• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 is The Best GTA game

Kurimao

San Andreas is the greatest GTA of all time
XjIAFjW.gif

ZehDon

Gold Member
If GTAIV had of committed to its serious story with lower stakes, I'd agree. The first couple of hours is Rockstar's best work - period. But, they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Rolling with Niko doing petty crimes to bail out your cousin from his debt, set in the world they built with GTAIV, would make for one hell of a game. But before you know it, you're doing GTA shit again: gunning down 50 people in a single mission, blowing up cars with rocket launches, nuking the entire police force during a bank robbery. The whole "Has Niko lost his soul?" grounded stakes falls flat under the sheer scale of the barbarism the game throws at you. GTAV revels in its insanity, and San Andreas goes all in on its premise. GTAIV hedged its bets, and its weaker for it.

Klik

GTA 4 physics/car damage wasn't perfect but it was miles better than GTA 5. I wish GTA 6 would be more like 4 than 5..Driving a car is kinda boring and too arcadey in 5.

Also can't wait for GTA to return in New York.If GTA 7 happens in NY, it will probably be released in 7-10 years in time for PS6.Can't even imagine what they would do with(hypotheticaly) 16/32c CPU,32gb+ RAM, 60TF+ GPU, ultra fast 15gb+/sec SSD

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
i dont know how you guys feel but i am so full of gta after hearing a decade only gta v, gta v, gta v.

I wouldnt give a shit if gta 6 never releases. Especially since dan houser is gone. I dont think the new rockstar has what it takes to pull off a Rdr 2 at all again. Especially gta was always satirical of american politics in a fun way. You think they will do that now? They could rockstar is to big to fail but lets be honest the new Rockstar sucks.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Im a straight up GTA III guy myself. I think thats the best GTA in the series and will always hold a special place in my heart.

i dont know how you guys feel but i am so full of gta after hearing a decade only gta v, gta v, gta v.

I wouldnt give a shit if gta 6 never releases. Especially since dan houser is gone. I dont think the new rockstar has what it takes to pull off a Rdr 2 at all again. Especially gta was always satirical of american politics in a fun way. You think they will do that now? They could rockstar is to big to fail but lets be honest the new Rockstar sucks.

amigastar

I like GTA Chinatown Wars.
Although it may not be the best GTA its pretty much up there with the best of them.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Erk. It's got ONE interesting mission in the whole game and the fact that you know exactly which one I'm talking about is evidence enough.

spons

Gold Member
You're not wrong. And if you have the chance, play it on Xbox through backwards compatibility, it's the best way to enjoy the game since it runs at a stable 60 FPS (I've heard shit about the PC version).

Josemayuste

I'm not gonna say that GTAIV is better than GTAV, but I definitely liked a lot the more grounded tone of IV's story and themes, driving mechanics, physics and main character, yes, I liked it more of how said stuff were achieved in IV.

Speaking of wich, this trailer..

Set the mood perfectly for what was about to come.

And this other one is one of my favourites of all time:

But let's not forget about the best main theme:

Jakk

Disagree. I get why some people prefer IV over V, but OP saying that V is a parody of the genre compared to IV is just ridiculous and it is a dead giveaway of OP either being a braindead fanboy or a troll.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nobugsbunnyno.mp3

it's the worst GTA game.

Niko always crys about how he wants to move on from killing and then whips out a rocket launcher and kills innocent people. The game is a blurry muddy grey dull mess. GTA III/VC/SA/V are peak GTA.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
GTAIV is the best game because they legit tried to tell an actual story in an actual world. Not all gameplay mechanics work and of course replaying it now feels archaic in many ways, but at the time it was by far the most amazing videogame experience I had ever had.

GTAV is just satire upon satire upon satire, over the top and self-referential with literally everything.

Last edited:
As more time goes on I’m pretty sure it’s my favorite as well. I love Vice City for so many reasons, love San Andreas for so many reasons, even III and V are fun, and the two spin off stories. But IV it’s just incredible, it nails that gritty New York atmosphere feel so perfectly. I want them to release it on modern hardware. It doesn’t even need a remaster, just higher resolution and higher frame rate and I’m happy.

Last edited:

Filben

But before you know it, you're doing GTA shit again
not to mention the "do me ten favours and I'll give you a name so you can do him ten favours before actually progressing in the story" narrative structure.

Anyways, I've enjoyed all of them for their own merits. For me, there's no single best GTA.

stn

I prefer San Andreas first, then IV. Still need to go back and play Vice City more to see where that one would fit.

I grew up in the tri state area and spent lots of time in NY around the time this game came out. GTA IV is like a haven for me, a time capsule that lets me go back to the mid 00s and remember the good times. I agree that it's the best GTA without a doubt and I did play all the 3D era originals back at their launches. III blew me away when it first came out but the controls and gameplay of the originals really is rough to play after experiencing IV. I disagree with the people who believe IV was a downgrade because it didn't have say planes or the map didn't cover as many cities as SA. Do you people remember what a "city" looked like in that game? Lol it was like the size of Hove Beach with awful detail and fidelity. The jump from SA to IV in terms of scale and sheer density is nuts and we'll never see a jump like that again.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GTA 4 had the grand theft auto spirt, GTAV came along and had a different western culture red neck gangster life with no real order of a mafia, or GTA traditions.

Drew1440

San Andreas/Liberty City Stories was the pinnacle of the series for me, GTA IV looked promising but Rockstar's mission design was getting long in the tooth, plus I felt the game tried too hard to be realistic.
I remember one mission where you had to drive to another island within Liberty City and you have to sit and wait in toll booth traffic, and if you failed the mission you had to repeat it all over again. It's bad enough we have to put up with this shit in real life, why on earth would I want to re-experience that in a videogame.
Thankfully Saints Row 2 came out which was much more fun whilst maintaining its grittiness.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

I have fond memories of it but it ain't good.

Ballad of Gay Tony though? That shit was HEAT. Throwing out shapes in the club, catching hands in the fight club, going on drug missions. 🔥🔥🔥

bender

What time is it?
-Terrible characters
-Laughably predictable story capped off by the last mission taking place at the Statue of Liberty because of course it does
-Worst radio stations in series history
-Horrible talk radio
-Side activities replaced by the likes of bowling with Roman.
-Collectables that netted in base rewards replaced by shooting a bunch of pigeons
-A massive varied world replaced by a layout that rivals Vice City in dullness but without the charm of the 80s aesthetic
-The juxtaposition of attempting a serious narrative along with the sophomoric dick-and-balls jokes littered through the world and ends up failing in both regards

It's easily the worst 3D GTA and I'm no fan of GTA V but at least the world was interesting to traverse.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
-Terrible characters
-Laughably predictable story capped off by the last mission taking place at the Statue of Liberty because of course it does
-Worst radio stations in series history
-Horrible talk radio
-Side activities replaced by the likes of bowling with Roman.
-Collectables that netted in base rewards replaced by shooting a bunch of pigeons
-A massive varied world replaced by a layout that rivals Vice City in dullness but without the charm of the 80s aesthetic
-The juxtaposition of attempting a serious narrative along with the sophomoric dick-and-balls jokes littered through the world and ends up failing in both regards

It's easily the worst 3D GTA and I'm no fan of GTA V but at least the world was interesting to traverse.
the-more-you-know-the-mo-you-know.gif

Top Bottom