• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone put my mind at ease. I have only seen the first episode but I stupidly checked out more about the Journal on the wiki as I liked the commercial posted about it with Jason Ritter and saw who the author of the book was.
Stanley(or something similar) Pines. Must be related to the twins then.
I hope knowing that isn't that big of a spoiler as I have no clue who the character is anyway.

Thanks!

Impotaku

Best not go digging online for info till you have watched the whole thing, the last few episodes will have you on the edge of your seat. You may have spoiled it a bit for yourself but just start watching & try to forget what you read.

Holy crap! A GF bump - and not by me? It truly must be April Fools!

Aww...no Wendy. I'll grab Dipper and Mable.

I usually hate Funko Pops, but this might be the first time that I buy any. Just to show support for Gravity Falls.

I hear ya, oddduck. There's so little Wendy merch for some reason (hopefully there's a round 2 of the Pops)

But in the meanwhile, check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCHWMT1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

10936928_hi

And she's included in the set. Have yet to see those in stores though...

Got all excited and clicked the amazon.com link to find it was unavailable, i then on the off chance decided to check my local amazon.uk and bam they had copies for preorder and even cheaper.

Always wanted a copy of the journal that was as close to the real thing as possible, while it's expensive, it's also something that will most likely not get reprinted again as a special edition like this. It's either dive in now and absorb the price at release. Or pay 10 times the amount from a reseller later on, i have seen this pattern happen so many times.

Remember looking for western animated shows and this been recommended, dived in and been really suprised at how good it is as i thought Dipper & Mabel would be super annoying but they grow on you really fast and have a great relationship. Ended up been one of my most enjoyed shows, love all the hidden clues and the satisfying ending to the whole thing. As much as i'd like to see more i'm more than happy on how it ended.

Good to hear you're enjoying the show and that you were able to find a copy of the book. If there's one thing I learned from Scott Pilgrim, is that for these "cult-classics," grab as much merch as you can before it skyrockets one day...

So everybody saw this, right? Cos it's amazing and everyone needs to see it.

No! Thanks for posting this! How the fuck isn't this on Disney XD commercials? I swear, the way they keep reuniting for these gigs, there's gotta be something happening in the works down the line (kinda like Avatar/Korra - that was five years, right?)

Can someone put my mind at ease. I have only seen the first episode but I stupidly checked out more about the Journal on the wiki as I liked the commercial posted about it with Jason Ritter and saw who the author of the book was.
Stanley(or something similar) Pines. Must be related to the twins then.
I hope knowing that isn't that big of a spoiler as I have no clue who the character is anyway.

Thanks!

Welcome to the cult of GF-GAF! Best advice - stop reading that journal (or wiki) until you're finished with the show. The journal acts as a commentary of sorts about what happened behind the scenes with the characters (though not every question is answered unfortunately) However, you do need the journal's info to learn about one of the biggest twists in the finale or for example, Dipper's real name. (Which is kinda bullshit, but I digress...)

Best not go digging online for info till you have watched the whole thing, the last few episodes will have you on the edge of your seat. You may have spoiled it a bit for yourself but just start watching & try to forget what you read.

Pretty much this.

Also know that Mabel sucks

We laugh, but heaven help ya if you say that outside the safe confines of GF-GAF

What's the deal with the book?

I have a copy of the same book I got like 6 months ago.

It's a better cover and binding. Signed by Hirsch and with added secrets in invisible ink (that requires a black light to see). It's also a future reseller's wet dream as well.

Impotaku

I'm was in the mood for some merchandise & for some DIY craft type stuff. The one thing i came across was this amazing poster comprised of all of the secret message screen grabs assembled together. Found a seller on ebay that sells it in various sizes, my plan been to take some UV invisible ink markers and go over some of the text art & symbols in the background so they really standout under blacklight. Also using some glue & embossing foil, go over some of the other features to make it look really cool. Just need to wait for it to turn up now.

Seen some cool attempts at making some of the items from the show, while the memory gun is way out of my skill level i could attempt the dimensional rift using a mini plasma globe.

Impotaku

Poster arived the other day, picture frame for it arived today. Looks really smart, now just waiting for the UV ink & gold leaf to turn up so i can have fun customizing it.

p0LLykg.jpg

Impotaku

Found this nice cool papercraft kit of the mystery shack on etsy, have an ulterior motive once i saw it. Once my order turns up i'll have a template i can use to make a better model of it as the sizes will all be worked out. Wendy's secret spot needs a bit of modification though as i don't think it's meant to be sloped like that. It's going to be a lot of work though so many tiny planks & shingle roof tiles been a long time since i built a diorama.

A pretty cool kit in itself though, the black linework makes it look like it has fallen right out of the show.

il_570xN.1013121978_9zm1.jpg

Impotaku

What a frustrating journey it's been lol, all i wanted to do was to gild and embellish a poster with UV ink. Turns out they don't make super fine tip UV markers so i tried UV ink at first with a fine glass pen, it didn't work as the ink is too watery. Also learned that you need a light colour undereath to make it glow it's brightest. So next i bought some UV permanent markers and tested shaving down the tip to a finer point, that seemed to work.

In the process of gilding i royally screwed up my poster as some of the gold wouldn't come back off, so now this one is destroyed so i'm now using it as UV pen practice till my replacement shows up. An unfortunate mess but it will look great in the end, i may skip all further attempts to add gold to it lol.

In the meantime been tracing all the yellow writing so it glows. First attempt with the markers before i shaved them down, looks ok but a little sloppy.
And with a finer shaved marker, will take my time a lot more on the proper poster.
For Gravity Falls i'll make that extra effort as in the end it'll look great when all finished & framed back up again, just waiting for that dentical replacement. Don't think i'll be doing it to the other poster that i orderd though as it was an expensive one and a limited print.
il_570xN.789897038_82x7.jpg

Impotaku

Finished one poster as my other arrived, glad i managed to get it all completed, now glows brilliantly under blacklight, the gold gilding also worked out great as well.

Love the artwork on this new arrival, now looking for the ideal spot to hang it up
Also got a Bill statue and a Stan bobblehead from the mystery shack along with a load of other ephemera from the show, finding some of the unofficial merchandise is just as good if not better than some of the official stuff.
They even threw in a poster from the san diego comic con from a few years back, a fantastic extra will be looking at getting that one framed too.
jfmsBq1.jpg

Wish there were better figures released as those official ones don't look that great, and the domes ones look off too.

Greetings, true believers!

So, I guess Hirsch made a surprise appearance at Momocon, and as expected, bought a few goodies:

http://fuckyeahgravityfalls.com/post/161149967865

Also, check out an extended scene from the finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLChgkKP6eY&feature=youtu.be

And another GF secret revealed:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheMysteryofGF/status/868299267718479872

About damn time for that last one!

Finally, I know people love/hate the Funko POPs here, but Hot Topic has an exclusive one:

http://www.hottopic.com/product/fun...inyl-figure-hot-topic-exclusive/10912839.html

Cool, but where's Wendy, dammit?!

Impotaku

omg the thread is still alive lol.

In between the agonizing wait for the special edition of journal 3 i have been building a mystery shack of my own, it's coming along nicely, when done it will hopefully look pretty sweet. All windows and outdoor lights will light up, so far done all the main walls but waiting for paint & ink to turn up to finish them off then it's onto building the base & decking that the shack sits on with finally the roof coming last with a million shingles to cut out by hand and glue on.

Psxphile

omg the thread is still alive lol.

In between the agonizing wait for the special edition of journal 3 i have been building a mystery shack of my own, it's coming along nicely, when done it will hopefully look pretty sweet. All windows and outdoor lights will light up, so far done all the main walls but waiting for paint & ink to turn up to finish them off then it's onto building the base & decking that the shack sits on with finally the roof coming last with a million shingles to cut out by hand and glue on.

oh wow, it's not even close to done and I'm already amazed. Excellent work!

NR1

This series seriously needs a DVD and/or Blu-ray release. It kills me every time this topic gets revived and I continue to be disappointed with now home video release.

This series seriously needs a DVD and/or Blu-ray release. It kills me every time this topic gets revived and I continue to be disappointed with now home video release.

Leave it to Disney to not even have the series available on anything but a marked up season price on iTunes.

Impotaku

Seems Amazon has been screwing up everyones journal 3 special edition preorders. Mine still hasn't shipped and i can't even get a shipping estimate out of them. Had to resort to a 3rd party seller to get a copy, just hoping that one ships.

On a nice point my Ford figure arrived today, man he looks great hope the mystery shack do more characters as their stuff is way better than any of the licensed GF figures.

The_Kid

Seems Amazon has been screwing up everyones journal 3 special edition preorders. Mine still hasn't shipped and i can't even get a shipping estimate out of them. Had to resort to a 3rd party seller to get a copy, just hoping that one ships.

On a nice point my Ford figure arrived today, man he looks great hope the mystery shack do more characters as their stuff is way better than any of the licensed GF figures.

Its also like impossible to find the licensed figures anymore. ;3;

Impotaku

Its also like impossible to find the licensed figures anymore. ;3;

Yeah the janky official ones seem to go for a fotune now as the scalpers have grabbed any remaining stock. Seems weird that for a show that was so popular & loved that there is not that much official merch out for it. So far the only things that i have bought that are official are the books as they are great.

While i would love to support the show officially with everything i buy, i find that there is just too many great unlicensed items out there to resist buying.

Stuff like this fantastic Mabel figure off etsy
il_570xN.1167653177_qssb.jpg

Bluth54

Yeah the janky official ones seem to go for a fotune now as the scalpers have grabbed any remaining stock. Seems weird that for a show that was so popular & loved that there is not that much official merch out for it. So far the only things that i have bought that are official are the books as they are great.

While i would love to support the show officially with everything i buy, i find that there is just too many great unlicensed items out there to resist buying.

Stuff like this fantastic Mabel figure off etsy
il_570xN.1167653177_qssb.jpg

I imagine most companies that make licensed products aren't super interested in making products for a show that no longer makes any new episodes even if it was a bit of a cult hit. There are very few franchises that get merchandise made when no new content is being made and Gravity Falls just isn't one of them.

Now if the creator of Gravity Falls decided he wanted to do more and we got a season 3 set during the next summer I'm sure we would see a lot of new merchandise.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I just binged watched this show after recording a series marathon a few weeks ago and wow I love everything about it. I was legitimately sad during the finale and it gave me so many feels. Also now I'm sad that there was a special edition of journal 3 and its sold out. Right after I watched the finale yesterday I wanted to buy merchandise lol.

Hmm seems I can still get a copy of the special edition journal. Also anyone know where to get a good Dipper hat?. Saw a few on Amazon.

edit:Hmm I would have totally jumped at the $90 preorder price that was posted last year but paying $150 is alot harder to swallow. Tempted to just get the regular version but the allure of the special edition is so strong.

Impotaku

I just binged watched this show after recording a series marathon a few weeks ago and wow I love everything about it. I was legitimately sad during the finale and it gave me so many feels. Also now I'm sad that there was a special edition of journal 3 and its sold out. Right after I watched the finale yesterday I wanted to buy merchandise lol.

Hmm seems I can still get a copy of the special edition journal. Also anyone know where to get a good Dipper hat?. Saw a few on Amazon.

edit:Hmm I would have totally jumped at the $90 preorder price that was posted last year but paying $150 is alot harder to swallow. Tempted to just get the regular version but the allure of the special edition is so strong.

The mystery shack has a couple of hats but the lighter blue one that's officially licensed is sold out at the moment. They have a unlicensed one though still for sale
https://themysteryshack.com/collections/gravity-falls

Impotaku

Boo now that you point out there's an official licensed hat I want that one lol. Also looks like I'm getting a bonus at work for volunteering to help out another location book 3 will be mine now haha.

The licensed hat is now back in stock if you still are after one.

Impotaku

Bit more progress on the mystery shack, the roof is pretty much done. Didn't like the chimney's light grey paintjob so that was redone & loads of washes put on to tone it down but i didn't take an updated pic. So far it's completion total is about 35% there's still an obscene amount to build & make on it but it's coming together well.The most time consuming bit has been done which was the roof.

Impotaku

Thanks. Think I'll back off a special edition but I ordered the licensed hat the other day. And I'll likely buy the regular journal 3 at some point.

Finished reading the journal the other day, it's very recommended as it fills in a lot of the story that the show didn't get around to. There's a reason why Ford was so angry when stan brought him back and it wasn't related to what happened as kids or just because he used the portal, also Mabel is not as bad as people make out she leaves Dipper a pretty heartfelt apology in the book. They could have easily made a 3rd season around all the stuff Ford got upto as he jumped between dimensions, thankfully the book shows you what he had been upto in the 30 years he was gone.

Just a quick mention, true believers.

D23 the festival is going on right now, where it was said that an official GF graphic novel was announced. ATM, no other details were mentioned, but if so, except a follow up soon!

NR1

Just a quick mention, true believers.

D23 the festival is going on right now, where it was said that an official GF graphic novel was announced. ATM, no other details were mentioned, but if so, except a follow up soon!

I would rather hear news of a DVD/Blu-ray release of the series than any new content in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom