• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gurman: Apple is building a metaverse-like world and 3D video service for its VR headset. Costs between $2000-$3000. M2-chip 10 cameras.

I highly doubt the world will turn to a Metaverse like lifestyle, but even recreational, its a complete waste of money as it stands, neither the technology nor the mindset is pointing that way.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Dont understand the vr hook when we literally have real life.
I guess you can really sell anything to some people.

That's an odd argument. It's like questioning why video games exist when you can just go outside in the real world.

Different than the phone plan for the following reasons:

- often the cost of the phone is actually discounted by the provider, not just spread out over time

- the vr device has about 95% less appeal vs a phone, a device you heavily rely on and is accepted universally

-
Yea, totally different. Just referring to the payments. That plan REALLY lowers the barrier to entry. There really is no downside to it.

I'm still not completely buying that it's going to be a VR device, I always thought it was going to be an AR/VR thing. You'd be surprised at how Apple makes thing "essential" they're really good at what they do.

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

I hope you don't honestly believe that. That isn't true for any product, including Apple's.

I'm still not seeing the correlation between selling an expensive phone that is mostly paid for by carriers and an expensive VR headset. Everyone needs a phone, a very small percentage is interested in VR.

If they can get some good experiences out there and available for it, maybe that might drive VR somewhat. 🤷‍♂️
i replying just to say im bookmarking your reply to then reply to it in the future when this supposed VR product becomes released.

From now, you keep moving the goalpost in the reasoning.

You and everyone else here are not realizing what you already know (again your bias blinds you): With this device alleged to be 2000+, it will be a 1st generation VR device from Apple, first gen hardware are always expensive.

1. They are fitting an entire Mac PC in a headset with the "highest resolution" in the current consumer market at $3,000.
2. The current consumer market is a HTC VIVE Pro Secure - Virtual reality system - 2880 x 1600 @ 90 Hz - DisplayPort, USB-C at $9,999.

if you are new here, here's the Apple "secret sauce to success: Make expensive things cheap, then inflate the price, or more formally, make industrial, enterprise, or commercial - level hardware and make it for consumers with consumer level software and IU...then make it white and every color
Apple isnt using Meta Quest 2 or Playstation VR2 as their benchmark here: those are toys.

see you in 5-10 years from now.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

i replying just to say im bookmarking your reply to then reply to it in the future when this supposed VR product becomes released.

From now, you keep moving the goalpost in the reasoning.

You and everyone else here are not realizing what you already know (again your bias blinds you): With this device alleged to be 2000+, it will be a 1st generation VR device, first gen hardware are always expensive.

1. They are fitting an entire Mac PC in a headset with the "highest resolution" in the current consumer market at $3,000.
2. The current consumer market is a HTC VIVE Pro Secure - Virtual reality system - 2880 x 1600 @ 90 Hz - DisplayPort, USB-C at $9,999.

Apple isnt using Meta Quest 2 or Playstation VR2 as their benchmark here: those are toys.

see you in 5-10 years from now.

No one is saying you can't sell a limited numbers of a niche VR headsets to a very small market of buyers at a high price. A $3,000 headset is never going to be a mainstream product, period. No matter who manufactures it.

Mac desktops and laptops already blowup the fallacy you've created about price because while Apple can successfully sell those at high prices, their market share is barely even relevant because of that. Mainstream buyers gravitate to lower priced options.

Stat-Counter-os-combined-ww-monthly-202110-202210.png

iPhone got passed that because while the handsets are exorbitantly expensive, most of the cost gets picked by mobile carriers and that nullifies the negative effects of the high prices. But, even in that case they were starting to lose a lot of ground to Android overall and what did they do to correct that? You guessed it, they released lower priced options.

So yeah, you can say well "In ten years it will be successful", ok that's a reasonable hypothesis but if that's true it will be because the VR market has matured and developed a lot more universal function and appeal than what is available now. And the price would have to be lower, which brings us right back to this $3k headset won't be a mass market product (if they are even making a $3k device, isn't that just speculation?).

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

iPhone got passed that because while the handsets are exorbitantly expensive, most of the cost gets picked by mobile carriers
Great point, could Apple try selling this with a mobile plan to offset costs? Like charge $899 for the device, but you have to have a three year contract attached get it?

Or maybe an Apple Plus subscription for 4 years, perhaps?

DaGwaphics

Great point, could Apple try selling this with a mobile plan to offset costs? Like charge $899 for the device, but you have to have a three year contract attached get it?

Or maybe an Apple Plus subscription for 4 years, perhaps?

It's possible, but it's still something not required for most people's online needs, it might not work. A dumb AR device more in the image of Google Glass or whatever they were calling it would stand a much better chance of being a breakout device, something that would be powered from the compute of that expensive phone they've already sold you.

I'm not knocking what they'll bring out, I'm sure it will be top notch from a technology perspective. I just think it's a bit much to think everyone with an iPhone is going to run out and grab themselves a $3k headset.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yea, totally different. Just referring to the payments. That plan REALLY lowers the barrier to entry. There really is no downside to it.

I'm still not completely buying that it's going to be a VR device, I always thought it was going to be an AR/VR thing. You'd be surprised at how Apple makes thing "essential" they're really good at what they do.
I think your massively operrating what Apple does. Apple success stems from ease of use and generally good hardware. They aren't wizzards at making people want things they don't need. The price tag is simply too high, regardless of how cool it is.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
No one is saying you can't sell a limited numbers of a niche VR headsets to a very small market of buyers at a high price. A $3,000 headset is never going to be a mainstream product, period. No matter who manufactures it.

Mac desktops and laptops already blowup the fallacy you've created about price because while Apple can successfully sell those at high prices, their market share is barely even relevant because of that. Mainstream buyers gravitate to lower priced options.

Stat-Counter-os-combined-ww-monthly-202110-202210.png

iPhone got passed that because while the handsets are exorbitantly expensive, most of the cost gets picked by mobile carriers and that nullifies the negative effects of the high prices. But, even in that case they were starting to lose a lot of ground to Android overall and what did they do to correct that? You guessed it, they released lower priced options.

So yeah, you can say well "In ten years it will be successful", ok that's a reasonable hypothesis but if that's true it will be because the VR market has matured and developed a lot more universal function and appeal than what is available now. And the price would have to be lower, which brings us right back to this $3k headset won't be a mass market product (if they are even making a $3k device, isn't that just speculation?).
For years and to this day, iPhone has had a small minority of market share, it’s around 15-20% worldwide (but much higher in richer countries and inching up). Another thing is that with iPhone the rest of the market caught up in prices, 10 years ago it was Apple selling phones for far higher price than flagship Androids, now flagship Androids are priced similarly. So if anything Apple got the pricing right. Like I said earlier in this thread, I think that Apple probably thinks VR headsets are priced too low now, and they might be right.

Apple’s never cared about mass market - ever! Even while Android was blowing up in lower markets, Apple stayed away almost entirely (one exception - 5C - total flop). So it’s a total fallacy to pin this thing’s success on mass market as Apple wouldn’t judge it that way. The right question is what does Apple want to do with a VR device and what do they get out of selling it to their fans.

I think you’re massively operrating what Apple does. Apple success stems from ease of use and generally good hardware. They aren't wizzards at making people want things they don't need. The price tag is simply too high, regardless of how cool it is.
Eh they are, see the Apple Watch. See AirPods. They are great at making things that people didn’t know they wanted until they saw them.

Last edited:
I think your massively operrating what Apple does. Apple success stems from ease of use and generally good hardware. They aren't wizzards at making people want things they don't need. The price tag is simply too high, regardless of how cool it is.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, save for ease of use and good hardwaare. I think they're really good at manipulating consumers. I agree tho, 2-3k is way too high. I think they'll probably be around 1-1.5k... then the Pro (LOL) version will be 2k or more.

Drewpee

Banned
[/URL]

[/URL]

Apple seems to be going all in with this headset even taking jabs at Facebook for it's poor implementation of their version of web 3.0 so far.

I expect this headset to be an option at phone carriers to make it more accessible, but I also think that they'll probably find a way to lower the costs just a bit. I don't see them going over $2000 with it personally at least not if they are planning more than one model which they usually do. If there's a pro model I expect the standard to cost no more than 2000.

The hardwork to get software up to par is polar opposite of where the VR industry has gone so far. Having quality games and applications will set Apples headset far apart from Quest, Vive, or PSVR. Varied applications from games, surfing, and productivity would place Apple in a position where the price may seem worth it to people. If they make sure the headset isn't too bulky that's another plus.

They are packing serious hardware into the headset and I expect them to have the best fov, display tech, and graphics so far. I also expect it to be wireless or to at least come with wireless as an option out the gate. I'm sure there will also be some form of interaction with their other products like Apple Tv, Iphone and Mac.

As reported in the last thread about the headset, they are expected to announce the headset shortly after they have produced the initial shipment of 700k headsets in March, with it releasing late that month or in April. I expect they will rapidly adjust production based on how fast that initial shipments sales.

I think Facebook, HTC, Valve, and Sony are in trouble since this Apply VR headset which also includes AR is coming sooner than later, early 2023 around the same time frame as the PSVR2. VR is suddenly about to get a lor more competitive and I have a feeling there's the software so far is going to quickly change as well.
Jimbo is calling the CMA as we speak.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, save for ease of use and good hardwaare. I think they're really good at manipulating consumers. I agree tho, 2-3k is way too high. I think they'll probably be around 1-1.5k... then the Pro (LOL) version will be 2k or more.
Exactly how does Apple exert their mind control over people and manipulate them? What secret dark magic of manipulation does only Apple have? Why doesn’t anyone else have this power?

Last edited:
We will see. I didn't see that many iphone and mac buyers going to bat for the Apple TV. VR will have a larger hurdle because of the very base question of 'what purpose does this serve me on a day to day basis?'

Irrelevant.

Almost every Apple Product worth anything was at or is at phone carriers, the Apple TV is still at some of them, the Itouches when they were a thing were, Ipads, watches, Iphones etc all at carriers This will likely also be at carriers at high traffic stores in busty cities or in commercial centers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The first flaw with vr is the pricing the second flaw is how being fun gets lost, and the third flaw is associating vr with avatars, meeting rooms and exiting the real world.

Exactly how does Apple exert their mind control over people and manipulate them? What secret dark magic of manipulation does only Apple have? Why doesn’t anyone else have this power?
Those are trade secrets... but it's likely white magic. Other wizards try, but they haven't figured it out yet. They blow this "dust" over the US, look up chem-trails aka Apple dust, that make ppl want to buy their products. It's diabolical really, I recently broke thru their spell and now I am happier, but I still use their products as I am currently writing this replay on my MacBook Pro, while my iPhone and Apple watch alert me that my RB is now Questionable... damn, they are really good.

THE DUCK

For years and to this day, iPhone has had a small minority of market share, it’s around 15-20% worldwide (but much higher in richer countries and inching up). Another thing is that with iPhone the rest of the market caught up in prices, 10 years ago it was Apple selling phones for far higher price than flagship Androids, now flagship Androids are priced similarly. So if anything Apple got the pricing right. Like I said earlier in this thread, I think that Apple probably thinks VR headsets are priced too low now, and they might be right.

Apple’s never cared about mass market - ever! Even while Android was blowing up in lower markets, Apple stayed away almost entirely (one exception - 5C - total flop). So it’s a total fallacy to pin this thing’s success on mass market as Apple wouldn’t judge it that way. The right question is what does Apple want to do with a VR device and what do they get out of selling it to their fans.

Eh they are, see the Apple Watch. See AirPods. They are great at making things that people didn’t know they wanted until they saw them.

These things have far more broad appeal than a screen strapped to your face for hours, and they are far, far cheaper.

THE DUCK

Who knows how it will play out, apple could just be using it to justify r&d for an eventual mass market product. I'm still of the opinion vr needs some more refinement anyhow before the huddled masses really embrace it. (Apple or no apple)

Soodanim

These things have far more broad appeal than a screen strapped to your face for hours, and they are far, far cheaper.
Society established the line it won't cross en masse, and strapping things to your face is that line. A product more expensive than any other luxury device in their lives won't convince people to change their minds.

Shh

Why is Gurman allowed to ever say anything? The only time he's right is when he's regurgitating things everyone already knows. When he's wrong, it's when he makes "predictions" and then backtracks because he's wrong 100% of the time. I wish I could be paid to pull stuff from my arse.

Neo_GAF

Banned
At best I predict a life similar to Stadia: it gets some niche support, but won't get big support and eventually it will die off as another failed venture. Not even Apple can convince people to do anything close to Metaverse on headsets.

People spend $1000 on their phone because it's their main device for every single day of their life. A VR headset is the complete opposite to that: a more expensive device that does less, for entertainment use and limited to home life but requires more effort to use than standard entertainment devices.

Cut your losses, salvage what you can, and call it a day Apple. The few high end businesses with money to burn that adopt this won't make it a successful consumer product.
remember kinect? remember how people thought it can spy into your living room etc...?
apple has successfully implemented kinect into every fucking iphone except the se models. back in the day everyone thought this is DOA and now it serves as an everyday unlocker.
i like VR, but it is so tedious to make it work to begin with. i used it at the beginning for my ps4 but the move controllers were simply shit.
i really hope vr2/apple will do better.

dont care about metaverse. so far everything i saw was simply shit.

Top Bottom