• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Trilogy Remake Reportedly Making "Content Changes" for "Modern Audiences"

Sybrix

I really wish people on both sides would stop feeling the need to cater to the outrage mob. Just do what you want and let the chips fall where they may.
Problem is, the cater to each mob is a legitimate business decision now.

I think this news is more worrying than first thought, it’s been nearly 10 years since a new GTA game came out, the world has moved on hugely, gone are to are the days where Jack Thompson would get enraged and push up GTA sales.

Outrages these days spread like wildfire that can make companies change decisions to please those who shout the loudest

Last edited:

Barakov

I still have my doubts that this enhanced trilogy even exists in the first place so take this with a small grain of salt. There are also MANY other sites reporting the same information. You already know who the “modern audiences” are. If this is legitimate and they really do make changes or censor the classic GTA games, then I can imagine there will be a backlash from fans. Will Rockstar give in? I wouldn’t be really surprise me if they did with this crazy generation we live in.
Im Out Morgan Freeman GIF

clem84

Gold Member
There was a classic movie recently that was taken down from a streaming service because of "racist depictions". I think it was Gone with the Wind. They ended up putting the movie back up but with a disclaimer that addressed the problematic parts of the movie. Wouldn't it be simpler to do this for games that have dated and slightly problematic content? That way they wouldn't have to change anything and people would have no excuses to whine about it. This game is 20 years old. If you don't want your precious ego offended, don't play it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I really wish people on both sides would stop feeling the need to cater to the outrage mob. Just do what you want and let the chips fall where they may.
Companies’ leadership have been sold the myth that modern (but extreme) D&I improves productivity (it also helps to divide the workforce and focuses one against the other instead of looking together at your anti labour practices) and as a thread started by GuinGuin GuinGuin was kind of touching they feel like their business is tied to social media hype and loud online outrage mobs hurt the online media hype cycle so are bad for business.

Also, modern society is based on very few mega large online communities and as long as social mobs are tolerated there many companies will bend.

ShadowNate

As of yet, there's no news here. No announcements, just rumours.

Even though the changes for "modern audiences" has been used to justify content cuts (dialogue, imagery) in remasters, and worse in updates, this is just "someone said someone else said on twitter" reliable at the moment. And even if true, it could still be innocuous quality of life changes (one can hope).

I still and probably always will maintain that a remaster should aim for being the definitive version of a game. So content cuts, no no, content restoration, yes please.

Shubh_C63

There was a classic movie recently that was taken down from a streaming service because of "racist depictions". I think it was Gone with the Wind. They ended up putting the movie back up but with a disclaimer that addressed the problematic parts of the movie. Wouldn't it be simpler to do this for games that have dated and slightly problematic content? That way they wouldn't have to change anything and people would have no excuses to whine about it. This game is 20 years old. If you don't want your previous ego offended, don't play it.
Yup like how I heard WB managed their racist depictions in old cartoons compared to Disney which outright nuked it.

Neilg

Update to modern audiences means game being ajusted for this time because something that was acceptable decades ago ain't acceptable now.

I dont think modern audiences find 15 minute long missions with zero checkpoints and having to drive halfway across the map to try again 'acceptable'.

Adjusted for modern audiences means changing the game in a way that better aligns with what sells these days. Modern games still have dumb sexist humor, but they also have mid mission checkpoints, the ability to save anywhere, and much better controls.
They didn't say they were going to update to be more socially responsible.

They still might, but my point is one of these seems far more likely than the other. If the gameplay remains completely unchanged but they make it woke and remove prostitutes, the old games exist, and there's no point to anyone buying this. Nobody at rockstar had to see this thread to know how that's going to go down.
If they massively overhaul how it plays and make it feel more like modern games, integrate them all in a fun way etc, people will have a reason to double dip. They will then make an astronomical sum of money.
You're dealing with people who's job it is to make as much money as humanly possible. They're not that out of touch.
If they're re-recording dialogue I could see them removing a few words here and there - a performative nod to 'trying' without really changing anything meaningful. it's not that big of a deal to switch to calling someone 'fucker'.

BlackTron

I've never used the term "woke" before but I believe if something needs to be changed because it's no longer socially accepted, then I'm okay with it. Times change, people change, ideas change. Just because it was okay at the time, doesn't mean it's not offensive in today's world.

But GTA is literally a game about committing crimes, its content was never okay. There's a built-in mechanic that shows you how seriously the police are trying to hunt you down based on how many bad things you are doing.

In other words we have a game that is based on the premise of doing socially unacceptable things by design, trying to change because aspects of it are no longer socially accepted? No, it doesn't make any sense.

It'll be interesting to see what these changes are. GTA has always been tongue in cheek and offensive to everyone from what I remember. Anyway, I'll likely grab these day one. I never got to play San Andreas.

TLZ

Banned
I've never used the term "woke" before but I believe if something needs to be changed because it's no longer socially accepted, then I'm okay with it. Times change, people change, ideas change. Just because it was okay at the time, doesn't mean it's not offensive in today's world.
Make their own games then? Why sabotage the old? At least leave the older stuff for the older people alone.

GymWolf

Just because something was done a certain way in the past, doesn't mean it's not offensive. Times change, get used to it.
They are offensive today because people are sensible snowflakes, there is nothing wrong in some machismo or true gangster stuff or some violence.

Is it bad to beat pronstitutes with a bat but gun killing thousands of people is ok, gtfo...

The furry show or the child strippers show on netflix or the sheer amount of tik tok mongoloids are 100x times more disturbing than anything inside gta games.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

The gameplay of the series, since the first title, was always "not socially acceptable". It was intentionally designed as such, it was supposed to be fun (and it was for the people who loved the games) and not to be taken seriously.

There were always reactions to it from people who didn't like the games, or were trying to make the case that these games made gamers into serial killers or whatever.

The gameplay of GTA did not suddenly become unacceptable the recent years. What has changed is the pressure from no-fun nutjobs and how much companies take it now into consideration (due to twitter mobs and trashfire dumps like 'era).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not sure who is more annoying, the whiny woke dipshits or the dumbshits who waste so much time whining about the woke shit. Equally tiresome and pathetic is probably the answer.
So imagine how we felt about people like you that are not interested but they still need to show their moral superiority anyway?! (Or what the fuck are you trying to do here).

This is a forum, people post news to get a reaction, if you want something different i'm sure there is a subreddit about gerbils where nobody whine abouth nothing.

Jaysen

Banned
So imagine how we felt about people like you that are not interested but they still need to show their moral superiority anyway?! (Or what the fuck are you trying to do here).

This is a forum, people post news to get a reaction, if you want something different i'm sure there is a subreddit about gerbils where nobody whine abouth nothing.
Translation - please don’t call me out for whining about shit that hasn’t even happened yet.

But GTA is literally a game about committing crimes, its content was never okay. There's a built-in mechanic that shows you how seriously the police are trying to hunt you down based on how many bad things you are doing.

In other words we have a game that is based on the premise of doing socially unacceptable things by design, trying to change because aspects of it are no longer socially accepted? No, it doesn't make any sense.
I get that. We don't even know what changed yet, so why are we already upset?

By the way, I don't get offended by old things. I see when it was made and I understand why it was done a certain way as it was normal for the time. Same thing with watching older movies. I accept that it's an older movie, I'm not going to give it a hard time for that.

However, if something is being remade in a more modern tone, then yeah I expect some changes.

BlackTron

I get that. We don't even know what changed yet, so why are we already upset?

By the way, I don't get offended by old things. I see when it was made and I understand why it was done a certain way as it was normal for the time. Same thing with watching older movies. I accept that it's an older movie, I'm not going to give it a hard time for that.

However, if something is being remade in a more modern tone, then yeah I expect some changes.

I'm aware that we don't even know what the changes are yet, but I was replying specifically to your statement that it's reasonable to expect differences due to changes in what is socially acceptable. Just because we don't know whether they are doing it or not, doesn't mean it would make sense if they did as you suggested.

My point stands that given the entire premise of GTA is that it wasn't socially acceptable, it makes no sense whatsoever here.

If they remove killing prostitutes, does that mean that killing prostitutes was more acceptable back then, than it is now?

Of course not, it was always fucked up, and that was always GTA's brand. For them to start making changes based on social acceptance would be an upheaval of GTA. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it would be like South Park changing its tone to be more acceptable. It was NEVER acceptable, by design!!

Jaysen

Banned
I'm aware that we don't even know what the changes are yet, but I was replying specifically to your statement that it's reasonable to expect differences due to changes in what is socially acceptable. Just because we don't know whether they are doing it or not, doesn't mean it would make sense if they did as you suggested.

My point stands that given the entire premise of GTA is that it wasn't socially acceptable, it makes no sense whatsoever here.

If they remove killing prostitutes, does that mean that killing prostitutes was more acceptable back then, than it is now?

Of course not, it was always fucked up, and that was always GTA's brand. For them to start making changes based on social acceptance would be an upheaval of GTA. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it would be like South Park changing its tone to be more acceptable. It was NEVER acceptable, by design!!
Who said they’re doing any of that? Updating the game can simply mean ray tracing, better framerates etc etc. There’s no reason to get preemptively mad about something that hasn’t actually happened. That’s usually the purview of the purple people.

I dont think modern audiences find 15 minute long missions with zero checkpoints and having to drive halfway across the map to try again 'acceptable'.

I doubt they will rework missions to do something like this. just look at the crappy "updates" they did in the past for these older games. This is just content removal/censoring.
modern audiences find 15 minute long missions with zero checkpoints are fine without checkpoints, look at all the popular rogue like/souls games

Last edited:

BlackTron

Who said they’re doing any of that? Updating the game can simply mean ray tracing, better framerates etc etc. There’s no reason to get preemptively mad about something that hasn’t actually happened. That’s usually the purview of the purple people.

Dude did you read the very first sentence of my post you quoted???

Fox Mulder

I doubt they’ll gut the games. Even something like the Faggio scooter is still in current GTA. These games can probably be altered a bit to bring them more up to current gameplay and feel less dated. Like everyone hates the RC missions.

I’m more concerned with quality. The remastered San Andreas port that has been on sale for years is a shocking piece of shit.

Last edited:

Neilg

I doubt they will rework missions to do something like this. just look at the crappy "updates" they did in the past for these older games. This is just content removal/censoring.
modern audiences find 15 minute long missions with zero checkpoints are fine without checkpoints, look at all the popular rogue like/souls games

Souls games have shortcuts and are carefully designed around that experience, they're not even remotely comparable.

nbkicker

Bit early to see, although if it does change something and you dont agree then stop giving them your money and dont buy it, for me im not intrested in gta anymore, would like red dead 2 on ps5 with higher textures etc, although would be funny if rockstar released the triology or gta v remaster for ps5 and made changes without telling anyone , would love to see the uproar on forums

Last edited:

Fake

There is folks. Your GTA6 preview.

Make their own games then? Why sabotage the old? At least leave the older stuff for the older people alone.

You're wasting your time with those members.
They don't care. They whining about whiners. They say no changes will happen, and even if have, don't matter and you should't be worry because 'gamers'. Not that gamers, but gamers.

In fact, you bring a good point over the thread.

'Why change instead of make a new IP?'

Simple, because they know would flop. They know forcing something into a stabilish franchise is an easy way of putting things.

Remember female Link? Why we need a female Link when Zelda can transform into a badass Sheik?

Saint Row reboot? Tom Clancy’s XDefiant?

None have the guts to make a new IP, so instead they make a totally new IP using a name of a well know franchise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom