• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS: A $60,000,000 Disaster - The Controversial Tragedy of Too Human

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tumultuous development cycles have long plagued video games from conception to release. In some cases, the turmoil stems from poor management. Funding-related issues stifle progress on several occasions, as well. And projects that hop from one studio to another in a precarious game of hot potato rarely arrive at the finish line in a respectable state. But what of the titles whose protracted development rested on the back of one vision, fueled by previously well-managed teams with funding from publishers boasting an excess of wealth? The critically panned Too Human from Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness creator Silicon Knights fit perfectly into this strange stew of circumstance.

What began in the 1990s as an ambitious, five-disc adventure for the original PlayStation morphed into a GameCube exclusive after the turn of the century. Leading production on two Nintendo exclusives kept Silicon Knights away from what co-founder and President Denis Dyack described as the studio’s dream project, which resurfaced in 2005 as an Xbox 360 game. Too Human’s creation, thus, spanned three different platforms across three console generations. Unsurprisingly, the Norse mythology-inspired product that Microsoft published in 2008 bore little in common with the Blade Runner-esque build that ran on PS1 during E3 1999.

The specifics about what went wrong remain shrouded in mystery. But reports concerning Silicon Knights’ management style post-Nintendo paint a pretty clear picture of the rocky road that may have paved the way for Too Human’s disastrous last stand.

This is the tragedy of Too Human.

Intro 0:00
The Tragedy of Too Human 3:10

PJX

I know a team that wanted to remake this game but MS shot it down. I would have love to se it come to fruition.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
You fight a cyborg bear in the intro. I really don’t understand how that game could ever fail. Mind you that intro is 5fps

A Cyborg Bear? , I think it was a Cyborg Gorilla :messenger_grinning_squinting:.

Almost with the movements of the characters they are robotic and it is difficult to distinguish what it is.

I played through this on Xbox one when it came to it for free. I think it had a better framerate on that hardware. It was overall ok, maybe 6-7/10. The setting was decent but I think the combat got boring fairly quick and the looting system was just meh. Been a long ass time since I played it though.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

6:14 If we look at it in super slow motion (0.25), the weapons in the hands don't appear until just a fraction of a millisecond.

the-only-constant-was-change-1610489433.jpg

Holy crap its bad

I think after MGS twin snakes they thought they were the shit in in cinematics, even though MGS is pure cheese, that didn't translate well at all to Too human.

I vaguely recall that the Too human pitch early on Playstation was that it would kind of be like a 3rd person System Shock where you could modify your cybernetics, it seemed more down to earth.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m one of the few that tolerated the game, and wound up enjoying it.

Execution was rough, but there was a good game buried in there.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Best part about the game was GAFs reactions to it at the time.

Iced Arcade

Can anyone link the for / against post? It’s got to be one of the all time classics.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Yah the graphics for that game always looked shitty and didnt the combat just consist of flapping around the Rstick? And not in a good way like Rise to Honor.

I’m definitely in the minority but I really like this game.

Over the last few years I’ve replayed it twice. I love the combat, jumping between enemies with the right stick just works well and feels fun. I wish someone would do that type of combat again.

Bummed about the trilogy getting canceled.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

When actual developers were on this forum… those were the days.

GametimeUK

The trolls had a field day with this release back in the day on message boards and news sites. It was beautiful. Such a disappointment.

Sentenza

I kinda like some of the content of this channel, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT if they don't always go overboard with their dramatic titles.

Top Bottom