• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 will ‘set creative benchmarks for the series’, claims publisher Take-Two.

What does Take Two, the faceless publisher and its grubby money grabbing execs and their word vomit PR department, know about goddamn artistic creativity?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
show me GIF by John Legend

Your doubting the developer responsible for not 1 but multiple "games of the generation"...

The game industry is so fucking boring just talking about what they’re gonna do in the next 3 years. Where the fuck are the games or even the trailers??

• New splinter cell coming whenever
  • New tomb raider coming sometime
  • New factions maybe we’ll talk about it next year
  • Remember control we might be making another
  • Insert studio is making a marvel game, pretty cool right?
  • Blizzard is making this cool survival rpg, talk to you in 2026
  • GTA is gonna be revolutionary in a few years tho
  • Insert new AAA game studio lead by industry veterans from established AAA studio is making AAAAAA game that you think is gonna be like the last triple AAAAA game the studio they left made, maybe it will be, doesnt matter

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Your doubting the developer responsible for not 1 but multiple "games of the generation"...
I don’t doubt.

I just want to see it in a nice little trailer preferably and then to wait years for the release with multiple delays. I don’t want to hear these empty promises. Give me the 60fps patch for RDR2 on console while you’re at it you bums.

Sosokrates

I don’t doubt.

I just want to see it in a nice little trailer preferably and then to wait years for the release with multiple delays. I don’t want to hear these empty promises. Give me the 60fps patch for RDR2 on console while you’re at it you bums.
But there not empty promises if they deliver, and judging by there record, they will. I agree that a trailer would be nice.

SSfox

Yeah same boring blabla story over and over. We will see and judge by ourself when they will release this game in 16 years.

Sosokrates

As we have learned with the GTA Trilogy debacle, the Rockstar logo is no longer a guarantee of quality. The people who made RDR 1&2, GTA 5, etc are not the same people currently working on GTA 6.
Lol, imagine using one game made by a different dev as metric for another devs ability, over there last several games that the dev responsible for GTA have actually made.

And your 2nd paragraph is rather brief and inaccurate, there are plenty of long time R* employees still at the studio and apart from that we dont know the current state of R*, but you can only judge a dev by its last game..otherwise your just in some silly hypothetical whataboutism argument. You could do it for any dev, im sure people jave left Naughty dog or Bethesda since there last game.

Lol, imagine using one game made by a different dev as metric for another devs ability, over there last several games that the dev responsible for GTA have actually made.

And your 2nd paragraph is rather brief and inaccurate, there are plenty of long time R* employees still at the studio and apart from that we dont know the current state of R*, but you can only judge a dev by its last game..otherwise your just in some silly hypothetical whataboutism argument. You could do it for any dev, im sure people jave left Naughty dog or Bethesda since there last game.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's going to suck just based off of GTA Trilogy. And yes, I'm aware that GSG developed the Trilogy rather than it being inhouse. What I'm getting at is Rockstar still slapped their seal of approval on that sloppy mess rather than having a proper remaster/ remake like what 2K did with the Mafia series. Also, the main creative forces that were behind the GTA and RDR series have left Rockstar, and now they're talking about toning down the game for "modern sensitivities." Hmmmmm...
I'm absolutely hoping for a great game. And regardless of its quality, I'm sure it'll still sell well. I'm just saying that the the Rockstar of 2022 is not the same Rockstar from 2018 (ironic how you brought up Bethesda). Just like how you pointed it it's the same with any other dev; We got Witcher 3 from CD Projekt Red and then later got Cyberpunk 2077. Both sold well, but they will always be remembered for different reasons.

Perrott

Gold Member
It's insane to me how most people who commented on this thread are actually doubting Rockstar's ambition and ability do deliver on them with a new title considering how Red Dead Redemption 2 blew all expectations out of the water and overdelivered while at the same time being the most gigantic project this industry has ever seen developed thus far.

Sosokrates

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's going to suck just based off of GTA Trilogy. And yes, I'm aware that GSG developed the Trilogy rather than it being inhouse. What I'm getting at is Rockstar still slapped their seal of approval on that sloppy mess rather than having a proper remaster/ remake like what 2K did with the Mafia series. Also, the main creative forces that were behind the GTA and RDR series have left Rockstar, and now they're talking about toning down the game for "modern sensitivities." Hmmmmm...
I'm absolutely hoping for a great game. And regardless of its quality, I'm sure it'll still sell well. I'm just saying that the the Rockstar of 2022 is not the same Rockstar from 2018 (ironic how you brought up Bethesda). Just like how you pointed it it's the same with any other dev; We got Witcher 3 from CD Projekt Red and then later got Cyberpunk 2077. Both sold well, but they will always be remembered for different reasons.
I mean your entiled to think this but your reasons dont make much sense,

I dont like when people continue to post false information even when they have been confronted about it, im talking about you saying the main creative forcees have left, this is just not true, a houser bro is still there and the are several long time people still there. And R* changing politically is not bad for GTA because its a reflection of the real world, it will probably be things like not having Confederate flags, racist, sextist, homophobic and transphobic jokes and insults. Thats not a big issue because they were extremely obscure in GTA5 or were not in it at all. Things like ultra violence, crime, sex work, drugs, social commentary + parallels will still be in there. Both sides of the isle dont seem to bothered by those things.

Its interesting that you're focusing on a minority of the picture and using that info to cast doubt within yourself. The majority of the info suggest this will be the best GTA yet

Bottom line is

GTA trilogy is a remake that didnt go as planned, take 2 released it but thats takes 2 decision it does not effect GTA6 or even take2's thought process, because a remake of 20yr old games is not even in the same stratosphere as a mainlain GTA sequal.
Ive addressed the political stuff.
R* still have key people that have been there for many years, they still have massive teams and they still have a huge budget.

And making GTA6 is not rocket science, they already have a caperble engine that was developed for RDR2, there is like zero competition for GTA. The bar is GTA5, Im sure they can create a game as good as GTA5 and it will automatically be better with just the visual upgrade.

Whatever they produce, it won't be by the Rockstar you and I once knew. That company exists only in name today. The people that fill its offices are not the creative minds that gave us all these legendary Rockstar games over the past 20+ years. Just like Infinity Ward, Bungie, Blizzard, and all the other great dev teams that once put out masterpieces but saw significant employee turnover and loss of old guard either through retirement or replacement, the same will be seen with this company too.

danklord

Gold Member
It's certainly a defining moment for the Dan Houser-less franchise.

I feel like the writing and storytelling of GTA 5 was the weakest part of the game. I think it could be huge if they can push everything forward with a story that doesn't need to hold up a mirror to society in such a cringe way.

Amiga

RDR2 was a benchmark in storytelling. So high hopes for this.

On the other hand Druckmann said something similar about TLOU2, so I also feel dread from this statement.

Youre wondering why people are doubting the devs who have milked the same game for 3 console generations, very recently released shitty mobile ports of some of their most iconic titles, completely abandoned RDR2 online and cant be bothered to even update the title with next gen upgrades and havent even tried to come up with a new ip or idea since about 2011???? Shit and we cant even doubt them?

Youre wondering why people are doubting the devs who have milked the same game for 3 console generations, very recently released shitty mobile ports of some of their most iconic titles, completely abandoned RDR2 online and cant be bothered to even update the title with next gen upgrades and havent even tried to come up with a new ip or idea since about 2011???? Shit and we cant even doubt them?

Santa Monica studios hasn't made a new ip since 2001, they must not be creative either. They didn't work on the ports. Should have just never released rdr 2 online, would that have been better?

Until they actually develop a shit game, they're still the GOAT whether you like it or not

TIGERCOOL

Sure, as I said I hope I’m wrong. The GTA Trilogy was absolutely horrible though, which is their most recent output. And even if they didn’t make that directly I’d expect them to at least care about what they’re putting out which they obviously didn’t in that case.
GTA trilogy was developed by grove street games, rockstar published it. I would never argue that they were above shameless cashgrabs, as we've seen for a decade with gta online, just that there hasn't been any precedent to associate that with the quality of their mainline output yet. rdr2 earned them a lot of good will in my books in that department. they said gta online was being used to fund quality single player experiences and at least in that case they were true to their word.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I assumed the original writers at Rockstar had left to pursue other ventures. If that isn't the case then I stand pleasantly corrected and look forward to Rockstars next project and future endeavours.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Exactly I believe you. Sosokrates Sosokrates is the resident Rockstar defender. Man RDR2 is probably one of my favourite games of all time, I have no doubt this will be fantastic. But stop giving us PR tid bits of “dIS gAmE wILl bE Da bOmB yO”, just work on the game and then let us know when you have something fantastic to show. Blue ball MF’ers

I assumed the original writers at Rockstar had left to pursue other ventures. If that isn't the case then I stand pleasantly corrected and look forward to Rockstars next project and future endeavours.
Gta 4 had two lead writers, one is still there
Gta 5 and rdr 2 had 3 lead writers, two are still there

Seems like houser was there in some capacity for the beginning of gta 6 development, but who knows to what extent.

People frequently cite benzies but he wasn't a writer, the one pushing gta online so hard at the beginning (thanks asshole, and wait until you see the piece of shit he's working on now), and barely worked on rdr 2 (if at all)

Lazlow is unfortunately gone, he was in charge of radio stations and a lot of the civilian chatter.

Definitely sucks, but not as big of a deal as people make it

Last edited:

Shakka43

"All three games "will feature across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements for all three titles, while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals"

IAnfP0H.jpg

Oh man can't wait to see how GTA 6 turns out.
C67QmSwV4AEziFP.jpg

Sosokrates

Exactly I believe you. Sosokrates Sosokrates is the resident Rockstar defender. Man RDR2 is probably one of my favourite games of all time, I have no doubt this will be fantastic. But stop giving us PR tid bits of “dIS gAmE wILl bE Da bOmB yO”, just work on the game and then let us know when you have something fantastic to show. Blue ball MF’ers

Resident rockstar defender....😆 Nice try, but...

I don't need to when the facts/reality show the best in the business pedigree of Rockstar.

I mean RDR2 got a 97 meta, sold like 44million.

GTA5 has sold an unprecedented 165 million and also scored 97.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Resident rockstar defender....😆 Nice try, but...

I don't need to when the facts/reality show the best in the business pedigree of Rockstar.

I mean RDR2 got a 97 meta, sold like 44million.

GTA5 has sold an unprecedented 165 million and also scored 97.
Adhir Kalyan Reaction GIF by CBS

I love GTAV also :)

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Yes, Rob Nelson, Aron Garbut, Sam Houser, Andrew Semple, Michael Unsworth, Rubert Humphries, and Imran Sarwar are key people who worked on RDR2 and GTA5 there 2 writers there from RDR2, Dan houser was the 3rd writer who left the company, but he did say he may come back or consult for another GTA. So don't worry a lot of the great people are still there.

Begleiter

PR fluff at its finest. They'll lift from different movies and TV shows this time, maybe.

I have a vision of a Chemistry teacher at Vice City High, suffering from AIDS since it's set in the 80s and that'd be period appropriate, and they build a drug empire to pay for treatment.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

The game industry is so fucking boring just talking about what they’re gonna do in the next 3 years. Where the fuck are the games or even the trailers??

• Insert new AAA game studio lead by industry veterans from established AAA studio is making AAAAAA game that you think is gonna be like the last triple AAAAA game the studio they left made, maybe it will be, doesnt matter
1izm3o.jpg

PR fluff at its finest. They'll lift from different movies and TV shows this time, maybe.

I have a vision of a Chemistry teacher at Vice City High, suffering from AIDS since it's set in the 80s and that'd be period appropriate, and they build a drug empire to pay for treatment.
That would be awesome (not being ironic).

Doubt it though, last thing I saw suggested a Bonnie and Clyde kind of thing, which I'm hoping refers to the manhunt and not robberies, because we've kind of seen that from Rockstar already....

Fake

As we have learned with the GTA Trilogy debacle, the Rockstar logo is no longer a guarantee of quality. The people who made RDR 1&2, GTA 5, etc are not the same people currently working on GTA 6.

People are so dumb that get attached to the company name, not the folks who originally made the game.

Justin9mm

Setting creative benchmarks for the series? That shouldn't be too hard considering its been the same open world formula since GTA3.

What else are publishers going to say? They're not going to tell you the game is shit or they have development issues to figure out, it's all bullshit.

Can't wait for that current gen RDR2, probably be $70 for 1440p 60fps, faster loading and few higher textures.

Fuck Take-Two & Fuck R*

Last edited:
It's insane to me how most people who commented on this thread are actually doubting Rockstar's ambition and ability do deliver on them with a new title considering how Red Dead Redemption 2 blew all expectations out of the water and overdelivered while at the same time being the most gigantic project this industry has ever seen developed thus far.
Rockstar didn't say anything. It's their parent publisher who did. Which means absolutely jack shit.

Insane to me how people don't realize there's a difference between something that comes out of the developer's own mouths and the mouths of top brass who are willing to say anything true or not for publicity.

zkorejo

This.

Started happening since last gen. Then half of said games get cancelled and other half get delayed 80 times and when half those half actually release they're disappointment. We are lucky if we get 2-3 good games each year now.

Talk less, do more. Talk is cheap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom