• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest Original Game Soundtracks of all Time

Marvel14

Banned
I'll give it a.couple.more.weeks and then launch the voting thread. Will encourage folk to post their top.piece of music for each soundtrack nominated and why it deserves a gaffers vote.

Melchiah

Disclaimer: I'm only listing soundtracks I can listen to outside of playing. Most of them don't work that well by themselves, and can actually be quite annoying to listen to, like Final Fantasy soundtracks. And while something like WipEout HD/Fury soundtrack works well within the game (better than the one in the Omega Collection), it really isn't the kind of music I care to listen.

Silent Hill 1-4
Bloodborne
The Last of Us
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Little Nightmares
Let It Die (the ambient tracks by Akira Yamaoka, not the Japanese band tracks that sound like they came from US)
Journey
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Order: 1886
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

The majority of the above would fall into dark ambient genre.

Josemayuste

Imagine from a second that you are a space explorer, alone in the dark, and frightful immensity and coldness of outer space, where the sound can't travel properly, then you try to look for radio signals in search of some form of life, and then this happens:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Page 3 and not a single person has brought up Ar Tonelico 2

Sadly Gust haven't topped this since they released this masterpiece of a game. Its certainly something that would hit no where near as hard without how amazing its OST was.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
An OST that probably nobody would mention, but is very dear to me, is this:

The composition here is something few would dare imagine making for such a humble piece of hardware. Luckily, by that time the Japanese had realized that game music could be much more than bleeps and bloops, and Kenji Ito did a true miracle with the very first Mana game. This OST is legendary to me, and I believe it inspired game musicians to do better with the GB hardware.

Megaman X has a ridiculously good soundtrack. The trifecta of Spark Mandrill, Storm Eagle and Armored Armadillo is top-tier video game rock, with Armadillo in particular having some of the strongest composition ever heard on the SNES.

Megaman 2 and 3, hard to choose one over the other. 2 is a legend, with Dr. Wily Stage 1 being possibly the best NES track ever written, but 3 is just as consistent and really brings the NES a step further.

Coming to Castlevania, we have CV3 that in its Japanese version has without a doubt the most amazing music ever heard on the hardware. Then you have Dracula X on the PC-Engine, with its godly early-90s CD rock. Lastly, of course, there's Symphony of the Night, a sumptuous game with an equally sumptuous soundtrack that's just crazy in its quality and variety.

Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 are both outstanding, especially when you consider that they sound completely different than anything else on the SNES and in that generation altogether. I'd say 2 is the strongest, taking the already incredible quality of 1 several steps further and making everything sound more intense and "gamey".

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears. It's sad to admit that Yasunori Mitsuda blew the better part of his load in his early career, but the three games mentioned above all have some of the best music ever heard in games, ever. Chrono Trigger is insane when you think it was Mitsuda's first big work in the field, while Xenogears and Chrono Cross did stuff nobody had dared before, probably not even Uematsu.

Winds (aka Lords) of Thunder. The zenith of rock-metal game music. This soundtrack is as silly as it's brilliant, with its ridiculously exaggerated guitars and synths, but it's an absolute banger.

Nier / Nier Automata. Oh boy. These go a bit beyond words. There's literally nothing impossible anymore for game music since storage space allowed for the use of real instruments, but Nier's music is insane.

No list would be complete without Nobuo Uematsu's FF OSTs, and here it gets a bit hard to choose as there's so many. I'd say it's a toss-up between FF7 and 8, with an edge to 8 because of sheer sound quality, but 7 has so many stellar tracks you can forgive the rougher sound of it. FF6 is a bit less consistent in my opinion, but it does have some killer tracks, and Dancing Mad is easily the most ambitious piece of game music of its generation.

Nintendo deserves a spot here with Super Mario Galaxy. Not only the game is superb, but the soundtrack is unlike anything else Nintendo has done, and it's just fantastic through and through.

There's many other possible mentions, but I'm done for now.

Shifty1897

Both Niers
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Wild Arms
Shadow of the Colossus
Persona 5
Metal Gear Rising
Super Mario World

Scotty W

Gold Member
I can’t vouch for the the rest of this ost, but the way this song changes styles as you move around the bazaar is one of the coolest things in all of gaming.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m seriously disgusted with this forum. How am I the only one to say Kid Icarus Uprising?

The Dark Pitt battle song at 39:01 mark is something else.

Dr. Suchong

It's tough to answer this question. We all have our favorites, and there is often a consensus on soundtracks that have already been quoted endlessly in similar threads.

Should we then choose an obscure soundtrack, privilege nostalgia, new sounds, Gregorian choirs or original Slavic chants?

Well, I choose a bit of originality combined with nostalgia: the soundtrack of Super Aleste. Nobody was going to mention it anyway XD

I would kill for this to be in the Snes classics on Switch.

The thread
Video Games Japan GIF

Megaman X
Rise of the Triad (both)
Metroid Prime
Shadow of the Colosuss
Ocarina of Time
Neir: Automata

And for a soundtrack that isn’t good on its own but is amazing for the game: Cruty Squad

I'd like to nominate the OST from Everybody's Gone To The Rapture composed by Jessica Curry. It has elevated the experience so much for me and it's probably the most moving and emotional music I've listen to in the past few years in a game (played it in early 2021 during the pandemic). It also won the prestigious BAFTA award in 2015 for the Music category.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure, Goldeneye, Starcraft, OOT, DKC, Yoshi's Island and Halo 1. If it "counts", a Smash game is #1, Brawl or Ultimate. Honorable mention...Mario Land II for GameBoy

Edit: I forgot SotN and Turtles in Time...DUH. Too critical to leave out. OK more honorable mentions...Grandia II, Sonic Mania, Dragon's Crown, Snowboard Kids

Last edited:
I've got a pretty obscure one:

Doom - PS1 Port

The PS1 port of Doom was graced with a new ultra-moody ambient score by Aubrey Hodges who also did Doom 64 and the Quake console ports. I actually would let the game run and taped them onto cassette back in the day. Maybe it doesn't sound like much now but it got me into Ambient music and interested in all sorts of "weird" music. The atmosphere was a revelation to me back then.

gow3isben

Witcher
Uncharted
God of War
Mass Effect
Skyrim
Multiple Final Fantasy entries
RDR2
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts

Last edited:

CGNoire