• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy who leaked FF Origins: “Kojima will sign a contract with Microsoft to publish his episodic horror project”

yurinka

Where do you get this info? Several insiders have stated that the DC has been done for some time. DS was released in 2019 tbh it makes little sense to me that they have been working on this DC for two years unless it is a major overhaul of the game to the point that it basically is a new game. I really doubt that is the case.
Don't believe the insiders who said wrong stuff like Starfield was a 2021 game or that the FF Chaos game was going to be PS5 exclusive, just look at the facts:

Kojima announced DSDC with no release date in the Summer Game Fest event and also said that due to Covid they couldn't do a lot of stuff in the last year or so and Geoff mentioned they will make a full reveal in a few weeks.

This Monday DSDC got rated in ESRB, which traditionally means it's a few months away from release: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37638/Death+Stranding+Directors+Cut/

Devs are always adding, changing, tweaking and fixing stuff until the last day and even beyond the day one update patch. So it's pretty likely they're still working on it. Specially being a Kojima game, you know how this guy is.

Then consider that (according to wikipedia) Kojipro has around 80 employees. During the pandemic, like half a year after the original November 2019 release they released the DS PC port on July 2020, in the middle of the pandemic. Then also have been working on DSDC, and Kojima said they weren't able to do a lot of stuff due to covid. And remember, 80 employees and some of them must be from finances, HR, social media, marketing and so on, not actual gamedevs.

So they didn't have time to do another game unless it's a tiny thing. And if they have another project they only must have a small pitch and only some preproduction stuff. If it's true, according to rumors Sony and Stadia rejected it so it shouldn't be something promising.

But the thing is, if MS had something with Kojima they would have announced it at E3. And they didn't do it. And Stadia debunked the rumor by saying they never got anything from Kojima (which includes a pitch), and that even if they talked to many potential parters to offer them to publish games on their platforms it doesn't mean it ends on a project proposal and even less in a signed deal.

Then we have the 'Jimbo is evil, hates Kojima and is ruining Japanese games' narrative. The facts say Death Stranding versions for PS4 and PC were profitable and got green MC ratings, so they both must be happy with it. If they weren't happy together wouldn't repeat again together with DSDC.

And Sony tried the 'let's fund as a AAA 2nd party new IP the first game from the new studio created by the top people from certain super successful AAA IP and let's give them full creative freedom' idea with Death Stranding. If they are repeating it again with Haven (AC, Watchdogs and many other guys), Firewalk (Destiny guys) and Deviation Games (CoD BO guys) its because the must have been happy with Death Stranding.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
the rumor certainly sounds plausible and an episodic cloud game would be a good fit for GamePass

zero interest from me though because I can't stand horror ^_^;; (I've also not played Death Stranding because it looks a little too creepy for my tastes)

Dr_Salt

Don't believe the insiders who said wrong stuff like Starfield was a 2021 game or that the FF Chaos game was going to be PS5 exclusive, just look at the facts:

Kojima announced DSDC with no release date in the Summer Game Fest event and also said that due to Covid they couldn't do a lot of stuff in the last year or so and Geoff mentioned they will make a full reveal in a few weeks.

This Monday DSDC got rated in ESRB, which traditionally means it's a few months away from release: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37638/Death+Stranding+Directors+Cut/

Devs are always adding, changing, tweaking and fixing stuff until the last day and even beyond the day one update patch. So it's pretty likely they're still working on it. Specially being a Kojima game, you know how this guy is.

Then consider that (according to wikipedia) Kojipro has around 80 employees. During the pandemic, like half a year after the original November 2019 release they released the DS PC port on July 2020, in the middle of the pandemic. Then also have been working on DSDC, and Kojima said they weren't able to do a lot of stuff due to covid. And remember, 80 employees and some of them must be from finances, HR, social media, marketing and so on, not actual gamedevs.

So they didn't have time to do another game unless it's a tiny thing. And if they have another project they only must have a small pitch and only some preproduction stuff. If it's true, according to rumors Sony and Stadia rejected it so it shouldn't be something promising.

But the thing is, if MS had something with Kojima they would have announced it at E3. And they didn't do it. And Stadia debunked the rumor by saying they never got anything from Kojima (which includes a pitch), and that even if they talked to many potential parters to offer them to publish games on their platforms it doesn't mean it ends on a project proposal and even less in a signed deal.

Then we have the 'Jimbo is evil, hates Kojima and is ruining Japanese games' narrative. The facts say Death Stranding versions for PS4 and PC were profitable and got green MC ratings, so they both must be happy with it. If they weren't happy together wouldn't repeat again together with DSDC.

And Sony tried the 'let's fund as a AAA 2nd party new IP the first game from the new studio created by the top people from certain super successful AAA IP and let's give them full creative freedom' idea with Death Stranding. If they are repeating it again with Haven (AC, Watchdogs and many other guys), Firewalk (Destiny guys) and Deviation Games (CoD BO guys) its because the must have been happy with Death Stranding.

What about the other guy who has leaked full microsoft conference lineups before to a T? I'm not a big fan of his tbh but its clear he has some connections. He reported the same thing a few months ago and says they are still in negotiations hence why they haven't announced it yet.
If this isn't announced at TGA this year I would say its probably bullshit.

yurinka

What about the other guy who has leaked full microsoft conference lineups before to a T? I'm not a big fan of his tbh but its clear he has some connections. He reported the same thing a few months ago and says they are still in negotiations hence why they haven't announced it yet.
If this isn't announced at TGA this year I would say its probably bullshit.
Who is the guy who leaked full MS conference lineups? Do you have a link for these predictions? Were he making just some decent guessed like 'there should be a new Forza Horizon game coming' or 'They will show these already announced games that we already know will be released soonish' and mixed it with big fails like 'Starfield will be a 2021 game' or did he leak specific stuff that people couldn't guess like 'Avalanche will make a new IP for MS called Contraband'? Did he say Kojima's next game will be for MS?

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Who is the guy who leaked full MS conference lineups? Do you have a link for these predictions? Were he making just some decent guessed like 'there should be a new Forza Horizon game coming' or 'They will show these already announced games that we already know will be released soonish' and mixed it with big fails like 'Starfield will be a 2021 game' or did he leak specific stuff that people couldn't guess like 'Avalanche will make a new IP for MS called Contraband'? Did he say Kojima's next game will be for MS?

Jeff Grubb. He has leaked alot of microsoft stuff that was actually true.

Dane

We've already been over this. The evidence for the claim that this guy leaked Final Fantasy Origins is not good as he already posted about it after it was already leaked on ReeEra so we don't know if he was just piggy-backing off of Navtra or not and yet people present this as if it's a fact.

Do people on this forum not care about the truth or what is reasonable to believe? If I wanted to be surrounded by logical fallacies all day every day I would post on Resetera instead of here.
I've tried to track down the whole thing and its quite weird, a Soulshunt profile exists on REEEEera and he did really post there just wondering what it could be, then on may 22 he uploaded the video on youtube which was later picked up by a reddit user and gave a quick rundown, it is indeed the earliest detailed information as before that in the thread there was speculations by everyone on what it could be, including as a souls game. Navtra only gave the information that there was a new FF game to be announced, but not the details that Soulshunt did.
#TeamFake because Stadia officially debunked to have received a pitch, cancelled a game or anything with Kojima. They mentioned they talked with many potential partners but that it doesn't mean that ends on a pitch or in a signed deal.

Plus since Death Stranding Kojipro ported it to PC and has been making the Director's Cut. They are only about 80 people and Kojima said they were highly impacted by Covid so couldn't do a lot of stuff. So if this non-Sony game would be real pretty likely it would be in very early stages of development or even preproduction.

But Death Stranding and its PC port were profitable and got good reviews, so Kojipro and Sony must be happy with each other. Something proven with seeing them together again with Director's Cut. I don't see why they wouldn't want to work again together for their next project. It's highly doubtful that the reason would be to see it too risky when they made the bizarre Death Stranding and Sony is so happy with the idea that are repeating the 'let's fund a 2nd party new IP from the new studio of the creators of XXX super huge AAA IP giving them full creative freedom' three times with the Destiny, COD BO and AC people.
Google will never go out there and say "yes we did have contact with X person" because nothing came through, and Jeff Grubb is by far the most reliable source over Xbox and got almost everything right except for some dates that were slipped on the last minute such as BF2042 presentation and the mistake over Scarlet Nexus being on Gamepass day one with another game.

yurinka

Google will never go out there and say "yes we did have contact with X person" because nothing came through, and Jeff Grubb is by far the most reliable source over Xbox and got almost everything right except for some dates that were slipped on the last minute such as BF2042 presentation and the mistake over Scarlet Nexus being on Gamepass day one with another game.
Many things Grubb said were guesses that many other people also did. And he also had many fails like insisting on that Starfield was going to be a 2021 game.

In a normal situation, Google didn't need to say if they contacted or not Kojima. But they went out to deny the rumors that they rejected pitches/cancelled projects with Kojima and Yu Suzuki because that did happen just after they did shut down their internal game projects and that sends enough negative PR brand image to the people to their brand, so they had to protect the brand from fake rumors that would add extra negative image on top with things that aren't real.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
wsdsdQt.png

Who? Doubt it would be better than Siren Blood Curse.

Keiichiro Toyama is already working on a project at Bokeh studio.

People can want Kojima's alleged Silent Hill title all they want, but anyone who was responsible for the good aspects of the Silent Hill IP have long moved on.

I believe that Abandon is Kojima, everything else does not make sense, there are too many coincidences and unexplainable things.

Now I will not 100% deny the Microsoft rumors, but if he will make a XBOX exclusive game, he will also work on something for PlayStation, because this is the only way without pissing of most of his Japanese fan base. I live already 12 years in Japan and know the mentality of Japanese people. If Kojima would sign a deal with Microsoft (an American company) and don’t make something for Sony at the same time, people here will feel betrayed. And considering his long history here in Japan and the fact that he was often close to his fan base, I am sure that is the last thing he wants.

Wait, he is about to sign the contract? When are the games coming out again?
I could not care less about cloud powered episodic content, so I selfishly wish he has a more conventional title on the side.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

All valid points. Though there is always a possibility that Kojima works with Microsoft, or any other company for that matter because he is an independent game developer after all. However, the way Jeff has talked about this rumor makes me think that even if it is true, it is not about a game.

This is what Jeff Grubb said:
As for what Kojima’s game actually is, few people know. The point of the partnership is to unlock the creativity of Kojima Productions using Microsoft’s technology as opposed to greenlighting a specific pitch.

To be fair to Jeff, he does say 'a new Xbox game' multiple times in the article, but this particular sentence does not make sense in that regard.

If it is not a specific pitch, then it is definitely not a game. How could it be a game without a pitch. Unless Microsoft is saying "make whatever you want, and you don't have to pitch it, and we don't even have to greenlight it?" It does not work like this -- especially when you are signing a contract. You mention every little detail in there.

To me, this sounds more like using Microsoft's xCloud technology (or perhaps some other technology) at a studio level and make independent games. Through this deal, it is possible that whatever game Kojima makes that uses this specific technology would also have to come on the Xbox platform.

Vognerful

I believe that Abandon is Kojima, everything else does not make sense, there are too many coincidences and unexplainable things.

Now I will not 100% deny the Microsoft rumors, but if he will make a XBOX exclusive game, he will also work on something for PlayStation, because this is the only way without pissing of most of his Japanese fan base. I live already 12 years in Japan and know the mentality of Japanese people. If Kojima would sign a deal with Microsoft (an American company) and don’t make something for Sony at the same time, people here will feel betrayed. And considering his long history here in Japan and the fact that he was often close to his fan base, I am sure that is the last thing he wants.
Why would he care about the Japanese fan base when his games are directed at western audience. Hell, Japanese people are not buying PS4 or 5 games enough to justify tickling their balls.

Vognerful

How does this compare to the MGS remake with credibility? I only heard about how some posters here confirm it is happening but I am not sure how true it is.

Why would he care about the Japanese fan base when his games are directed at western audience. Hell, Japanese people are not buying PS4 or 5 games enough to justify tickling their balls.
He is living in Japan. Do you want to live in a country where many people hate you? Japanese people have a strong feeling of “Japan first”, that’s also why many Japanese people will buy mostly Japanese products if there is a Japanese alternative and therefore XBOX will remain a small player here.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
How does this compare to the MGS remake with credibility? I only heard about how some posters here confirm it is happening but I am not sure how true it is.
What we have regarding Metal Gear is the word of that leaker (Kate?) from Era. Also, David Hayter heard something too.
We also have that Death Stranding DC trailer with the MG references, but it might be just for fun.

oldergamer

The rendering, physics calculations and data processing for the game is all done on your local hardware, not in the cloud. You can opt to download all the data you need long before you go on a flight anywhere. The fact that the data is available online is a convenience rather than a necessity.

"Power of the cloud" was borne out of the idea that physics calculations would be done in the cloud in crackdown 3 and then sent to your local machine because the local hardware wouldn't be able to process the calculations as accurately/quickly.

When you use Google maps for GPS do you call it "power of the cloud" or do you see it for what it is, map/traffic data streaming?

The latest update for AMS2 allows you to use 42 years of historical weather data for races that is accurate on a per-hour basis, is that also "power of the cloud"?

The only time "power of the cloud" is accurate is if something is being rendered or calculated online due to the task being too intense for the local hardware it's being visualised on. Power of the cloud is stadia or X cloud running on a mobile phone, not an instance where data is being stored online to give players the option to not have their flight sim install folder be 200+ GB.
This!!! So tired of people using the term "power of the cloud" in a negative or stupid way. You are spot on man.

Crackdown had its issues due to it being dramatically scaled back. It also wasnt the same game when playing in the cloud which made it an even worst example.

Stadia and xcloud are much better examples.

Top Bottom