• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Is a Significantly Smaller Download on PS5

Aenima

Details for those who aren’t aware of the size difference...

Great stuff. Before the nex gen consoles came out there was alot expeculation about game sizes, and because we was already reaching 100GB in some PS4/Xbox One games ppl expected next gen games to take around 100GB to 200GB. Instead we are getting games with half the size of previous gen versions. Awesomesauce.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great stuff. Before the nex gen consoles came out there was alot expeculation about game sizes, and because we was already reaching 100GB in some PS4/Xbox One games ppl expected next gen games to take around 100GB to 200GB. Instead we are getting games with half the size of previous gen versions. Awesomesauce.
rPa4rZq.gif

It pays to listen to the engineering adults in the room at their GDC talks.

leo-j

This is why the 825GB SSD never seemed like as big of an issue for me. Sure, it would be if the games were about 80GB still, but as time goes on we already seeing more Devs will utilise the compression techniques available and we already starting to see massive decreases in Game Sizes compared to PC and last Gen consoles.
It takes a toll when games are 50gb or larger tho. Demons Souls, being an example of one of those. I believe ps4 games re also horribly big for no reason. GT sport is like 110GB. I am hoping lengthy ps5 games can stay near 35gb or less, because I can barely manage 10 games on the SSD. And deleting snd re downloading is such a hassle.

dok1or

I just cant understand why on PCs it's nearly 100GB
Its not.
When preload started it asked me around 60GB of free space for instalation.
Prelaod is 20GB.
If its bigger it would not allow me to install it, preload or not! I had 79 GB free on SSD

Last game - Far Cry 6 - sys req sad 60GB, and game without HD textures is 39.5 GB!

Last edited:
This is good stuff. Its funny in a way that noone (among system architects) has really bothered to try and optimize this before now, because its such an obvious net positive for overall user experience/

It's because the price of NAND was prohibitively expensive before now.

Kerotan

Cerny is a god.

Seriously they played a blinder here. Got us an ssd but naturally couldn't do a huge one so they come up with this genius solution.

This huge savings in memory. That 800gb looks mighty as fuck compared to the 1TB when all the games are 25%-50% smaller. A smaller faster SSD with better IO was officially the right choice.

Impressive what Sony did. Marketing team was probably begging on their knees.
“PLEASE, WE NEED TO PUT 1TB ON THE BOX, DONT DO THIS TO US”

That being said the xbox marketing team was like
“Xbox Series X? Go fuck yourselfs, atleast not Series V?”

Shmunter

Might not necessarily be dev laziness. Could be that both versions of the game use the same assets but sample the files differently depending on the hardware profile. MS is definitely leaning toward separate high-res package approach sometimes used on PC, but even there it isn't always an option.
Begs to reason that if the same assets are used on S and X then the 16gig X is being underutilized compared to the 10gig S. Sure, it will render with increased rez and effects - but that's just basics.

onQ123

Begs to reason that if the same assets are used on S and X then the 16gig X is being underutilized compared to the 10gig S. Sure, it will render with increased rez and effects - but that's just basics.
But you need more RAM to render at higher resolutions

DaGwaphics

Doesn't necessarily work out that way anyway. The S may never be touching the highest res mips, etc. Some games just aren't built with two different asset sets. Tons of games on PC that have a single download and you'll be working with those files whether you are 720p or 4k. Obviously, there are the others where there is a separate package for higher fidelity graphics. Definitely that's the way they it should be done on the S and X, and MS seems to be trying to lead with that example. Who knows though, maybe that is harder to do than it looks with all the different engines and everything.

Top Bottom