• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games Studio Director Angie Smets is starting a new role as Head of Development Strategy at PlayStation

I think that is a good use of it, they just need to allocate significant capacity and smart people at supporting other studios and integrating their updates as each will want to evolve it. There is a cost to it.
It might also be a play to set Guerilla up to offer Decima to studios developing exclusives (PS5 + PC).

Anyways, I think some studios might jump at the opportunity and for some of them it might be a good match in the future. Right now Sony is partnering with Epic for UE5 use so not sure they want Decima to compete with UE5 (it is a good partnership for Sony to have with third parties that also need to support Xbox).
Decima currently d’ore not support Xbox officially… I do wonder whether it should or not, it could have a niche alongside UE5 if it did not and it prioritised PS5 and PC in that order though.

I think Decima, if handeled properly, iterated on and polished, could serve as an additional argument to entice some studios, small to mid-sized ones, to develop for the PS5. They get a high parc of consoles to target, and an egine ready to be used, which could be further tailored to their specific needs (I would imagine that it is quite flexible).

Last edited:

TVexperto

It coasts by on its graphics and the admittedly cool creatures, but the gameplay and story are painfully mediocre. That's why people stopped talking about a few months after release, while a game like Witcher 3 still gets talked about today.

It coasts by on its graphics and the admittedly cool creatures, but the gameplay and story are painfully mediocre. That's why people stopped talking about a few months after release, while a game like Witcher 3 still gets talked about today.

The Witcher 3 has bad gameplay, however. The floating character, the imprecise animations, the lack of impact when Geralt hits an ennemy...I found it absolutely horrible. I also disliked the voice acting and characters' animations in-game, and during cutscenes. I was told repeatedly that it had brilliant side quests, and an engrossing plot, but truth be told, I started it twice and ended up quitting around the 5-6 hours point both times.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think Decima, if handeled properly, iterated on and polished, could serve as an additional argument to entice some studios, small to mid-sized ones, to develop for the PS5. They get a high parc of consoles to target, and an egine ready to be used, which could be further tailored to their specific needs (I would imagine that it is quite flexible).
I agree, but what hurts is how much of an undertaking you are talking about it is. The more general you make the engine and the more studios you try to support and the more of their workflows you try to enable the more it will be difficult to have a smooth optimised workflow and efficiently running engine for any given task.

The reason some studios prefer writing their own engines is that it fits like a glove to the work they do, the employees they have, and the games they do and support tasks for other studios are not what tends to keep devs happy (it is sometimes quite a thankless job).

I just do not want to see Guerilla’s Decima engine and their games to suffer as a result, but I do admire them for trying (it is not like they do not have the skills or other studios could not help come up with other more custom engines succeeding Decima for internal use). Is PhyreEngine dead btw?

I agree, but what hurts is how much of an undertaking you are talking about it is. The more general you make the engine and the more studios you try to support and the more of their workflows you try to enable the more it will be difficult to have a smooth optimised workflow and efficiently running engine for any given task.

The reason some studios prefer writing their own engines is that it fits like a glove to the work they do, the employees they have, and the games they do and support tasks for other studios are not what tends to keep devs happy (it is sometimes quite a thankless job).

I just do not want to see Guerilla’s Decima engine and their games to suffer as a result, but I do admire them for trying (it is not like they do not have the skills or other studios could not help come up with other more custom engines succeeding Decima for internal use). Is PhyreEngine dead btw?

Valid points all around, although judging by that Guerilla tech guy's words, they seem to have some serious plans for the engine. I don't get it either, as I do not expect the engine to be as malleable as UE, but I wonder who else is using it, besides KojimaPro, and if this is really intended to be supported by other devs, or simply as a means for GG to feed its own future projects.
PhyreEngine? Wow, that is a name I have not heard in years!

Top Bottom