• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Franchise has generated Over $10 Billion in Revenue for Microsoft

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
halo-infinite-.jpeg

The Halo franchise, originally developed by Bungie and currently managed and developed by 343 Industries under Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios, has generated a staggering $10 billion in revenue by 2019, according to Lillian Lehmann, Senior Business Manager at Microsoft. Lehmann’s LinkedIn profile highlights her role in leading the global business operations of the franchise through multiple releases and productions.

The Halo franchise first launched in 2001 with the release of the first-person shooter game, Halo: Combat Evolved, and its tie-in novel, The Fall of Reach. The latest main game in the series, Halo Infinite, was released in 2021.

Halo: Combat Evolved was both a critical and commercial success, serving as the Xbox’s “killer app” and solidifying Microsoft’s position as a major player in the video game console market. The franchise’s sequels continued their commercial and critical success, selling over 81 million copies worldwide. With more than $6 billion in franchise grosses, Halo ranks as one of the highest-grossing media franchises of all time, encompassing novels, graphic novels, comic books, short films, animated films, feature films, and other licensed products.

Arsic

Gold Member
Makes me even more perplexed how they let infinite shit the bed so bed.

Add maps every season. Minimum 3-5. Get to a point where you have to cycle them for ranked.

Get the cosmetics to be figured out. Even paid stuff is trash. Very few things in the game look bad ass.

Seasonal challenges that are easy as you play, and rewarding for performance. “Obtain X rank”, “get first place X times” “get a killionaire “ etc.

Bring back before and after open mics to allow for banter. To this day I can play any match of CSGO and it’s 99% people with mics discussing how to win and call outs.

Reward great forge creations.

Gameplay is great so there’s nothing here I’d change.

feynoob

Banned

Add maps every season. Minimum 3-5. Get to a point where you have to cycle them for ranked.

Get the cosmetics to be figured out. Even paid stuff is trash. Very few things in the game look bad ass.

Seasonal challenges that are easy as you play, and rewarding for performance. “Obtain X rank”, “get first place X times” “get a killionaire “ etc.

Bring back before and after open mics to allow for banter. To this day I can play any match of CSGO and it’s 99% people with mics discussing how to win and call outs.

Issue was making the MP F2P.

By making it f2p, they fucked it up badly.
F2p needs a lot of content.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'd be curious to see the breakdown of how that has shaken out over time. How much it makes today versus what it did at the peak of its popularity.

Three

"Halo is dead " "halo is failure"
Yet, it manages to make this much money.

I wonder how much money will a good halo make.
This is overall franchise revenue isn't it? Meaning since its inception since 2001 it has made $10B. So the good Halos probably contributed greatly to that and the not so great ones maybe not so much.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
This is overall franchise revenue isn't it? Meaning since its inception since 2001 it has made $10B. So the good Halos probably contributed greatly to that and the not so great ones maybe not so much.
The not so great halo 5 sold around 9m copies.

Halo fans will buy halo, no matter how bad it is.

People might say it's shit, but they will buy it like COD fans do.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Because they only need a handful of retarded whales and retarded warriors to make a profit.

Halo is an awesome franchise. Its why the term for a new FPS game was "Halo killer' and not "Killzone killer" or "SOCOM killer"

343 were managed poorly, and those people have paid the price.
Halo will continue, and no doubt the next one will release in a way better shape. Luckily MS doesn't need Halo to carry Xbox any more, as it iowns pretty much every good FPS on the planet now.

Humdinger

That's a lot of dough. But of course, there are a lot of expenses involved in producing, developing, and marketing all those games. I'd like to know the profits, but Phil won't return my calls.

feynoob

Banned
more like not enough to grant story support/DLC-Expansions in this "10-year platform"
They made their bed with that f2p mode. They deserve the result of that mode.

Halo could have had 10 year plan, it they didn't go after that mtx f2p trap. You can't rush out a mode like that with little content. F2p players won't sit around waiting for you to make new content.

They could have done yearly expansion like destiny 2. But greedy company wanted that $$$ f2p.

j.k.2021

Banned
There is only a single reason why Halo Infinite currently isn't one of big FPS games.....It wasn't chasing trends like others fps did with Battle Royale and hero shooters.You can't go against audience demand and then expect different results.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Issue was making the MP F2P.

By making it f2p, they fucked it up badly.
F2p needs a lot of content.
So, if the online was paid then everyone would be happy?

No.

F2p wasn't the problem. Not bringing enough content is the problem, and having it as b2p wouldn't change a thing it would just sting more.

j.k.2021

Banned
They made their bed with that f2p mode. They deserve the result of that mode.

Halo could have had 10 year plan, it they didn't go after that mtx f2p trap. You can't rush out a mode like that with little content. F2p players won't sit around waiting for you to make new content.

They could have done yearly expansion like destiny 2. But greedy company wanted that $$$ f2p.
Greedy?....Everyone used game pass to play the campaign.Nobody is forced to buy skins on f2p multiplayer(I have 2200+ matches and have yet to spend a single penny).Do you even know the definition of greed?...

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Greedy?....Everyone used game pass to play the campaign.Nobody is forced to buy skins on f2p multiplayer(I have 2200+ matches and have yet to spend a single penny).Do you even know the definition of greed?...
So, if the online was paid then everyone would be happy?

No.

F2p wasn't the problem. Not bringing enough content is the problem, and having it as b2p wouldn't change a thing it would just sting more.
Greedy, because they were chasing the f2p model. But screwed horribly, when they released it with little content.

343i could have used that time to add more content to halo infinite and not make it seperate.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Greedy, because they were chasing the f2p model. But screwed horribly, when they released it with little content.

343i could have used that time to add more content to halo infinite and not make it seperate.
I still don't follow your logic.

If they didn't make the online f2p it would just have been included in the halo infinite package.

You think if it was a part of the 70 euro game then it would have been an entire different experience.

It would be the same game either way.

The morons should just have released more maps. Hell even add more old maps or just add anything.

j.k.2021

Banned

They made the multiplayer f2p so everyone who can't afford $70 games can play it.People used $1 game pass trials to play the Halo Infinite campign.So, If you think that this is greed then you are not using your brain.

What time?Do you realize that monetization team is different from devs. who work on the game?...🤦‍♂️Don't be a simpleton.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
I still don't follow your logic.

If they didn't make the online f2p it would just have been included in the halo infinite package.

You think if it was a part of the 70 euro game then it would have been an entire different experience.

It would be the same game either way.

The morons should just have released more maps. Hell even add more old maps or just add anything.
Some idiots act like 343 is selling people loot boxes.It's hilarious. I have gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment out of Halo Infinite multiplayer and i have not spend a penny on skins.However, I would be forced to spend money if multiplayer was part of the full priced game.F2P multiplayer saved me money.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
They made the multiplayer f2p so everyone who can't afford $70 games can play it.People used $1 game pass trials to play the Halo Infinite campign.So, If you think that this is greed then you are not using your brain.

What time?Do you realize that monetization team is different from devs. who work on the game?...🤦‍♂️Don't be a simpleton.
Its free because you can catch large amount of people who will spend money on your games.
Why do you think fortnite and apex legend are making these insane money? Its because of large userbase.
MS was cashing on that.

Graciaus

There is only a single reason why Halo Infinite currently isn't one of big FPS games.....It wasn't chasing trends like others fps did with Battle Royale and hero shooters.You can't go against audience demand and then expect different results.
Or it's full of trash maps with missing features. People moved on.

VAVA Mk2

Certain Affinity is developing the Halo BR right now on Unreal Engine 5...

VAVA Mk2

$10Billion and they couldn't get multiple studios pushing different games every 2 to 3 years instead of just Infinite in the last 7 years? Fuck me.
They were too busy making shit TV adaptations that they knew ahead of them was awful so they said it was in a different timeline a year ahead of release or winning achievement awards while ironically killing the thing they were supposed to take care of and nurture.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"has generated a staggering $10 billion in revenue by 2019"

Doesnt say much about the current Halo though.

j.k.2021

Banned
Or it's full of trash maps with missing features. People moved on.
Which big live service game fps launched in a great shape?....But audience always returned to them after big updates.The issue is simple is that arena shooters are dead.It's a trend.

nush

Gold Member
Revenue, shareholders like that word as long as they don't ask how much of that is actually profit. Or if it's made any profit.

Top Bottom