• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life Alyx: Levitation - Gameplay Trailer

8BiTw0LF

Banned

About 7 minutes to enjoy the action of this new campaign created by Half Life fans.

The outcome of the great Half-Life Alyx left us wanting even more for Half Life 3, of course, but also to learn more about Alyx Vance and the challenges that lay ahead. For now, Valve has not confirmed either one project or the other, so we have to pull in fans to liven up the wait in the best possible way, and here comes this promising Half-Life Alyx: Levitation.

During the PC Gaming Show, an extensive gameplay of about 7 minutes of this free DLC created by fans has been presented, which provides 4 to 5 hours of additional gameplay. Among its managers we find Counter Strike: GO map designer and artist Shawn Snelling, along with animator Corey Laddo and other modders, voice actors
and volunteer animators. What does Levitation offer?

As its teaser already anticipated, in this DLC two members of the resistance have discovered a strange floating building on the outskirts of City 17, and Alyx goes there right after the events of the original game. “The essential premise involves Alyx receiving a distress signal from two resistance members, Maya and Barry, about secret Combine technology buried inside a quarantine zone,” reports one of Levitation’s authors.

“With Russell’s help, Alyx heads deep into Combine territory to investigate the threat while searching for Maya and Barry.” With the suspicion that Gordon Freeman is there, this free DLC promises to make us vibrate with emotion the shootings and challenges that he proposes, also relying on the great mysteries of the series such as the presence of G-Man. At the moment there is no release date for this mod.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
If Valve did back PSVR2 that would certainly big a bonus for Sony.
Independence Day Match GIF by Paramount Network

hlm666

Maybe some decade they'll make a non-VR conversion of HL Alyx. I doubt it'd even take much time, it's like free money almost.
There are mods that made it playable not in vr, and it's a pretty boring game playing it that way. It's been designed to take into account that doing things in real life actually take time and energy so it's a much slower pace than an fps where you can turn 360 degrees in an instant and move around at break neck speeds for hours without tiring.

jaysius

Banned
There are mods that made it playable not in vr, and it's a pretty boring game playing it that way. It's been designed to take into account that doing things in real life actually take time and energy so it's a much slower pace than an fps where you can turn 360 degrees in an instant and move around at break neck speeds for hours without tiring.
Yea, I've seen those mods, thus the hope that Valve themselves would convert the game better into 2D than just a simple mod.

Yoda

Yea, I've seen those mods, thus the hope that Valve themselves would convert the game better into 2D than just a simple mod.
It'd be a different game at that point? They'd have to change the level design and most likely add more to compensate how quickly you'd be able to roll through them. Given it'll get compared to modern single player FPSes like DOOM, it'd be a really tough sell tbh.

I just hope we'll see a PSVR2 version :)

Almost no chance of this happening depending on Sony's VR strategy, which is almost certainly going to expand to PC at some point.

I expect Valve will growingly see Sony as a competitor.

If I recall, they didn't release any games on PS4.

Despite what many PC gamers feel/think, Sony is almost certainly going to release its own PC launcher and will probably enable PC VR support via that launcher. It doesn't make sense for Sony to pour money into VR games, but have that siloed off by the PS5 market base. Makes way more sense to publish these games on both PS5 and PC, just like it does with their non-VR titles, but even more so with VR since the market is so much smaller. I expect after about a year on PS5, we'll see Sony announce PC support.

I'm sure the PC VR dev community would welcome an alternative to Steam VR and Oculus ain't it. I don't think Valve or Oculus can compete directly with Sony in terms of game development and right now they have the best consumer hardware. Huge advantage for Sony at the moment.

But as a result, don't expect to see Half Life Alyx on PS5 anytime soon.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bookmarked so I don't forget, thanks man.

Hope it's at least half as good as the original. Lovely game.

k_trout

booted it up this morning and its running fine, pc obviously needed a shutdown not just a restart

and WOW this game is so good, the levels and atmosphere and gameplay are all top class
valve need to hire whoever made this

Top Bottom