• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Guardians Demon Purge - 2D Metroidvania starring characters from Gal Gun series - releasing 02/23/23

Power Pro

I feel like one of the few people in the world who unironicially enjoy the Gal*Gun games. They're meant to be funny, and I find them silly and pretty fun light gun games.

But that's not the point of this topic. The Gal*Gun series is developed by Inti Creates, who make a fair number of other great 2D action games, such as the Azure Striker Gunvolt series, and includes developers who worked on the Mega Man Zero series of games on the GBA.

I just discovered this myself by seeing the trailer on my feed on Youtube, so I was actually pretty excited about this, and to see it comes out so soon. I've loved what I've played of their other 2D games, especially Mighty Gunvolt Burst (also known as Gal Gunvolt Burst on PS4), which might be one of the best Mega Man style games I've played in a long time. Plus it's using some of the best "waifus" of the Gal*Gun series as the protagonists.

Loving the 2D art in the trailer, very close to a good looking Castlevania games. Based on their previous works, I'm hoping the controls are just as tight, because it looks fast and fluid. I love the switching between 2 characters. Reminds me of Castlevania Portrait of Ruin.

Power Pro

I thought it was an original setting with new characters /shrug.
I see pixel art and metroidvania, that's all the excuse I need to be excited over it. Not some two-bit waifu.
MXj7FDg.jpg

Shinobu and Maya were the main love interest choices in Gal*Gun Double Peace, but even in that game they were demon hunters, but they often ended up just damsels in distress for the player character.

As a fan whose familiar with them, it's cool to see them get their own action game as demon hunters finally. Shinobu even pulled out her submachine gun at times in that game, so it's cool to see she still has it, haha.

YukiOnna

Oh these were the Gal Gun characters? I thought they were entirely original. That's neat that they brought them into for a different genre.
I'm here for both.

Tiamat2san

Hey, that game looks cool!
I will play it for sure.
I played one galgun game, it wasn’t for me.
But this seems to be a good metroidvania, it’s all i ask for.

Last edited:

nkarafo

928902_3fhu.jpg

That's by design and it's by the book. Backgrounds layers are darker and/or slightly desaturated with no bright highlights, so the important foreground stuff pops and everything is readable.
Nah, i played a lot of 2D sprite games in my life.

This one just looks meh.

I've loved what I've played of their other 2D games, especially Mighty Gunvolt Burst (also known as Gal Gunvolt Burst on PS4), which might be one of the best Mega Man style games I've played in a long time. Plus it's using some of the best "waifus" of the Gal*Gun series as the protagonists.

I think it's on PS Plus Extra as well, so for anyone reading this who likes Mega Man type games, you might consider checking it out.

Fuz

Banned
Looks quite good, but by god, am I fucking tired of this shitty, embarassing waifu culture.

anthony2690

Banned
Day one, this looks incredible.

Really funny it's based on galgun though, played the Xbox 360 Japanese demo forever ago and through it was really strange/bad haha.

I'm thinking of pre-ordering this game on Play Asia.

Does anyone know if Play Asia charges you immediately or do they wait until the game is available?

I'm hoping they would charge immediately but I wanted to ask here first.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Has any Steam bro tried out the demo already? Would love to read some impressions.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey finally tried it myself.

It's fun and challenging, which is a plus. The animations are nice and the game plays very nicely. Also, the girls are cute.

Some things I didn't like: the girls won't ever shut up, every button press is onegai this or onegai that. And it didn't get better when I switched voices to english. :goog_relieved:
It also had some stutter on the Deck, hope that's fixed for the final release.

Anyway, just some minor complains, had fun with the demo so I'll probably be getting it down the line.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The game IMO is very fun. It's a stage based Castlevania. The girls do indeed talk too much. The character swap is a bit slow and doesn't keep things fluid. The Reload Mechanic being tied to pressing down twice I feel is awful. If you play solo and one of the twins dies I think it takes you to the last checkpoint and you have to revive them once you catch up to where the one twin died.

The super move is slow and is more prone to miss it's mark and requires a bit of strategy to use.

You kinda have to use both characters as each of the girls has different subweapons for different attacks or buffs and can deal with different enemy types better.

Looking forward to playing it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This has been on my Steam wishlist for a while, will dive into the demo later to see how it holds up.

cireza

Banned
I think I watch some videos and it's a Metroidvania according to them. The demo is just probably one section that's closed off.
It seems to me that it is a spiritual successor to Curse of the Moon games.

Edit : it does seem that it is a Metroidvania. Super disappointed :( Bland level-design, here we gooooo... :/

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not sure. Based on the demo it seems you have sections that are separated into different stages and you get to select them. Maybe in the full game it is a bite size Metroidvania instead of having a fully explorable castle.

After each boss you supposedly get new subweapons for not only do ways to do damage but also to traverse the stages and open up new paths. I expect each stage to have some degree of replayability.

Either way the demo served it's purpose and I'll be buying this Day 0.

Edit: Yeah folks this is Classicvania. The stages just have branching paths.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Game's out, and it's getting mixed reviews because people seem to think it's a metroidvania, while it's not.

TintoConCasera

Wasn’t the game marketed as a Metroidvania? Or did the games media completely pull that out of their ass?
Not as far as I'm aware of. There was a bit of confusion around that and I guess the people that expected it to be have been disappointed.

Which is their fault. There was a demo for the game and it made clear that the game was linear with some branching paths.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think the sprite style and how the game starts gave people the idea it was a Metroidvania but once you start playing and you see the UI it becomes very clear it's a Classicvania game.

Pejo

Man I don't know how I missed this thread originally. Game art looks fantastic and it looks hard. Boy do I enjoy the fact that there's a little dude subweapon that destroys floor spikes. Fuck floor spikes!

Anyways, I'll pick this up tomorrow to try it out over the weekend. I would have never put 2 +2 together for this, that it was the Gal*Gun girls, but it looks right up my alley.

It offers a decent challenge, some stuff feels clunky and unrefined but it already grew on me! The boss patterns are classic Inti Creates caliber

Top Bottom