• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Fan Recreates Liberty City in Unreal Engine 5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The impressive video released by Redditor brucebanner4prez showcases a work-in-progress version of Grand Theft Auto 4's Liberty City, recreated within Unreal Engine 5. The video tours the entire city, which according to the user was blocked out using Blender. The project is clearly a work in progress, with many of the textures and models being extremely low-quality while the final assets are completed. Despite this, the progress made on the project so far is impressive and is a great step forward to seeing Liberty City on a modern game engine.

The user claims that the city so far is the result of 10 months of work, with many more required if the project is ever to be in a finished state. This isn't the first time the iconic city has been recreated by fans, with a Grand Theft Auto 5 Liberty City mod previously canceled following a takedown request from Take-Two. The popularity of the city is undeniable among fans, who will be hoping it makes an official return sooner rather than later.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Don‘t know what‘s wrong with people showing off what‘s possible and I think it‘s none of your business how people are spending their time.

tumblr_mg3efdiyOP1qc9pwoo1_500.gif

It looks like dogshit. Like someone vomited into my monitor through the internet.

jaysius

Banned
Going to start a petition.org to ban UE5 fan recreations, anyone care to sign?
I'd sign it.

Also almost all of these projects have no idea what a "performance target" is and how to even close to reach it, some of the machines they make these work on are only top of the line so normies would never be able to even run it because these people don't understand optimizing.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is so bad that I believe the only possible positive of this is that a higher up in Rockstar sees this and goes “Oh What in the hell?? I guess we don’t appreciate the talented devs we have here enough. I guess no more layoffs”.

Last edited:

sertopico

So they've just exported the SLOD map chunks (largest and easiest ones to stitch together) and put a few random mountains around it?
It's an accurate representation of New Jersey! Give the guy some credit!

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Going to start a petition.org to ban UE5 fan recreations, anyone care to sign?
Looks like yet more garbage, thanks OP

Probably half day of work exporting it from the original, as there are tools that do that, then converting importing.
It's literal dogshit, it looks terrible because it's haphazardly constructed from the original assets. Not "Blocked out in blender" lol. Did he "block out" the original low-res textures also and UV them?
Bunch of meanies :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom