• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Evolution - Official Release Date and Season 1 Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the Season 1 trailer for upcoming online FPS, Gundam Evolution. Get a look at several classes' abilities and skills in action, including Unicorn Gundam, Mahiroo, and Zaku II.

The trailer also announces that Gundam Evolution will launch on PC on September 22 and will release on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, and Xbox One on December 1, 2022.

Kuranghi

About time we get the game. I am there... all there. Cannot wait

I'm glad people like yourself are happy with this game, it doesn't interest me but I want the IP to do well so that it can get more games, maybe something more up my alley, eg:

It would be cool if Gundam could "do an Ace Combat", AC7 is a game that very accessible to even non-fans of the previous games, mostly I think because of the story and characters that is/are very fun. I would like to see that success for Gundam. Obviously this isn't trying to be that but if they can find the money for a sweet SP Gundam game I think it could pay off.

Even if it just had the engaging gameplay loop of something like Attack on Titan it would be a good time, that game is highly repetitive but even so its great fun to play and when things go well it feels really awesome, just like AC7. AC7 is the better total package though.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm a very frequent Paladins player and love Gundam... This can make me get list for days from life

The test or whatever that was, was a good time. Real fun

Hopefully they do well and support it, might be a cool mp game to pass the time with

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My fav part is when they gave out exclusive rewards for players of the closed test and then restricted the test to the USA and Canada only therefore locking out EU players (Asia got their own test) of the reward...

It was a terrible RX-78-2 skin but still... issue though is the game will be loot boxed based just like overwatch but worse as its F2P...

Which is a shame because I was enjoying the fact most people had stopped with that sht in F2P games by now, its not like this is a mobile game.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Obviously this isn't trying to be that but if they can find the money for a sweet SP Gundam game I think it could pay off.

Even if it just had the engaging gameplay loop of something like Attack on Titan it would be a good time
you mean like the 4 gundam musou games from the same developer?

STARSBarry

Gold Member

New trailer dropped showing the launch cast of mobile suits.

The preload appears to be available on steam. Looks like not Overwatch wanted to deploy just before OW2 drops the ball for a second time on PC, but strangly later for console (01/12/22)

No crossplay or cross progression which is a massive issue in my eyes for modern multiplayer shooters, it's got the potential to die on that alone.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Aaaand it's out, already with issues...

The funniest is the chat filter which filters things like "Hold point A" because "Hold" contains "ho" or "Japanese" because it has the word "jap"

Don't leave your seat for a second, the time out is so strict on AFK and it bans you from playing for 10 minutes, no glass of water... also if someone quits or crashes during the set up stage of the game before the timer runs out the game just kicks everyone out and you need to requeue...

Outside of that currency seems to be locked behind daily challanges so players are unable to grind for the 5 locked suits, which is fine... sort of but means that some of the suits in the play test are inaccessible and with no way to earn or purchase currency to unlock them seems like a strange design choice.

Loot boxes have sadly made there way in as a last hold out because the Japanese don't understand the markets moving on, the good news is everything is awful and the good skins are on the season pass or in their "DX bundle" which no one can buy at the moment.

But imagine overwatch if you didn't earn a free lootbox every level up and instead incredibly rarely through a challange system (like Halo infinites hated system) yeah that's what they think people are going to go for.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Played for a good 4 hours last night. Lot of fun, fixed some issues I had during the beta, as well although Barbatos is still a menace. Thank goodness they have double XP going so the climb isn't so harsh. You get tickets and capital as you progress in challenges and levels. The challenges aren't difficult at all so I have no problem with the system and it's all mostly free. EVO coin sales go up on the 23rd at 7PM PDT by the way.

I'll probably upgrade to the premium battle pass for this since I like a lot of the cosmetic rewards.

Unlike certain other major FPS games that have burned me in the past year, they are already ontop of their issues:
https://gundamevolution.com/en/bug_information/

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn... can't wait to finish my today's work...

Edit: Damn, it's region locked? F...

Last edited:

manfestival

Really need to resolve my internet problems because I really want to play this game but any small hiccup and I get booted from a match(like most online services)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Played it for around 5 hours and had an hour or so of connection issues.

I uninstalled immediately afterwards, game is fine but the entire reward system is just a worse Halo infinite and I'm not going to try and force myself though it for a month on that.

Honestly gameplay wise it's alright but nothing spectacular, it needs a carrot to keep people playing the gameplay is not enough to retain that alone, but just like infinite they overdosed on the stick and give you crumbs in return. Same terrible challange system but even worse rewards.

My fav part is looking at the loot boxes and seeing they split them to "allow" you to use free tickets on one but not the other, naturally it was full of below 0.1% chances for items...imagine overwatch if it only gave you
the basic reward boxes, no seasonal ones and then instead of giving you one every level made you grind Halo infinite style weekly challanges for one instead. That's evolutions reward system.

It has been a long time since I have seen something so bad, I was hoping it would give OW2 a run for its money, but instead it's a drastically worse OW1 in pretty much every way :(

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Managed to make an epic comeback with my friend on Harbor City Point Capture where we held them on their 7 min Attack advantage after somehow securing both points in only a minute each on our end. Lots of fun.

Guntank the actual Barbatos killer.

NeoLed

Aaaand it's out, already with issues...

The funniest is the chat filter which filters things like "Hold point A" because "Hold" contains "ho" or "Japanese" because it has the word "jap"

Don't leave your seat for a second, the time out is so strict on AFK and it bans you from playing for 10 minutes, no glass of water... also if someone quits or crashes during the set up stage of the game before the timer runs out the game just kicks everyone out and you need to requeue...

Outside of that currency seems to be locked behind daily challanges so players are unable to grind for the 5 locked suits, which is fine... sort of but means that some of the suits in the play test are inaccessible and with no way to earn or purchase currency to unlock them seems like a strange design choice.

Loot boxes have sadly made there way in as a last hold out because the Japanese don't understand the markets moving on, the good news is everything is awful and the good skins are on the season pass or in their "DX bundle" which no one can buy at the moment.

But imagine overwatch if you didn't earn a free lootbox every level up and instead incredibly rarely through a challange system (like Halo infinites hated system) yeah that's what they think people are going to go for.
Would love to hear your gameplay impression more than what skin can free player get. This game is free to play, no? If it is, Overwatch is a $40 game, that kinda make it unfair comparison

Banned

I mean that's just standard for any competitive shooter. Overwatch and Valorant do that too

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean that's just standard for any competitive shooter. Overwatch and Valorant do that too

Overwatch is now also free 2 play and getting rid of the loot boxes, times have moved on, I compared it to Halo infinites challenge system which I think is fair, however as the gameplay is essentially an overwatch clone I think its fair especially with OW2's new monetisation which this will directly compete against.

Would love to hear your gameplay impression more than what skin can free player get. This game is free to play, no? If it is, Overwatch is a $40 game, that kinda make it unfair comparison

The issue is it feels like a cheap Overwatch, map design, like the actual map layouts feel almost random at time, like someone was just plonking assets down without any thought at all. The look of the maps themselves are... well they look very basic too, this causes issues when there is often only one main aproach on some maps resulting spawn camping for long periods because one team gets cover to hide behind and hold while the other team only has strait open ground. Gameplay wise in how the suits (heros) function is that its probably best to not know anything about Gundam so you have no preconceptions, they don't really base the suits on any in universe role and instead just force them into something Overwatch did.

For example let's take the Zaku II, it's tracer... it's 100 round in universe MG is downed to 30, its horrifically inaccurate meaning you need to get up close like tracers pistols, but it's boost is also the strongest in the game essentially acting like tracers little time blips allowing it close distance or get out fast, rather than a time rewind it gets a smoke screen which makes its invulnerable while up enhancing this ability and a basic frag grenade. It's ultimate is a shoulder bash that stuns everyone hit by it in a line and does solid damage allowing you to easily finish off anyone locked in it before they recover. However it's a Zaku II the workhorse of mobile suits... its not the high mobility type either but the designers wanted tracer so it works like tracer. Its OW with a Gundam skin, the issue here is that again this directly translates like the bad maps in feeling like a cheap clone.

As to how the game feels to play... it feels like... Overwatch with cheap animations, in terms of kits like I said they feel like the OW kits but then with one ability changed to someone random that does not aid the role they are copying from to avoid a direct clone. For example Pale Rider (Soldier 76) gets an impact grenade and heal beacon but also gets an emp grenade that's impact as well but does no damage and in the time you use it would have been better shooting the guy, like the maps many suits have one ability that makes you think "did anyone even consider how this would work into its role? What the hell was the design intent here?"

The issue is its just not good enough really, not even in the F2P space which is harder to break into these days with some solid entries. Mix into this some of the worst progression and none rewarding in F2P history and once they stop paying the streamers off its going to disappear. If its not good enough that even Gundam fans like me to stick around then its not going to be good enough for the generic twitch trenders once their streamer has moved on.

Saying this after one day might sound ridiculous but I know what the game is already, I have seen it so many times before with better reward systems and I didn't stick around for them because the game just was not worth it. Some people will want this game to succeed because what they really want is pressure on Blizzard with a direct competitor so they are "forced" to make OW2 better. This will never be that competitor, Bandai Namco will never shift on the unreward system, they would rather have the game die so there is no saving it, if anything it's made me appreciate what Blizzard delivered with Overwatch finally.

I don't agree comparing to Overwatch for 40$ is unfair, Overwatch was always a free 2 play game, blizzard just wanted money at the door because of there reputation and people paid for it. That issue goes away too on the 02/10/22 anyway when OW2 becomes free and directly competes with this games terrible monetisation model.

Last edited:

Banned
Overwatch is now also free 2 play and getting rid of the loot boxes, times have moved on, I compared it to Halo infinites challenge system which I think is fair, however as the gameplay is essentially an overwatch clone I think its fair especially with OW2's new monetisation which this will directly compete against.

Jim Carrey What GIF

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I quoted the wrong person, but I'm going to leave it wrong because its more fun this way.

To put this in perspective I was so looking forward to this I had taken a week off work. One of my mates once he heard I uninstalled it just gave me this.

g5pcxWp.jpg

So I have something for next week haha.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Where are you guys playing from? I'm in Latin America and can't even see the game on steam, did they block it here? :(

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It’s time for PS5 and PS4 players to Move Beyond Your Limits! GUNDAM EVOLUTION is free-to-play and now available! Download today to experience a 6v6 objective based shooter featuring Mobile Suits from across the Gundam multiverse!

This trailer features an exclusive version of GUNDAM EVOLUTION’s Main Theme, remixed by Superstar DJ Steve Aoki!

YukiOnna

Any news for season 3?
The new season pass begins on Feb 2nd I believe and they stated Season 3 begins that month, so probably then.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

You will need to ask one of the 850 people left playing the game across three regions...

A9GkeD0.jpg

My bet is service termination.

I wish there was a 😬 reaction for this!

I think Gundam needs more western mainstream presence before games like this make since to make. Japan isn't a huge market for shooters.

did they fix the controls yet on Xbox? cuz then i will go back to trying this out. I actually liked it, besides the stick drift and matches ending if someone leaves the game

YukiOnna

Season 3 DEFENCER duration Feb 2nd - April 6th

New unit - Hyperion Gundam
They will launch additional unit in March and April for this season.

They are also holding the Hyper Update campaign with Season 3's start which will hold various events and campaigns that will last 3 months.

Season 3 Balance changes (can auto translate or wait for the EN post)

Season 3 PV

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I know this thread is dead, but as someone who generally loves Gundam (and hated this fucking game) I'm going to stick this one here as a last hurrah because no one else is going to care

with less than a month before closure the game has launched their final season (and new suit) and its one of my favourite in the franchise. Honestly after Overwatch 2 cancelled its PvE mode I was wondering if someone in Bandai Namco was smart enough to not see the obvious choice to pivot on this games PvP direction to retool as a PvE game, obviously as this is Namco Bandai we are talking about who only do things that make sense by accident this did not happen. Its a nice closing trailer though, I don't think iv ever seen a game get something like that before, its a nice gesture at least.

the people who made the trailer's know what the fans wanted to see. It wasn't Char's Zaku II skin locked behind over $500 of RNG FOMO timers.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
yo so they decided to add one of my favorite mobile suits to the game right as they are about to end the life cycle of the title??!
Yes because its Namco Bandai.

If there's a time to load the game up and remember exactly why you uninstalled it in the first place, that time would be now.

Last edited:
I’m so sad. I was playing this game like crazy. Almost every day. I enjoy it. There was some imbalance match ups. But with how limited a few ppl was playing, that was gonna happen. I was hoping after a whole year and more suites and stuff that over time more ppl would get into it. But they couldn’t even keep the game going for that. Once they say they was shutting it down. I play one more game and I was done. Just wasn’t worth it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I actually really want to see FROM make Gundam game with same type of gameplay style as Armored Core game.

Armored Core VI did much better job making me feel like playing Gundam game (especially some of the mission design) more than actual licence Gundam games.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I actually really want to see FROM make Gundam game with same type of gameplay style as Armored Core game.

Armored Core VI did much better job making me feel like playing Gundam game (especially some of the mission design) more than actual licence Gundam games.

Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Unicorn_VG_Cover_Art.png

If they where smart they would ask FROM to develop the next "Gundam Breakers" game, that way full customisation with a focus on PvP would naturally make sense. After Bandai Namco massively botched the last breakers game by having the worst autolock known to man single handily making the game unplayable, I think using what they have to avoid that scenario in future would be great. But after the shitshow that was Gundam Metaverse this month, I think they have entrenched themselves into the standard Namco Bandai fare of doing nothing that makes sense and digging a deeper hole.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If they where smart they would ask FROM to develop the next "Gundam Breakers" game, that way full customisation with a focus on PvP would naturally make sense. After Bandai Namco massively botched the last breakers game by having the worst autolock known to man single handily making the game unplayable, I think using what they have to avoid that scenario in future would be great.
I personally want SP focus Gundam game with original story similar how we get original Gundam series thats not part of U.C and made by FROM with similar gameplay style as AC games.

I'm not MP guy so I dont care for PVP or co-op.

Top Bottom