• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx |OT| Three's Company

Thaedolus

After being sick and not able to play, then bouncing off for a bit and not really having the urge to play, I finally got going for a couple hours again today...I keep forgetting how fucking cool VR is when done right. This game is just great. Got the upgrade to load two magazines into the pistol and now I feel super badass unloading on fools.

It still defaults to lower settings than my PC can handle for some reason, I don't really drop frames much on Ultra and not at all on High @ 90hz. It really looks great with the details turned up. I love the little particles floating in the air in stereoscopic 3D....my depth perception isn't great so 3D movies and stuff don't really do that much for me, but in VR it's amazing.

Last edited:

INC

After being sick and not able to play, then bouncing off for a bit and not really having the urge to play, I finally got going for a couple hours again today...I keep forgetting how fucking cool VR is when done right. This game is just great. Got the upgrade to load two magazines into the pistol and now I feel super badass unloading on fools.

It still defaults to lower settings than my PC can handle for some reason, I don't really drop frames much on Ultra and not at all on High @ 90hz. It really looks great with the details turned up. I love the little particles floating in the air in stereoscopic 3D....my depth perception isn't great so 3D movies and stuff don't really do that much for me, but in VR it's amazing.

I'm the same, I think most of it is down to frame rate, thete5s only been 1 film that even remotely worked for me, and that was the hobbit in 3d and 45fps

24fps and 3d, is just a mess and gives me a headache on films

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Still waiting on a rift s to come in stock, but at this point I would have more joy taping two iPhones to my face and watching the trailer again :(

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That was posted in this thread over three weeks ago. GAF has a very nice search feature, you know...

To check if a video has already been posted, search for the video ID, which is KfFAgD7uIvk in this case.

If you're on a phone... well, my condolences.
k

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My father (55) just finished Half-Life: Alyx after 2 weeks of coming over every evening.
Last time he was so impressed with a video game was probably Unreal(that waterfall) and first Half-Life(wow their mouths move).
After 90s he usually kept watching me play video games. After I moved out few years ago, I was sending him YT links with games to watch like Last of Us, Death Stranding, Shadow of the Colossus and so on). He loves that stuff.
But this was on another level. All the way through he was very immersed and although he was lost and I had to do some annoying backseating to help him out, he had a great time.
btw - I had vr since 2013 with dk1 so it's not his first vr experience.
Statements like "I am there, this is the future" were quite common in the last 2 weeks. The ending blew his mind too (He knows half-life characters and it's all almost familiar to him)
He played on Rift S and touch controllers were a bit of an issue but everything was possible to be configured comfortable. His left hand had all fingers reattached after saw accident over 10 years ago, so his missing the middle part of every finger in that hand but the fingers move. And in right hand he sawed off half of his thumb. Yes, he is a carpenter :p

It was interesting seeing him realize that all of the game obstacles can be tackled physically. He loved Jeff level too. Lol it was funny seeing him lay down on the floor and being impressed that he is on the floor in the game too

Last edited:

Romulus

My father (55) just finished Half-Life: Alyx after 2 weeks of coming over every evening.
Last time he was so impressed with a video game was probably Unreal(that waterfall) and first Half-Life(wow their mouths move).
After 90s he usually kept watching me play video games. After I moved out few years ago, I was sending him YT links with games to watch like Last of Us, Death Stranding, Shadow of the Colossus and so on). He loves that stuff.
But this was on another level. All the way through he was very immersed and although he was lost and I had to do some annoying backseating to help him out, he had a great time.
btw - I had vr since 2013 with dk1 so it's not his first vr experience.
Statements like "I am there, this is the future" were quite common in the last 2 weeks. The ending blew his mind too (He knows half-life characters and it's all almost familiar to him)
He played on Rift S and touch controllers were a bit of an issue but everything was possible to be configured comfortable. His left hand had all fingers reattached after saw accident over 10 years ago, so his missing the middle part of every finger in that hand but the fingers move. And in right hand he sawed off half of his thumb. Yes, he is a carpenter :p

It was interesting seeing him realize that all of the game obstacles can be tackled physically. He loved Jeff level too. Lol it was funny seeing him lay down on the floor and being impressed that he is on the floor in the game too

Yep, its definitely a once in a generation experience. Every gamer should play it.

Borrowed an original Vive, built a tower of Amazon boxes for one of the base stations because my mate forgot the supports, plugged it in my outdated PC...

SZpwgHY.gif

Those multi-tool puzzles can fuck off though.

Wonko_C

Borrowed an original Vive, built a tower of Amazon boxes for one of the base stations because my mate forgot the supports, plugged it in my outdated PC...

SZpwgHY.gif

Those multi-tool puzzles can fuck off though.
I have only watched the game on youtube, but yeah the puzzles... what happened? I never liked the previous games but if they had anything going for them it was the physics-based puzzles.

You could come up with your own solutions, I mean that's exactly what VR was made for! And how many of those puzzles we have in the entire game? Two maybe? while the rest are just the same type of minigames that get harder as you progress. Come oooon, Valve.

INC

any chance to see it on PS5 VR?

Hoesntly dont see why it couldnt work on psvr now, the movement would work fine, and source 2 can run on most rigs, even on the lowest setting it looks better than most vr games out now

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hoesntly dont see why it couldnt work on psvr now, the movement would work fine, and source 2 can run on most rigs, even on the lowest setting it looks better than most vr games out now
The game is more demanding than it seems.
And psvr is not precise enough + the game works best with room scale

INC

The game is more demanding than it seems.
And psvr is not precise enough + the game works best with room scale

Not required tho, you can play sitting down

I agree some parts could be awful, like some of the 3d puzzles, other than that it's pretty standard VR mechanics, that move controllers could easily do (granted to a lower quality)

Resenge

I agree some parts could be awful, like some of the 3d puzzles, other than that it's pretty standard VR mechanics, that move controllers could easily do (granted to a lower quality)
I agree, I played the whole game sitting down without any problems at all. Room scale is great and I use it sometimes but I cba to stand all the time.

Romulus

I think a lot lower. I think if they had the PS4 Pro as a solo target it would a possibility, but the standard PS4 is incredibly weak to run anything modern.

Thaedolus

Between cracking ribs a few weeks ago and having other games I dropped off this again, now that TLOU2 is done I’m back at it. It’s kinda interesting to me how much more stressed out I get playing this game to where I feel like I can only go in shorter spurts. Even though the game has a much lighter tone and feels more cartoony, the immersion is so good I seriously get stress shits playing it. In chapter 7 now and had to stop like 15 minutes in to go shit. This is the only game that makes me literally have to shit because I get so into it.

Anyway GAF if you find yourself constipated try HL: Alyx

I don't know if I actually like this game. Ten hours later I'm in chapter 6. As a walking simulator with physics it's awesome. The Combine fights are fun as hell.
But I've seen more headcrabs and barnacles than in HL 1, 2 and all the expansions combined! Also, the new headcrabs suck.

It all feels like a mix of Route Kanal and Episode 1. Bullshit hand-holding and bullshit puzzles all over the place.
What the fuck were they thinking with those holograms? AND WHY ARE THEY PLAYING MUSIC?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yeah I've finished it on borrowed oculus cv1 and it was the best experience ever.
Now I've got my own quest and need to finish it wirelessly and it works very good.... although the replayability is quite low.
Maybe because I've had rift S and I've watched my father finish the whole thing. And then I've returned S because it broke :p

Grinchy

Banned
Between cracking ribs a few weeks ago and having other games I dropped off this again, now that TLOU2 is done I’m back at it. It’s kinda interesting to me how much more stressed out I get playing this game to where I feel like I can only go in shorter spurts. Even though the game has a much lighter tone and feels more cartoony, the immersion is so good I seriously get stress shits playing it. In chapter 7 now and had to stop like 15 minutes in to go shit. This is the only game that makes me literally have to shit because I get so into it.

Anyway GAF if you find yourself constipated try HL: Alyx

That's how RE7 on PSVR was for me. It was really fun but really stressful at the same time. The game was fucking frightening in VR.

Thaedolus

I did actually finish this finally, ending was hype, but now checking out the mod scene is like....holy shit. Reminds me of the Half-Life 1 days with how creative people are getting with this stuff

Top Bottom