• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Strive - Reviews

kyoji

Games in general are lacking that.

Is it because developers are incompetent?
Or is it because they have no incentive due to having to pay a fee to Sony, which has the biggest userbase?

Just do some basic research first
dude what does borderlands have to do with namco arc system works and other prominent fighting games? theres literally multiple quotes from the ACTUAL DEVELOPER for STRIVE... cuz you know this is a strive thread...... as to reasons for no cross play yet you continue to ignore them so i guess they are lying? lmao.

at this point im just going to speculate youre a mod on a burner account :pie_eyeroll:

chriskun

If the accessibility opens the door to a bigger audience that is a good thing imo. Interested to see how much legs this game will have given time and once other fighters (i.e. Street Fighter) launch for PS5.
Yeah, for people who are new to the series guilty gear is completely impenetrable. Is this born free of youtube fame btw?

Rawker

I played the first GG to death on psx, spamming Justice with Chip until like 2am and I played up until Dreamcast via VGA with higher resolution. This series is masterful and I want to play it but I own an Xbox, wtf.

teezzy

Banned
Really want to give GG Strive a go. Everyone on my fighting game Discords wont shut up about it

$85 for Deluxe Edition though....

I'm so not used to dropping full price on games, let alone full price + season pass right off the bat

Not a sale in sight

825183746147221504.png

Vognerful

Some people waiting to see games that might release in the future in E3, while Sony is bringing an exclusive after and exclusive. Crazy!
I really doubt Sony can take credit of any of this, it is more that the dev/publisher did not bother to bring it to xbox (most fighting games, big or small, did not release on xbox).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Really want to give GG Strive a go. Everyone on my fighting game Discords wont shut up about it

$85 for Deluxe Edition though....

I'm so not used to dropping full price on games, let alone full price + season pass right off the bat

Not a sale in sight

825183746147221504.png
Dude just buy the most basic version..
master 1 char.
Then dip into all the dlc shit when season 5 is happening and all the other are in discount 🤣👌

Vognerful

do you understand.... the history of GG man? serious question it sounds like you dont though lol, where is sony trying to take credit for this? it is what it is though
Did you read what I was responding to?

"Some people waiting to see games that might release in the future in E3, while Sony is bringing an exclusive after and exclusive. Crazy!"

My response was for the statement of Bo where he did say this?

kyoji

Did you read what I was responding to?

"Some people waiting to see games that might release in the future in E3, while Sony is bringing an exclusive after and exclusive. Crazy!"

My response was for the statement of Bo where he did say this?
yea my bad i edited my post

kyoji

This game has historically been exclusive to playstation systems though for whatever reason(s) that maybe? only recently i think it started making its way to pc and only once did i come to xbox (i think GG X? dont quote me on that may have been xrd)

Pejo

Is somebody making an OT? I didn't see anything.

At any rate, let the PC version problems begin:

In preparation for our upcoming Steam launch, we wanted to share a brief notice regarding 4K resolution support.

Guilty Gear -Strive- does support 4K resolutions, however we are aware the game is experiencing severe slowdowns during specific situations in battle (generally when counter-hitting), and during specific scenes in Story Mode.

At this time, we would like to urge users to refrain from using 4K resolutions for online gameplay, while we continue to fix the issue. However, setting graphics quality to the lowest does help alleviate the issue a little.

We thank you all for your support of Guilty Gear -Strive-, and please stay tuned future updates.

Guilty Gear -Strive- Development Team

kyoji

Cool bro, did not catch your edit.

as a new comer to this game (fighting games are not my best genre), is it worth trying it early?
if you have the extra cash i highly recommend it man GG is a fun franchise thats easy enough to get into yet offers deep gameplay mechanics as you get better at the game. fighting games are amazing and allow for some of the most freedom of expression in play style as well as theory crafting as opposed to almost any other genre in gaming.

They are alot deeper than just button mashing!

And more to your question, yes id say getting it early is a good thing if you can as everyone is relearning the game (even the vets or most savy in fighting games like this one)

Last edited:

Vognerful

if you have the extra cash i highly recommend it man GG is a fun franchise thats easy enough to get into yet offers deep gameplay mechanics as you get better at the game. fighting games are amazing and allow for some of the most freedom of expression in play style as well as theory crafting as opposed to almost any other genre in gaming.

They are alot deeper than just button mashing!

And more to your question, yes id say getting it early is a good thing if you can as everyone is relearning the game (even the vets or most savy in fighting games like this one)
Man you just convinced me to finally do it.

I have to admit, I really miss a good "2d" fighting game.

kyoji

Man you just convinced me to finally do it.

I have to admit, I really miss a good "2d" fighting game.
yup! use the tutorial and training modes ask questions and dont worry about getting your ass kicked online, happens to everyone and its how you get better, guilty gear games are high quality, my only knock on strive is there is no frame data but its something they could patch in later perhaps.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I had seen just YT videos of GG on my HD monitor.

When i started the game today on the 4K TV i was blown away. Looks so good!

After Ratchet & Clank i'm gonna devote my life to the game.

NT80

It has already been proven time and time again that making fighting games 'accessible' doesn't draw in more players or sales. For some reason fighting game devs can't seem to see the reality of it, theyre chasing an audience that isnt there. People were already calling this game Street Fighter Strive and its quite telling.

At least +R still exist which I am grateful for.
Yes I do wonder about this. VF5FS was made much easier and nobody outside of the small dedicated fanbase even realized. It still has the intimidating reputation that puts people off when in reality this latest version of VF is not harder than Tekken 7 which has been very successful. The Japan arcade scene which Sega seem to care most about were not happy with the simplifications and the game didn't do well. That was part of why there was no VF6.

SSfox

If i remember correctly Dragon Ball FighterZ all time peak was something about 48,000.
Edit: 44,000
Yup. Nice to see Arcsys giving a big slap in the ass to all the other fighting games developpeurs that are still releasing fighting games with shit netcode, aka Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega ect for the most part.

Pejo

Must have had some female character involved.
I ended up picking up the game despite originally deciding to wait, and frankly now that I put some real time in with it, I'm a little shocked with how badly the female characters got censored in this iteration. Not to say that they still don't look good visually, but it's a pretty big step up in the censorship department over the Xrd games.

Not looking good for Dizzy/Jam fans, likely.

Anyways, I tried each character out in training just to get a feel for them, and surprisingly to me I think I landed on Zato this time. In past games I could never "get" controlling Eddie, but probably due to this game being so simplified, I seem to be doing ok with him this time. I love trap characters, was a big fan of Mu in BB and Hilda in UNIEL, and Zato is giving me a similar satisfaction. Now to actually dig into his kit.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I takes ages to connect to the servers when i start the game.

Afterwards everything is fine.

How is it for you guys?

I ended up picking up the game despite originally deciding to wait, and frankly now that I put some real time in with it, I'm a little shocked with how badly the female characters got censored in this iteration. Not to say that they still don't look good visually, but it's a pretty big step up in the censorship department over the Xrd games.

Not looking good for Dizzy/Jam fans, likely.

Anyways, I tried each character out in training just to get a feel for them, and surprisingly to me I think I landed on Zato this time. In past games I could never "get" controlling Eddie, but probably due to this game being so simplified, I seem to be doing ok with him this time. I love trap characters, was a big fan of Mu in BB and Hilda in UNIEL, and Zato is giving me a similar satisfaction. Now to actually dig into his kit.
I can't say much since I only dabbled lightly in the open beta but I'm not sure I'd agree with the word "censorship" though it's decidedly less titillating. Still, every female character available in there was beautiful and easy on the eyes. I-no seems to have aged a bit though.

I really dislike the beefing up of Chipp but his theme song and lyrics are perfect cheese...maybe that's why he's so thicc.

When's Bridget? :D

And yea I know Zato was very execution heavy in the past so at least the rebooting via Strive lets them dial him back somewhat. Not that I know how he plays now; feel free to share clips of yourself pwning someone, hehe.

SSfox

Season pass 1 characters leaked:

Jam
Jack-O
Goldlewis: the gorilla man in the trailer
ASK something (dunno how his name is spell): The guy with flower in the trailer
COD: The weird guy with blue skin in the trailer

Pejo

Season pass 1 characters leaked:

Jam
Jack-O
Goldlewis: the gorilla man in the trailer
ASK something (dunno how his name is spell): The guy with flower in the trailer
COD: The weird guy with blue skin in the trailer

First two were expected. Surprised Baiken is still nowhere to be found.

I'm actually glad we're getting a fair number of new OC. Have they decided/announced how many DLC passes there will be?

SSfox

First two were expected. Surprised Baiken is still nowhere to be found.

I'm actually glad we're getting a fair number of new OC. Have they decided/announced how many DLC passes there will be?

Baiken seems likely to be in Samsho last DLC

I'm also interested in Baiken, even tho i've never played her before but she's one of the best design character of the serie imo, but gotta see about her gameplay tho yet

No they didn't say how many passes, while i think season 2 is guaranteed, but after this i think it will depend on the success and demand, but i think there's good chance the game will live quite a bit, at least as X rev if not much more, the game is great and have great netcode (finally a japanese fighting game that we can actually play online LOL)

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I never said they were blocking. I said they were charging for it, which discourages developers from implementing it.
No they don't charge for crossplay. You're spreading incorrect information.

As shared by Laynelane, "The publisher pays Sony a royalty fee "to offset the reduction in revenue" only if the proportion of PSN revenue share divided by PS4 gameplay share for a title is less than 85 percent in any given month." -- Source.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Guilty Gear Strive is a beautiful, technically complex fighter that sports a great soundtrack, incredibly varied roster, fantastic teaching tools, and some of the best netcode in the genre all while making Guilty Gear more accessible without sacrificing too much of its technical depth. While its online lobbies need work, it's easily one of the best fighters on the market today. Go buy it and start rockin'.

EekTheKat

Strive is exposing every bad habit/trait I picked up ever since I started playing fighting games. It's like having to re-learn everything with training wheels on again.

Like I never properly learned hit confirms, option select, and so forth. Breaking it back down and trying to change how I use to play fighting games has been fun.

Still, it's been fun re-visiting things and trying to do things the right way this time.

teezzy

Banned
Strive is exposing every bad habit/trait I picked up ever since I started playing fighting games. It's like having to re-learn everything with training wheels on again.

Like I never properly learned hit confirms, option select, and so forth. Breaking it back down and trying to change how I use to play fighting games has been fun.

Still, it's been fun re-visiting things and trying to do things the right way this time.

who have you been maining?

EekTheKat

who have you been maining?
Mostly Ino I guess, least she's the one I think I don't freeze as much when pressured. Tried a few other characters and they're still not at the point where I'd lose track of what I was doing in match (it's more of a doing things via reflex instead of having to think up what to do next, which often causes freezes on my end).

Yeah I know she has a bit of a learning curve, but in terms of execution it's been manageable (as in I haven't seen that many things that require something ridiculous like a 1 frame input so far). It's been more about knowledge and what to do in certain situations vs extreme execution.

Though I did try May briefly - got a good sensible chuckle out of that brief experiment.

Hoppa

Enjoying this a lot! It's stripped down to the basics but there's still some execution stuff I'm finding difficult like combo-ing off roman cancels. Im maining Anji and it's going well, he's great. Want to get around to Nago and Giovana too at some stage.

Does anyone know where I can find like a noob GG guide to understand annotations? I've seen players say things like 6D and I know the 6 has something to do with the directional input..thought it was like clock positions but it doesn't seem to match up...

EekTheKat

Enjoying this a lot! It's stripped down to the basics but there's still some execution stuff I'm finding difficult like combo-ing off roman cancels. Im maining Anji and it's going well, he's great. Want to get around to Nago and Giovana too at some stage.

Does anyone know where I can find like a noob GG guide to understand annotations? I've seen players say things like 6D and I know the 6 has something to do with the directional input..thought it was like clock positions but it doesn't seem to match up...

IIRC, it's mostly numpad notations.

236 is traditional Quarter Circle Forward (QCF) and so forth, D is probably Dust, (P)unch, (K)ick, (S)lash, (HS) Heavy Slash.

J jump, JC (jump cancel?)

Top Bottom