• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA’s remaster trilogy has ‘significantly exceeded expectations’ with up to 10m sales

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I find pride in not being part of a group of 10 million idiots.
Yes this.

Love for gaming and spending money on your hobby is one thing but its high time we all unite and send a statement by not giving them a dime. And its not even about Rockstar, the industry in general. Although in particular what they have done with GTA remastered is truly disrespectful to all of us fans. Fuck them and I am too proud that i was able to resist and not shell out. Same with Battlefield 2042.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Seems like it was released with some bugs and now it's been fixed. Shit happens. But since this is gAm1ng it means "w0r$t dev evah, Rock$t@r is de@D rarrrrr!!!!!1"

I'm just going to leave this here.

I have a feeling the majority of the bugs captured here aren't yet fixed since they're likely fundamental issues with the game's software. Just the fact they shipped the game with full commented code, with Hot Coffee, with music that was out of license, with tons of spelling errors, it just screams lazy and cynical cash grab.

Let’s see how the GTA V PS5/Xbox versions turn out. It’s sad to see Rockstar like this and be well rewarded for it.
Me, personally, I can't wait to see another GTA:V Remasturd trailer showing ancient cutscenes from the original release on the next Sony State of Play and told to be hyped about it. I have to wonder why it's taking this long, and I'm guessing they're a dysfunctional mess and can't cludge the code well enough to get a basic compile going.

Last edited:

tommib

Sarcastic Nancy Pelosi GIF by MOODMAN

EDMIX

No way!
There is something wrong with those numbers.

Lol no I would argue there's probably something wrong with how some of the community sees this type of thing.

The Gaming Community by far might be one of the most delusional I've seen in a long time so what you're telling me is you just realize your feelings don't actually equal sales?

Neogaf along with many other communities seems to have this weird habit of assuming their emotional state or feelings somehow must justify units sold...

So this game is a digital-only title and I would assume primarily moved the most units on Playstation considering the installed base and cultural lineage...

This fucking game didn't even make the top 10 of best-selling games that year and still moved 10 million units but when you look at that list of best sellers why the fuck or any of you really that surprised? When you look across that list it is not unusual to see something like Madden FIFA Battlefield Call of Duty Far Cry or a bunch of sports games or clearly Grand Theft Auto V therefore why would anyone be surprised another Grand Theft Auto would move such units?

So I'm not defending the condition of that game "as that seems to be the go-to argument of people who seem to hate fucking facts" I'm defending reality here, as someone stated the fact that cyberpunk 2077 moved something like 13 million units despite the ridiculous condition the game was in resulting in lawsuits in one of the biggest mass returns we've ever seen in the history of Gaming, I'm not entirely sure why anyone should be shocked that Grand Theft Auto trilogy move these units.

We literally have an article up of Activision making something ridiculous like 5 billion a year solely on microtransactions so you're not going to find many threads on this site supporting microtransactions or even in favor of them but what the fuck does that have to do with the 13 year old kid in Minnesota taking his mom or dad's credit card to buy some fucking Call of Duty skins? That's irrelevant to the rest of the world and I really really believe some of you need to separate those ideals.

Imagine doing this shit every year even with knowing the IP has a history of such numbers

be like :

surprised-pikachu.gif

10mil?, it didnt even chart on the NPD if i remember right, or it did first week at like no.16 or soemthing.
Something smells off here.
VERY off. Besides what you said, how the heck did this game get 10 million with no notable YouTube/Livestreaming presence outside of mockery? Or with it's Steam page being removed and having yet to be reinstated? How is it realistic for this trilogy to have sold comparable to the lifetime sales of the original iterations of each game in the span of less than 4 months?

Woggleman

Despite the condition of the games the nostalgia factor is very strong. You are talking about three of the biggest selling games of the PS2 era and the games that damn near created the modern open world genre. Even a half assed remaster will do well.

Woggleman

I just wish that Rockstar honored the legacy of these games. Yes they sold well but imagine the good will they could have bought if they brought back the original music and really put effort into making it great.

EDMIX

I just wish that Rockstar honored the legacy of these games. Yes they sold well but imagine the good will they could have bought if they brought back the original music and really put effort into making it great.

True, but I don't really know if they even have any real pull with any of that licensing stuff

Airbus Jr Airbus Jr They mean in regards to sales....I agree with the questionable quality as no remaster, remake etc should ever release in that state, but some of the comments trying to misconstrue that fucking statement to mean they are ok with the actual quality of the game really need to stop. If they really felt that way you'd see no patch, no updates, you'd never see them delay the disk version or put out those statements about the issues.

Next thing, no, this is not the same Rockstart that made RDR2, this isn't Rockstar at all, this is a team outsourced to do this remaster Grove Street Games, which brings me to my next point.

If gamers making such comments don't even know who makes their games, are confused about the context of a pretty clear statement, why is anyone surprised that you are seeing so much ignore such rage post and crying Youtube bait videos and this game moving 10 million units? After a while, people will start to ignore that, think you don't know what you are talking about and ignore the real VALID concerns you have about the quality.

This game should have never came out this way and they should have given this project to a more qualified team, I'd say Bluepoint, but I don't know this whole situation to even state that they didn't approach them already and they passed based on the number of projects they are already doing or something, either way more qualified teams exist that do this for a living that they should have handed this to a better team or given the amount of time really needed to make it work correctly etc.

But the conversation needs to be about that for any gamer to take this seriously. Pretending the Publisher is making a positive statement about quality when its not stated or not knowing who makes this title hurts greatly as anyone can just read that statement and assume you don't know what you are talking about, or a "hater" and get the game regardless adding to that 10 million. The game has issues, lets keep it on the real, truthful, factual issues. I'm not even remotely shocked this game moved 10 million, the overreaction of gamers has become so fucking comical and meme worthy, no one fucking takes this community seriously. That shit is 99% of why this game still moved those units. Those who bought it might think the comments they are reading are from neckbeard, gatekeeping, rose-tinted fanboys or something. If people kept those comments civil, leveled and grounded, people may have really given buying it a second thought like I did completely skipping it, but I can see why someone might roll their eyes by some of these comments and still buy the game. Some of the rage is having the opposite effect imho

Last edited:

leo-j

I want it back, as long it keeps angling for the more methodical approach, going for tension over the brainless shit other military shooters go for.

Otherwise stay home Socom, it’s ok.

Lol no I would argue there's probably something wrong with how some of the community sees this type of thing.

The Gaming Community by far might be one of the most delusional I've seen in a long time so what you're telling me is you just realize your feelings don't actually equal sales?

Neogaf along with many other communities seems to have this weird habit of assuming their emotional state or feelings somehow must justify units sold...

So this game is a digital-only title and I would assume primarily moved the most units on Playstation considering the installed base and cultural lineage...

This fucking game didn't even make the top 10 of best-selling games that year and still moved 10 million units but when you look at that list of best sellers why the fuck or any of you really that surprised? When you look across that list it is not unusual to see something like Madden FIFA Battlefield Call of Duty Far Cry or a bunch of sports games or clearly Grand Theft Auto V therefore why would anyone be surprised another Grand Theft Auto would move such units?

So I'm not defending the condition of that game "as that seems to be the go-to argument of people who seem to hate fucking facts" I'm defending reality here, as someone stated the fact that cyberpunk 2077 moved something like 13 million units despite the ridiculous condition the game was in resulting in lawsuits in one of the biggest mass returns we've ever seen in the history of Gaming, I'm not entirely sure why anyone should be shocked that Grand Theft Auto trilogy move these units.

We literally have an article up of Activision making something ridiculous like 5 billion a year solely on microtransactions so you're not going to find many threads on this site supporting microtransactions or even in favor of them but what the fuck does that have to do with the 13 year old kid in Minnesota taking his mom or dad's credit card to buy some fucking Call of Duty skins? That's irrelevant to the rest of the world and I really really believe some of you need to separate those ideals.

Imagine doing this shit every year even with knowing the IP has a history of such numbers

be like :

surprised-pikachu.gif
I thought the game was available physical on PS4 and X series? Regardless , it’s unlikely it did 5 million + on PS that would mean the games on that list did that much, and we know that’s not the case.

ethomaz

Banned
These are some weird maths.

155m to 160m is 5m… not 10m.

Edit - They are talking about the Trilogy of old games.

Last edited:

Slaylock

Bought it day one, finished all three (about 75 hours), loved it. They certainly weren't perfect and I experienced quite a few crashes and glitches, but I was totally satisfied with my purchase.

I always wonder how many of the haters never played it or didn't play it with the patches that fixed quite a few of the issues.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I thought the game was available physical on PS4 and X series? Regardless , it’s unlikely it did 5 million + on PS that would mean the games on that list did that much, and we know that’s not the case.

Look, I don't know how that is added up and I don't doubt what they are stating. Ok so, you are correct, a box copy did release, its the Switch one that is yet to come out.

So with boxed copies added with digital, I believe its very, very likely.

BFV did 7.5 million units its first several weeks, yet didn't even chart on NPD for total sales ending of the year

So you can move millions and still not appear on the top NPD by the ending of the year, if they are adding in all sources, Steam, XBL, PSN, physicals, i'd say its very, very likely its beyond 10 millions right now.

Look at it like this, BFV is one of the slowest selling BFs and one of the worse selling in the franchise history, yet did 7.3 million in 2 fucking months. Considered a flop by fans and publisher alike lol GTA is an IP that is just too fucking massive, many more times bigger then BF with GTA V moving like 160 million units, so with that being said, I'm not too shocked at 10 million for this title

kingfey

Banned
Gta is like minecraft at this point. People would buy it, just for the IP.

3liteDragon

And here I am thinking they would release a proper RDR2 update for PS5/Series X|S with an RDR1 remaster... I get that it's a shit remaster but HOW THE FUCK does this sell 10 MILLION copies man?

bender

What time is it?
Bought it day one, finished all three (about 75 hours), loved it. They certainly weren't perfect and I experienced quite a few crashes and glitches, but I was totally satisfied with my purchase.

I always wonder how many of the haters never played it or didn't play it with the patches that fixed quite a few of the issues.

Awesome avatar. <3

I could probably deal with most of the nonsense and garish character modeling had they restored the soundtracks but of course they didn't. I'll try SA on GP eventually. CJ's model is the least fucked up anyway.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
On top of the bad port, these games didn't age well. The open world seems to lifeless compared to V.

bender

What time is it?
On top of the bad port, these games didn't age well. The open world seems to lifeless compared to V.

They all have merits over modern GTA. SA's sandbox is super fun. Driving an 18-wheeler to the top of Mount Chiliad, launching the rig off of the ramp at the peak, bailing from it and parachuting to safety while listening to Radio Los Santos will never be topped. Vice City's theme will never be topped. The accidental genius of GTA3's mission design will never be topped. I'll take the soundtracks in either of those three over IV & V.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Goddamn dumb shits rewarding these devs.

Actually, I shouldn’t victim blame.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Goddamn dumb shits rewarding these devs.

Actually, I shouldn’t victim blame.

I'd guess most sales came from a more casual audience. I can't imagine wanting to relive some fond childhood memories and then being greeted by those redesigns.

giphy.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Played like 30 min of San Andreas (because it was in Gamepass). Seemed okay, although the trailer definitely made it look better.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not really that surprised, it’s GTA combined with nostalgia after all.

I just hope people notice how crappy the games are and that this bites R* in the ass down the line.

I started playing San Andreas and it’s by far one of the worst games I played last year.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

This has nothing to do with emotional status of the gaming community. So get off your high horse.
GTA Trilogy received bad reviews from critics and gamers alike. It has a ton of technical issues, as reported by gamers and analysts. Everyone knew it was bad.
So it is surprising that a game like this would sell 10 million units.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Heres the thing. I had some semblance of trust in regards to Rockstar, it was on thin ice as it was due to the shit they've pulled but I went ahead and pre ordered the digital Xbox version around two days before release hoping it would be a good remaster

All I can say now is, I wont do it again. My days of pre ordering anything is over and Rockstar are far from a company I used to respect

I know it's a drop in the ocean but there it is

Good luck to them in making their billions from here on out but their latest moves in regards to their games has lost me as a customer day one.

Top Bottom