• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Man, I respect that Alex finished it, but yeah I do feel a little rushed out of the door with others.

In the end it was a non-ideal, but fair, ending that I appreciate greatly over if it continued for 3 more seasons and wore itself out like too many other promising shows turn shit.

Psxphile

This reminds me of a similar screenshot from an episode in another animated series that wrapped up a summer trip full of new friends and special memories...

1285717.jpg
1284883.jpg

image.php

Gee I wonder why

Portman

Apparently Gary Marsh is the president and Chief Creative Officer of Disney Channels Worldwide.

Ah, I feel dumb for not researching who he was. Guess I should've done a bit of searching before I asked the group. Hmm I wonder if it is worth sending a letter in? I'd be willing to do it just for the possibility of getting the entire show released.

Hamlet

Variety - ‘Gravity Falls’ Series Finale Sets All-Time Disney XD Ratings Records
Last week’s series finale of the boundary-pushing animated series “Gravity Falls” has become Disney XD’s most-watched telecast ever.

The 40th and final episode of the show that told the coming-of-age adventures of 12-year-old twins Mabel and Dipper Pines averaged 2.9 million viewers, according to Nielsen’s “live plus-3” estimates. It also established all-time network highs in kids 6-14 (1.5 million/4.1 rating) and boys 6-14 (909,000/5.0 rating).

And it’s the No. 1 regular series telecast on record across kids 6011 (1.0 million/4.4 rating), boys 6-11 (642,000/5.3 rating), kids 2-11 (1.3 million/3.4 rating) and boys 2-11 (797,000/4.0 rating). In all, “Gravity Falls” accounts for Disney XD’s top nine regular animated-series telecasts of all time in kids 6-11 and the top seven in boys 6-11.
Pretty impressive stuff

Bluth54

Glad to see the ratings are so high. Hopefully if Alex Hirsch someday decides he wants to do more Gravity Falls the high ratings it help get it done.

ronito

I must be that thought the finale was somewhat saccharine. It just felt like they were like "Quick! Finish it off!"

I enjoyed it but it just seemed off to me.

So, apparently, Disney is going to re-release the "Between the Pjnes" special, labeling it a post-finale edition with added info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esP6_YUvT5c

The messed up thing is that Hirsch claims that this is the first he's hearing of it.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/710532754463522816
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/710533392954032128

So, what says you, remnants of GF-GAF? Elaborate hoax or Disney flexing its muscle, showing it can mess with the series without Hirsch (Ala Season 4 of Boondocks)?

Psxphile

Disney releases hi-definition page samples from the upcoming Journal 3 replica.

Disney Press has released several internal pages from the upcoming Gravity Falls Journal 3 replica book being released on July 26, 2016 (available for pre-order). While we previously shared a sneak peek and additional details about the upcoming book, this is the first time we’re seeing pages directly from the source, including some that haven’t been seen until now.

Since we released the previous information, however, we have learned that the book page count has increased from 256 pages up to a total of 288. As creator Alex Hirsch mentioned at New York Comic-Con, the televised version of ‘Journal 3’ is just a ‘shorthand’ version — every page seen on the episode is re-created in the real-life journal, only it is full of much more detail and information. According to Hirsch, the book also goes deep into the ‘Gravity Falls’ mythos in regards to its founders as well as Dimension 52.

Imgur mirror of preview pages

More at the link.

Bluth54

Has anyone else here read the comic Lumberjanes? I finished reading the first volume of the graphic novel and it reminds me a lot of Gravity Falls. It follows the story of 5 girls at a scout camp who encounter a bunch of strange mysteries and supernatural things. The humor of some of the girls reminds me of Mable. I would highly recommend fans of Gravity Falls check it out.

Psxphile

Hashtag is: CIPHERHUNT

Message in the image decoded reads:

THE URBAN LEGEND HAS COME TRUE
CIPHER'S STATUE'S CALLING YOU
THE SECRET MAP IS IN YOUR HAND
TO TRACE THE CLUES ACROSS THE LAND

Second message decoded:

DON'T FORGET IT'S ALL FOR PLEASURE - THE
HUNT ITSELF'S THE REAL TREASURE - BUT A
PRIZE AWAITS THE FIRST ONE THERE - BE SAFE,
BE SMART, AND OF COURSE BEWARE

Neat.

Here's what I've gathered
Numbers
w/ A1Z26 > ATBASH > Caesar-3
PINES

First Message
w/ Caesar-3
THE URBAN LEGEND HAS COME TRUE CIPHER’S STATUE’S CALLING YOU. THE SECRET MAP IS IN YOUR HAND TO TRACE THE CLUES ACROSS THE LAND

Second Message
w/ Caesar-3
DON’T FORGET IT’S ALL FOR PLEASURE. THE HUNT ITSELF’S THE REAL TREASURE BUT A PRIZE AWAITS THE FIRST ONE THERE. BE SAFE, BE SMART, AND OF COURSE BEWARE

And the red letters spell
RUSSIA

Dunno what it could mean though

Edit: A bit late on some stuff

Psxphile

If it's something that was placed there manually, someone's going to have to go there and fish it out. Street view won't cut it. Can we even be sure it's still there? Alex actually visited Russia back in April, apparently. Anyway, at this moment it's night over there so we're going to have to wait several hours before someone can check it out (already some volunteers on tumblr).

First clue has been found

Finally the hunt can begin
So switch your Rubles out for Yen
Turn left when you're at the shrine's door
When you reach the statue turn left once more
In the leftmost corner in the back
Is the info that you lack
A sword and a crescent mark the clue
Cipher's statue's calling you

The_Kid

Hmm... The replica journal 3 releases on 7/26. (Limited to 10000 last I heard). They said the revelation of Dipper's real name is the big secret within, but what if it's relating to this instead?

Only 10,000 copies? That thing has been on Amazon preorder forever. It's even half price now. I doubt such a small limit exists.

Psxphile

It's been over an hour now, but Japanese GF fans found the next clue:

which led to a shriner's temple in Atlanta, GA
in the dead of night some peeps nearby popped up over there and periscoped their find:
Periscope link
imgur album

What they found was a faded, Lost poster of Waddles (with a phone number):

It reads:
LOST

[unintelligible picture, probably of waddles]

NAME: Waddles

SEX: ??? [literally questionmarks on the paper]

BREED: Pig

WEIGHT: 15 lbs

ADDITIONAL INFO: Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink Oink

dfurvv iurp wkh vwrqhv ri wkh vsulqjv brx'oo ilqg vrph shfxoldu wklqjv wlhg wr d urrw lv d orqh slqn nhb glj wr Ilqg zkdw zdlwv iru wkhh

IF FOUND CALL 1(323)283-8650

I've found Waddles! 1(323)283-8650 [this is repeated on each of the tear-off bits on the bottom]

When you call the number you get this message, but backwards: Vocaroo

Which seems to point to Ochre Court in Newport, Rhode Island as the location of the next clue, which is hidden behind a hanging portrait of a nun. EDIT: however the poster also contained a clue in need of translating:

I don't know what's happening now. Ochre Point is closed until morning so that's a dead end for now. Could there really be two clues to the same location? Will we need to find both to make sense of either? Exciting!

Portman

Only 10,000 copies? That thing has been on Amazon preorder forever. It's even half price now. I doubt such a small limit exists.

Yeah that was my thought when seeing that. I started to go grab a spare copy for a friend thinking if it was limited it would be hard to find but then I saw that they're still listed and with them shipping next week I figured it would be sold out if it was that limited. Curious to know for sure though since it would make it a neat collectible to go with the book and 2 DVDs I have.

Psxphile

Apparetly the search was stalled because the clue behind the painting at Ochre Court was missing, so Alex said he would tweet a new clue. And he did:

A MAN WHOSE FIRST NAME IS HIS LAST
A STATUE HONORING HIS PAST
RIGHT BEHIND HIM, BY THE SIGN OF HIS PARK
A GOLDEN HEAD SHOWS LIGHT IN THE DARK

People are saying it's Griffith Park in L.A., SoCal... and specifically this statue:

EDIT: someone found it, guess we gotta wait on the clue

twitter.com/ramblewheels/status/756230254553817088

EDIT: update, pieces of paper found within the stan head, have to use included blacklight pen to reveal the clue

50+50 THAT'S THE CITY
FROM ONE ANGLE IT'S QUITE PRETTY

YOU'LL FIND A BOW TIE AND ONE EYE
AT HIS HEAD IS A RECTANGLE
STONES BY STAIRS AT ON THE TOP RIGHT ANGLE

THE STONE WITH THE UV SWIRL CAN GLOW
FIND THE BLACK POUCH THAT'S BELOW

Next stop is Century City in L.A.

Also Jason Ritter and Ariel Hirsch have joined the hunt.

Jason's Periscope
Ariel's Periscope

EDIT: looks like they found a flashdrive

EDIT: flashdrive contained a sound file
https://soundcloud.com/user-187491043/nextclue

Which points to CalArts. The clue is actually painted on the building somewhere. Only students are allowed on campus during session, so only someone already in the building can get a shot of it. And they did, pretty quickly too:

source

The code translates to coordinates, which points to Piedmont Park in Atlanta. Several people are en-route.

EDIT: Ariel provides a hint
EDIT: You know they're having a hard time of it if Alex has to draw them a map.

Psxphile

Ah, let's see what's been happening since I lost my internet connection:

Eventually one of the searchers found a box thanks to Alex's map, inside was a key and a cryptex (opens with PINES) which contained this:

Points to a P.O. Box in a post office located at North Vermont Ave. Now the lady who found it has to drive over to L.A. tomorrow (today, as of this posting) morning to unlock the box. Should be open at 9AM PST, and there will probably be locals there to meet her when she arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom