• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V modding thread

SliChillax

Thought I would make a guide for people thinking about modding but aren't sure how to do so safely. This method SHOULD be safe. It's also the easiest method I know of.

1. Download Bilago's mod manager and set it up: https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/gtav-mod-manager
2. I recommend you enable the disable mods on exit option and the block gta5.exe with the firewall option just for safety
3. Download ScriptHook (needed for most mods): https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/script-hook-v
4. Place scripthookv.dll and dinput8.dll into the mod folder created by the mod manager in step 1
5. Download OpenIV (needed for many mods): http://openiv.com/?cat=23
6. Install OpenIV and leave it for now (until you need it for mods)
7. Some mods may also need a Lua plugin for ScriptHook. It should tell you in the mod installation instructions on the page. You can get it here: http://gtaforums.com/topic/789139-vrelhook-lua-plugin-for-script-hook-v/ Just place the files in your mod folder again. You need lua_sdk, main.lua, and the libs folder
8. Download any mod you like from https://www.gta5-mods.com/

If the mod needs RPF editing:
9a. Copy the update.rpf file from your GTA directory to another folder on your computer. Maybe where you installed the mod manager
9b. Open the rpf file with OpenIV.
9c. Follow the instructions on the mod page to copy over the files necessary to the rpf
9d. You'll get a warning that you need openiv.asi. Click ok and copy the file over to the mod folder created by the mod manager
9e. Open the mod manager, click import rpf, then follow the wizard. Choose your modded rpf, the normal rpf in the updates folder, and the name it anything
9f. To test it out, open the game through the mod manager and check your main installation folder. There should be a new rpf file and one with a .original suffix

If the mod only needs ScriptHook:
10a. Download the mod and paste the files inside the scripts folder in your mods folder created by the mod manager. Follow any mod instructions

Hopefully that's clear. I found it difficult to get the rpf stuff to work with the manager, and finding a good guide was a little hard. This is far better than doing it all manually. Ain't nobody got that time.

For more info on the mod manager go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheft...1/release_version_gtav_mod_manager_by_bilago/

fake edit: just realised there's now a tutorial video lol. Still going to post this though. Screw it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=305&v=i22l1pEZ9u0

I managed to get everything right until the parkour mod install. I want to install the Visual V mod which does not have a .lua file. How do I do that?

Edit: Apparently with the LUA and Native Trainer successfully installed, I cannot launch the game. It says Value cannot be Null, Parameter name: Path

Enco

I managed to get everything right until the parkour mod install. I want to install the Visual V mod which does not have a .lua file. How do I do that?

Edit: Apparently with the LUA and Native Trainer successfully installed, I cannot launch the game. It says Value cannot be Null, Parameter name: Path
The Visual V mod seems to only be an rpf edit.

So you need to open your copied update.rpf file, open it with OpenIV, then add in the files from the mod. Then follow the mod managers wizard to use it.

The parkour mod is only a lua file so place that in the addins folder created by the mod manager. Not sure why you're getting the launch error I'm afraid.

edit: you can try the 'Add Mod' button for the lua file. Not tested it but maybe it'll work automatically.

SliChillax

So you need to open your copied update.rpf file, open it with OpenIV, then add in the files from the mod. Then follow the mod managers wizard to use it.

The parkour mod is only a lua file so place that in the addins folder created by the mod manager. Not sure why you're getting the launch error I'm afraid.

I have no idea how to do any of that so I'll just give up, don't have the nerves to do all this. Thanks for the help btw.

Enco

I have no idea how to do any of that so I'll just give up, don't have the nerves to do all this. Thanks for the help btw.
No problem.

I don't blame you lol. It's not at all a user friendly thing to do. It's a shame to see the state of modding now and think about what could have been if R* provided full modding support.

The game would be so mindblowingly awesome.

If you ever change your mind, maybe this video will help.

edit: you can try the 'Add Mod' button for the lua file. Not tested it but maybe it'll work automatically.

How do you do that in OpenIV?? It seems to just be locked to the GTA V install path and I can only modify that update.rpf.

edit: Nevermind.

Enco

How do you do that in OpenIV?? It seems to just be locked to the GTA V install path and I can only modify that update.rpf.

edit: Nevermind.
In case anyone else is wondering, click the open existing archive button (second from left - looks like a folder).

Branson

You're going to want to make sure it hasn't done things like disable Windows Defender / edit your registries (which it did to my buddy who had his money, steam account items etc stolen because of it).
I installed the angry planes mod so how the fuck do I check this shit?
Windows defender was on. Am I ok?

I don't know what happened but now I can't launch online. I can launch SP but when I click GTA Online in the mod manager, I get a err_gen_invalid error from GTA5.exe.

I modded the RPF files and I imported the modded one into the program and the original rpf file is in the default directory.

I don't know what happened but now I can't launch online. I can launch SP but when I click GTA Online in the mod manager, I get a err_gen_invalid error from GTA5.exe.

I modded the RPF files and I imported the modded one into the program and the original rpf file is in the default directory.

Is Script Hook still in your directory?

Is Script Hook still in your directory?

No, those files are in the GTA V Mods folder created by the GTA Mod Manager.

I think I've got it working. i just simply deleted GTA5.exe and ran the launcher which forced it to redownload the update. The game booted up now. Now I"ll be trying out the manager to see if it works with swapping the RPF files. The modded RPF has the removed intro video so I can see if it works quickly without booting up the whole game.

Edit: Dammit it's still not working... I don't get it..

This is what I did:

I made a copy of Update.rpf and common.rpf(I haven't actually edited it yet though) and pasted them in the C: drive for easy access. These two files will be my "modded" rpfs.

I opened them up with OpenIV and edited them and rebuilt them. I then opened up the manager, clicked import modded rpfs and then the first option is to choose the modded rpf which would be in the C: drive. The second option is to choose the update.rpf which is the one in the install directory and then I set a name for it and hit accept. I then click single player and the game boots up with the intro video even though I replaced it.

No, those files are in the GTA V Mods folder created by the GTA Mod Manager.

I think I've got it working. i just simply deleted GTA5.exe and ran the launcher which forced it to redownload the update. The game booted up now. Now I"ll be trying out the manager to see if it works with swapping the RPF files. The modded RPF has the removed intro video so I can see if it works quickly without booting up the whole game.

Edit: Dammit it's still not working... I don't get it..

This is what I did:

I made a copy of Update.rpf and common.rpf(I haven't actually edited it yet though) and pasted them in the C: drive for easy access. These two files will be my "modded" rpfs.

I opened them up with OpenIV and edited them and rebuilt them. I then opened up the manager, clicked import modded rpfs and then the first option is to choose the modded rpf which would be in the C: drive. The second option is to choose the update.rpf which is the one in the install directory and then I set a name for it and hit accept. I then click single player and the game boots up with the intro video even though I replaced it.

Don't rebuild, it tends to make things less stable. And what you're doing sounds a little overly complicated, and is probably why you're encountering issues. Delete whichever files you've modified, then use Steam (if you're using a Steam copy) to verify your cache integrity, forcing it to re-download the deleted files. Then see if online works.

Also, I'd recommend just making a copy of your unmodded files to a separate directory, then when you want to go online, just make a separate copy of the modded versions, and paste the original versions back. Personally, I don't use a mod manager because of the issues I've seen crop up for those who do use them. Until we get something like Mod Organizer or at least Nexus Mod Manager for GTA, I'd recommend just doing things manually.

Don't rebuild, it tends to make things less stable. And what you're doing sounds a little overly complicated, and is probably why you're encountering issues. Delete whichever files you've modified, then use Steam (if you're using a Steam copy) to verify your cache integrity, forcing it to re-download the deleted files. Then see if online works.

Also, I'd recommend just making a copy of your unmodded files to a separate directory, then when you want to go online, just make a separate copy of the modded versions, and paste the original versions back. Personally, I don't use a mod manager because of the issues I've seen crop up for those who do use them. Until we get something like Mod Organizer or at least Nexus Mod Manager for GTA, I'd recommend just doing things manually.

Yup, I just manually copied over the rpf file to the directory and it worked. I won't bother with the manager, it's not quite there yet. I have a batch file that can turn on the script hooks on and off so I can do that easily. I'll just have to remember to switch the rpf files back and forth for online play.

Vuze

Yup, I just manually copied over the rpf file to the directory and it worked. I won't bother with the manager, it's not quite there yet. I have a batch file that can turn on the script hooks on and off so I can do that easily. I'll just have to remember to switch the rpf files back and forth for online play.
You could just add that to the batch too, that's what I do.
Have the original untouched update.rpf named update.org in the update folder alongside the modded update.rpf and just let them rename via batch. So far I had no issues whatsoever using my two simple batch files (activate + deactivate mods) and I prefer them over any mod manager that's out there for the time being since I exactly know how it works and what it does.

You could just add that to the batch too, that's what I do.
Have the original untouched update.rpf named update.org in the update folder alongside the modded update.rpf and just let them rename via batch. So far I had no issues whatsoever using my two simple batch files (activate + deactivate mods) and I prefer them over any mod manager that's out there for the time being since I exactly know how it works and what it does.
Can you give me the batch code?

Vuze

Can you give me the batch code?
You mean the whole batch or just the renaming stuff?
It's really just the rename command I'm using in a probably inefficient way :p

use modded file (current file that is named update.rpf is the vanilla file):
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\update\"
ren update.rpf update.org
ren update.mod update.rpf

use original file (current file that is named update.rpf is the modded file):
ren update.rpf update.mod
ren update.org update.rpf

You mean the whole batch or just the renaming stuff?
It's really just the rename command I'm using in a probably inefficient way :p

use modded file (current file that is named update.rpf is the vanilla file):

use original file (current file that is named update.rpf is the modded file):

Thanks. Works perfectly.

Now to get this working through Steam...
Edit: Got this working great.

If anyone wants to see, this is my batch

Mods ON
Code:
ren .\dsound.dll.disabled dsound.dll
ren .\dinput8.dll.disabled dinput8.dll
ren .\ScriptHookV.dll.disabled ScriptHookV.dll
cd "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GTAV\update\"
cd "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GTAV\"
PlayGTAV.exe
pause
Your directory for GTA V may be different as for me I have the Rockstar warehouse version so I just installed it in the steam folder with the other games for organizational purposes.

The command for renaming dsound.dll.disabled doesn't work since I don't have it so you can erase the first line if you don't have it either.

Mods OFF
Code:
ren .\dsound.dll dsound.dll.disabled
ren .\dinput8.dll dinput8.dll.disabled
ren .\ScriptHookV.dll ScriptHookV.dll.disabled

cd "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GTAV\update\"
cd "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GTAV\"
PlayGTAV.exe
pause

Looks like texture modding is possible now.

gJVXhhl.png

Vuze

Looks like texture modding is possible now.

http://i.imgur.com/gJVXhhl.png/IMG][/QUOTE]
Excellent, I know what I'll be fiddling with when I'm home :D I really hope some talented texture artist will recreate higher res skins for the main characters, especially Trevor and Michael look rather eh imo.

Literally burned up my TwinFrozr 780. So look out for that, I guess.
Started chopping like mad when I was Nice Flying Franklin over the beach on my way to kill the second target in this mission. Suspect it might have had something to do with it not wanting to deal with rendering stuff so quickly after having run the game for ~2 hours/maybe my card was particularly shit. Imagined there'd be safeguards that would shut things off long before there was a risk of something like this happening. Computer eventually did black screen and reboot, but that was like 10 seconds too late.

I'm still under warranty and have an old 570 to use in the meantime, so out of the things that could have burned up, this was the best one. I'd be somewhat less chipper otherwise. And I noticed 780's have basically gotten phased out, so might get a 970 out of this if I'm lucky.

Man, electronics fucking smell when they go. Like the defcon 1 version of this. A metallic, headachey no-good-for-you kind of stank. Have to sit in the opposite corner of the apartment with your head out the window for an hour or two while you evacuate air out of the contaminated room as best you can. Took a dump right after it happened and the only fumes I could smell were fried electronics.

Compsiox

Banned
Just learned about the trojans in the mods and only just removed it -_-. I hope having all my passwords saved into google will keep them from getting at anything critical.

Just learned about the trojans in the mods and only just removed it -_-. I hope having all my passwords saved into google will keep them from getting at anything critical.

If I were you I'd change 'em (but only once you know for sure that your system is clean) regardless of them being autosaved.
Better to be overly cautious than overly lax, imo :)

I wish someone would make the motion blur in this game constant and not just active when you're holding the camera with the analog stick.

It's so beautiful. I've got it turned up to 100x the normal maximum to exaggerate it (and it's obviously less noticable in motion) but it's such a nice implementation.

Just tested it, instantly didn't like it. Feels nothing like IV, its physics definitely don't translate over to the engine changes in V. The Rocoto will completely flip at 30mph or so, and I can make the Tailgater drive on two wheels going around a corner. It's even more exaggerated than IV.

Stet

Banned
Motherfucker. The only mod I'd like is one that makes it so when you buy an expensive vehicle online and start a mission with it,it doesn't completely disappear from your garage forever.

Vuze

I foresee far more machinima possibilities opening up with the new Simple Trainer.

[IMGhttp://orig10.deviantart.net/76cb/f/2015/146/c/b/gtav_1_by_jax765-d8utjly.gif[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://orig08.deviantart.net/63ac/f/2015/146/0/0/gtav_2_by_jax765-d8utks1.gif[/IMG]

wtf this one got animations etc.?! I saw it on gta5mods today but the single screenshot the author uploaded seemed super lame so I didn't even bother lol... thanks for the heads up will get this one asap and hope I can finally ditch Endeavour Mod for animations then.

E: A pretty neat mod I installed today is Real Phones HD (https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/real-phones). Replaces the phone icons with higher resolution equivalents of iOS, Android and Windows Phone. I hope the author figures out how to mod the brand names soon, so Michael can finally have an iPhone :p

wtf this one got animations etc.?! I saw it on gta5mods today but the single screenshot the author uploaded seemed super lame so I didn't even bother lol... thanks for the heads up will get this one asap and hope I can finally ditch Endeavour Mod for animations then.

E: A pretty neat mod I installed today is Real Phones HD (https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/real-phones). Replaces the phone icons with higher resolution equivalents of iOS, Android and Windows Phone. I hope the author figures out how to mod the brand names soon, so Michael can finally have an iPhone :p

I'm fairly sure it has every animation in the game. Only problem is the shitty categorization so you have to scroll through a bunch of obtuse filenames.

Also you can spawn peds/bodyguards, and assign animations, behaviour and outfits to them. Plus you can customize each character freely and save your outfits, letting you easily load them up when Franklin inevitably changes into a shitty tracksuit everytime you switch to him.

So far, it definitely outstrips the Enhanced Trainer in terms of features, but the UI is still shitty by comparison. That trainer is far neater, better organized and nicer to look at.

Vuze

I'm fairly sure it has every animation in the game. Only problem is the shitty categorization so you have to scroll through a bunch of obtuse filenames.

Also you can spawn peds/bodyguards, and assign animations, behaviour and outfits to them. Plus you can customize each character freely and save your outfits, letting you easily load them up when Franklin inevitably changes into a shitty tracksuit everytime you switch to him.

So far, it definitely outstrips the Enhanced Trainer in terms of features, but the UI is still shitty by comparison. That trainer is far neater, better organized and nicer to look at.
Yep, just played around with it. I'll stick to Enhanced Native Trainer for "everday needs" and will keep the Simple Trainer for animations, model/ped spawning stuff.

Zeth

What's the best trainer at this point? Endeavor? Enhanced? I think I have Enhanced v4 or something, looks like it's up to 8.

Enhanced Native Trainer, definitely. Combine it with Simple Trainer if you need more in-depth features like animations, prop spawning etc but as stated above the UI is a mess by comparison. Enhanced is super sleek.

Doesn't help that the Simple Trainer creator is too stubborn to take filenames from the Enhanced Trainer, which would clean up stuff like the character model list immensely (ST has the original obtuse filenames, ET has them renamed and easy to sort through and find particular models). I understand why, but it just makes his UI even more terrible the way it currently is.

What's the best trainer at this point? Endeavor? Enhanced? I think I have Enhanced v4 or something, looks like it's up to 8.

Try version 18 lol.

Top Bottom