• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy who leaked FF Origins: “Kojima will sign a contract with Microsoft to publish his episodic horror project”

Iced Arcade

episodic CAN be great if continued and focused on.

episodic Kojima on gamepass is almost a no brainer smash. (And I'm not even a Kojima fan)

ngl, as a PS owner, not a big loss if its true.

Episodic cloud base game, yikes.
Cloud based doesn't mean it will not running natively on Xbox.

Stop making assumptions. MS can very well change the game to work natively and via streaming. Stadia had no option to run any game natively.

Also It can be always online game Like FLIGHT SIM and must be using cloud for some graphics computing. You know in Sea of thieves water tech is rendered using cloud?.

Great, hope its official.

Cant remember the last time a Kojima game came to Xbox, this might be turn out to be a very interesting game given how differently MS operates and their certain criterias.

Excited to see what Kojima could create within Xbox.

demonstr8

We've already been over this. The evidence for the claim that this guy leaked Final Fantasy Origins is not good as he already posted about it after it was already leaked on ReeEra so we don't know if he was just piggy-backing off of Navtra or not and yet people present this as if it's a fact.

Do people on this forum not care about the truth or what is reasonable to believe? If I wanted to be surrounded by logical fallacies all day every day I would post on Resetera instead of here.

Dr_Salt

We've already been over this. The evidence for the claim that this guy leaked Final Fantasy Origins is not good as he already posted about it after it was already leaked on ReeEra so we don't know if he was just piggy-backing off of Navtra or not and yet people present this as if it's a fact.

Do people on this forum not care about the truth or what is reasonable to believe? If I wanted to be surrounded by logical fallacies all day every day I would post on Resetera instead of here.

I see 4chan fake leaks posted here all the time. At least ree does not allow those.

demonstr8

I see 4chan fake leaks posted here all the time. At least ree does not allow those.
Good point, I actually agree that 4chan is even more unreliable as it's an anonymous image board but I don't think a blanket ban like Ree has is a good idea, it's too much and a case by case basis is best.

If a 4chan post has no corroborating evidence and no exclusive images or videos then it is utterly pointless to post. But something like the Project Beast leak was legendary and it came from 4chan but it had both of the above.

and on the other side deathstranding is now the best game since mario 64... fanboyism works both ways dude...
Not at all, and it remains to be seen if this new game will be any good either. Its just funny how his last game is now all of a sudden a waste of money. There's certain posters here that are simply one side or the other,common sense be damned, and this guy is one of those.

Yeah. Microsoft is really reaching here if they are actually going to sign with Kojima. He's done and doesn't have anything good coming out, he got rejected by Stadia for fucks sake.
You may very well be right, and we don't know the reason behind Stadia rejecting this new title (unlike Sony not wanting episodic content). The decision (if its true) makes sense for Microsoft. Kojima is one of the biggest names in gaming and people will follow his games regardless and that's more subs for Gamepass.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
#TeamFake because Stadia officially debunked to have received a pitch, cancelled a game or anything with Kojima. They mentioned they talked with many potential partners but that it doesn't mean that ends on a pitch or in a signed deal.

Plus since Death Stranding Kojipro ported it to PC and has been making the Director's Cut. They are only about 80 people and Kojima said they were highly impacted by Covid so couldn't do a lot of stuff. So if this non-Sony game would be real pretty likely it would be in very early stages of development or even preproduction.

But Death Stranding and its PC port were profitable and got good reviews, so Kojipro and Sony must be happy with each other. Something proven with seeing them together again with Director's Cut. I don't see why they wouldn't want to work again together for their next project. It's highly doubtful that the reason would be to see it too risky when they made the bizarre Death Stranding and Sony is so happy with the idea that are repeating the 'let's fund a 2nd party new IP from the new studio of the creators of XXX super huge AAA IP giving them full creative freedom' three times with the Destiny, COD BO and AC people.
#TeamTrue episodic cloud based games is perfect for GamePass.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
and on the other side deathstranding is now the best game since mario 64... fanboyism works both ways dude...
Death Stranding is an absolutely incredible experience on PS4 Pro and I cannot wait for the Director’s Cut on PS5. If the new MS
Partnership game approaches that level of quality and enjoyment (not just engagement and microtransactions ahoy) it should be awesome.

jigglet

Banned
This is definitely real guys. I actually know the leaker. And by "know" I mean "know of"; through this thread.

Fuck all the doubters. You will be deeply embarrassed when it turns out to be true.

mcjmetroid

This would be very funny is this is true.

Xbox gets hideo kojima horror project

PlayStation got whatever Death Stranding was supposed to be

Sounds like a fair tradeoff.........
Doesn't it?

Shubh_C63

jk
PSFans : We will make our own kojima P.T....in Dreams.

PlayStation got whatever Death Stranding was supposed to be
Are we thinking DS wasn't what it was supposed to be. After konami, now what was holding kojima back in delivering its DS vision on launch day ?

Derift

Death Stranding is an absolutely incredible experience on PS4 Pro and I cannot wait for the Director’s Cut on PS5. If the new MS
Partnership game approaches that level of quality and enjoyment (not just engagement and microtransactions ahoy) it should be awesome.
I have no doubt it was a good game but I'm just remembering all the xbox fanboys insulting it etc

ANIMAL1975

I see, thanks!
Let's see how this turns out. I would love more Kojima on PS5, can't wait for more news on that Director's Cut.

and Abandoned
It's not only that, the game was made in collaboration with ps studios _ it was made with decima engine. It's like Bloodborne, made by From and Japan Studios. Second party with collaboration of Sony WWS, hence the logo.

assurdum

Banned
Personally I'm glad Kojima gets to make the game he wants to make. His "loyalty" as a creator should be to his ideas first and foremost. Maybe he has some interesting take on cloud-based tech.

Clearly he has great relationship with Sony and his next game could be with them, or multi-plat.
Personally I'm more scared than glad. Everytime Kojima get some free pass, it's mathematical he will screw something. The last Death Stranding proved it again. Never felt so frustrated and annoyed by some flawed gameplay mechanic as here. One of the worst boring stealth mechanics I ever seen. Well after played Ninja Gaiden 3 yesterday, it's a neck to neck.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have no doubt it was a good game but I'm just remembering all the xbox fanboys insulting it etc
Ah well of course, people insulting it and Kojima… same as the hate for NMS that took a nosedive after it landed on Xbox too… what a coincidence eh ;)?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not only that, the game was made in collaboration with ps studios _ it was made with decima engine. It's like Bloodborne, made by From and Japan Studios. Second party with collaboration of Sony WWS, hence the logo.
Death Stranding has several Guerrilla staffers credited as they helped him develop and ship the game too.

Vognerful

Studios can work on multiple games

I'm sure when Sony dismissed the Episodic project they had something bigger in mind.

King Ryan probably secured MGS, Silent Hill, DS2, or something even bigger for Kojima.

Microsoft is desperate, they'll take or fund anything to play catch up. Kojima wanted to experiment and Microsoft being desperate begged him.

Jim Ryan being a strategic mastermind has some standards

JIM RYAN BLESS
I think I know .......

You are that ninja.

Some folks cherish P.T. to the point where they never want to accidentally delete it but HATE the idea of an episodic horror Kojima game. Make it make sense.

martino

Some folks cherish P.T. to the point where they never want to accidentally delete it but HATE the idea of an episodic horror Kojima game. Make it make sense.
the content is not the problem here. it's the "where" first and for some the "how" (but too often because the "right" "where" is not doing great at it)

yurinka

#TeamTrue episodic cloud based games is perfect for GamePass.
Kojima isn't working on an episodic game for Gamepass. He's working on Death Stranding Director's Cut for PS5.

Death Stranding has several Guerrilla staffers credited as they helped him develop and ship the game too.
Well, they may be the ones who made game engine, or the ones teaching Kojipro devs to use it.

The PlayStation Studios logo only means that Sony published it. But it all cases, Sony publishing a game worldwide also means Sony owns the IP, funded the game and handled stuff like localization, testing, marketing, PR, etc. Other than that, some 2nd party games are totally externally developer by a 3rd party gamedev studio, some other ones are codeveloped by some Sony studio.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
My reticence comes from the fact that clearly it’s a project that didn’t interest Google nor Sony, which makes me think that Kojima either didn’t have a workable game design model in place or the amount of resources he will need to make it didn’t match the potential audience for it.

If Microsoft is willing to invest on it for the chance to attract a big name to the portfolio, then more power to them because I’m curious to see what happens.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Meh, Death Stranding was bad anyways so no loss there. Kojimas games has went downhill for some time now.

Right guys?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nice. Episodic content would work well with Gamepass. I'd really like to see a majority of story driven games go down this route.

You may very well be right, and we don't know the reason behind Stadia rejecting this new title (unlike Sony not wanting episodic content). The decision (if its true) makes sense for Microsoft. Kojima is one of the biggest names in gaming and people will follow his games regardless and that's more subs for Gamepass.
Nah, after Death Stranding nobody is going to follow Kojima, not even Sony wanted him.

Dr_Salt

No, they are still working on it and we don't know when it's going to be released. But considering it got age rating recently, we can assume it will be released this fall.
Where do you get this info? Several insiders have stated that the DC has been done for some time. DS was released in 2019 tbh it makes little sense to me that they have been working on this DC for two years unless it is a major overhaul of the game to the point that it basically is a new game. I really doubt that is the case.

Do people understand cloud gaming?

I am seeing alot of very smart people here.

Cloud games is flight simulator. Not games you play on xcloud. It uses the power of cloud, to push the game to absolute limit. They will utilize the Azure cloud system to achieve that.

An episodic game at the level of flight simulator would be epic. Kojima could make things he wasn't able to achieve on hardwares.
This; people have such a stupid misconception of cloud as "only" GaaS or game streaming, when in reality it opens up more interesting game design possibilities than even the SSDs will (not to downplay the importance of SSDs though; they will bring their own benefits to game design), it just doesn't have the marketing glitz to go along with it.

This game, if it's real, will probably have a native instance running on the local console but leveraging the cloud for things like streaming of assets, or real-time weather/traffic/news etc. integration that can then be modeled and streamed/downloaded into the end user's game (which could itself be set based on the real world, but otherwise 100% fictional story set within it). Using the cloud as a means of building, for example, a digital replica of the real world within whatever engine it's set in, offloading AI scripts processed through the cloud, and that real-world replica being easily usable in different types of games altogether with different types of game design to them.

Not to mention things like streaming multiple view or scenario instances of the game world on different end viewing devices/displays simultaneously (although I think this is somewhat only really appealing with some sort of mapping that'd require optional peripheral devices, or a means to track player physical movement in a physical space . That's not something the consoles can do right now and something only future VR support may be able to bring). Tying that with IoT-style functionality you could have really immersive games acting as a kind of virtual network integrated into the player's real world with some of the heavier processing handled through the cloud, while the local console can handle the more immediate visual and audio delivery of content, synchronized together.

There's a lot of possibilities with cloud streaming and offload processing WRT enabling new gaming experiences, that simply isn't considered nearly enough.

It's certainly not impossible but him signing a deal with Microsoft isn't what would be surprsing here.
The surprise would really be that he approached Sony with a project but they for some reason chose to turn him down, this is after supplying him with the source code of Decima engine. That combined with the fact that it was a project they didn't want but for some reason Microsoft did doesn't really make any sense.
If this person had suggested that he'd gone straight to Microsoft or even that Microsoft approached him first would be far more believable but this story doesn't really ring true.

If the game really relies on cloud streaming and cloud processing to a heavy degree I can see why Sony would turn it down; not because they didn't like the concept, but because they may not have the cloud infrastructure to deliver what Kojima would want in this instance. Sony are still in the process of revamping and expanding their cloud infrastructure, including collaborating with Microsoft on ideas and implementations that could potentially use Azure services and technologies.

Seeing as how Kojima apparently went to Google for this concept at some point, then an assumption could be made he went to them after approaching Sony, but the aforementioned scenario combined with (supposedly) underperformance from Death Stranding might've convinced Sony to pass on funding this project, so he went to Google. And Google, of course, cucked out of committing to yet another venture outside of their core initiatives, so that could be wherein Kojima went to Microsoft to discuss things (or more likely, he ha already approached them around the time of approaching Google, but Microsoft may've initially passed so Google got the shot and then they blew it before anything started).

WRT the Decima source code, yes him doing a project with Microsoft would probably mean not having access to said source code, but a developer like Kojima is experienced in adapting to engines, they've had to do it multiple times over the past few decades, and it's not like Microsoft doesn't have a bevy of their own engines (Playground's engine, Turn 10's engine, and now stuff like iD Tech & Creation Engine) and access to engines like UE5 including the developer arguably best with that engine in commercial AAA games, The Coalition. Seeing what benefits UE5 is bringing to the table and having 1P devs like Coalition around that would certainly be willing to help a team like Kojima Productions learn to master said engine, I don't think Kojima is as glued to Decima Engine as some think.

But again, everything predicates itself on if this game is even happening; there's some circumstantial evidence it could, but I'd like more substantive confirmation before putting any serious stock into it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This; people have such a stupid misconception of cloud as "only" GaaS or game streaming, when in reality it opens up more interesting game design possibilities than even the SSDs will (not to downplay the importance of SSDs though; they will bring their own benefits to game design), it just doesn't have the marketing glitz to go along with it.

This game, if it's real, will probably have a native instance running on the local console but leveraging the cloud for things like streaming of assets, or real-time weather/traffic/news etc. integration that can then be modeled and streamed/downloaded into the end user's game (which could itself be set based on the real world, but otherwise 100% fictional story set within it). Using the cloud as a means of building, for example, a digital replica of the real world within whatever engine it's set in, offloading AI scripts processed through the cloud, and that real-world replica being easily usable in different types of games altogether with different types of game design to them.

Kojima's statements were about a cloud native game that streams.

Microsoft just hired someone and put them in charge of projects related to cloud-only games.

A game that runs only in the cloud, and can only be played via streaming, can guarantee incredibly low latency between the machine running the game (an XSX in MS's datacenter) and the machines doing the cloud processing (likely more generic VMs running in Azure in the same data center.) It also means that all of the "player machines" can be in the same DC, with the only variable being how each players streaming experience may differ. But from a compute standpoint, you have a network of machines with near zero latency all together.

That's what Kojima was talking about considering he mentioned "streaming" and "new types of games." It's also what Stadia has babbled about, who he apparently did have some discussions with, and what MS has recently talked about with the hiring of Kim Swift.

Hence why the Kojima / MS rumors make sense.. and like you said, why Sony would probably not be a valid suitor.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Again the prospect of the return to MGS1 roots would unite Kojima’s fan base. Focus on gameplay, set pieces etc. let someone else put forward these episodic, unique narrative experiences.

xHunter

I kinda like the idea of episodic horror games, if they make them not connected to each other. I hope they go the route of suppermassive with a dark pictures type of series with smaller 2-3 hours games.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Oh, whatever. They knew exactly what they were doing and it will benefit their game drastically.

Maybe.
But the cult of personality around Kojima is such that from now on, no one can make a game that takes even tangential inspiration from Silent Hill without every Kojima zealot going "Oh, this is just like Silent Hills. Is KojiPro involved? He has to be."
RqNcUeB.jpg

Kojima's statements were about a cloud native game that streams.

Microsoft just hired someone and put them in charge of projects related to cloud-only games.

A game that runs only in the cloud, and can only be played via streaming, can guarantee incredibly low latency between the machine running the game (an XSX in MS's datacenter) and the machines doing the cloud processing (likely more generic VMs running in Azure in the same data center.) It also means that all of the "player machines" can be in the same DC, with the only variable being how each players streaming experience may differ. But from a compute standpoint, you have a network of machines with near zero latency all together.

That's what Kojima was talking about considering he mentioned "streaming" and "new types of games." It's also what Stadia has babbled about, who he apparently did have some discussions with, and what MS has recently talked about with the hiring of Kim Swift.

Hence why the Kojima / MS rumors make sense.. and like you said, why Sony would probably not be a valid suitor.
Good points and lends further credence to it being a real possibility (they could probably be waiting until TGS to do announcement/reveal), only this is if it's fully reliant on streaming and won't be using end-user consoles for anything aside being a streaming client, then xCloud input latency is readily improved.

I hear it has gotten a lot better recently but remember the earlier beta phase from....late last year I believe? That one had noticeable input latency issues from what folks were saying, with Nvidia Shield and Stadia being lower. That said I would like to think Microsoft can hit extremely low input latency given they now have access to iD's Orion tech and can integrate that with their pre-existing streaming stack.

Top Bottom