• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx |OT| Three's Company

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Exactly. These would not be right if You were to cross Your hand or what to do with them if You take off You controllers.
These are the same people who complain about teleport/blink and snap turning
It's not all the same people, my issues with teleportation and smooth turning have nothing to do with ignorance or taking these options away from people who need them because they get sick or whatever else. So yes it's good Valve added smooth turning even if you personally can't use it after all. And it would be great if they made the whole game playable with smooth locomotion through the whole thing by adding a jump ability and slightly editing levels for vaulting over/ducking under to be viable in all cases it requires teleportation now even if other people only use teleportation. The jumping in particular seems so simple to solve and avoid its potential abuse in a Zelda-like manner so it only works in places that you need it to work by just moving forward or whatever. Valve offers free locomotion but hasn't adapted the whole game to be viable, it's a shortcoming, not a feature.

Red Matter implemented many methods fully without requiring you to use a method you don't want leaving what you want and what they present as a viable option only applicable for a smaller than 100% of it. Budget Cuts is one game I don't mind teleportation in because its gameplay is built around that and it doesn't pretend otherwise (though the seque added a sort of cheat for that I won't even try it as it just doesn't suit the gameplay imo). In Death is another (though I do use the newer free locomotion in that as it feels natural to mix it in with the teleportation). Likewise I have no problem with The Room VR not having free locomotion because it simply was out of the scope of the game even though it doesn't justify teleportation in-lore, the gameplay is the puzzles anyway, it doesn't matter how you go from one small room/area of interest to the next. I'd negatively judge someone unwilling to give great games a shot because of their teleportation like anyone else should/would, that's very different to criticizing Valve's efforts wherever they may have faltered in their implementations despite the high budget/lack of profit expectations. It's not like their promos have an asterisk saying "this game was made for teleportation first and foremost, to abide with people's expectations of VR gameplay we have taken great measures to offer a smooth free locomotion option but there will be many parts of the game that require teleportation/blink/dash" or anything.

It's even kind of clashing how it pops up the teleportation countdown HUD stuff when I'm just walking toward stuff I intend to climb manually, whether that's ladders or stuff I will vault over. Ideally teleportation would just be disabled altogether and only activate with the right stick just like the "jumping". I'd hope any sequel, DLC and even the better mods/maps/campaigns that show up thanks to the SDK/level editor will pay more attention to how they design the environments to make free locomotion viable through their whole. I'll play the good ones even if not but ideally they will.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Reporting in for duty!

I've playing it for 75mins (yes it tells you in Steam), and have been taking my time exploring, tweaking controls (turn speeds, 30 degrees seems ok for me) and getting used to the gloves.
I tried to bring the gloves up to my face to check out the details, but in my Oculus Rift S anything up close looks out of focus but the background remains in focus.

Generally the games playing smoothly and looks great (Ultra). Was a bit of trip when loading between chapters 1 and 2, and started facing the wrong way!

i7 3930k @4.6Ghz
RTX2060 6GB
32GB RAM
SSD

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Reporting in for duty!

I've playing it for 75mins (yes it tells you in Steam), and have been taking my time exploring, tweaking controls (turn speeds, 30 degrees seems ok for me) and getting used to the gloves.
I tried to bring the gloves up to my face to check out the details, but in my Oculus Rift S anything up close looks out of focus but the background remains in focus.

Generally the games playing smoothly and looks great (Ultra). Was a bit of trip when loading between chapters 1 and 2, and started facing the wrong way!

i7 3930k @4.6Ghz
RTX2060 6GB
32GB RAM
SSD
What is Your ipd?
Thinking of getting the S (it's unavailable at the moment:( ) and I wonder how would all backpack actions work and 80hz?
I did finished the game on cv1 but only front facing with 2 cameras and borrowed from a friend. Still - a great kindness of him to lend me cv1... since I was stupid enough to sell S year ago

INC

Reporting in for duty!

i7 3930k @4.6Ghz
RTX2060 6GB
32GB RAM
SSD

Tried DLSS on Nvidia? Might help so it's SS upclose stuff, I've noticed the same on rift s.

And i run ultra 200% SS and it's still blurry upclose

INC

What is Your ipd?
Thinking of getting the S (it's unavailable at the moment:( ) and I wonder how would all backpack actions work and 80hz?
I did finished the game on cv1 but only front facing with 2 cameras and borrowed from a friend. Still - a great kindness of him to lend me cv1... since I was stupid enough to sell S year ago

No issue with backpack on any game with rift s, 80hz is fine

rofif

Banned
No issue with backpack on any game with rift s, 80hz is fine
Yeah... I need my own headset now since I've bought Alyx to play on borrowed cv1...
As far as I remember year ago, Rift S had absolutely nice, clear screen, no god rays and amazing, easy setup with passthrough cameras which are great to put away the controller or pick up the phone.
Sure I would like Index but it's way too expensive and people say the glare is a lot and I dislike glare.
I've Sold S very quickly because it burned my usb3 ports on my old 2500k p67 pc back then... so I sold it and bought 3700x/x570 few months later. Now I finally have motherboard with 3.1 usb ports ready for S :p
btw - have oculus fixed passthrough freezing issue and 5minutes time limit on passthrough?

Last edited:

INC

The rift s still gets god rays, butninonly notice on start up logo whist black background and White txt, so rarely.

Screen is clear and crisp, I still the pixels slightly, but it's not detracting

For the price it's the best headset for the money.

I honestly can't see how the index is worth an extra £600, I'll wait for the next gen of headsets with eye tracking and shit, for now the rift s does everything I want until the next big headset

Pass through works perfect on my set up, don't know about time limit, I use for limited mostly

Last edited:

INC

Doesn't the index have eye tracking that increases the pixel density where you're looking or am I thinking of something else?

If it has, I've never seen the option, rumour has it the psvr2 will have it tho

EDIT: sorry u said eye tracking on index, my bad

Last edited:
If it has, I've never seen the option, rumour has it the psvr2 will have it tho

EDIT: sorry u said eye tracking on index, my bad

I accidentally said the rift first instead of index and edited it, sorry.

I think I get your point; "Index has eye tracking but I'll wait for newer cheapter, NOT Index VR headsets".

Last edited:

Type_Raver

What is Your ipd?

My IPD is 70.5, you think that has something to do with focusing up close?
80Hz is perfectly fine, smooth enough for me. Ive only used a DK2 before (years ago) which was ok for me, and that was 72Hz i think?

Tried DLSS on Nvidia? Might help so it's SS upclose stuff, I've noticed the same on rift s.

And i run ultra 200% SS and it's still blurry upclose

You can force DLSS? I dont understand how that would improve out of focus areas?

INC

Because the out of focus part is right upclose to your face, so it would sharpen that, since it's right in front of your face.

Could just be the engine tbh, it's a shame, but you're not normally putting stuff right up in front your face much

Unless im.wrong about how it works.

Alexios

Could be ipd related, I can get blurred or double vision if I adjust the IPD on my original Rift to mismatch my own and you're at the top end of what the S supports as it recommends that its ideal use scenario is for people with way smaller IPD with 70 being the absolute max. Cool that it works.

And no, only Vive Pro Eye from almost-but-not-consumer-level products has eye tracking and eye tracking is just the hardware, what the software then uses it for varies, foveated rendering that you want is one use but nothing like that is supported heavily by most engines because eye tracking devices are a minority. Though one can imagine how NVidia's VRS technology can be used in combination with that for example and when eye tracking becomes more standard if its cost can be reduced enough actual game engines are bound to add their own support regardless of GPU brand.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Reporting in for duty!

i7 3930k @4.6Ghz
RTX2060 6GB
32GB RAM
SSD
This is a known issue with VR, it's called vergence-accommodation conflict. The focal plane of the display is far away, but when something gets close to you in VR your eyes converge on it as if it's close but have to focus as if it's far and your brain doesn't want to let your eyes do that.

Oculus had demoed a couple prototype varifocal displays that silver this, but it's still kind of future tech right now.

Just saw the ending and post credits video. Fucking goosebumps. What a great way to connect it to Episode 2. If this doesnt say Half - Life 3 is confirmed then I dont know what else it could be. Such a badass moment.

Alexios

This is a known issue with VR, it's called vergence-accommodation conflict. The focal plane of the display is far away, but when something gets close to you in VR your eyes converge on it as if it's close but have to focus as if it's far and your brain doesn't want to let your eyes do that.

Oculus had demoed a couple prototype varifocal displays that silver this, but it's still kind of future tech right now.
Forgot about that. There's this test to try in that case (from google, could be out of the guy's ass but he seemed to know his shit).

"If you close one eye, accommodation-vergence coupling will no longer work, and your remaining eye will use blurriness cues to adjust focus, and do so correctly.

If you keep the VR headset on for an extended period, your eyes will wise up and (temporarily) forget how focusing works, leading to accommodation-vergence decoupling. At that point, all objects should appear in focus again, but it might take longer to adjust to objects at different distances"

I've personally never really had a huge issue with the fixed 3 meter focal plane, but I've been playing for 3 years so maybe I'm just used to it? I wouldn't say things are completely focused when I hold things up close, but they aren't blurry either. Like I can easily read small labels and newspapers and whatnot.

I decided to take a break from Alyx today....because it's sooo good. I want to space it out and let it really sink in. 7 hours in, definite single player campaign of the gen already, and possibly favorite in general. I love VR, I love Half Life. It's like this game was created specifically for me!

Adam_802

Just beat the game, holy shit I need to get my thoughts down lol. OK so here's what I think happened:

Sometime between the ending of HL1 and HLA the Combine manage to capture/contain the Gman using the harvested powers of the Vorts. At the end of HLA, 19yo Alyx unwittingly releases the Gman from the vault. The Gman then takes her to the future to Save Eli(similar to how Eli apparently made a deal with Gman to save Alyx as a baby from Black Mesa during HL1) and "hires" her in that same moment. Gman then wipes Alyx's memory and places her back in her own original time. Eli probably knows something must have happened involving the Gman, but never says anything to Alyx because hes worried and wants to protect her. Then the events of HL2/ep1/ep2 go on to play out (with Alyx never being aware that she was under Gman's watch/influence the entire time), but now Eli lives at the end of Ep2 because of Gman/Alyx's actions. From Eli/Gordon's perspective, they're both restrained by the Advisors and all of a sudden theres a flash and a bolt of lightning or something fries the Advisor out of nowhere and 25yo Alyx is just gone, disappeared. Eli knows Gman must have taken her(being the "unforeseen consequences"), and gives Gordon the crowbar to continue in HL3, with all the same original stakes still present like the Borealis and saving Mossman, but now with the added stake of finding/saving Alyx.

There are obviously several big questions remaining, such as who was the shadow-woman talking to the Advisor? Why does she mention Gman was a "survivor of Black Mesa"? And how/when did Gman get captured by the Combine? And did Gman still have Gordon in stasis while he was imprisoned?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
My IPD is 70.5, you think that has something to do with focusing up close?
80Hz is perfectly fine, smooth enough for me. Ive only used a DK2 before (years ago) which was ok for me, and that was 72Hz i think?

You can force DLSS? I dont understand how that would improve out of focus areas?
For sure. S is is locked at about 64. You can set ips on software but it will help only a bit

Romulus

Considering Alyx wasn't overdone to death with story, they somehow made me a lot more invested in her than I thought was possible, and the overall story arch in general. I'm sort of pissed I didn't take my time more with the campaign and searching around for things.

Already on my second playthrough, the game's depth is shining through more. I'm seeing lots of opportunities in combat like I did with my 2nd and 3rd attempted with HL2.

Man the body horror on display in this game is insane. Not to mention all the weird Combine machines and devices. Valve has the best artists in the business.

Last edited:

DanEON

oww, what a game. I am with 7hs and just started Chapter 4. Going very slowly and checking everything.

man, that train crash was so epic. And then you walk into it and see all those dead Advisors. Damm, so epic!!!

Wonko_C

I'm thinking about doing a GIF thread where we can share some of the cool/funny/creative interactions you can do in the game, but I never saved the GIFs I saw online so I'll have to start looking again.

rofif

Banned
I've noticed that I am having more fun, relaxed time playing with seated mode after finishing the game standing.
In seated mode, Your seating height is perfect for crouching behind cover or reaching lower objects. You press left stick to toggle standing up position. Playing on a ikea markus chair with armrests removed is fantastic(I already had them removed since I don't use armrests).

What I am saying is - I have a theory and a fear that vr shooters are leaning too much towards making players crouch behind cover or crouch to pass obstacles because it is "realistic". No it is not exactly realistic. In reality, if I crouch behind a table, I hold it, lean on it and push against it. In vr, all Your stability and strength is on legs alone since You have nothing to lean against and it's not a very comfortable or convenient. It is very cool to duck and shoot from behind the cover but I just hope future devs will not rely on this too much or will have proper seated mode like half-life. I mean it is a bit bare bones without metric height adjustments etc but it's fine.

edit: The other effect Alyx has on me - I cannot play any other vr game anymore... it's all trash. h3vr is fun to toy with guns for 30 minutes but it looks like trash and is clunky. Boneworks is clunky and also looks bad. Google earth is fun... And Robo Recall is amazing but how many times can I finish robo recall lol

Last edited:

Alexios

I've noticed that I am having more fun, relaxed time playing with seated mode after finishing the game standing.
In seated mode, Your seating height is perfect for crouching behind cover or reaching lower objects. You press left stick to toggle standing up position. Playing on a ikea markus chair with armrests removed is fantastic(I already had them removed since I don't use armrests).

What I am saying is - I have a theory and a fear that vr shooters are leaning too much towards making players crouch behind cover or crouch to pass obstacles because it is "realistic". No it is not exactly realistic. In reality, if I crouch behind a table, I hold it, lean on it and push against it. In vr, all Your stability and strength is on legs alone since You have nothing to lean against and it's not a very comfortable or convenient. It is very cool to duck and shoot from behind the cover but I just hope future devs will not rely on this too much or will have proper seated mode like half-life. I mean it is a bit bare bones without metric height adjustments etc but it's fine.

edit: The other effect Alyx has on me - I cannot play any other vr game anymore... it's all trash. h3vr is fun to toy with guns for 30 minutes but it looks like trash and is clunky. Boneworks is clunky and also looks bad. Google earth is fun... And Robo Recall is amazing but how many times can I finish robo recall lol
So get some more good VR games? The Room VR and Down the Rabbit Hole just released and are pretty good, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is the second best meaty FPS adventure after Alyx with some Boneworks-like jank but not too much of it and an actually very well designed game underneath, Stormland is the third best as a pure shooter, Lone Echo the second best purely as an adventure if we don't count its lack of action segments as a negative (which we shouldn't), Moss is a charming action adventure, Journey of the Gods a very fun Zelda-lite whose only fault is it ends too soon (but it's not a full price title), Apex Construct is old and has mixed reviews but I played it recently and really enjoyed it, it has very Half-Life-like pacing and set up with action vs puzzles but has a more segmented into missions world design that detracts from it a bit, etc., there's tons of great stuff. Also awesome fun yet activity based arcadey games like Pistol Whip or Racket Fury of course. You've barely scratched the surface with those games and then there are cockpit and not VR-only games that work great, from Elite Dangerous and Skyrim to No Man's Sky and DiRT Rally.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
So get some more good VR games? The Room VR and Down the Rabbit Hole just released and arepretty good, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is the second best FPS adventure after Alyx with some Boneworks-like jank but not too much of it and an actually well designed game underneath, Stormland is the third best as a pure shooter, Lone Echo the second best purely as an adventure if we don't count its lack of action segments as a negative (which we shouldn't), Moss is a charming action adventure, Journey of the Gods a very fun Zelda-lite, etc., there's tons of great stuff. Also awesome fun yet activity based arcadey games like Pistol Whip of course. You've barely scratched the surface with those games.
thanks for recommendations!

Alexios

Added a few more, was editing. Also most such longform games do have seated modes, standing focus is mostly for stuff that are arcadey and the whole point is to be active in short bursts or perhaps online PVP based so it's unfair if some have to get physical and others casually press buttons.

I like playing everything standing myself without using buttons for courching and other such stuff (except for games that are in vehicles or similar obviously, or even third person adventures like Moss), but whatever works for everyone, options are good, so long as they're well implemented.

There's also Drop Dead: Dual Strike if you want a simple House of the Dead-like but it's not nearly as tight as SEGA's efforts, still I think it's pretty decent fun and the best of the genre in VR over other games that try that set up like Crisis VRigade or dodgy wave shooters and what not.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So get some more good VR games? The Room VR and Down the Rabbit Hole just released and are pretty good, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is the second best meaty FPS adventure after Alyx with some Boneworks-like jank but not too much of it and an actually very well designed game underneath, Stormland is the third best as a pure shooter, Lone Echo the second best purely as an adventure if we don't count its lack of action segments as a negative (which we shouldn't), Moss is a charming action adventure, Journey of the Gods a very fun Zelda-lite whose only fault is it ends too soon (but it's not a full price title), Apex Construct is old and has mixed reviews but I played it recently and really enjoyed it, it has very Half-Life-like pacing and set up with action vs puzzles but has a more segmented into missions world design that detracts from it a bit, etc., there's tons of great stuff. Also awesome fun yet activity based arcadey games like Pistol Whip or Racket Fury of course. You've barely scratched the surface with those games and then there are cockpit and not VR-only games that work great, from Elite Dangerous and Skyrim to No Man's Sky and DiRT Rally.
Nice set of recommendations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Good to know. Outside of a few puzzles, I've barely even moved around physically. All of the leaning and looking up and down seems like it could easily be done in a chair.

Arkage

Banned
Currently 5 hours in and on chapter 5. Using my laptop, 2080 Max Q & i7-8750H, on high settings everythings been butter smooth. Using my super cheap Samsung Odyssey + and no issues with that either, backpack working fine and gun loading good.

So far it's very impressive. Environments are all really nice looking. The 3d puzzles to unlock devices are fun and interesting. Using the flashlight while running around and shooting stuff is very intense. I've been using snap turn and thumbstick walking in a seated position 99% of the time. Most of the time I have no nausea issues, though if I do a lot of snap turns trying to play "quickly" then it can take effect, as well as when I walk off an edge to drop down, and the falling down feeling can cause it.

Biggest complaint so far: if the entire upgrade system is based around picking up the same tiny discs for 13+ hours.... that's pretty boring. I've already picked up like 50-60 of them just to do three upgrades, and each gun seems to have 4 upgrades total. Are there really like 150-200 of these tiny things to pick up just randomly searching corners of every room? I'd have preferred they be more puzzle based, and you get +5 or +10 for solving the puzzle. Still keep a few scattered around to hunt for. But the way it is, is going to get pretty old by the end of the game.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Man Quake still looks like shit to me. DOOM has this cool sci-fi look to it which still holds up to this day IMO, the new games are stylized off it still, but Quake I looks like dogshit. Always has and always will. I never got into that game

Wonko_C

That's exactlly how I felt about Apex Construct even before Alyx came out. As a PSVR-only owner, that game is my poor man's Half-Life Alyx. I love playing with the admittedly janky and minimal physics and wacky tracking of the Move controllers (not to mention no analog stick $&%(#&!) . You also store and retrieve items in your hands in a similar way, and the bow and arrow fights never get old.

Here I am having fun with the "physics" in Apex Construct. If I squint enough I can pretend I'm playing Alyx. :p

moniker

I'm already itching for another playthrough and I can't remember the last time I felt like that. Usually I'm satisfied when a game ends, even if I really like it.

I had some weird CPU frametime spikes, especially in the second half of the game, so I'm going to hold off and wait for a few more patches before diving back in. I also want some future headset that has better black levels / contrast ratio than the Index, because those darker areas really suffer ...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’ve restarted the game 4 times now after before being a couple of hours in. Not because of any issues but because it’s so amazing. It’s so incredible.

rofif

Banned
I'm already itching for another playthrough and I can't remember the last time I felt like that. Usually I'm satisfied when a game ends, even if I really like it.

I had some weird CPU frametime spikes, especially in the second half of the game, so I'm going to hold off and wait for a few more patches before diving back in. I also want some future headset that has better black levels / contrast ratio than the Index, because those darker areas really suffer ...
Exactly the same here.. I launched few levels to dick around but NO. I am returning borrowed cv1 to a friend and will only replay (and then 10x more) once I get my own rift S... whenever it will be since its out of stock perpetually

Alexios

Dang, Alyx approval percentage actually increased with the increased number of reviews, 98% out of 11348 (14489 posititive and 243 negative if you go to the bottom, I dunno what the disparity suggests, what reviews don't count etc., that's still over 98% though) now :d

Last edited:
Playing through this now on my Alienware 13 with a GeForce 1060. Definitely NOT up to the task without tweaking. I highly recommend using the resolution scaling built into Steam VR to get rid of the hitching. Went down to 75% to test and it plays a lot better. I’ll zero in what the best level is to get it a little sharper but still performant.

rofif

Banned
So much going on in this, I never noticed this

wow. That's what I love about these detailed single player games we don't get anymore. I used to be replaying Max Payne2, hl2, Riddick and Mafia so many times and there was always something new to notice

Top Bottom