• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 Sold 5 Million Copies Last Quarter, Total sales now at 165 Million

kikkis

It's kind of odd to think that even if gta 6 was half as successful as gta v, it would sell 80 million units.

Or think that gta v has sold as many games as 8 succesful cods in their launch window.

Last edited:
Didn't someone report on Mario Kart 8 selling something silly last year as well? There are some games that become timeless classics and just keep selling. Its pretty wild.

Didn't someone report on Mario Kart 8 selling something silly last year as well? There are some games that become timeless classics and just keep selling. Its pretty wild.
This thread is only about the last quarter. And last quarter, Mario Kart 8 sold 2 million copies. Considering its price (still €45 where I'm at), it's absolutely wild, yeah. GTA5 is generally much cheaper.

Mshoaibi789

Neo Member
This title is a cash cow for Rockstars, First, they earn from the old consoles, then from the PC and now again from new-gen consoles. But the fact is that the game is really worth playing.

Tangerine

Who are these people who are still buying the game?

(I'm one of them, bought it when the Series X version came out :messenger_smirking:)
Same. I felt a bit stupid as I had GTA5 digitally for my Xbox series X, which I got for about £10 in a sale, never played it (must have owned it at least 2 or 3 years) and since I pretty much 100%ed gta4 and it's 2 DLCs...

I felt ready for GTA5 but just got forgot about it. I've never properly played it btw. Maybe a few hours round a friends house, years and years ago now.

I felt a tad better using a £10 Xbox voucher to make the purchase cheaper for myself but obviously Rockstar still get it all. I'm part of the problem, I know! :(

That said, 4k 60fps and the quick character swapping/minimal loading really made the game play so much better. I'd got used to 60fps in gta4 on the series X too.

I've played at least 10 hours now focusing on the story and side missions and it's a great game. LTTP I know!

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Normies buy based on the name alone. Gaming forums need to understand this. As soon as kids are old enough they ask for GTA,FIFA,COD,etc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Normies buy based on the name alone. Gaming forums need to understand this. As soon as kids are old enough they ask for GTA,FIFA,COD,etc.
we know that but this game is almost 9 years old and Rockstar are milking it for all it's worth. We want a new GTA game. We should've got GTA VI around 4-5 years ago. We could be on GTA VII by now if Rockstar weren't such greedy assholes.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Please stop buying GTA V.

b2943241-1536-47f1-b6f0-2e54fa315ece_9cd8b3c7.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
At $10 on PS5 I couldn’t help myself…which would be my fourth copy (PS3, PS4, PS5 and PC).

I wanted 4K and HDR, shoot me…

Last edited:

Kabelly

i got a new pc and part of me wants to rebuy this dumb game just to see it in 4k 100fps but.....im so tired of this game. i bought it on launch for the damn ps3.

Lupin25

I’m guilty lol…

But I had kid that literally grew up (Just turned 14) and wanted to play it like it was a new game.

Year after year it sustains it’s popularity and new generations of kids latch onto it… That’s how long GTA 5 has been relevant (a DECADE now).

Edit: Not exactly the biggest fan of them anymore like most, but that’s a testament to Rockstar’s (circa 2013) insane vision.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
As have been mentioned in this thread already: It's been what, 9 years? People are being born every day so-to-speak.. I mean, GTA is genre defining and there's still no games exactly like it, and every day there are people having grown old enough to play it, so there's a constant influx of new users - And new platforms and versions, thus also new double and triple dippers.. The only thing that can stop this train is GTAVI.

Last edited:
Do they group in gta online sales when it sells separately too? Regardless the huge success of this game kills artistic integrity in rockstar and I hate it. As good as RDR2 game received 0 support because GTAV makes all the money.

brian0057

Banned
Just for reference:
Michael Jackson's Thriller is the music album with the highest number of copies sold at 70M units.
Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time at $2.8B.

GTAV, with 165M units sold and around $6B in profit, makes it the biggest entertainment release in history.

Top Bottom