• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 - The Midnight Launch

Sybrix

I'm posting this because it's such a great video, gaming during the 360 days was just so epic and let's be honest, it hasn't been topped.

This footage has captured a moment in time that will never be experienced again, the game, going to the store to buy it physically at a midnight launch, a buddy 4 player local co-op.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

SkylineRKR

I kind of took it for granted. I had a 360 at the time, and wasn't completely in love with it. I kind of missed my PS2 during its maiden year.

But looking back, the E3's, the world premieres, the hype for demos.. Reading mags and browsing GameTrailers.. it was indeed pretty great. And games back then were more diverse, and I don't mean -that- one. There was like Halo, Gears, Dead Rising, PGR, Ninja Gaiden.. And they were all good still.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Good times when we stood for hours for a thing that we wanted. We organize to play with our friends. We talked with strangers that has the same sentiment for it, and make new friends... It was the most love letter ever

Now you just... download it, and a lot of those games you can't even get a physical copy... and even if is a physical copy, you need to download some patch to run... We have great gakes, but holy shit the burocracy

And games back then were more diverse...there was like Halo, Gears, Dead Rising, PGR, Ninja Gaiden.
The games still are. Here's the key difference in what changed with gamers:
Reading mags and browsing GameTrailers.
Really look into this part. Gaming magazines and gametrailers covered everything. Everything. Back then, people were doing their own research by utilizing sources like these and finding those various titles to enjoy. Things changed and those same gamers settled into letting algorithms and advertisements feed them the info. So instead of going to find those gems themselves like they used to, this dynamic changed for the worse.

Now instead of actively looking for fresh new experiences, most people just wait until ____ company announces a long-awaited sequel or remake to something those people knew about when they were younger, or they wait for word of mouth to spread about a great game from a dev they never knew about, but would have known about during the magazine/gametrailers days.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bungie made sure Halo 3’s launch was special, certainly other games had “midnight launches” but I can confirm.

mTdsjli.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought the launch of Halo 2 was better. Halo 3 was huge, yes. I worked at GameStop during the midnight launch. I think I was excited for H3’s campaign and GTAIV. There was more to play at the time than with Halo 2. Halo 2 was great BC on 360. I waited in line for hours for H2. H3 I just grabbed my copy when the store shutdown.

Looking back on it now. I went to a H2 tournament inside a church, there was a forum for Halo in my state, and MLG Halo was popular to talk about. I don’t remember much of H3 besides the marketing was massive and because it felt like it went downhill after 3’s campaign and Reach. I played H4/5/Infinite. None of which really got on the same level as Halo 2/3. I lost interest in Halo multiplayer when H3 came out because I didn’t have internet where I lived besides dial up. I could play the campaign and that was it.

Can't really make AAA games like this anymore with all the DEI and marketing suits in control of everything. Maybe we should lean into the AA space and take that shit over.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I went and did one of those medical lab places you stay in for a few days while they test new prescription drugs on you and draw your blood periodically.

Earned the dough to buy a Xbox 360 and Halo 3.

That’s how good that marketing was then.

SHA

In the middle of the night
Just call my name
I'm yours to tame
I'm wide awake
I crave your taste all night long
'Til morning comes
I'm getting what is mine
You gon' get yours, oh no, ooh
In the middle of the night, oh

Papa_Wisdom

confused stan marsh GIF by South Park

Power Pro

This was me more for Halo 2, and the launch of the Xbox 360. i remember the long line for Halo 2, and how excited the first person who checked out was. The Xbox 360 itself was also a big deal because my brother and I spent the entire night outside a best buy with a crowd of very cold people all night. The hype kept up warm for a while, lol. Halo 3 was sort of a big deal, but I just don't remember it as vividly as those other launches.

I worked at GameStop during Halo 2's midnight launch and it was awesome and so exciting.

I was in the military during Halo 3's and it wasn't even comparable, Halo 3 was everywhere and it was such a zeitgeist of excitement. Sitting in line and talking with everyone and discussing the books and games and stories was so endearing.

I'll say I love the digital age we love in as it is way more convenient for me, but damn if the excitement of new launches isn't hampered compared to what it was in those days.

I thought the launch of Halo 2 was better. Halo 3 was huge, yes. I worked at GameStop during the midnight launch. I think I was excited for H3’s campaign and GTAIV. There was more to play at the time than with Halo 2. Halo 2 was great BC on 360. I waited in line for hours for H2. H3 I just grabbed my copy when the store shutdown.

Looking back on it now. I went to a H2 tournament inside a church, there was a forum for Halo in my state, and MLG Halo was popular to talk about. I don’t remember much of H3 besides the marketing was massive and because it felt like it went downhill after 3’s campaign and Reach. I played H4/5/Infinite. None of which really got on the same level as Halo 2/3. I lost interest in Halo multiplayer when H3 came out because I didn’t have internet where I lived besides dial up. I could play the campaign and that was it.
the halo 3 campaign is awesome.

Top Bottom