• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 will require online connection to prevent cheating (same at GT:S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ine-connection-on-ps5-ps4-to-prevent-cheating

Gran Turismo 7 will require an Internet connection. As previously reported, you’ll need to have your console online in order to enjoy single player modes like the campaign and GT Café, as well as features like the livery editor. While it’s not yet clear which modes will be available offline, predecessor GT Sport limited gameplay to just the Arcade mode, which is obviously a fraction of the overall experience.

Asked directly about the reasoning behind this decision, series creator Kazunori Yamauchi explained that it’s to prevent cheating. He insinuated that the only way to ensure save files aren’t hacked or edited is by storing them on Polyphony Digital’s servers, and therefore you’ll need an Internet connection in order to make progress in offline modes. The requirement for the online connection isn't specific to the Cafe per se. It's just to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data, so that's the reason for the online connection." He continues: "The online connection is required for the campaign mode."

Yamauchi at least explains the arcade mode won't have the online requirement bolted on since it doesn't affect save data. So, if anything requires some sort of save functionality in Gran Turismo 7, you'll need to stay connected in order to access it.

It’s a decision that’s unlikely to be well-received by fans, especially considering a big emphasis of Gran Turismo 7 is on its single player content. To be fair, it looks like it’s going to be worth having your console hooked up: we were treated to an early look at the title this week, and reckon it’s shaping up to be the biggest and best Gran Turismo yet. You can read our impressions through here.

gran-turismo-7-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Miles708

What a load of bull.
You need a constant connection to play single player so they're sure you don't cheat.

Unpopular opinion: what if i cheat. Honestly. I don't, but even if I did it's the single player portion. Make me cheat in peace.

You're worried about multiplayer? No problem, synchronize data on the server when I go to play online, do your checks, gate progression for that mode only.

What an hysterical solution to an hysterical problem.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Is GT Sport a fucking mess with collision and penalties? I remember false positive penalties were the reason why I abandoned the game.

Soodanim

I fail to see the logic where it's worth gimping the experience for people because you've got a vendetta against people who want to cheat offline.

Protect your online by any means, that's fine. But have an offline save system, too. It's not like it's one or the other.

Could their online system not have checks that validate car/part/setting mixes to see whether or not they're legitimate mixes? I each car or part has databases/arrays of what they're compatible with, so if someone gets online with a modded set then boot them.

SkylineRKR

For me personally, looking at other games that require you to be signed in, this is a non-issue. I can't remember being completely blocked out of play for the past few years. GTS always worked too when I wanted to play it.

The worst thing was with GT5 when everything slowed to a crawl when online.

Do I care about people cheating credits and such in Single Player? no. Do as you see fit, hack the game to your hearts content. Its not my progression. I rather complete it legit. I know for a fact you'll be soured very soon if you do cheat with no objectives left.

Last edited:

daclynk

I thought Playstation didn't do online, believed in generations and console only exclusives

What goes around, comes around
yeah but it need revenue that what matters now. after all they(Sony) makes their most revenue from MTX and other online services.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Ugh. Let me make an offline profile. I don't care for multiplayer; personal bests and car collecting is what I want from my GT experience, which is why I passed on Sport.

Three

What a load of bull.
You need a constant connection to play single player so they're sure you don't cheat.

Unpopular opinion: what if i cheat. Honestly. I don't, but even if I did it's the single player portion. Make me cheat in peace.

You're worried about multiplayer? No problem, synchronize data on the server when I go to play online, do your checks, gate progression for that mode only.

What an hysterical solution to an hysterical problem.
The single player portion and the online portion share the same car garage. You can't cheat the single player portion without cheating the multiplayer one.

I think it's because they would rather you grind Cr or pay for the cars even if you don't go online. If somebody is getting the cars by editing a save file it would make that grind or payment worthless.

Allandor

I think this system is there because it'll eventually come to PC, cheaters' hive.
Not the PC is the problem. You can cheat on PS4 (hacked consoles). So far I don't think there will be a PC version.

But this is really ridicules. Let them cheat in single player as they want. This shouldn't be their business. Just try to get cheaters away from the multiplayer-mode.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not the PC is the problem. You can cheat on PS4 (hacked consoles). So far I don't think there will be a PC version.

But this is really ridicules. Let them cheat in single player as they want. This shouldn't be their business. Just try to get cheaters away from the multiplayer-mode.

Because cheating in singleplayer might get them into real eSports eventually as GT eSport is literally a massive deal celebrated worldwide and certified by the FiA.

Three

all i want to know is i can play the game without connecting it online. like single player offline and still enjoy the game fully.
For this game, just like the one before it (GT:Sport) no you can't save. You can play the game offline and its various modes but your save is tied to the cloud and you can't save without a connection.

daclynk

For this game, just like the one before it (GT:Sport) no you can't save. You can play the game offline and its various modes but your save is tied to the cloud and you can't save without a connection.
not even save on the system. thats BS

GreatnessRD

If you're going to spew bullshit, at least make it believable, Yamauchi-san.

While it doesn't personally affect me, shit is still lame. None of the single-player modes need this. If joey Random wants to cheat in OFFLINE MODES, let him enjoy the game in peace, cocksucka. Goofy, I swear.

Guilty_AI

Because cheating in singleplayer might get them into real eSports eventually as GT eSport is literally a massive deal celebrated worldwide and certified by the FiA.

The single player portion and the online portion share the same car garage. You can't cheat the single player portion without cheating the multiplayer one.

I think it's because they would rather you grind Cr or pay for the cars even if you don't go online. If somebody is getting the cars by editing a save file it would make that grind or payment worthless.
TDU had that figured out 16 years ago already. Just let people create online and offline profiles.

Three

So when i'm close to finishing a 24h race and my connection gets interrupted... what then?
Nothing happens. You continue on with the race. Your save remains until you get to the menu and if you connect again it syncs to the online one and even still gives you your daily car reward.

You cannot start another race that requires a save until you connect. You can still play all the offline arcade modes with all the cars you've earned from the local save.

It's not that draconian, it only prevents save progression when not online because the Cr and car garage is shared between multiplayer and singleplayer and I think because they still want you to grind or pay and not cheat, even if you're not an online player.

Three

TDU had that figured out 16 years ago already. Just let people create online and offline profiles.
I guess they don't want to go through all the trouble of having 2 profiles and two separate garages (how would this even work?) just to accommodate save file hackers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom