• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS: The Rise and Fall of Dino Crisis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Capcom published the Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara-created Resident Evil for the original PlayStation in 1996, lighting the way for survival horror as a genre and reinvigorating interest in zombies across popular culture. Several sequels and spinoffs followed in the wake of its meteoric success, and though Mikami produced each one, his hands-on involvement in the franchise’s day-to-day development significantly reduced after the release of Resident Evil 2 in 1998. Such a pivot gave the visionary room to lead production on Dino Crisis, another tension-filled adventure that shook survival horror to its core.

Mikami set his sights on a sub level of the horror spectrum, however, conceptualizing the “panic horror” sub-genre to differentiate Resident Evil’s fear factor from that of Dino Crisis. Like its undead enemies, the zombie series induced terror slowly, evoking tension at a plodding pace which allowed players time to escape, hide, and gather their thoughts. Dino Crisis permitted no such reprieve, its prehistoric antagonists proving faster, stronger, and smarter than the average Resident Evil foe. This change in tempo, along with the introduction of a 3D engine, begat a winning recipe, one that turned Dino Crisis into Capcom’s next big franchise.

Naturally, sequels were pursued and developed. Many would contend Dino Crisis 2 stood head and shoulders above its predecessor. Others were unconvinced. Reverence for the Dino Crisis follow-up entries effectively stopped there, with most fans harboring no love for titles such as Dino Crisis 3. Worst still, the brand’s dormancy following the third mainline outing suggested Capcom struggled with how best to bring its digital dinosaurs back from extinction.

This is the rise and fall of Dino Crisis.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
How about a Dino Crisis remake?

No? A 12th Resident Evil should do the trick. I honestly haven’t played RE since OG 1&2 and wouldn’t have any idea on where to start or want to.

Rykan

No? A 12th Resident Evil should do the trick. I honestly haven’t played RE since OG 1&2 and wouldn’t have any idea on where to start or want to.
If you're looking to get back into the franchise, you can start with 7 and then just play the remakes of 2 through 4 once it comes out. RE 7 isn't technically a reboot, but you can safely jump into it without feeling lost as it doesn't really depend of the previous titles.

anthony2690

Banned

Play the remakes, they are excellent.

Or skip to 7 & 8.

I also hope they remake dino crises 1 & 2 one day.

Classic RE4 rocks and is the best Resident Evil game if you aren't playing them for the jump-scares. I reckon it is one of the more influential action games of all time. RE2 remake is also very good, though I had more fun playing RE4. RE2 remake is spookier than RE4, which is pretty much like Army of Darkness when it comes to spooky levels (ie, comedic, very violent, and with a semi horror theme)

Top Bottom