• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 just got leaked (Up: confirmed real)

Danknugz

I don't wish to upload it anywhere because I don't feel like getting banned off a service but it's nothing but walking around in debug mode. If you've seen a few clips, you've seen them all.
thanks i managed to find some screenshots. looks like what i expected GTA4 to look like.

Himuro

All in the last ~2 years mind you:

Ubisoft hacked - Hackers Walk (Legion source code hits the streets)
Nvidia hacked - Nvidia hacks back......Hackers Walk (LHR v2 exploit found in drivers, GPU roadmap leaks)
Microsoft hacked -Hackers Walk (Details are on a need to know basis)
CDP RED hacked - Hackers Walk (Source code hits the streets)
Crytek hacked - Hackers Walk (CryEngine source code hits the streets)

Note that the Microsoft and Nvidia hacks would have been a big deal because of government contracts and the like.
Wow.

coffinbirth

For a company as giant as Take Two who likes to milk their big time franchises with either an annual release (NBA 2k) or have giant gaps in releases where they relaunch games over again (GTA) or ride the sales for eons, you'd think they'd put in some effort to make the trilogy a quality game they can milk for 10 years.

It's not like T2 rushes their games out (aside from annual NBA), so for them to put the trilogy game on the market in the state it was, something weird happened. Some reason the execs chose this game to rush out. Either they needed the money asap, or they thought the gaming community would just eat it up and not focus on the bad things in the game.
It was a cash grab, plain and simple.
And i'm saying it is not even close to release.
No shit, Sherlock.

Last edited:

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
does anyone find it odd that Rockstar is doing another redneck with Jason?

like don't get me wrong i expect Jason to be a great character because R* are some of the best in biz in character development, and what we got from Arthur Morgan i expect that he will be very defined

I just find it interesting that after Trevor, Rockstar would tackle that archetype again with Jason. It's not like them to repeat on those things

Kupfer

I just find it interesting that after Trevor, Rockstar would tackle that archetype again with Jason. It's not like them to repeat on those things
I don't think Jason will be as extreme as Trevor. Trevor had to be crazy for 3 because Michael and Travis were boring. Jason could be more like Deacon from Days Gone. Redneck, but not completely stupid. Johnny was also kind of loveable white trash.

does anyone find it odd that Rockstar is doing another redneck with Jason?

like don't get me wrong i expect Jason to be a great character because R* are some of the best in biz in character development, and what we got from Arthur Morgan i expect that he will be very defined

I'll be playing the female lead as much as the game allows. Especially if outfits are fully customizable.

Do you?

Ee6Izow.jpg

I definitely don’t after that cash grab farming there iconic franchise to a joke mobile developer in grove street games.

I’m not glad this has leaked but I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for Rockstar the way they’ve acted in recent times.
charles laughton GIF

ChaosWalrus

Neo Member
10K lines of code were publicly posted. There's a shitload of code they now have to re-write for security/anti-cheat purposes. They'll also have to go through every video which was leaked to ensure there's nothing similarly sensitive in there, and if there is, protect it. And that's after they reassess their security and workflow policies. They have a lot of work to do purely as a result of this leak.
Not to get political but imagine that process with top secret documents.

Neff

We're not talking about a hardware exploit here.

To be clear we're not talking about any specific kind of exploit here. We're talking hypothetically about general security, secrecy, accountability, and why massive corporations don't sleep on that shit, especially when another potentially actionable company's security is essentially in their hands, in this case hardware licensors.

If you're doubting the severity of this leak because you're worried it will impact the development schedule, I wouldn't. Given the monstrous amount of money invested in and riding on this project, the developers will pull out all the stops to hit their promised milestones, which will probably involve a lot of restructuring and delegation. Rich companies can perform miracles when they hit the panic button. But make no mistake, they do have a big problem.

Get over yourself. I’m not defending hacking. I actively work in the industry to prevent these types of incidents.

I’m saying that it’s an eventuality that any company, if a group wants to get in….will.

There are lots of companies in lots of different sectors of commerce that don't get hacked.

It isn't an eventuality that every company will get hacked unless they have the right security, and it really shouldn't be.

I know what you're saying, but if you work in this very field then you should be more than aware that the race between security systems versus malicious hackers is a perpetual one. The moment the state of the art in security measures has the upper hand, the hackers will find new exploits and new ways to circumvent them. It's never-ending.

So blaming the company for "not having tight enough security" is hollow, when even the most secure systems can be broken wide open by a determined enough hacker group.

I am sympathetic to a degree, but I’m a realist. It’s sucks if this delays things. But it’s not the end of the world. If it increases security within Rockstar then that’s a positive right?

Not from my perspective as a gamer. I would have rather they got by with the security they had, not get hacked in the first place and thus not have the waste the massive amount of time and resources necessary to secure their systems against these sorts of attacks.

They're a gaming company. They aren't exploiting child labourers in Africa.

If script kiddies wanna go after some corporate entity for shits and giggles, there are far more nefarious, sketchy and just downright unethical companies out there that would be more deserving (e.g. like mining or oil companies).

Every cloud has a silver lining. If this had happened later down the line when the game was nearly complete then this would be 100 times worse. The stuff in the leak is pretty meaningless in my eyes if they can shut the loop on the source code, with cheating etc. they have saved face quite well.

That's not the point. It shouldn't have happened at all.

Get some perspective in your life, if this is the worst thing to happen to you this year. I advise you go over to the off topic forum and read the Russia begins invasion of Ukraine thread and then appreciate that this is an insignificant thing to get wound up about.

Again with the silly strawman hyperbole. No one is claiming this is the worst thing to happen to your life this year apart from you.

I'm sure you can at least be honest enough to agree that the deleterious effect it can have on gaming is shit and it sucks for gamers? We must be able to agree on that at least...?

rob305

Really hope he doesnt have GTA6 source code like hes saying, if that ends up being true the game is fucked, people will leak the story, map and everything else.

He definitely has the GTA5 source so hoping that all he was able to get from 6 are screenshots and maps from their slack / confluence

Looks pretty good so far for an early version. Good leak
I mean I’m not glad it leaked, since it could have been in a better light… so in that sense I wouldn’t call it a “good leak” for them at least. But for the bit I’ve viewed it’s actually very impressive that early in development. You’d normally see a bunch of bounding boxes in lieu of actual objects and very few textures, scenes not animated yet etc. but for the most part it’s ‘almost together’.…and it’s still nowhere near out.

Rockstar is known for it’s obsession in micro detail, so it doesn’t really surprise me it’s not anywhere near done. And it seems they getting there despite the whole Housers+Benzies leaving = doom crowd. The spirit seems to still be there.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I would have rather they got by with the security they had, not get hacked in the first place and thus not have the waste the massive amount of time and resources necessary to secure their systems against these sorts of attacks.
See, that’s where you and I disagree. You see security as a business cost and a “waste”. I see it as pure necessity and essential in the digital era.

Again with the silly strawman hyperbole. No one is claiming this is the worst thing to happen to your life this year apart from you.

I was not saying this was the worst thing to happen to “me”. I’m stating that others in this thread are acting as if this is SO bad. The hyperbole from you is off the scale in terms of how this has affected you. I don’t really care, I just find it an interesting story. GTA6 will release and be absolutely amazing.

I agree it sucks for “gamers”, poor them, much sympathy. We are an entitled bunch I will give you that.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Not really. Those two statements are orthogonal.
You can see how they’re a paradox though?

You’re saying it shouldn’t have happened, and then out of the other side of your mouth you’re saying they now need to waste money on security. If you’re saying not all companies are vulnerable then maybe you should get in to cybersecurity since you seem to know quite a lot about it and how simple it is.

See, that’s where you and I disagree. You see security as a business cost and a “waste”. I see it as pure necessity and essential in the digital era.

If your business is financial services, I would agree.

But if your business is selling digital toys, it shouldn't be.

It's like saying a children's author needs to spend millions on the digital security of his cloud drive account, because of the digital era. They can, but they shouldn't have to. They're a fucking children's author.

I was not saying this was the worst thing to happen to “me”. I’m stating that others in this thread are acting as if this is SO bad. The hyperbole from you is off the scale in terms of how this has affected you. I don’t really care, I just find it an interesting story. GTA6 will release and be absolutely amazing.

I haven't mentioned one bit how this has affected me personally, so I don't know whose posts you're reading there. And not once have I been hyperbolic. Do you not know what that word means?

How is saying hacking Rockstar could cause a potential delay to the game and spoil surprises hyperbole? WTF are you on, mate?

I agree it sucks for “gamers”, poor them, much sympathy. We are an entitled bunch I will give you that.

So basically, you are really just a hacker apologist masquerading as an impartial poster... got it. Nuff said. You're part of the problem, Ken. It's folks like you who enable these script kiddie goons by excusing their toxic behaviour.

Last edited:
You can see how they’re a paradox though?

You’re saying it shouldn’t have happened, and then out of the other side of your mouth you’re saying they now need to waste money on security. If you’re saying not all companies are vulnerable then maybe you should get in to cybersecurity since you seem to know quite a lot about it and how simple it is.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I see.

FTFY

All it takes is time, money, endurance. Every system has a weakness. You said it yourself.

Loool, I look forward to the announcement that Fischer-Price and Toys R' Us got hacked....

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
because the hacker shitstains should have not targetted them."
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

You live in your little fairy world where everybody is best friends and equality exists for all. There are numerous socio-economic reasons why people undertake this behaviour. I’m not here to make excuses for them they exist and that’s it. To think they’re going to go away or they should feel bad is unbelievably naive.

Cut of the head and two more appear.

Maybe we should ask Russia, China and North Korea among many other nation state and APT groups to just leave us alone really nicely and stop targeting us with ransomware.

It is a never ending arms race, you’re 100% correct.

Js562

I mean I’m not glad it leaked, since it could have been in a better light… so in that sense I wouldn’t call it a “good leak” for them at least. But for the bit I’ve viewed it’s actually very impressive that early in development. You’d normally see a bunch of bounding boxes in lieu of actual objects and very few textures, scenes not animated yet etc. but for the most part it’s ‘almost together’.…and it’s still nowhere near out.

Rockstar is known for it’s obsession in micro detail, so it doesn’t really surprise me it’s not anywhere near done. And it seems they getting there despite the whole Housers+Benzies leaving = doom crowd. The spirit seems to still be there.
Oh yeah for sure it wasn't good for Rockstar. Just seeing what was leaked for how far the game is from release seems good

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Oh yeah for sure it wasn't good for Rockstar. Just seeing what was leaked for how far the game is from release seems good
Graphically though not even close.

I'm sure it will look better at release, but not as much as people are hoping because it's a PS4 and Xbone game.

Shit.

blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif

Graphically though not even close.

I'm sure it will look better at release, but not as much as people are hoping because it's a PS4 and Xbone game.

Shit.

blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif
You’re assuming to much.

And just because the leak was using a PS4 dev kit or whatever doesn’t mean it won’t be next-gen (current-gen) only. Other games have had their last gen ports cancelled like Gotham Knights (probably not the best example, but I think you get the idea).

Though I suppose we won’t know definitively until the platforms for GTA6 have been announced. I still believe there is a high possibility it will be current gen only.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You’re assuming to much.

And just because the leak was using a PS4 dev kit or whatever doesn’t mean it won’t be next-gen (current-gen) only. Other games have had their last gen ports cancelled like Gotham Knights (probably not the best example, but I think you get the idea).

Though I suppose we won’t know definitively until the platforms for GTA6 have been announced. I still believe there is a high possibility it will be current gen only.
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

njean777

I don't understand why Rockstar is so upset, its GTA, and looks jut like GTA. Turn the leak into a promo (investigate how it happened and fix the problem) and go on about your day. Everybody knows you are going to make a new one eventually, as GTA prints money.

Last edited:

op22

Looks like a really good PS3 game. I'm sure investors will be thrilled about the revenue the leaks will generate from insurance companies.

Ribi

All in the last ~2 years mind you:

CDP RED hacked - Hackers Walk (Source code hits the streets)
Crytek hacked - Hackers Walk (CryEngine source code hits the streets)
Do we even get anything out of source code leaks? I remember people thinking big mods or entire game changes. But we didn't get shit?

Top Bottom