• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Trilogy May Have Removed Confederate Flag

Dream-Knife

Banned
So I guess Rockstar is preserving the history of the flag by not making fun of it.

The irony with woke people is they unironically support what they claim to be against.

Are they going to remove prostitutes because it "shows sex workers in a negative light" or some other clown world idea?
I remember being 7 or 8 years old and watching the Dukes of Hazzard ... I thought the General Lee was the coolest car ever, and that flag looked so bad ass on it. I had no idea who General Lee was or what the flag was about. Maybe that's the problem with some people that want to hold on to it despite it representing a treasonous, slavery-loving faction in our nation's past ... they're still just little kids. Time for the country to grow up
You have fireworks and grilling every year celebrating treason.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Yeah, don't care about the flag I just wonder how sanitized the game's content ended up being.

I hope when the game comes out some folks will make a list of all the modified (removed) content, just for the lulz.

bender

What time is it?
It is not really a preconceived notion since those people are dumb and don't usually understand what is being shown lmao. Joke is on them.

It is. Most people don't like being dunked on and the Houser's sophomoric writing isn't exactly hard to discern, even for less gifted individuals among us.

kingkaiser

You mean like the guy wearing the confederate shirt in the game? Not exactly most popular type in the 90s either. Seems like there is plenty of "context" though.
The thing is, you can still mock them assholes, just do not promote their symbols anymore. That's what really hurts them, we all know it, we all see the reactions, now don't we?

Unk Adams

Banned
I'm just curious as to why so many people have gotten so much dumber in general since 2002. Back then we all knew he was satirizing a dumb redneck which is why he had the flag on his shirt. No one complained about it or cared because they knew the reason. Only a total idiot would think Rockstar was trying to promote it. Today's generation doesn't seem to understand satire and are obsessed with complaining about things to the point that they'll take something out of context just so they get a chance to whine about it, get it changed, and then move on to their next target. These people are mentally disturbed and it's incredible that back in 2002 we would tell these whack jobs to fuck off when today everyone tries to appease them. It's just amazing that being a censorship loving, hateful idiot who spends hours on social media complaining is mainstream in the current year.

ByWatterson

1. It's literally the flag of people who committed mass armed treason against the United States, so I don't care either way.

2. Satire should be preserved, but it's their satire, so they can do whatever they want.

3. It's Rockstar, so they're not making some statement, just likely trying to avoid bad PR.

kingkaiser

Removing their symbol has already granted that flag more promotion than leaving it ever would have. If they would have left it then we wouldn't be discussing it right now.
Nope, the reactions are pretty one-sided. Mostly negative because the flag got removed.
This removal already achieved its desired effect. It has become clear that this symbol is not welcome anymore.

bender

What time is it?
I said what I said.

CriminalUnfortunateKid-size_restricted.gif

Swift_Star

Banned
Yeah, don't care about the flag I just wonder how sanitized the game's content ended up being.

I hope when the game comes out some folks will make a list of all the modified (removed) content, just for the lulz.
Wanna bet the flag will be in the end version of the game and this thread will be made fun of?

Topher

Gold Member
Nope, the reactions are pretty one-sided. Mostly negative because the flag got removed.
This removal already achieved its desired effect. It has become clear that this symbol is not welcome anymore.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. You put a spotlight on something and you've promoted it. Just the way it is.

kingkaiser

Do you consider this advert to validate racism?
Please do not even try to divert from the original toppic. This story is about a flag. A symbol for opression and historic crimes.
Yet it's still worshipped by some. Like in the real world. Imagine that lunacy. The best way to deny those people the attention they desire, is by denying them their idol.

Sybrix

Please do not even try to divert from the original toppic. This story is about a flag. A symbol for opression and historic crimes.
Yet it's still worshipped by some. Like in the real world. Imagine that lunacy. The best way to deny those people the attention they desire, is by denying them their idol.

No diversion, I’m trying to apply your logic to other ‘offensive’ material in the same game universe.

It’s a fair question to ask and one I note you haven’t yet answered

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Oh fuck off with the REEEEE shit, mate. There are entire generations that attribute the flag to silly southern pride and duke boys. Not racism.

Then again, I am not too surprised that a reeeeeturner is spouting this shit.

Last edited:

JayK47

If true, it is likely just the tip of the iceberg. I really only want this if they keep it stock and only update it for modern systems, controllers and resolutions.

kingkaiser

There is no such thing as bad publicity. You put a spotlight on something and you've promoted it. Just the way it is.
I mean it's like health agencies making public that neither the injection of horse hormones nor household cleaners will provide any protection against a virus.
It's actually common sense. Yet you will have always some idiots attempting to drink bleach because someone told them to do so. Doesn't mean the original warning was pointless or even contra productive.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You really think this will get enough traction? 😂

You think there would be an article about it if they had left it alone? I think not.

I mean it's like health agencies making public that neither the injection of horse hormones nor household cleaners will provide any protection against a virus.
It's actually common sense. Yet you will have always find some idiots attempting to drink bleach because someone told them to do so. Doesn't mean the original warning was pointless or even contra productive.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

A few posts ago you were making a big deal about taking things out of context. Horse hormones? Dude......

kingkaiser

No diversion, I’m trying to apply your logic to other ‘offensive’ material in the same game universe.

It’s a fair question to ask and one I note you haven’t yet answered
It's a question solely asked to divert from the original topic. All of the GTA games celebrate crime and violence to some degree. That's not the topic here, though.
It's about a very specific symbol, rooted in history. Used to this day by certain terrorist groups. Not just "offensive" material.

kingkaiser

A few posts ago you were making a big deal about taking things out of context. Horse hormones? Dude......
Oh, you don't know the reference. If you want clarification go visit the Covid thread. It must be buried somewhere there under a ton of conspiracy theories and other bullshit.

Topher

Gold Member
It's a question solely asked to divert from the original topic. All of the GTA games celebrate crime and violence to some degree. That's not the topic here, though.
It's about a very specific symbol, rooted in history. Used to this day by certain terrorist groups. Not just "offensive" material.
Oh, you don't know the reference. If you want clarification go visit the Covid thread. It must be buried somewhere there under a ton of conspiracy theories and other bullshit.

irony GIF

I don't remember it being there in the first place so clearly it's not something I'm going to miss now that it's gone. I would have been totally fine with them keeping it but them taking it out doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure there are bigger things that will probably annoy people (me included) that are changed but let's be real 99% of us haven't played these games in over 15 years and probably won't even notice the changes until someone points them out to cause a stir.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
It doesn't really matter, but (!) this censorship is so pussy and hypocritical in a game where you can do all kinds of other shit like mass murdering sprees of randoms, fuck and kill prostitutes, etc.

How is having something like that in the game even "normalizing" it? Either you already know what this thing means or you don't. If someone already knows what it is then they probably know it's not a good thing. If somebody DOESN'T know what it is then it won't mean anything to them.

Talk about a bunch of retardation.

Slightly reminds me of Zelda OOT removing an awesome track from the game (the Fire Temple that released with the original print of the game) just because it had a Muslim chant in it and they were afraid of offending some snowflake losers.

Anyways I don't think it's really a big deal (the OOT thing was a much worse removal as the track they replaced it with was shit compared to the original) but I still think it's a puss move.

CitizenZ

Banned
You LEARN from history, not erase. If it has been erased, can we just start over from where real men and women escaped tyranny and fought for freedom for everyone?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't mind them removing it. It's pointless and in today's day and age nothing but a provocative symbol.

Satire is dead. I hope Rockstar doesn't make Resident Evil 4 VR levels of changes. I'll pass on the game and never look back.

Being lectured about echo chambers, fragility and dumbassery, not to mention actual history, by swarms of REEEturners coming outta the goddamn walls..

Fuck Cerium man.
giphy.gif

People from planet Reset are a weird. Their purple world got rocked so some came back to annoy.

Top Bottom