• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes GBA pics...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Don't sack me if old...

gha_screen003.jpg

gha_screen002.jpg

gha_screen001.jpg

gha_screen006.jpg

gha_screen005.jpg

Meh. What happened to the cool character-design of the original??!? Those main characters look poor by comparison. Those enemies are from the first one, though.

Mrbob

OMGWTF.

It's Guardian Heroes with Gunstar Hero stick figure size character designs!

Give me a Saturn remake on a next gen console please!! :(

Guardian Heroes returns in a bastardized version. Meh.

GhaleonEB

Saturn 2D power >>>>>>>>>>> GBA 2D power -------------> Simplified visuals

Did you guys really expect the graphics to rival the original?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
*sacks BrandonF

Looks good to me, but then again I never played the original Saturn version

Mrbob

GhaleonEB said:
Saturn 2D power >>>>>>>>>>> GBA 2D power -------------> Simplified visuals

Did you guys really expect the graphics to rival the original?

Quothe Yamauchi, nevermore.

The old pimp said GBA 2D graphics would rival the Saturn!

GBAOWNED.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Musashi Wins! said:
This sucks. All signs point to greatly simplified sequel :(

I really am not happy with those character designs. I expected a variety of playable characters like the original, not palette swaps. But the bottom line is that this game will never be the original, so we shouldn't be expecting the same game.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
belgurdo said:
Treasure is dead

It's not the same Treasure as the 16 and 32 bit days, that's for sure. Unfortunately, they've released a lot of crap/mediocre games this generation.

nitewulf

yeah, the characters look stright out of gunstar heroes...this game wont have as many enemies per screen i assume? one of the best games i ever bought for my saturn, awesome experience.

Mrbob

Lyte Edge said:
I really am not happy with those character designs. I expected a variety of playable characters like the original, not palette swaps. But the bottom line is that this game will never be the original, so we shouldn't be expecting the same game.

Yes we should be expecting a piece of shit now. I've been cautiously optimistic but after these screenshots I can't hold back anymore. It won't play as good as the Saturn version either. I don't need to play it to know by the style I can already tell it is a simplified version of GH.

Import it and let us know! :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think it looks good! A famitsu scan (I believe it was famitsu) from the old GAF showed what looked like a rather robust move list, so I don't think the gameplay will be all that stripped down.

Will our heroes no longer have weapons, however?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jesus, the gba can do better then that. that looks pretty fucking bad. shit, those shadows are absolutely terrible, it would look better with none at all

<------ huge fan of the original

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Give Treasure a break. When you're working with less resolution than NES/Famicom, let alone Saturn, what do you expect?

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
OMGWTF.

It's Guardian Heroes with Gunstar Hero stick figure size character designs!

Give me a Saturn remake on a next gen console please!! :(

Guardian Heroes returns in a bastardized version. Meh.
Truth is it was likely GBA sequel or no sequel. The benefit of 16bit budgets is that tiny firms can take risks on a game they with little market potential that they truly want to make. Besides, AstroBoy turned out amazing... I'll give Treasure the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what it looks like closer to release.

shuri

Banned
Astro is pretty average, sorry. And that game looks like it was made by people using DragonBasic and a cracked version of paintshop

jarrod

Banned
shuri said:
Astro is pretty average, sorry. And that game looks like it was made by people using DragonBasic and a cracked version of paintshop
How about trying it on an actual GBA instead?

nitewulf

TheAdamantShot said:
Sorry, but Gunstar Heroes has much better character designs.

uhh, i didnt make any comments about the quality of either. they look very similar to gunstar heroes, as opposed to guardian heroes which had vastly different looking characters. everything else is subjective anyway.
but truth be told, the game looks dissapointing to me, at this point. however with the raves im hearing about the import astroboy, im ready to pick up a GBA SP and some cheap games. and if this game turns out to be great then all the better for me.

You are sooooo wrong! The console version sucks it, not gba. Let's not get all CRAZY in our dissapointment.

is the PS2 version out?

callous

This doesn't look like the game I spent so many happy hours playing on my Saturn. I'm disappointed with the design.

GDGF

Soothsayer
These images really do make me sad, though. I've been hoping against hope that a Guardian Heroes game would be announced for the GBA, and this is what we get. Visually, there are no excuses for this. We know the GBA is capable of more than this. We know Treasure is capable of more than this. I only hope that it's way too early in development to make a clean judgement call.

(...and if that's not the case, I hope the gameplay is so blissful that I don't give a second thought to the below average graphics)

Eh, might as well post the pics at Magic Box as well.

gh04.jpg

gh05.jpg

gh06.jpg

gh07.jpg

gh08.jpg

gh09.jpg

gh02.jpg

So the character selections are pretty different. I really do like these screens over the other ones. I'm starting to really warm up to this game.

Top Bottom