• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 just got leaked (Up: confirmed real)

Justin9mm

I know this is a cross gen game and early dev builds do not look anything close to the quality of the final product but the fact it is 2022, there has been 2 generations of consoles since GTAV and there seems to be no evolution in their formula and it virtually looks just like GTAV from what I can see, it's pretty shit!

I was afraid this was going to be GTAV 2.0 and here it is! I think they have reached their peak, this is probably going to be a more improved polished version of GTAV. This IP is dying!

TheMan

I know this is a cross gen game and early dev builds do not look anything close to the quality of the final product but the fact it is 2022, there has been 2 generations of consoles since GTAV and there seems to be no evolution in their formula and it virtually looks just like GTAV from what I can see, it's pretty shit!

I was afraid this was going to be GTAV 2.0 and here it is! I think they have reached their peak, this is probably going to be a more improved polished version of GTAV. This IP is dying!
I have to wonder how much they’re being held back by developing for last gen consoles. From a business perspective it’s obvious why they couldn’t just ditch last gen, but yeah what I’ve seen so far is basically GTA V dlc

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://gamerant.com/grand-theft-auto-6-hacker-gta-5-source-code-sold/

IFiVVcN.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have to wonder how much they’re being held back by developing for last gen consoles. From a business perspective it’s obvious why they couldn’t just ditch last gen, but yeah what I’ve seen so far is basically GTA V dlc
This was very likely a PS4 game that was supposed to come out soon after RDR2. But RDR2 got delayed and Rockstar had every single one of their 7 studios and 3,000 employess working on it. Then they simply couldnt finish this in time for last gen. Now they are left with a 8 year old game that had most of its design work done on the last gen consoles.

It's the CPU. The CPU upgrade between the PS3 and PS4 gen were minimal at best. Ubisoft devs did a simulation and found that the PS3 cell processor was actually more capable than the PS4 processor in one animation test. The 1.6 ghz clockspeeds really hurt what you can do with that CPU. Even the PS3 and Xbox 360 CPUs were 3.2 ghz.

Combine that with the fact that both MS and Sony cheaped out last gen and chose not to put any SSDs that were common place in laptops in 2013 and you're just looking at a GPU upgrade. They did a phenomenal job with just the GPU in RDR2, but in terms of gameplay systems, it was roughly identical to GTAV.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If the guy leaks the testing build I can see Rockstar going nuclear and demanding telemetry from MS to find out who’s running the game on Windows and go after people who downloaded it.
Compiling the source code of a game this size, you might as well just wait for the game to release they will both actually execute at the same time.

The Legion source code was 560GBs......,my PC just looked at the link and shutdown.
The powerbutton and even shorting it on wouldnt work.
About 2 days later it finally powered on, I went back to "our nefarious friends" and the link was gone.
I checked my internet traffic over those 2 days and my PC was constantly going back to that link checking on it from behind some bushes.......once the link dropped it finally booted.
Little did it know I already had the hashdata so i could still download it.
The next time my PC fucks around Ill be sure to threaten it with attempting to compile some of this shit.

They likely compile each build overnight and as needed.
I dont think the leaker has a working build downloaded.

sachos

Sucks for the devs that the first contact with the game for most people are subpar uber compressed videos from what it looks like a ~2 years old build.

How virtuous of you. I’m sure those leakers and hackers will sit up and take notice with your article and see the errors in their ways.

Or the people who normally laugh and cheer at these sorts of shenanigans, giving the perpetrators all the validation they are so pathetically and desperately seeking, will realise how much this shit harms their hobby and will have a change of heart.

If the hackers don't get validated, it removes a huge part of the impetus for them to keep pulling these childish stunts.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The amount of simping I've seen regarding this is ridiculous. You would think someone died with the way that some of these guys are taking.

"my hearts go out to the devs"

"thinking of you"

"🤮🤮🤮"
lol haha. I was about to mention this. I think twitter is a big mistake because everyone feels obligated to offer condolences for anything public. It's not like the Queen died and you are best friends with Prince Harry on twitter. Even then, send a fucking text or a PM. This is a hack of a $30 billion company that just bought fucking zynga for $12 billion. A company that treats its users like crap and has run games like NBA2k to the ground with awful microtransactions shoehorned in every single mode. A company that refused to deliver a single heist after promising to do that to tens of millions of day one buyers when they sold $1 billion worth of copies in a weekend.

I dont see hearts going out to the players who havent had any next gen games for 2 years after spending $500 on a next gen console during the pandemic. Its not even like the story leaked and things like a main character's death was spoiled. It's just gameplay stuff that is likely so old that by the time they produce a fancy trailer, it would look nothing like this leak and everyone would forget about it. Especially if the add some ray tracing. Even cyberpunk looked amazing in trailers.

Raven77

Well, if anything, this will likely force them to release the trailer, first screens, and official details sooner than they planned.

This is going to spread quickly and the impression it leaves is very negative.

They'll want to do damage control.

This was very likely a PS4 game that was supposed to come out soon after RDR2. But RDR2 got delayed and Rockstar had every single one of their 7 studios and 3,000 employess working on it. Then they simply couldnt finish this in time for last gen. Now they are left with a 8 year old game that had most of its design work done on the last gen consoles.

It's the CPU. The CPU upgrade between the PS3 and PS4 gen were minimal at best. Ubisoft devs did a simulation and found that the PS3 cell processor was actually more capable than the PS4 processor in one animation test. The 1.6 ghz clockspeeds really hurt what you can do with that CPU. Even the PS3 and Xbox 360 CPUs were 3.2 ghz.

Combine that with the fact that both MS and Sony cheaped out last gen and chose not to put any SSDs that were common place in laptops in 2013 and you're just looking at a GPU upgrade. They did a phenomenal job with just the GPU in RDR2, but in terms of gameplay systems, it was roughly identical to GTAV.
This just pisses me off that companies can’t just move to the new gen when it’s that superior

Joey.

Not siding with the hacker but I’m kinda, for a lack of a better term, glad?

They’ve suppressed all information about this game for what… 10 years now? They did not want to share anything to the fans. Not one iota.

I’m glad it was leaked and not on their terms.

Hawk269

Not siding with the hacker but I’m kinda, for a lack of a better term, glad?

They’ve suppressed all information about this game for what… 10 years now? They did not want to share anything to the fans. Not one iota.

I’m glad it was leaked and not on their terms.
Well that is a take. Jeez...you have no clue about game development and how things work when it comes to revealing a game on the devs' terms. Being happy about what is going on here really says a lot about the type of person you are. Glad I don't know you IRL.

The_hunter

All in the last ~2 years mind you:

Ubisoft hacked - Hackers Walk (Legion source code hits the streets)
Nvidia hacked - Nvidia hacks back......Hackers Walk (LHR v2 exploit found in drivers, GPU roadmap leaks)
Microsoft hacked -Hackers Walk (Details are on a need to know basis)
CDP RED hacked - Hackers Walk (Source code hits the streets)
Crytek hacked - Hackers Walk (CryEngine source code hits the streets)

Note that the Microsoft and Nvidia hacks would have been a big deal because of government contracts and the like.
Capcom was also hacked.

Last edited:

Sf4WdkT.gif

This bitch.... didn't he embarassaed himself or how our Brit friends say SOILED him self ..or gettho (shit himself) by revealing that he was taking notes that second hand "Insider"
Uhhhh where are you getting this from? Do you have any evidence or link of this? Would like to read. 👍🏻

Rykan

Well that is a take. Jeez...you have no clue about game development and how things work when it comes to revealing a game on the devs' terms. Being happy about what is going on here really says a lot about the type of person you are. Glad I don't know you IRL.
I'm happy that this hack has happened as well. I just don't understand how so many people can't appreciate what we have here: An extremely rare behind the scene look of an early build of what is probably going to be the biggest game release in the next decade or so. How can anyone with an interest in gaming not be absolutely fascinated by that?

Revealing a game on devs terms really means: When it's ready for marketing. I just happen to not care about Rockstar's marketing campaign at all.

Hawk269

I'm happy that this hack has happened as well. I just don't understand how so many people can't appreciate what we have here: An extremely rare behind the scene look of an early build of what is probably going to be the biggest game release in the next decade or so. How can anyone with an interest in gaming not be absolutely fascinated by that?

Revealing a game on devs terms really means: When it's ready for marketing. I just happen to not care about Rockstar's marketing campaign at all.
I get what you are saying and understand it to a certain extent. But I also know a lot of people in Game Development and been around the industry for about 30+ years. When I see this stuff happen when the developers were not ready to release information or the information in the context they wanted to is frustrating to anyone that was working on this stuff. I have no feelings towards Rockstar as i really don't enjoy many of the games they make, but I do know that this is a big gut punch to the developers and that is sad to see.

But I fully get being able to see stuff for game that has been rumored and known to be in development and to finally see some stuff in ways we normally don't get to see.

Dynasty8

How can anyone with an interest in gaming not be absolutely fascinated by that?

Because it can very well fuck with development time and when we can get our hands on it. Many of us have been waiting 9 years. Leaking of the source code can be detremental to all the time devs spent on the game.

The amount of simping I've seen regarding this is ridiculous. You would think someone died with the way that some of these guys are taking.

"my hearts go out to the devs"

"thinking of you"

"🤮🤮🤮"
Y'all are so cynical and depressing. Talking shit about people trying to show devs some support for the biggest gaming leak/hack in history.

coffinbirth

Its set after gta v
I'm aware of the post GTA V references in a couple of the videos. I think there are either flashback missions, or this game takes place in multiple time periods. Case in point, one of the nightclub mission videos showed people pretty clearly in early/mid 2000s garb, electronica/pre-edm blasting on the speakers, and all the tv's were all pretty chunky flatscreens with DVD player logos on them. That screams 2007ish to me. There are also a few curious car models like a 1999 Buick Skylark, that would be very out of place in Miami these days. Probably flashback sequences, but if they are cutting back the scope of the amount of playable protagonists from V, perhaps the scope of the story is now much larger.

All that being said, my original comment that you replied to was before the discovery of those aforementioned post-GTA V references. That shit was going down in real time, was quite exciting, lol.

Top Bottom