• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID Legends - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Digital Foundry Tech Review

Arioco

- PS5 resolution is dynamic 1296p-2160p. Series X is 1008p-2160p. But both are operating close to or at 4K most of the time, with Series X having actually having a slight resolution advantage. Series S is 936p-1440p.

- Setting seem to be the same across all three consoles, except for the cube maps, which operate at 60 fps on PS5 and Series X and 30 fps on Series S.

- Performance is locked 60 fps on all 3 machines during gameplay. There are some dips during replays, with Series S struggling a bit more.

- There's a 120 fps mode on PS5 and Series X (not on Series S). In this case rez drops to dynamic 1440p and settings take a hit. Performance is pretty solid.

Last edited:
iheartradio music awards GIF by iHeartRadio

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

- Both PS5 | SX feature 60hz and 120hz mode. Series S only has 60hz mode.
- But there is no toggle for that in-game, you have to change system level settings.
- If you want to play at 60hz, you need to manually set your console to 60hz from display settings.
- If your system is set to 120hz and PS5 set to prefer performance mode, it will default to 120hz with no way to change the choice in-game.

- 60hz mode:
- PS5 scales from: 1296p to 2160p
- SX scales from: 1008p to 2160p.
- However SX enjoys higher dynamic resolution on average.

- Series S: 936p to 1440p.
- Blurrier than the other two but still very temporally stable.
- Cube map reflections update at 30 FPS on SS compared to 60 on PS5/SX.

- Game play is locked to 60 FPS on all in game play even during 22 car modes with stress weather.
- SX and PS5 drop a few frames here and there during replays.
- Series S drops more frames during replays compared to the above.

- Last gen machines like One X drop more frames during game play and have big drops during replays.

- 120hz mode:
- You need to have system set to 120hz to play in this mode
- Resolution drops to 1440p with dynamic scaling below that.
- Cube map reflection refresh at lower rate.
- Minor drops but these resolve quick during game play
- Replays drop more frames, can drop to 60hz but no drops like this during game play

Last edited:

M.W.

PC version is well optimized too. Ultra everything at 1440p and still get over 100 fps. Game is fucking crack. DF done good covering this.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Just wanted to pop in to say that this is a really fun game. It looks great, and they just dont make arcade racers like this like they used to. In a lot of ways, it takes me back to the glory days of the great xbox 360 arcade racers, like the original grid, project gotham, blur, split second, and ridge racer. Its the total opposite of gran turismo, and its more focused then forza horizon. Its 40 bones on xbox now, definitely worth your cash if you miss the hey days of arcade racing games

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Summary:

- But there is no toggle for that in-game, you have to change system level settings.
- If you want to play at 60hz, you need to manually set your console to 60hz from display settings.
- If your system is set to 120hz and PS5 set to prefer performance mode, it will default to 120hz with no way to change the choice in-game.

- 60hz mode:

- Series S: 936p to 1440p.
- Blurrier than the other two but still very temporally stable.
- Cube map reflections update at 30 FPS on SS compared to 60 on PS5/SX.

- Game play is locked to 60 FPS on all in game play even during 22 car modes with stress weather.
- SX and PS5 drop a few frames here and there during replays.
- Series S drops more frames during replays compared to the above.

- Last gen machines like One X drop more frames during game play and have big drops during replays.

- 120hz mode:
- You need to have system set to 120hz to play in this mode
- Resolution drops to 1440p with dynamic scaling below that.
- Cube map reflection refresh at lower rate.
- Minor drops but these resolve quick during game play
- Replays drop more frames, can drop to 60hz but no drops like this during game play

But couldn't tell us what this resolution was. So we can all say that this was not worth mentioning.

adamsapple

So on average XsX has slightly higher res but it has a lower floor? How the heck does that work?

A few lower recorded numbers = / = average.

In the video he says the lower numbers come up at camera cuts.

So, probably a few of the camera cuts drop SX to a lower number than PS5 for a few frames before it resolves to either the same or slightly higher DRS like mentioned in the video.

That's the beauty of DRS, it changes rapidly to make sure the frame rate doesn't buckle during camera cuts and then it stabilizes itself.

But couldn't tell us what this resolution was. So we can all say that this was not worth mentioning.

He gives a general average assessment, you would probably need an excel sheet to record every single frame if it changes that dynamically.

Last edited:
A few lower recorded numbers = / = average.

In the video he says the lower numbers come up at camera cuts.

So, probably a few of the camera cuts drop SX to a lower number than PS5 for a few frames before it resolves to either the same or slightly higher DRS like mentioned in the video.

That's the beauty of DRS, it changes rapidly to make sure the frame rate doesn't buckle during camera cuts and then it stabilizes itself.
Right but if those cuts resolve lower than the PS5 in the same scenario you would think that would be the case in other instances as well. Im interested to see what is causing the res drops to maintain performance and what the difference between the two are.

ZywyPL

Banned

I hate when games do that.

adamsapple

Right but if those cuts resolve lower than the PS5 in the same scenario you would think that would be the case in other instances as well. Im interested to see what is causing the res drops to maintain performance and what the difference between the two are.

He specifically says the lower bounds are recorded during camera cuts, but during actual game play while driving both consoles are almost always close to 4K.

So we can assume that during game play both are close to 2160p with SX probably a little closer, but whenever there's a camera cut change (most likely during replays, or whenever race starts or ends, the SX can potentially drop more pixels for a frame or two). Either case would probably be near impossible to notice with the naked eye.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

This new DF guy always covers the most forgettable games. Poor soul.
The funny thing is that not always those "most forgettable games" are bad games but the opposite. This GRid Leyends is case. Very fun game, with a pretty good finish. Arcade lovers have a fairly enjoyable and well-made game.
"the excellent Dirt 5"

Imma stop you right there.
I support that statement. Dirt 5 is an excellent arcade racing game. A lot of merit to be a launch game and come out on 10 platforms.

PS. Then, luckyLY DF has analyzed the game in XSX after the last patch. Before this last patch the game had a desperate bug that went from 60fps to 30fps suddenly during the gameplay and the replays did not work, (the cars were stopped and your car was left behind during the replay). Now it is fortunately something else.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The funny thing is that not always those "most forgettable games" are bad games but the opposite. This GRid Leyends is case. Very fun game, with a pretty good finish. Arcade lovers have a fairly enjoyable and well-made game.

Only "mostly positive" on Steam (76%). I might pick it up once the price drops down to few EUR on CD Keys. Codemasters lost their touch long time ago.

I support that statement. Dirt 5 is an excellent arcade racing game. A lot of merit to be a launch game and come out on 10 platforms.

Mixed on Steam (59%). In other words: trash. I got it on release, played for 2.4 hours and never touched again.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So on average XsX has slightly higher res but it has a lower floor? How the heck does that work?
Because the bottom of SX resolution is between camera changes ( I presume flicking between camera views it must go lower on SX for a split second) in very intense scenes not typical of gameplay. Where SX has a higher rez is in gameplay so its higher rez most of the time.

Neo_game

If the previous gen X targets 1080P 60fps and drops on demanding scenes then I am not sure how SX and PS5 can do close to 4K ? it would be more like 1440P.

BigLee74

As I’ve said before, dynamic res makes these direct comparisons pretty pointless. They’ll all look similar, they’ll all perform similar.

But I’m all for it to maintain frame rate.

PS. Dirt 5 was just boring, turgid racing. It was very disappointing compared to Dirt 2 and 3 (which I loved).

adamsapple

If the previous gen X targets 1080P 60fps and drops on demanding scenes then I am not sure how SX and PS5 can do close to 4K ? it would be more like 1440P.

This is a good example of gen-on-gen improvements in CPU/GPU architecture and good optimization on the developers part.

Last gen barely manages 1080p/60 with drops and next gen is mostly 2160p with no drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darsxx82

This is a good example of gen-on-gen improvements in CPU/GPU architecture and good optimization on the developers part.

Last gen barely manages 1080p/60 with drops and next gen is mostly 2160p with no drops.
In this case I think that part is also the result of a significant lack of optimization time in XBO X.... It would be interesting to see how it is on PRO, PS4 and XBO.Me I fear the worst.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sounds like it should mostly come down to your controller preference if you have both machines. Or just play on PC bay bay! ;)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Summary:

- 60hz mode:
Fucking finally so you are saying that MS fixed their power inequality between dev kit and retail unit. Wow only two years, same time frame as to when ONE X issues got ironed out.

Last edited:

adamsapple

So PS5 has ~60% higher resolution at lower bounds, but XSX has 'slightly higher resolution across gameplay'? That must be a first. Why not give precise figures for the supposed slight resolution edge of XSX and provide side by side pictures?

The ~60% you're deriving is only for the first few frames after a camera cut.

During the rest of the stretch when they're both not cutting cameras every frame, SX has a slight advantage in DRS.

It's pretty clearly stated in the video, not sure why some of you guys are having a hard time digesting it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom