• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades, launching on PS4 & PS5 August 13

Fbh

Playing this on PC at the moment and it's great. Never really cared much for the roguelike/lite genre but this one grabbed me, it's one of those games where you randomly look at your watch and realize you've been playing for 3 hours without noticing.

So far the spear is my favorite weapon though the shield is probably "the best" mainly because it makes the hades fight A LOT easier

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hades, winner of 50+ GOTY awards, is out now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

Order your copy here: https://store.privatedivision.com/en/...

In this rogue-like dungeon crawler from the creators of Bastion and Transistor, you'll wield the powers and mythic weapons of Olympus to break free from the clutches of the god of the dead himself, while growing stronger and unraveling more of the story with each unique escape attempt.
This physical edition features a couple of bonus extras:

- A download code for the Hades Original Soundtrack, by composer Darren Korb, featuring two and a half hours of blood-pumping music created for the game.
-A full-color 32-page character compendium booklet, with artwork by Jen Zee, featuring the game's colorful cast of gods, ghosts, and monsters.

Kagey K

Banned
The game released on both next gen consoles today. I could have created a duplicate thread for just the Xbox version, or discussed it in the thread we already have. I chose the latter.
It’s a PS5 exclusive. That’s the only way to get ppl hyped about games and not call them shit anymore.

:messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Every weapon can become stupidly op in the right run, trust me i have like 80 hours on this thing...

Build your sword towards the area of effect attack until you unlock the latest form of the weapon where the swings are far more powerful.

Chukhopops

It’s a fantastic game but I maintain that it’s a bit limited as a roguelite because it lacks a bit of variety in the builds and upgrades.

Bought the Switch version last year and now going through it again on GP.

FranXico

You took money from Microsoft beforehand because you know it’s significantly weaker platform in terms of sales but expect us Sony consumers to actually pay for your shit. Na-ah, not in my house.
Voting with your wallet doesn't work any more when someone else pays devs beforehand.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'll spoiler tag these in case anyone considers them so but these are builds from some of my best runs on the PC version earlier this year in case anyone needs a push in the right direction:

ZDjrRA.png

ZDjtpM.png

ZDj1FQ.png

ZDjT0a.png

ZDjEBe.png

I don't think anything has been nerfed since then so the combinations should still apply.

Incredible game, strongly considering getting it again for PS5.

tried it but i don't see what's so special about it. people are making this out to be the "i'm not like other rogue-like games" game but it is. it's fucking shite, tedious, grindy, and boring.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Downloading this on GamePass now. I'm not the biggest roguelike/lite fan, but will give this a go, given all the plaudits it's received.

Is the story good? I generally struggle with games if the narrative isn't compelling.

Alx

Game is fine. I think I liked Undermine better, but Hades seems to have a much larger amount of content to unlock. It will probably turn the game into a time sink though, so I'll probably prevent myself from playing too much of it.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Is the story good? I generally struggle with games if the narrative isn't compelling.
On the one hand it is "just" another take on greek mythology and on the other hand they put so much love into it that it is hard not to love it.

Also a lot of style and weird nuances. And everything in short bursts. Together with a crazy amount of content.

Been in there for about 20 hours since Friday noon and I love it!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hope you guys are enjoying the game, and especially the music!

Robb

Gold Member
I've been playing this pretty much non-stop since yesterday. Super fun!

Didn't really know if I'd like it or not, but it's really addicting and seems extremely well thought out/designed. Kudos to the devs on this one.

xrnzaaas

Ffs I hate when the boss regenerates his health bar and it's not the end of the battle after all. You know which one I'm talking about. ;)

This game is Gungeon/Issac levels of crack, it has consumed my whole weekend. Damn near perfect and a masterclass of the genre.
Amazingly enough, it lacks the same thing that Gungeon lacks that keep it from GOAT status, daily runs and leaderboards.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well, after two or so hours and getting quite far into Asphodel:

Fuck me, what an addictive game. It's an absolute masterclass in effective progression.

One of my biggest complaints about roguelikes is that I get bored when there's not enough to keep me going, other than getting past the next boss (looking at you Returnal). This game blows that out of the water with the story, RPG elements, and stuff you can do in the House Of Hades.

Also, my thumb hurts.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Bluecondor

I picked it up yesterday and played it for several hours. I'm not a fan of games like this, as it just feels like button mashing for long periods of time. That said, the characters are really well developed and the dialogue is interesting. This is one of those rare games that I will play, even though I don't enjoy the actual gameplay, since the characters and world-building are so compelling.

This might be a strange comparison, but the gift-giving and relationship building with the various NPC gods is similar to gift-giving and relationship building with villager NPCs Animal Crossing. In Hades, you gift nectar in return for keepsakes, in Animal Crossing, you give gift-wrapped fruit in return for gifts/villager photos. In both games, this side activity gives you a reason to care about the NPCs.

Blond

Banned
Playing this on PC at the moment and it's great. Never really cared much for the roguelike/lite genre but this one grabbed me, it's one of those games where you randomly look at your watch and realize you've been playing for 3 hours without noticing.

So far the spear is my favorite weapon though the shield is probably "the best" mainly because it makes the hades fight A LOT easier
Wait till you get the “gun”

Doom Effects + Lightning Chaining will have you clearing rooms crazy quick. I finished 3 floors in 20 minutes when I first got it. I can’t wait to play it some more this weekend!

Mossybrew

Wait till you get the “gun”

Doom Effects + Lightning Chaining will have you clearing rooms crazy quick. I finished 3 floors in 20 minutes when I first got it. I can’t wait to play it some more this weekend!

Is that the last weapon that unlocks? I see it sitting there and yeah I guess it looks gun-ish, need like 5 more keys. I think I might like the spear even more than the bow. Still having a lot of fun though I've yet to clear the second boss, I always find myself beat down to almost nothing by the time I get to him.

I have played this game since EA and I had no idea there was a second set of unlocks for Nyx's mirror......
I'm a fuckin idiot.

Con-Z-epT

But will I like it even more if I liked Returnal?
They are different games. So don't compare the games and see if you liked the roguelike aspects of Returnal. If the answer is yes than you will love the roguelike elements in Hades.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Is it better to upgrade the normal attack or the special in terms of damage output? I'm getting mixed results with both depending on the weapon.

I also shoplifted from Charon today and the outcome was quite unexpected. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is it better to upgrade the normal attack or the special in terms of damage output? I'm getting mixed results with both depending on the weapon.

I also shoplifted from Charon today and the outcome was quite unexpected. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Totally varies depending on weapon and your boons and the type of weapon aspect you're using. There's builds for every type really!

Top Bottom