• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GreedFall 2 Announced, Will Launch Next Year on PC and Consoles

Bullet Club

GreedFall 2 Announced, Will Launch Next Year on PC and Consoles​

Today, publisher Nacon and developer Spiders announced GreedFall 2, a sequel to the action RPG released a few years ago. The game is targeting a 2023 launch on PC and consoles.

Jehanne Rousseau, Founder and Director of Spiders development studio, said:

While we were working on Steelrising, our love of the GreedFall universe never faded, and so we are thrilled to be returning to it. In this new chapter, players will explore the old continent with its bigger and more diverse environments. They will meet new companions and new factions, and I hope they will have unforgettable adventures.

Alain Falc, CEO of NACON, added:

We are very excited to reveal GreedFall 2 to everyone, the new game from Spiders. Many fans across the world were begging for this sequel, and we are delighted to be publishing this new game that these fans are sure to love. We also hope it will appeal to new players and all fans of roleplaying games, great stories, action, and fantasy.

According to the press release, GreedFall 2 will be a prequel set three years before the events of the original. Players will be taking the mantle of a Teer Fradee native uprooted from the island and taken by force to the continent of Gacane, when the old world is ravaged by wars and the Malichor plague. The main character will have to use diplomacy, cunning, or combat, as well as help from allies, to end one man's delusions of conquest and regain freedom.

Not much was shared about the mechanics, other than GreedFall 2 will still be an RPG with a focus on story and player choice. Its combat system will be 'more tactical', though.

The original GreedFall has sold over two million units to date, having received a content DLC (The De Vespe Conspiracy) about a year ago.

Source: WCCFTech

Last edited:

stevish

Neo Member
How big is this team now? Surprised they would be working on two games at once.

Loved greedfall so happy to hear it's getting a sequel either way.

anthony2690

Banned
I purchased Greedfall at launch and never even booted it up, let alone played it.

Maybe I should finally give it a go during this dry spell? I am pretty sure it's series X enhanced now too.

What did my fellow neogaf members think of this game?

R6Rider

Gold Member
It was free on PS+ at one point so I played it a bit then, but I never got very far due to playing other games. Need to give it another go sometime.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nice.

The first one has a lot of euro jank but a fun WRPG once you get used to it.

IIRC it's still currently on game pass.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Awesome news. Underrated game, imo. They make better Bioware-ish games than Bioware does.

And the best part is I think this studio is getting better with each release, so I’m definitely looking forward to this one. Bound by Flame was enjoyable, I like Technomancer a lot, and Greedfall has, IMO, been there best one yet.

Moochi

It's like someone mixed the generic personality and storytelling of Dragon Age with Witcher 3's meh combat gameplay but somehow the results are still compelling enough to play.

Chukhopops

Really tried to get into it but the first one was bad in my opinion. It wasn’t the jank but the combat, dialogue and general ugliness of the world.

Filben

Played the first game for a while until I grew tired of the boring world that felt so lifeless and acted only as a serviceable backdrop for things to happen. There were also too many errand quests going back and forth through the same lifeless maps. The combat was fun though and I liked the protagonist.

Mr Hyde

Downloaded the free version of it on PS Plus, but haven't booted it up. I just can't go back to 30 fps anymore, which is crazy because I used to not care about stuff like that in the past.

jaysius

Banned
This is great news. They take more chances on characters, don't mind making some content that Bioware's dull story writers won't touch anymore.

Greedfall 1 is the Dragon Age game we never got.

anthony2690

Banned
Downloaded the free version of it on PS Plus, but haven't booted it up. I just can't go back to 30 fps anymore, which is crazy because I used to not care about stuff like that in the past.
Doesn't it have a free upgrade/update?

Last edited:

tusharngf

I have spent around 20 odd hours. Game needs more polishing. I hope they bring some improvements in the sequel.

Labadal

How big is this team now? Surprised they would be working on two games at once.

Loved greedfall so happy to hear it's getting a sequel either way.
I don't know the size of the team, but Steelrising is a September 2022 game, and Greedfall 2 is a 2024 game. I would assume that the things their team is doing is not overlapping too much.

Fbh

Nice.
Hopefully they've been given a higher budget. First one was decent and came really close to scratching that Bioware style RPG itch but it still had a ton of jank and many areas where you could feel the lower budget.

Mossybrew

Played the first game for a while until I grew tired of the boring world that felt so lifeless and acted only as a serviceable backdrop for things to happen. There were also too many errand quests going back and forth through the same lifeless maps. The combat was fun though and I liked the protagonist.

Yeah pretty much how I felt. The first town that you start in, is particularly bad, so much running back and forth busywork. I eventually lost interest before I finished, but if they can build on the first game and make something more compelling I'll definitely take a look.

It's a shame I couldn't get past the intro. It was trash compared to elden ring it was hard to play. Seemed to have potential so maybe this will be better

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Here's the trailer:

Uprooted from the island of your birth, find your freedom by exploring the old continent and forging your destiny through alliances, scheming, and battle. It's up to you to end one man's ambitions of conquest, which could spell the end for the continent and your island.

Roberts

Spiders is a good bunch. Liked all their games despite massive amount of jank. Nothing against hub-based world of the first one, but the second one might as well be open world.

First was garbage. Refunded after the first 2 hours. These devs always get too ambitious and never fail to deliver which makes the game look worse. Pretty much what Pyrana Bytes does these days. Lower your scope of the games and increase its quality overall instead of trying to do so much stuff and none good. Jack of all trades master of none except jank. Pass.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I liked the first one for a day or so, but I dropped it because it overstayed its welcome. If it was 20 hours or so it would have been better.

FrozenFlame

Weird, I thought they were making a steampunk rpg?
Edit: Steelrising. Guess they have a big enough team for two games.

Last edited:

isual

this was a sleeper hit for me. it reminded me of how the old dragon age games were; 1 and 2 specifically. i enjoyed the dialogue and combat mechanics for greedfall 1.

Crzy1

Bought the original for $10 on PS5, well worth it. It was junky, but far from broken and had an interesting enough story. I like Spiders games, but usually only purchase them after they've been discounted a bit. Looking forward to this one, depending on the calendar, it might even be a day one buy for me.

It was free on PS+ at one point so I played it a bit then, but I never got very far due to playing other games. Need to give it another go sometime.
I never got very far due to fact that they refused to allow the PS5 version on PS Plus, and I was done with 30 fps by that time. I might have loved the game and bought the sequel on day one, but they had to be greedy (ironically enough) so they lost a sale and possibly an ongoing fan of an entire franchise.

They lost a 60 dollar sale, because they decided to hold frame rate and resolution ransom behind a 10 dollar paywall. Very poor choice.

I finished Greedfall and it was an average game. My problems with it were it started strong but as you move to the island it becomes a slog as the game progresses and the combat/story don't make up for it. I had to force myself to finish it unfortunately. My main problem with the story is they browbeat the noble savage concept into the player and the factions/world aren't compelling. It's too bad because I enjoyed Mars Wars Logs and think Spiders isn't a bad developer but Greedfall was not their best work.

Top Bottom