• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx |OT| Three's Company

cryogenic7

Watching a youtuber play it and I actually got bored lol. Just gimmics and so far not a single enemy on screen. Alyx's new voice actress is also as flat as a board.

They nailed the Half Life feel though. Overal looks like a good VR game but an average game overall.
You are watching people play the beginning tutorial sections. The game itself is just as good, if not better than HL2 and the episodes once it gets going.. It IS a full half life game.

DanEON

I just have to say - this might be my favorite gaming experience of all time. I hesitate to even call it a game it’s like being in the live action movie version of half life. It’s truly unreal. Has it’s flaws but man this feels like the future - I didn’t think we were close to being able to do this sort of stuff.
Thats exactly how I see it.

Romulus

I just have to say - this might be my favorite gaming experience of all time. I hesitate to even call it a game it’s like being in the live action movie version of half life. It’s truly unreal. Has it’s flaws but man this feels like the future - I didn’t think we were close to being able to do this sort of stuff.

Exactly what my friend told me on the phone this morning, and he's running with bare bone minimum specs.

Seriously, I know most us here don't like resetera(I don't) but theres like over 1000+ impressions of people absolutely gushing over this game. It's the real deal.

rofif

Banned
Finished this. Amazing game.
The experience is just perfect although the story told and path taken is rather small.... now to the spoiler thread since I am wtf

Exactly what my friend told me on the phone this morning, and he's running with bare bone minimum specs.

Seriously, I know most us here don't like resetera(I don't) but theres like over 1000+ impressions of people absolutely gushing over this game. It's the real deal.

im on absolute min specs as well with a rift s. I truly don’t understand how you can play this and not be totally gobsmacked. Whatever graphical tricks they’re using - they work. Very VERY well. Hopefully people open their minds to this - never experienced anything like it and I’ve played essentially all the top VR Games since I bought the rift a month ago. Kinda reminds me of how revolutionary the first Half lIfe was when they introduced scripted events - which I’d never seen before at the time. This thing is truly insane

lUcU7Pq.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned
im on absolute min specs as well with a rift s. I truly don’t understand how you can play this and not be totally gobsmacked. Whatever graphical tricks they’re using - they work. Very VERY well. Hopefully people open their minds to this - never experienced anything like it and I’ve played essentially all the top VR Games since I bought the rift a month ago. Kinda reminds me of how revolutionary the first Half lIfe was when they introduced scripted events - which I’d never seen before at the time. This thing is truly insane

yeah and unfortunately 2d videos of it do it no justice. it looks kind of dull in flat screen without all the 3d details popping out of objects, feeling of presence in a big space, etc

rofif

Banned
lol if 31 yo me would time travel and tell 15 yo me that "You will play a "kitty climbed the fence" lullaby melody... in virtual reality in piano in next half-life game"
I would be confused.
And I did that today... and I am still confused

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I forgot how fatiguing it is standing and playing a VR game for 3 hours straight.
A brilliant game. The best VR game i've ever played.

Romulus

Just fnished it. Holy shit.

I highly doubt this will be topped for me for a long time. There are layers of polish that come together for something special. Nintendo does some of this, but they don't push the envelope on tech. That's always been so unique when a project comes together as an incredible game but also a technological marvel, very rare. This does that.

I actually felt like a badass here more than with Freeman. It took time, but my God was learning the mechanics and upgrading rewarding. I have no clue how Valve could step backwards with a nonVR game in this universe. It just elevates the gameplay so much in practice.

I had 3 crashes in loading screens, those were my only complaints. Phenomenal. The visuals are top 3 of anything I've ever played too, in or out of VR

Last edited:
I think the opening scene looking over City 17 was a masterstroke. They hit you in the face with something gob smacking right at the beginning. Even gave you a few toys to play with. Anyone else throw a can at a pigeon? Just me? Ok lol :)

Shortly after that they they throw Striders in your face in close up. The effect? Jaw dropping. They want to grab you, make you realise that they are going to teach you how a VR game should be . Does it work? YES.

I am in awe. I am. 48 years of age and been gaming since I was 11. You kids haven't a clue how amazing this stuff really is :messenger_beaming:

rofif

Banned
ok so for for 2nd playthrough I don't want to stand for another 14 hours... my calfs are hard as rock and spasming just when I think about vr after last 2 days :p
Few questions.

I've found that in accessibility You can set "stand" option which raises me from my real sitting position to ingame standing with a click of a left thumb stick. One problem is that it's not as tall as I am when I am standing for real. Any way to adjust that?
And another thing - I've finished the game with continuous and 45 quick turning. Wanted to try smooth turning this time around but... it doesn't work? Even after I disable quick turn, it's still snapping.

Anyway - it's super nice and relaxing to play sitting down. Click of a thumb stick and I am crouching, another click and I am standing. Now I can take time and explore all nooks and crannies I didn't had energy to crouch to :lollipop_crying:
Boris The Spider Boris The Spider I am 31 and Literally teared up in awe yesterday when I started it. I am gaming since I was 7 in 1996.. from Doom and quake to this ! waterfall in Unreal was a milestone for graphics, moving mouths and cinematography in Half-Life was another and hl2 was physics. This is vr

Last edited:
ok so for for 2nd playthrough I don't want to stand for another 14 hours... my calfs are hard as rock and spasming just when I think about vr after last 2 days :p
Few questions.

I've found that in accessibility You can set "stand" option which raises me from my real sitting position to ingame standing with a click of a left thumb stick. One problem is that it's not as tall as I am when I am standing for real. Any way to adjust that?
And another thing - I've finished the game with continuous and 45 quick turning. Wanted to try smooth turning this time around but... it doesn't work? Even after I disable quick turn, it's still snapping.

Anyway - it's super nice and relaxing to play sitting down. Click of a thumb stick and I am crouching, another click and I am standing. Now I can take time and explore all nooks and crannies I didn't had energy to crouch to :lollipop_crying:
Boris The Spider Boris The Spider I am 31 and Literally teared up in awe yesterday when I started it. I am gaming since I was 7 in 1996.. from Doom and quake to this ! waterfall in Unreal was a milestone for graphics, moving mouths and cinematography in Half-Life was another and hl2 was physics. This is vr

Hugs! What a great time to be alive and see how technology has moved our hobby forwards. Can't quite believe it.

sol_bad

Can someone please answer a question about the story. I don't want to know what the actual story or ending is but I'm wondering if the story some how connects back to episode 2?
Please put the answer in spoilers in case other people don't want to know.

rofif

Banned
Can someone please answer a question about the story. I don't want to know what the actual story or ending is but I'm wondering if the story some how connects back to episode 2?
Please put the answer in spoilers in case other people don't want to know.
you NEED to play episode 2

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
my back hurts like hell after playing 4 hours straight.

it's one of the best vr games.

And i really dislike VR gaming for long periods. As animal crossing or eternal are just well more casual in gameplay.

but for gameplay in gaming this is a generational leap. Just like super mario 64.

2D to 3D to VR this game is writing how actual vr games should work.

Will this game make me play more VR games? probably not as the VR goggles are still bulky af and i have been spoiled rotten by 4k + HDR + dolby atmos or 120+hz stuff

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also a small Alyx patch already. Yay, smooth turning and stuff:
Also, damn:
OculusClient_2020_03_24_17_03_30_670.png
I just got past the part with the blind enemy, what a finely crafted adventure this is, though I believe it bugged for me while messing around throwing bottles all over the place as it was NOT roaming the cramped area with the battery cell behind the crank powered gate so I got off easy there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still only chapter 4 (3 hours or so in), but man this game just keeps surprising me. Have a huge grin on my face almost the whole time. I'm starting to get quite good at the combat, too.

rofif

Banned
Great for the patch! my 2nd playthrough will be seated(it' more comfortable rather than standing for 15 hours) and smooth turning will be great with seated

Last edited:

Alexios

1.png

Guess only 3% get sick/don't like the game/don't even have VR but got the game just to bash it and refund/whatever other reason there is to not recommend it meaning any individual reason is an even lesser % :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

INC

Completed it, it's a decent 8/10, but very slow paced and actually the game play feels very 5 years ago in VR terms

I wanna see how the modding community shape this now

Thaedolus

Other people are complaining of the very same thing, interesting.

Ps.- I can prove it to you by PM Al3x1s .

JFC get a hobby. I’m overweight and in my mid 30s and I’m not experiencing any issues standing for prolonged periods of time. I’ve even been ducking behind cover and poking my head around corners- the horror of what this gaming modality could do to my fragile corporeal structure!

Alexios

JFC get a hobby. I’m overweight and in my mid 30s and I’m not experiencing any issues standing for prolonged periods of time. I’ve even been ducking behind cover and poking my head around corners- the horror of what this gaming modality could do to my fragile corporeal structure!
I could say I got a headache by staying up 48 hours to play and he'd prove it's the game's fault as other people complained of the same thing, lol. Yes, being active takes a given toll, no it doesn't mean they dislike the game for it, if anything the opposite given they play until they get past their limit.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm about to start my 2nd playthrough. Can't get this game off my mind.

While the critic reviews were really great with this game, the user reviews are what surprised me. I've seen hundreds that are gushing about this game on 3-4 different forums. It's the consistency of the praise in the comments that is really impressive. Not to mention 97% on Steam with over 7k ratings.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Never played VR but it seems like a Spiderman VR game where you use webs to get around would work pretty well?

Also I'm seeing all these people complaining about pain from standing for a few hours? That pain is a good thing guys, and much required it sounds like lol

I really wish I didn't have to wait 2 months to get an index FML

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Just tried continous turning... oh god. The vomit.... it's everywhere.
Somehow continous movement does not make me ill but turning? like INSTANTLY. It's better if You speed it up from default 22 but snap still the best (or just rotating for realz which I cannot do on borrowed cv1)

Romulus

Never played VR but it seems like a Spiderman VR game where you use webs to get around would work pretty well?

Also I'm seeing all these people complaining about pain from standing for a few hours? That pain is a good thing guys, and much required it sounds like lol

I really wish I didn't have to wait 2 months to get an index FML

They have a spiderman free game thats actually decent. It's not AAA, but quick experience. I'd love to see a big budget spidey game too. Iron Man is coming to psvr and the previews are solid.

I would try for a Rift S of you can't wait. Its good all around and fairly cheap at $400. I like the Index but comfort wise it loses to the Rift S.

Last edited:

chris121580

I'm absolutely loving it and it's a game changer to be able to play it through the virtual desktop on a quest with no tethering. I never get tired of using the gravity gloves and tossing things up and catching them. The game is also gorgeous

Alexios

There are some pretty obvious complaints (from playing much more since there are even more sections where free locomotion proves insufficient, there's a lot of jumping in some sections you can only do with the teleportation interface and what not, I wasn't aware of it all when I wrote that and it's quite jarring for me) for some who have played other VR games and they're ingrained in the very basics like character/hand control. Sure it's pretty much the only scripted linear action FPS adventure with high production values but people have seen some things done better before and it would have been great if Alyx did that too, on top of what it already does. I maintain it's another great in a long line of great VR games rather than the second coming of jesus, the first killer app, etc., some wanna claim which is cool for Alyx but unfair to many great VR experiences and the medium so far.

Last edited:
There are some pretty obvious complaints (from playing much more since there are even more sections where free locomotion proves insufficient, there's a lot of jumping in some sections you can only do with the teleportation interface and what not, I wasn't aware of it all when I wrote that and it's quite jarring for me) for some who have played other VR games and they're ingrained in the very basics like character/hand control. Sure it's pretty much the only scripted linear action FPS adventure with high production values but people have seen some things done better before and it would have been great if Alyx did that too, on top of what it already does. I maintain it's another great in a long line of great VR games rather than the second coming of jesus, the first killer app, etc., some wanna claim which is cool for Alyx but is unfair to many other equally worthwhile VR experiences.

I seem to be the outlier with this but I have to say I think this criticism applies only if you feel movement in VR shouldn’t involve teleporting. I don’t as I don’t utilize my actual my actual space too much when I play without a version of teleport - I’m not a huge fan of using console like controls for movement in VR since it takes me out of the experience/creates a disconnect. Boneworks’s controls took me totally out of the game for example and after a while I was just playing it like a normal video game with some unique physics aspect - just didn’t feel like I was really there at all. I’ve played essentially all other VR games but Asgard’s Wrath, walking dead also wasn’t my jam - some games have had like one moment where you legit feel like you’re there. This somehow managed to keep the effect going for the entirety of the game

Alexios

I don't only speak of teleporting but in regards to that, since it has a free locomotion option it should be fully playable and not even have the teleport interface available if turned on, instead the game levels/content/lack of character actions like jumping can't deal with it and force it to be used even though Alyx isn't equipped with any kind of portal device. Some times it's so jarring because it pops up in actions that you have performed manually before in other parts but somehow can't seem to in this instance etc., like climbing over a given window where vaulting over didn't function and a small space you had to fit under but couldn't if you just ducked and other such segments. Obviously if someone plays the game with teleportation that doesn't affect them in the least, that's an obvious no brainer, but the other things I said before apply. I like teleporting when it has a context and gameplay mechanics like in Budget Cuts or In Death. I don't see how teleporting is more immersing, all control methods are in disconnect from the setting/game/character abilities as nobody has enough room scale to cover whole game worlds requiring this abstraction but to each their own.

Last edited:
I don't only speak of teleporting there. But in regards to that, since it has a free locomotion option then it should be fully playable with that and not even have the teleport interface available if turned on, instead the game levels/content/lack of character actions like jumping can't deal with it and force it to be used even though Alyx isn't equipped with any kind of portal device. Some times it's so jarring because it pops up in actions that you have performed manually before in other instances but somehow can't seem to in this instance etc, like combing over a given window where vaulting over didn't function and a small space you had to fit under but couldn't if you just ducked and other such segments. Obviously if someone plays the game with teleportation that doesn't affect them in the least, but the other things I said before do. I like teleporting when it has a context like in Budget Cuts or In Death.
Oh you see I don’t care about teleporting needing justification for me since it feels natural. I just find it much more immersive ultimately. Other things like inventory management/weapons never took me out either since there wasn’t a ridiculous amount of things to keep track of. But you know to each their own play style

rofif

Banned
I think there's a 99.99% chance that every person on the internet who has complained about "floating hands" has never played a real VR game before.
Exactly. These would not be right if You were to cross Your hand or what to do with them if You take off You controllers.
These are the same people who complain about teleport/blink and snap turning

Top Bottom