• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

nordique

Very weird. I hadnt had the issues on my switch version so far. I was enjoying the nostalgia and trip down memory lane on the go. I’m playing all 3 simultaneously and they just feel like a step up from the ps2 games which is all I expected

however

The further I got in the games and more I played, the more I understand where the criticism is coming from. I wouldn’t have game breaking bugs, and still have not had any crashes or issues with the game function itself, but I certainly did get my fair share of issues related to bugs and frustrations with optimization and odd development choices that became more glaring as the games progressed.

Also, even though the switch isn’t exactly a powerhouse, it is powerful enough to get well done ports and going to saints row 3 and 4 and back to gta trilogy has opened my eyes to the shoddy quality of these ports

I have game pass and tried SA on the series X, and it’s just as odd and strangely glitchy as the switch version. Worse colours (way too dark) and with more weird bugs than the switch version

So now reflecting beyond the nostalgia hit, I am fully understanding of these shoddy ports and while the company was never going to please everyone, the quality of these ports are poor and anything but definitive.

playing other competent open world ports on switch which run better and look better and then Going back to the trilogy really shows how far these are from being definitive

Last edited:

SCB3

No wonder Rockstar sues the modders.
They do a better job for free.🤣😂

Better work than this Shitinitive Edition.

The real sad thing is, GTAV has been out since 2013, they had time to recreate these games in that Engine, thats pretty much what these are

Then again, seeing how long its taking for the Series X and PS5 versions of GTAV (which is just the PC version) I can see why they didn't

SCB3

Also, even though the switch isn’t exactly a powerhouse, it is powerful enough to get well done ports and going to saints row 3 and 4 and back to gta trilogy has opened my eyes to the shoddy quality of these ports
Still no excuse, these are nearly 20 years old, Saints Row 3, is less than 10 and was a much more powerful machine in the first place

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
dR70KLa.jpg

I still can’t fathom how they thought the rain effects are good enough . You can’t see anything else and is jarring on the eyes. I couldn’t complete a race in San Andreas because of it.

Are they trolling with this stuff or is it a genuine case of abject development. Imagine what snow would be like, bigger than Godzilla’s scrotum probably.

waquzy

I still can’t fathom how they thought the rain effects are good enough . You can’t see anything else and is jarring on the eyes. I couldn’t complete a race in San Andreas because of it.

Are they trolling with this stuff or is it a genuine case of abject development. Imagine what snow would be like, bigger than Godzilla’s scrotum probably.
The devs at GSG are useless, bottom of the barrel video game coders who have no idea whatsoever, they can't even spell simple words. I hope the whole company goes bankrupt after this...

The devs at GSG are useless, bottom of the barrel video game coders who have no idea whatsoever, they can't even spell simple words. I hope the whole company goes bankrupt after this...

The sad thing is there are mods on PC for free that are far superior to this. I won’t count my blessings but I do hope the gaming media call them out, Rockstar in particular. As you probably noticed I’m disappointed in these efforts, if you can call them that.

For all the upgrades in hardware over the years we seem to getting more and more bullshit along with it.

waquzy

When you go from what you were from 2001 to 2018 to this you deserve backlash. How does a company known for such meticulous attention to detail put out something so lazy?
They didn't. Rockstar was too lazy to even bother with the remaster, so they outsourced it to a company called Grove Street(Shite) Games.

Trippy

One thing that’s really astounding is the complete lack of concern by Rockstar for the care and quality over their most famous IP. Releases as atrocious as this bring the company into disrepute. Even if they outsourced this they should have had their own stringent standards and quality control to ensure 3 of the their most iconic games were being handled with the respect they deserve.

When Nintendo licence out the use of Mario they‘re super strict with how he is portrayed visually and that his likeness is in keeping with Nintendo’s to an insanely micro degree. A friend who‘s worked on Mario v Sonic at the Olympics told me that it was insufferable how often Nintendo were interfering with every aspect of Mario’s development in that game.

Why can’t Rockstar hold their own iconic games and characters in such high regard?

One thing that’s really astounding is the complete lack of concern by Rockstar for the care and quality over their most famous IP. Releases as atrocious as this bring the company into disrepute. Even if they outsourced this they should have had their own stringent standards and quality control to ensure 3 of the their most iconic games were being handled with the respect they deserve.

When Nintendo licence out the use of Mario they‘re super strict with how he is portrayed visually and that his likeness is in keeping with Nintendo’s to an insanely micro degree. A friend who‘s worked on Mario v Sonic at the Olympics told me that it was insufferable how often Nintendo were interfering with every aspect of Mario’s development in that game.

Why can’t Rockstar hold their own iconic games and characters in such high regard?
It's unbelievable really. Totally unprofessional even. I'll say it again Rockstar won't even throw fans a bone and update Rdr2 or gtav for the new consoles without making us wait 3 years before selling us a remaster. People seem to accept it for some reason. At least there's lots of negative press for this remaster.

RCU005

Sorry if this has been posted before, but this image portrays perfectly the state of this remaster.

aBn36EQ_700bwp.webp

Edit: In all seriousness. Sony should remove this from the PS Store. This is much worse that what Cyberpunk was. I know they removed it because people were asking for refunds, but the excuse they gave officially was that the game was not meeting quality standards. If they don't remove this, they will look like hypocrites.

There is no way this remaster collection is in any state to be sold to consumers. Everyone should be demanding a refund.

Last edited:

Filldo

Haven't commented in this thread yet but when I saw this out of the 20 pages I just had to quote it so I can say this...

Hahahahahahahahahaha

I mean how can you so blatantly have so little standards for a game, jesus.

If anyone is still confused why companies can get away with literally releasing trash here is why. People like this will gulp it down and say thank you.
I have been having fun for four days Barry. Gulping this trash down and loving every minute of it.

Banned
know they removed it because people were asking for refunds, but the excuse they gave officially was that the game was not meeting quality standards. If they don't remove this, they will look like hypocrites.

uhm, Life of Black Tiger exists... they already look like hypocrites

MilkLizard

So I got it on Switch and Series S. Checked out Vice City on Switch. Not played very far of course but everything I've seen looked more or less fine. The problem here really is the performance, it's stuttering like crazy while driving and it's honestly killing the mood playing this. We should expect a remastered PS2 game to run at least stable 30fps at all times on Switch. No excuses.

GTA III on Series S in Performance mode is a lot better but far from perfect either. An unstable framerate is an even bigger joke here, nothing less than stable 60fps is acceptable here. I haven't checked out San Andreas yet but I guess it's the same scenario plus the missing fog that makes it look even worse.

To me this looks fixable. Fix the performance (top priority), fix the godawful rain filter, brush up some character models (by hand, not some AI bullshit) and the signs and add some fog to SA and we should be good enough.

A real shame though what Rockstar has become. They used to be my absolute favorites and now this...

MAX PAYMENT

Finished vice city. I was unable to duplicate the major glitches I've seen floating around. The issues I had included 1 flying car, a spot around the beach where the terrain and mesh don't match (everything hovered a foot above the ground).
I'm not a fan of Tommy vercetti's new face. He looks younger and less intimidating.
It's very noticeable that a chunk of the soundtrack is absent.

I enjoyed having a 3d camera. I think it made a big difference, especially with the drive by shooting.
It was fun replaying one of my favorite games, but this is definitely too rough around the edges to call "definitive." I certainly hope it receives patches.

How can be something be definitive If they removed a total of 40 tracks?
Watching Yong Yea's videos, it looks like the majority/all of the typos on signs are a result of the AI conversion glitches. They slipped through the net or just weren't checked.
Don't know how It's possible to release a game with spelling errors.

LG2m0x5.jpg

Welcom To Vice City?? Who did the quality control for this Shitinitive Edition??🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

scalman

tried gta 3. game is fine for what it is. remember it just as this .. and that was long time. dont care about radio stations dont being perfect accurate or smt, they fine , all is good, it runs fine its maxed on 1080p , dun owhat else there should be. i just dont need this game for myself or other 2 games rly. but its fine .. its what it was . for someone who wants to remember how it was back then, on pc with DS4 controller emulated as x360 works fine, controls fine. all is good again. dont see anything that would be wrong here, dont c are about people models rly as they never where main thing. i just drive arround do missions.
still play cyberpunk 2077 and will play it more as its great game with mods its amazing.
love mass effect andromeda too , when some kids where whining gain so yh . depends what yoou want from games. to whine about .. go for it ... just never call yourself gamer rly... just dont.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I was enjoying San Andreas for a good few sessions this weekend, but I think I may be worn out. Not by the occasional glitches I've been encountering, but there is just so much content, which is awesome on one hand, except it's not supported by the best gameplay in the world, so it's starting to wear thin.
I still love the world they've built, so I'd like an excuse to keep going, but I can only take so many of these missions.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
tried gta 3. game is fine for what it is. remember it just as this .. and that was long time. dont care about radio stations dont being perfect accurate or smt, they fine , all is good, it runs fine its maxed on 1080p , dun owhat else there should be. i just dont need this game for myself or other 2 games rly. but its fine .. its what it was . for someone who wants to remember how it was back then, on pc with DS4 controller emulated as x360 works fine, controls fine. all is good again. dont see anything that would be wrong here, dont c are about people models rly as they never where main thing. i just drive arround do missions.
still play cyberpunk 2077 and will play it more as its great game with mods its amazing.
love mass effect andromeda too , when some kids where whining gain so yh . depends what yoou want from games. to whine about .. go for it ... just never call yourself gamer rly... just dont.
comedy central wtf GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

dotnotbot

You can tell this "definitive" edition is broken right off the start. The very first time you flip over a car you will notice it blows up much faster than in originals, giving you no chance to escape. In original game you would have additional 2-3 seconds to run away safely from the car.

This is such an obvious fuck-up that should be immediately caught by any tester who ever played originals. Most likely very easy to fix too.

Last edited:

scalman

look for more things in game that might be not cool for some....instead of playing the game. thats all that is here on this place i guess.. nobody here really playing games anyway , at least those who just post here. now its kinda clear ....
i would not thought it before that this place is like raly low .. like bottom of it all... its just sad. nothing else.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Aside from the nauseating rain effects and some performance issues, I'm liking the look of what i've played from gta3 so far(PC). I still wouldn't recommend anyone to buy it in the state the games are at the moment though.

J3nga

Aside from the nauseating rain effects and some performance issues, I'm liking the look of what i've played from gta3 so far(PC). I still wouldn't recommend anyone to buy it in the state the games are at the moment though.
There's a mod which fixes that terrible rain(who in their right mind had a look at that and said "this is perfectly fine).

Top Bottom