• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greedfall Review Thread

Mista

Banned
GreedFall-Interview-01-Header-2060x1159.jpg

RPG Site: 8/10
Greedfall is blemished but imaginative and choice-filled gem that harkens back to some of our favorite western RPGs.

DualShockers: 6.5/10
GreedFall takes place in an amazing and intriguing world but fails to be interesting on the gameplay front.

Playstation Universe: 8/10
GreedFall stands as Spiders' most successful game to day, bar none. Despite its issues, nothing gets in the way of this game's ambition and heart. Anyone looking for a standout, deep action-RPG will find it in GreedFall. With its different narrative paths and various ways to build your character, there are so many reasons to play through multiple times.

Rectify Gaming: 8.2/10
Despite some rough edges and a modest budget, Greedfall delivers a blockbuster RPG experience.

Our own @Karak from ACG: Buy

Push Square: 7/10
GreedFall is Spiders' best game by some distance, and it's impressive how far the developer has come in just a few short years. It successfully scratches that BioWare itch with an intriguing world, likeable characters, and rock solid gameplay. However, aside from its unique setting, nothing about GreedFall truly stands out.

Windows Central: 4/5
GreedFall delivers an experience that is as satisfying as it is ambitious, although it does falter in some notable ways.

Games Beat: Unscored
I’m invested enough in the way Greedfall’s fantasy world doesn’t shy away from brushing up against real history, its well-paced writing, and endearing characters to happily continue trucking through it, despite some of its technical shortcomings.

Game Watcher: 8/10
Greedfall, even with its flaws, is a game that’s very easy to sink time into without regret.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
I'm stoked its reviewing so well!! I dont have time to watch vids atm, any word on length of the game?

I'm absolutely getting this. I really enjoyed The Technomancer, the game was far from perfect but it had soul and an interesting setting.

Fbh

Have been looking forward to this even since I randomly saw a trailer some months ago.

Due to some circumstances I'm not able to spend $60 on games right now. But I'm getting this as soon as I can afford it

Last edited:

The Shepard

I've been interested in this game ever since I got an video ad for it a few weeks ago so will be keeping an eye on people's opinions which may make me bite. Got way to many games in my backlog atm to get it day one.

Ajvy

Neo Member
My friend is working on the review, and he said that the game is pretty good. Says a lot coming from him, he played hundreds of games.

sublimit

Banned
I will probably get it around November. I decided to get it some time ago after watching the official gameplay footage and the last launch trailer. I would have got it regardless of its reviews since i don't care about them personally (no offense to any GAF reviewer).

As expected its "flaws" are due to its relatively limited budget and the ambition of the developer more than anything else.I hope it sells well enough to justify a sequel with a bigger budget. I need more games with a similar setting and atmosphere.
Like i said in another thread recently:

HotPocket69

Banned
Have been looking forward to this even since I randomly saw a trailer some months ago.

Due to some circumstances I'm not spending able to spend $60 on games right now. But I'm getting this as soon as I can afford it

It’s $50

Tenaciousmo

Started it this morning, 2 maybe 3 hours in, controls still feel a bit foreign but the starting town is nice, quite open ended feel to the quests that i like. thinking of starting again to up the difficulty from normal tho feels too easy at normal.

EDIT: So you can change difficulty as you go. 6h in, still having fun.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
How do people compare it to say the OG Mass Effect trilogy? I'm dying for a similar RPG with a great narrative and character choices I can really get emotionally invested in. Cheers

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I liked Technomancer. It kept me engaged and was more enjoyable that the cookie cutter AAA bullshit I still play.

Gonna give this one a go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm around level 11, game feels like the Dragon Age formula with a NWN level of polish.

It fills a void. And by void, I mean a gaming genre niche, not the part of my heart crying out for justice for all native people unjustly treated by rampant colonialism.

Ivellios

I never heard of this game before, but from the reviews the story and writing seems its strong point, i will definetely keep an eye on it, even if gameplay may not that good

HotPocket69

Banned
The game really does have an early 2000s BioWare feel to it. And I mean that in the best way possible.

The writing is great for one. The exploration is extremely satisfying. Skill choices actually mean something.

Liking it a bunch so far.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
The game really does have an early 2000s BioWare feel to it. And I mean that in the best way possible.

The writing is great for one. The exploration is extremely satisfying. Skill choices actually mean something.

Liking it a bunch so far.

How's the story/character choices? Classic Bioware?

Last edited:
Been playing this for a couple days now. Shame we don't have an OT for it. It's a pretty solid RPG even despite having its fair share of flaws.

lDs9JL0.jpg

qHfKEzH.jpg

pARj4aS.jpg

Last edited:

Dunki

How is PC performance? This sounds like a game for me, but will I enjoy this with rx580 and ryzen 5 2600?
Performance with newest Nvidia patches is great with a 1080. But make sure your drivers are uptodate. Before it was a fucking mess^^

As for the game. I like the world, I like the characters, the Quests, Story etc. But I fucking hate the battles, OMG Not only must you spend Skill points to even be able to dodge roll but somehow the auto lock function does not work at all as meele character. I died on extreme so many times because of the dodging was not working. With level 12 it seems it is actually much easier to play it Batman style which means parry all the time and barely attack yourself.

Also is it me or are my companions REALLY REALLY weak. They now basically die in one hit and somehow I can not give them skills etc. Or i missed this feature. Also unlock lockpicking level 1-3 as fast as possible or else you will have a ton of chests you will not be able to open.

But yeah everything except the battle sytem is great^^

McCheese

Picked this up on a whim, it's pretty good and scratching that bioware itch in a lot of ways.

Voice acting is solid, and graphics punch above their budget. Gameplay has some eurojank but considerbly less than previous Spiders titles, has quite a few deep and interesting systems to sink your teeth into, crafting and clothing customisation is fun.

Would recommend it, even at full price.

Last edited:

dlbeast

Been a joy to play. Very relaxing to play on a headset. Battle system takes some getting used to. Graphics are nice at times. My only complaint is so much walking from place to place, with too much emptiness. I wonder how intentional it was, in order to have the relaxing feel between hardcore dialogue sessions?
Overall an 8 of 10 from me.

Life

Been a joy to play. Very relaxing to play on a headset. Battle system takes some getting used to. Graphics are nice at times. My only complaint is so much walking from place to place, with too much emptiness. I wonder how intentional it was, in order to have the relaxing feel between hardcore dialogue sessions?
Overall an 8 of 10 from me.

Yeah I'm about to quit the game because of this. I couldn't wait to get out of the main city and then start exploring outside. Then I get introduced to this weird fast/travel + exploration system which kept killing the pace. The mission markers are deceptive too. I wasted an hour trying to get to proceed with the story a bit - and hardly got anywhere besides killing beasts on extreme. Way too much walking around senselessly it seems.

Wish it just had a big map to explore instead of the on and off fast travel.

dlbeast

Yeah I'm about to quit the game because of this. I couldn't wait to get out of the main city and then start exploring outside. Then I get introduced to this weird fast/travel + exploration system which kept killing the pace. The mission markers are deceptive too. I wasted an hour trying to get to proceed with the story a bit - and hardly got anywhere besides killing beasts on extreme. Way too much walking around senselessly it seems.

Wish it just had a big map to explore instead of the on and off fast travel.
On point. It is a weird fast travel system for sure. I find I get less annoyed when I play the game no longer than 2-hour sessions. This enables me to enjoy the relaxation of it. The map system is a bit odd too, very easy to go in circles, or go after all the "?" marks, and end up sidetracked. The part I think u were at is........go to Native Leader 1, work towards an alliance.....go back to the city, get a pass for the native to enter city, go back to Native leader, leave and go to Native leader 2, so that free trade can happen. Meanwhile, all you are thinking about is staying on course with the mission you wanted to begin with. Of course, I just articulated this about as lazy as one can, devoid of any context, but I think you know exactly what I am talking about. I hope you try smaller doses instead of quitting the game. Let me know what you end up doing my friend.

Top Bottom