminds me of the classic Sonic games where both Dipper and Mabel have special animations depending on the situation, like a teetering-over pose (a la Sonic and Tails) or watching them grow anxious as one twin waits for another during the "split path" segments. With that said, the 3DS display does give off a fuzziness at times, and the 3D effect doesn't really work as well as it should (the best example of a cool effect is Dipper's final ability). It makes me wish for a Vita/HD port in the future to see everything crystal clear.

The writing is top notch (considering that Ubisoft says Hirsch contributed to it), though I'd guess that the Brothers Chapman might have lended a hand, as some lines made me think of Telltale's Strong Bad series. The majority of other GF characters have been reduced to NPC roles (to where only Soos is self aware of this) where you have to find a quantity of a certain item to appease them (e.g. Wendy wants 7 of her missing hipster-esque cassettes and Grenda is missing her Dumbbells, etc). Disaapointly, you aren't given anything beneficial in the game for doing so, save for the characters adding a bit to the series's lore. A note to add is that when item searching, DO NOT quit in level after finding a missing item as the game will not save it! You have to finish the whole friggin stage for it to record it...(how many times I had to beat the Gnome Forest over and over...)

The living backgrounds are a great touch, as you explore nearly every GF landmark mentioned in the show. Not since "Stimpy's Invention" on the Genesis/Mega Drive have I seen so many references added to each level of a licensed game. And while every stage is different, the formula almost never changes:

-Explore a new area
-Find 4 "new attractions" for Stan
-solve a puzzle to enter the boss room
-fight the boss, who changes pattern slightly each time.

It's only during the final stages that the difficulty jumps a bit (fuckin' evil
Wendy clone
) but I wouldn't call it hard as long as you pay attention. Due to the changing enemy patterns, you do have to rely on Mabel a bit more in the end...

Still, I wouldn't call Gravity Falls a bad game. It's pretty decent for a first attempt, though it has nothing on the classic Disney-Capcom games of yore. If you can get it around the $15-$20 mark, I'd say it was worth it, especially if you are a big GF fan like myself. I'd peg it at 7.5-8.0/10 (if my jank-ass review wasn't enough to go by)

And now, a few spoilers for the GF fan who probably won't play through this:

-Surprisingly,
out of all the NPC characters, Wendy is the most talkative, given more lines than any other character. Ditto when you complete the game, where she hints at already making plans to visit Dipper and Mabel in California...
-And speaking of
our favorite ginger, I guess I totally jinxed her in the OT. Wendy doesn't move her ass from the Gift Shop until endgame where she is kidnapped by the main bad guy (along with the rest of the Mystery Shack crew, to be fair). Still, I was only fucking around, Ubi...
-Pacifica
goes back to treating the Pines like shit, although both she and Mabel reference the events of "Northwest Mansion Mystery," much to Dipper's dismay (Salty Dipper is best Dipper...)
-Now that I mentioned that,
when you finish Jeff's quest, you learn from his diary that the gnomes are planning to make Pacifica their new queen (totally dodged a bullet there, Dipper...)
-Stan
pops in and out of the game using the smoke bombs from the opening. Of course, he leaves you to do all of the hard work. Fucking lazy ass...
-Nothing really exciting with
Soos, besides confirming that he and Melody are still dating.
-Ditto for
Robbie, Candy, and Grenda (still a wiener and weirdos...)
-Gamewise, if you are missing any of the collectibles,
always make sure you check the left of the starting point of every stage. Plus, kill every creature you can as they hold some of the items.
-Once you unlocked the
Bottomless Pit at the end of the game, make sure you go back after the credits to power up your weapons.
-No
Gideon in the game, but Bill Cipher is referenced during the final level as well as hidden in the cavern's background.
-Last, but not least, the ending is
Stan starting to tell the kids about the day they were born, making reference to their Grandpa Shermie (as mentioned in "Tale of Two Stans")

Hope you guys dig it! Will update the OP when I get a chance.

Great impressions/review, thank you very much!
I'll try to pick this one up when it hits 19.99.

Nice to know the game is ok. Bought it because I want to support Gravity Falls (yeah even if the reasoning may seam stupid I think it could lead to have more ambitious games for TV shows like this one) but didn't played yet since there's Zeldaaaaaa ! ^^

Tizoc

Started it up recently and here are my impressions so far
THE INTRO MUSIC IS PLAYED AT THE MAIN MENU
Game is rather slow paced, and overall the game feels straight forward which I don't mind personally. On the plus side it's good for kids.
There is A LOT of dialog
A LOT, but I don't mind it, since it's the same humor as the show, and while it can interrupt the gameplay flow I find this to be a game I don't need to rush through and take my time playing it.

Mable and Dipper's attack animations could be better but I like that Dipper gets the uppercut from SoR2.

Sagitario

I bought it for $25. It should be here in a couple of days.
Thanks for the impressions, MaverickHunterX.

Vooks review: 3/5
http://www.vooks.net/gravity-falls-legend-of-the-gnome-gimlets-3ds-review/
vooks.net said:
As it stands, ‘Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulet’ is a good licensed game that is perfect for kids. However, savvy gamers, even if fans of the show, will likely be left disappointed with the amount of content and replayability beyond collecting everything. It’s a visually appealing game, creating a very recognisable Gravity Falls that is fun and simple to play in. However there are a number of problems with the game and once you’re done there isn’t much to do.

fernoca

Separate post, but game's definetely great.

e7NClNr.jpg

Not only they captured everything from the show (well, except voice acting), but it is a fun 2D platformer. Really glad I (finally) got this.

Top Bottom