• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades Becomes The Highest-Rated Game of All Time On PS5 and Xbox Series X

Holammer

I mean... Those are 1yo systems, not much competition is there?
But it's a good game, it's the #2 top rated game on Steam, alongside games like Terraria & Stardew Valley.
I'd love to see such user reviews on consoles too, so we get more fine-grained data, but publishers don't like 'em and all the numbers are business secrets, so it's not happening.

DX64VVa.jpg

Actually 154k reviews, Steam codes sold on third party sites are not included as standard.

Had a lot of fun at launch and played 5/6 runs after people started talking about it again.
The only downside is that the first area gets too easy and become boring
But that was after 40 tries so probably excepted

Javthusiast

Banned
Every time I see this gif I have to rewatch John Woo's Chow Yun-fat HK Blood Opera saga in the form of A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2, The Killer and Hard Boiled. I can't wait for Bullet in the Head to come out in 4K soon, never seen that one.

I am ashamed to say I still haven't seen any of the films you mentioned, despite hearing they are great and being a fan of asian cinema.

Need to find out if any streaming service has them.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I tried the game pass version a couple of hours and didn't like it so far. I'd rather play an ARPG suited to gamepad like victor vran or van Helsing.

Maybe I am a little burned out on rogue like mechanics since I've played 40 hours of SOR 4 survival on the past 2 weeks

Tschumi

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Am I supposed to think it's a big deal that a game is the "highest rated of all time" on a console that's less than a year old?

Edit: goooo greg kasavin!

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Finally gave this a shot last night since it's on Gamepass. I figured it must be good, but not that good.

Well, I'm eating crow, it's incredible. I even abandoned my desktop for the home theater experience because the soundtrack is so badass. Before I knew it I had played 2 hours and it was way after my usual bedtime.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I am going to try it. Perhaps I will be stunned, because it doesn't look like something that will click with me. I never play rogue-likes so I'm not hiding my ignorance here, it's just my initial impression. When I look at it, I get the same feeling as when I watch someone play an MMO. I just get turned off.

Definitely prepared to be proved wrong though. I'm sure it's being praised for a good reason, I just don't know how I'll personally feel.

Finally gave this a shot last night since it's on Gamepass. I figured it must be good, but not that good.

Well, I'm eating crow, it's incredible. I even abandoned my desktop for the home theater experience because the soundtrack is so badass. Before I knew it I had played 2 hours and it was way after my usual bedtime.

Pretty much my experience…except that I don’t have a PC. But my god, playing Hades on my big OLED, with the colours and movement, wowzers….yeah, between this and Flight Sim, and a bunch of other Game Pass stuff (talk about two opposite ends of the gaming spectrum) I’m a very happy gaming camper right now.

Dream-Knife

Banned
So I have the best PS5 and Xbox game on my switch? Neat.

I thought the game was ok. It's a bit too repetitive of a genre to hold my interest for long.

Hestar69

I REALLY want to like this game,Love supergiants previous games,but rogue games are super boring to me. going through the same levels over and over isn't fun. Shame as I bought it on switch and thought maybe on xbox I'll like it more and I don't..

The art and music is top teir tho.

Alx

Ah yes, the Greek gods and their mythology.

Always known for being super hetero, and not at all gay or feminine.

The Office Reaction GIF
I honestly didn't see any trans reference in there (admittedly I skip through most dialogs while getting the gist of it). Achilles and Patrocles being lovers is canon in Homer's poems, so that part is legit anyway (generally speaking the mentions to ancient Greek mythology seem faithful enough).

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Ok gave it a chance as I'm newbie in rouglike/lite genre. Experienced very addictive first few hours, managed to get to Medusa two times but to be honest it starts to be boring. For me game is massivly overrated, can't imagine anybody give it 10/10. For sure is addictive, has interesting storytelling, but its just simple rouglike and also graphics style is not that impressive (to close to some cheap flash era back in the day). I think psychology here is that if somebody manage to beat hard game its automatically 10/10, even tough its just a good game but nothing outstanding.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Can't say I'm surprised. Been playing this game a lot recently and it's fantastic, probably the best game I've played this year.

Haven't played many games in the genre before, I've tried some but have never been hooked.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I honestly didn't see any trans reference in there (admittedly I skip through most dialogs while getting the gist of it). Achilles and Patrocles being lovers is canon in Homer's poems, so that part is legit anyway (generally speaking the mentions to ancient Greek mythology seem faithful enough).
I'm not aware of any Trans references in Hades, but it certainly wouldn't be out of place.

Greeks were a bunch of kinky bastards.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think psychology here is that if somebody manage to beat hard game its automatically 10/10

Nah, the game has grown on me somewhere halfway through my first successful run, I already knew the game was damn awesome, I did however have a "fuck this game, this is BS!" moments somewhere between 5-10th run, but then the game started to unlock more and more stuff, I started to became more powerful and understand the mechanics/encounters much better, especially the boss fights. But the story and characters are great from the get-go, the gameplay is super fun, the visuals - I guess its a matter of taste, but I love the presentation, such comic-like artstyle, and the vivid colors that just pop on my OLED. It's a really great, fun game that just keeps on giving the more you play it, even after finishing the story which takes 10 successful runs, it tells a more compelling story than most AAA blockbuster games, and shits on them when it comes to content too.

GHG

Gold Member
Ok gave it a chance as I'm newbie in rouglike/lite genre. Experienced very addictive first few hours, managed to get to Medusa two times but to be honest it starts to be boring. For me game is massivly overrated, can't imagine anybody give it 10/10. For sure is addictive, has interesting storytelling, but its just simple rouglike and also graphics style is not that impressive (to close to some cheap flash era back in the day). I think psychology here is that if somebody manage to beat hard game its automatically 10/10, even tough its just a good game but nothing outstanding.

You haven't finished your first successful run.

The game just begins after your first successful run. It's basically diablo-lite the roguelike.

VAL0R

Banned
Achilles and Patrocles being lovers is canon in Homer's poems, so that part is legit anyway (generally speaking the mentions to ancient Greek mythology seem faithful enough).
I've read that this isn't true. My understanding is some readers later interpreted his works this way, but Homer himself never explicitly described their relationship as homosexual.

Banned
It's so good I'm not dropping it despite the heavy handed homosexual/trans pandering.

so you are surprised that a game based on ancient greek mythology... a society in which a man having sex with 14yo boys was not out of the ordinary... has homosexual themes...

🤔

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wish I got the fun of this game, I just cant get into it. Its the same thing.. over and over and over and over with nothing beautiful to look at or any grand story to keep me engaged. I dont find the controls to be that great either. I just dont understand where the love is coming from. I'm sur emy mind is just having trouble engaging with whatever its hook is, but maybe someone can describe what they find fun about it?

Last edited:

Thief1987

Now it's Quake! 😏

Alx

I've read that this isn't true. My understanding is some readers later interpreted his works this way, but Homer himself never explicitly described their relationship as homosexual.
I just read about it, and Homer didn't explicitly state it indeed, but to the question "are Achilles and Patrocles lovers", most antique readers would answer "well, duh ! I wonder why Homer never said it out right".
There wasn't anything exceptional in young warriors having intimate homosexual relationships, as a matter of fact most of them wouldn't have the opportunity to touch a woman before their 20s, considering they spent their whole youth in training/war. Even considering the possibility that such a relationship isn't what Homer intended, it's still the most common interpretation, and in that regard the one in Hades is nothing out of the ordinary.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I am going to try it. Perhaps I will be stunned, because it doesn't look like something that will click with me. I never play rogue-likes so I'm not hiding my ignorance here, it's just my initial impression. When I look at it, I get the same feeling as when I watch someone play an MMO. I just get turned off.

Definitely prepared to be proved wrong though. I'm sure it's being praised for a good reason, I just don't know how I'll personally feel.
Quoting myself.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. It's now Monday morning and I have an itch to take a work break and play, which I probably shouldn't do. The worst thing about this game is what it does to my aging hands.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have been stuck at the final boss for like 5 hours now. Depending on the RNG, I cant even beat the third bosses. Let alone the final boss. Went in with four lives against the final but and died because he does insane damage and has two lives himself. Lame.

Thankfully the game is so much fun I keep playing but I really wish they had some better more defensive builds.

WitchHunter

I wish I got the fun of this game, I just cant get into it. Its the same thing.. over and over and over and over with nothing beautiful to look at or any grand story to keep me engaged. I dont find the controls to be that great either. I just dont understand where the love is coming from. I'm sur emy mind is just having trouble engaging with whatever its hook is, but maybe someone can describe what they find fun about it?
People listen to U2, and Cold Play too... Signal sent that it must be loved, so people love it.

Sophist

But it's a good game, it's the #2 top rated game on Steam, alongside games like Terraria & Stardew Valley.
I'd love to see such user reviews on consoles too, so we get more fine-grained data, but publishers don't like 'em and all the numbers are business secrets, so it's not happening.

DX64VVa.jpg

Actually 154k reviews, Steam codes sold on third party sites are not included as standard.

it's #2 on steamdb which uses its own rating algorithm. it's actually #4 on steam. https://steam250.com/top250

Sgt.Asher

Great art direction and excellent character development, kudos for putting in a good story. Not the best roguelike though, runs get repetitive as the bosses and areas are the same. The powerups aren't that diverse either. The difficulty "slider" is a great implementation, better than most other roguelikes.

DX64VVa.jpg
or

Microsoft Store on Xbox has user reviews and ratings for every game like steam.

iHaunter

I just don't get it. I love Rogue-likes/lites. This game is a 6-7/10 max. The combat is okay, very repetitive. The room designs are generally similar and the creature design was plain.

I found the dialogue cringy as well.

I just don't get it. I love Rogue-likes/lites. This game is a 6-7/10 max. The combat is okay, very repetitive. The room designs are generally similar and the creature design was plain.

I loved the game for all the reasons you didn’t. But this is to be expected with the variation of tastes among gaming individuals.

I mean, I was pretty jazzed to try DQ 11 on GamePass given that so many people raved about it. I couldn’t play more than a few hours of it and I just moved on. Lots of games out there that I‘d like better…..like Hades. :messenger_grinning:

SoraNoKuni

I always liked Supergiant games, bought it as soon as it released on PS5, I would actually like it a bit harder on standard difficulty, now after beating hades for the first time though(The shield is kinda OP) it has some nice difficulty bump options.

Surely I'll play this game a lot.

9.5/10 for sure.

(As a Greek it's also fun to see the mythology)

VAL0R

Banned
I just realized you can buy up to three death defiance perks. I've been struggling in the end game getting *this close* numerous times without 3 extra lives, lol. I'll be crushing the final boss now.

Edit:
I had all the green mirror perks activated (respawn once per room) on instead. I'm also going to start using the collar of Cerebus on Tartarus then swap it out in Asphodel for the extra health it grants for the duration of the run. I read this somewhere and didnt think of it myself.

Last edited:

nikolino840

I like the dialogues...when you die there's some story progression..i can't find any roguelike that i've played with this

I think games getting over 90 should be way more rare. 60 and 70 should be good and 80 great with very very few games getting over 90. I feel like if it's good it's 80+ which just leaves mediocre at 70 and not trash at 60. Everything needs to move down a tier

I think games getting over 90 should be way more rare. 60 and 70 should be good and 80 great with very very few games getting over 90. I feel like if it's good it's 80+ which just leaves mediocre at 70 and not trash at 60. Everything needs to move down a tier
That's how it works with movies. Everything above 7 is a legit good movie. Everything above 8 could be a masterpiece. And movies that are a 6 or 6.5 are usually still very watchable.

That's how it works with movies. Everything above 7 is a legit good movie. Everything above 8 could be a masterpiece. And movies that are a 6 or 6.5 are usually still very watchable.
Agreed. I also feel like people are rating what they didn't like way too low. If the game works fine, but you didn't enjoy it a 2 is not what it deserved.

Top Bottom